• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The Immortality/Anti-Aging Meme is on Fire!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:44 PM

Just today, I heard Paul Harvey mention Aubrey De Grey on his noon news. He started with "how would you like to live to 1,000?" Then he proceded to tell very specific details about Aubrey and his engineering approach to defeat aging. All told it might have been a minute of airtime....and a minute on Paul Harvey is HUGE with a capital H. He sometimes adds sarcasm to stories which are in his view "a little extreme" but not with this one. It was straight up reporting. It was very positive.

You know the meme has caught on (CAUGHT ON FIRE!) if it appears on Paul Harvey. For all the young and/or foreign members who don't have a clue who Paul Harvey is....lets just say he is a legend among older generations of Americans. He has a very large audience on radio and is well respected. Here is Paul Harvey's website The mention of Aubrey occurred on the Saturday noon news. I tried to listen to the audio (you can download it from the site) but it didn't work on my computer for some reason.

At this point I would like to re-iterate what Reason mentioned in a previous post. Since we are the number one "Immortality" site on the internet worldwide, we should try to put our best, most respectable face forward. A lot of new people (young and old) will be visiting soon.

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:51 PM

...And now you know the rest of the story.

This is Paul Harvey. Good day. [lol] [lol]

#3 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:32 AM

Thanks Mind,

That is a very good story.

Paul Harvey was serious and he was very positive about Aubrey.

According to WABC radio:

"Radio’s most recognizable voice attracts over 18 million listeners who tune in daily to hear Paul Harvey’s “News and Comment” and “The Rest of The Story.”

http://www.wabcradio...j.asp?DJID=1728

Many in that audience of 18 million might be difficult to reach otherwise.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:51 AM

One of Paul Harvey's first and longest supported commercial products was Geritol.

Coincidence?

Paul is getting long in the tooth. Perhaps he wants to now sell more than snake oil and is looking for a product he can believe in.

#5 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:15 AM

The audio we're interested in was right at the beginning of the noon broadcast (so don't be lazy guys, take a listen).

Total air time: 1:12

Mind, did you notice that Harvey got his facts wrong about Aubrey and the MMP?

#6 kraemahz

• 157 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:37 AM

If we email corrections to them maybe we could irk out a little more air time ;).

#7 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:41 AM

Good idea Kraemahz just be courteous about it please [lol]

It might not hurt to mention the prize and us in greater detail too ;))

#8 kraemahz

• 157 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:59 AM

Paul Harvey's Saturday (Dec. 11) broadcast contained an error when he was talking about Dr. Aubrey de Grey. He said that Aubrey was awarded the "Methuselah medal from that school for extending the life of a mouse." This is incorrect, the Methuselah Mouse Foundation (www.mprize.org) was founded by Dr. de Grey and recently awarded the prize to Dr. Stephen Spindler for his work in increasing the lifespan of middle-aged mice. If you do correct this, I think it's worth noting that the MPrize needs donations from everyday people and doing so will help this research immensely.

The text of my email. I'm sure the more of us who email them the more they'll take note of it.

#9 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:15 AM

Good job. Let's see if he carries the correction.

#10 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:26 AM

Can someone post a direct link to the specific broadcast?

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#11 kraemahz

• 157 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:38 AM

Saturday broadcast -Windows Media Player - Real Player

edit: the WMP link doesn't seem to work, for me at least. The locations are WMP -mms://abcrad.wmod.llnwd.net/a49/external/0102cABAAHQAAAAcDle6yKhvE1c0LnEJnNwFajD8QD92LOnSD/harvey/pm/harveysat12112004.wma and RP - http://play.rbn.com/....smi&proto=rtsp

#12 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:57 AM

I've converted it to MP3 format and trimmed it down to 500k, the announcement starts at 1:50 into the broadcast and he is NOT in any way making fun of the concept. AWESOME!

http://www.kevsplace...ubreyDeGrey.mp3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users