• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Largest Non-Commercial European Rocket Launch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

I don't know how I missed this earlier. They guys from the British TV Show TopGear built a rocket... a BIG rocket. And the thing really worked!

The video is definately worth watching: TopGear Rocket Launch

(Spoiler: The explosion at the end is apparently fake, added later for the TV show, but the rest is real)

Some facts I found:

* 1/5th scale Space Shuttle
* 1.4 Metric Tonnes (3080 lbs)
* Impulse > 200kNs
* Cluster of 6 Hybrid Contrail O motors (two airstarted)
* Size: 27 cubic metres. (>1000 cubic feet)
* Man capable - seating for 4
* 4.5 months from design to ignition

Some more details from the University that helped with the wind tunnel tests.
http://info.uwe.ac.u...me=Top-gear.jpg

and some pics from the production notes:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

Well, 1) it didn't have anyone on board, 2) didn't get anywhere near space (didn't even get as high as a plane flies it didn't appear), and 3) it crashed.

I wasn't really that impressed overall. I guess the sheer size of the rocket made it somewhat of a novelty, but I have seen better performances at amateur rocket launching get togethers.

#3 basho

• Topic Starter
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

I wasn't really that impressed overall. I guess the sheer size of the rocket made it somewhat of a novelty, but I have seen better performances at amateur rocket launching get togethers.

LiveForever, is this you at home? :)
Posted Image

1) it didn't have anyone on board,

True, but this may not have been the best crew vehicle:
Posted Image

2) didn't get anywhere near space (didn't even get as high as a plane flies it didn't appear), and 3) it crashed.

All correct. However, I was impressed more by their audacity in launching something so big just for a laugh. I'm sure, given their budget and the behind-the-scenes people involved, that could have gone for altitude if they wanted. And if that was their goal, I doubt they would have strapped a car to the side. Just the fact that they launched something of that size and shape without testing, and that it didn't blow up on launch, was quite amazing.

It was big:
Posted Image

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:28 AM

Why can't American television show stuff like that? They should have mounted a wireless camera inside the car.

#5 basho

• Topic Starter
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:52 AM

Why can't American television show stuff like that?

Given the current political climate, I think it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, to get permission to launch something of that size in the U.S. I heard there was a strong push by the ATF or Homeland Security a few years ago to restrict model rocketry. I wonder what happened to that?

#6 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

LiveForever, is this you at home? :)

Lol. I think I am pretty fun. It just didn't impress me since it really didn't make it very high, crashed, etc. Perhaps I have just been desensitized to "cool" tech by seeing everything that is displayed online nowadays.

1) it didn't have anyone on board,

True, but this may not have been the best crew vehicle:

Haha; Most definitely not! I wouldn't have brought it up if the original post hadn't said "man capable". That ship most definitely is not "man capable", as you obviously agree.

2) didn't get anywhere near space (didn't even get as high as a plane flies it didn't appear), and 3) it crashed.

All correct. However, I was impressed more by their audacity in launching something so big just for a laugh. I'm sure, given their budget and the behind-the-scenes people involved, that could have gone for altitude if they wanted. And if that was their goal, I doubt they would have strapped a car to the side. Just the fact that they launched something of that size and shape without testing, and that it didn't blow up on launch, was quite amazing.

It was big:

Oh, I agree it was a massive project. Not impressive that it didn't blow up upon launch (I expect that if they knew what they were doing at all that it wouldn't blow up on launch) but disappointing that it didn't go higher and wasn't able to separate the second rocket. (hence crashing)

Sorry, basho. I feel like I am raining on your parade here. It really was pretty neat that a tv show would go to such lengths to try and do something like this. Maybe I was just expecting to be amazed when I saw the description, and when the video wasn't all I had hoped I was disappointed. (kind of like if you over anticipate a movie and then are easily disappointed if it doesn't meet your expectations) Don't get me wrong, it is really cool, I was just expecting spectacular. :))

#7 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

Well, the explosion when it crashed was pretty cool as well. [sfty]

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Well, the explosion when it crashed was pretty cool as well.  [sfty]

You do have a point there. I am always a sucker for a good explosion. [wis]

#9 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

That was pretty cool there...did they offer any explanation as to why it didn't detach?

#10 basho

• Topic Starter
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:02 AM

That was pretty cool there...did they offer any explanation as to why it didn't detach?

I think the explosive bolts didn't fire. Pity, it would have been even more bizarre to see them glide the car in for a landing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users