• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Posts From Jan 25 - 30

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

Dear ImmInst Members,

While attempting to install a new e-newsletter program, all database tables were accidentally deleted by me. Jay Fox has done excellent work to restore the forums, but I'm sorry to say that all posts made between Jan 25 - 30 have been lost.

Thanks for your ongoing support and hopeful forgiveness!

Bruce

#2 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

OK so I will just try to run around reposting everything that I posted over that time.

The ones that most spring to mind were

a) Maestros article on using RNA to turn on genes with my reply about Nature Chemical Biology's RNA focus and
b)the post about my 26th birthday party.

c) My vote
d) As well as that I would really love to know what Jonano said when I asked him if he was planning on starting his own cryonics organisation.;)

Just as well we only lost mere days of posts. Anymore than that and I hate to think what might have happened. Perhaps we should review the backup procedures using the full member forum?

I hope that anything important that was discussed people can bring back from their own memory.

Edited by caston, 31 January 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#3 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for your ongoing support and hopeful forgiveness!

you have commited the unforgiveable Bruce, you must now fight an army or orcs to prove your worthiness. [tung]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

Backup with a cron job daily, keep 1 weeks worth of backups

#5 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

There is a small possibility that we can restore from a backup taken a few days after the backup I restored the database from. If so, we can cut our losses from 5.75 days to about 2 days. However, doing so would mean losing everything posted since I restored the database.

[wis]

There might be a way to save everything posted since we restored the database, then merging it back in after we restore the database. It would be complicated, as post and topic IDs would collide, etc. So I'm more inclined to just let everything posted since last night be sacrificed for the sake of restoring three or more days' worth of pre-nuke content.

I'll keep the membership posted. For now, at least for the next day or two, if you have any remarks that you are going to post that you don't want lost, keep a backup on your side just in case. ;))

#6 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

Backup with a cron job daily, keep 1 weeks worth of backups

Yeah, shame on me for not setting that up months ago. I feel like a loser right now, if that makes anyone feel better.

Anyway, we're set up to back up the entire server twice a week, but I'm going to add a cron job to back up the forum database at least once daily, if not twice (it's only 60-100 MB per backup if compressed).

#7 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

d) As well as that I would really love to know what Jonano said when I asked him if he was planning on starting his own cryonics organisation.;)

Ask jonano about CryoQuebec and 6 Levels of Membership, for The School of Futurology. And why he is banned from The Cold Filter, and about Nanoaging.

This is off topic so it can be moved were it needs to go.

#8 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Check your personal caches to see what data can be recovered. I found many of the lost votes on my computer by this method.

Could everyone please follow these instructions to confirm if you can do what I just did. I have been able to recover 9 votes from the period of Jan 28th at 22.48 EST to Jan 30th at 4:08 (am) EST.

I did this by using my own computers cache. I placed the browser in work offline mode, then I activated my computer history and went back to before the damage was done and looked to see if I had surfed the thread in question and what data was left in my temp files.

It worked for much of the vote record.

I also suggest that you leave the primary browser you use, that has the most data in the work offline mode and then to sign on in a secondary browser like firefox or mozilla. I am doing this now and it works fine for me in WinXP Pro. I have left IE7 offline for data recovery and am making this post by Firefox.

#9 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, shame on me for not setting that up months ago. I feel like a loser right now, if that makes anyone feel better.

Anyway, we're set up to back up the entire server twice a week, but I'm going to add a cron job to back up the forum database at least once daily, if not twice (it's only 60-100 MB per backup if compressed).

Jay, don't beat yourself up. Siht happens and it's not like you don't have a life to live. I'm sure the pay could be better too.

#10 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

Sysadmin 101: Always make backups before doing major maintenance and upgrade work.

Life 101: Real men don't backup, real men cry allot!

[tung]

#11 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

Forget traditional backups, real men read the database in a binary file editor and memorise it.

#12 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

I will likely be restoring the forum database sometime in the next 12 hours, depending on if/when I get approval from leadership.

So on the bright side, we'll recover about an additional three and a half days of lost posts.

Unfortunately, we'll lose everything posted since I restored last night. The new posts and topics could be reintegrated into the forum, but because of the possibility of conflicting topic and forum IDs, merging in the new material will not be trivial and is frankly not worth the effort. Most of the new material so far is just damage control related to the lost data, and we'll be able to recover some of the more important discussions from personal browser caches.

So anyway, just a heads up, and a reminder that any posts you make that you consider true "gems", you should save a copy on your personal computer in case you need to repost it later tonight or tomorrow.

#13 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

A lot of page snapshots could also be helpful for the record too for not just your own posts but those of others that may not get a chance act to protect their posts.

#14 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

I thought I broke the rules and nobody told me, this is good news

#15 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

this is good news

That's a very relative statement... [wis]

Losing six (or even just two) days' worth of posts is not usually "good news"... hehe

#16 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

A lot of page snapshots could also be helpful for the record too for not just your own posts but those of others that may not get a chance act to protect their posts.

This is rather annoying as I had just made 2 posts about my new wearable computer and CES (Cranial Electro Stimulation) device which nobody responded to and my browser cache is cleared daily. :(

#17 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:55 PM

I think someone in leadership has a copy of that post. I'll see if I can find out if we still have it, and we can send it to you to repost after I restore the forum database again.

#18 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

This is rather annoying as I had just made 2 posts about my new wearable computer

I have found one part of that thread in my cache:

All that's missing in my first wearable PC is the camera drivers (unfortunately I purchased a USB webcam with no drivers) and a fully charged battery.

On the software side of things everything works great, on the hardware side I have a laptop with scan converter in a backpack with a big pile of batteries, and a cable coming out to the head mounted display, then another cable coming out to the keypad I use to control it. The whole thing cost less than £1000GBP to build including the laptop, the bag, the cabling, the batteries, the HMD and the keypad together with wireless networking hardware.

Soon i'll be posting pics here, and once i've got this thing all working nicely and optimised the software more (i'd like faster booting times and clearer fonts etc) then i'll be building myself an EEG and CES device.

#19 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

yay

you don't happen to have my other post in the nootropics board on the "a rather stupid idea" thread do you?

#20 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

you don't happen to have my other post in the nootropics board on the "a rather stupid idea" thread do you?

no, unfortunately not, but I have found parts of these topics:
- time is what a clock measures
- Global Warming - The Little Known Underlying Cause, Specific Solution
- podcast, youtube
- A new forum is available for young cryonicists
- Mistakes in movies
- Suicide Bomber - 21 Miles from where I Live
- immortalism and environmental movement
- Apollo 1 command module fire, 40 years ago today,

Edited by Matthias, 31 January 2007 - 11:55 PM.

#21 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:05 AM

That's good, I was there,

-Stephen

#22 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

Holly.......! was this topic on the General Forum, by start?!

-Infernity

#23 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

I'll post the content of all of them soon.

Holly.......! was this topic on the General Forum, by start?!

yes, I think so. ..why not?

#24 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

yes, I think so. ..why not?

Hm cuz the first post I wrote on this thread shouldn't be here :S will remove it OMG :///

-Inf.

#25 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

done.

-Inf.

#26 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

[tung]

-Stephen

#27 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

Sorry about that last post, I think my son posted that (he's four).

#28 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

Sorry about that last post, I think my son posted that (he's four).

I wondered about it, ok.

-Stephen

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users