• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Life

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:17 AM

Posted Image

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

Is this your art?

• Lurker

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:53 AM

Nice....who made this?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:09 AM

Not sure who made it. Just saw it here and thought it was pretty.

It kind of reminded me of "The Giving Tree" which was one of my favorite books when I was little:

#5 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:53 AM

That picture is awesome, growing old really blows...

Yeah, The Giving Tree never loses its significance...

Got a sort-of-relevant question for everyone who comes across this thread (be honest), who here keeps a journal or record of their life? I used to think that sort of thing was only for teenage girls... but now I am realizing that it will be very important to me when I am older, and my children (If we can't figure out immortality in time)... It will be very nice to sit down 80 years from now and read things I was writing now... I now keep records of significant milestones in my life, important things that I come to realize, hardships, and what my life is generally like nowadays, as a reference for the future... so, who here does this? I can't be the only one [glasses]

#6 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:23 AM

Those paitings =teh<345

Got a sort-of-relevant question for everyone who comes across this thread (be honest), who here keeps a journal or record of their life? I used to think that sort of thing was only for teenage girls... but now I am realizing that it will be very important to me when I am older, and my children (If we can't figure out immortality in time)... It will be very nice to sit down 80 years from now and read things I was writing now... I now keep records of significant milestones in my life, important things that I come to realize, hardships, and what my life is generally like nowadays, as a reference for the future... so, who here does this? I can't be the only one  [glasses]

I've kept a serious, ">95% of the time" journal for one period of my life, less than a year, when I worked and lived in Banff in 2004. I have always had a pretty poor memory, but having me document my life so very in the moment helps me remember things immensly. That summer was a changing experience for me in so many ways, life, love, learning, all that fun stuff. I can remember so much of it in part because not only did I write the information itself down, but I empowered those events even further by taking the time out to write it down. Tattooing the night in a book.

Everyday should be noteworthy for some small reason. [thumb]

</self-empowerment program speech>

I should start again

#7 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:28 AM

- Poignant

Pictures are often heavier and more succint than words could ever be

[lol] :) [mellow] :(

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:58 AM

Got a sort-of-relevant question for everyone who comes across this thread (be honest), who here keeps a journal or record of their life? I used to think that sort of thing was only for teenage girls... but now I am realizing that it will be very important to me when I am older, and my children (If we can't figure out immortality in time)... It will be very nice to sit down 80 years from now and read things I was writing now... I now keep records of significant milestones in my life, important things that I come to realize, hardships, and what my life is generally like nowadays, as a reference for the future... so, who here does this? I can't be the only one  [glasses]

I kept one for awhile but kind of fell out of it somewhat. (although I still write in it occasionally) It is really a lot like free therapy because it allows you to share a part of yourself that you normally wouldn't. I think everyone would be a lot better grounded if we all kept journals.

#9 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for sharing that. I remember that story fondly. Shel is missed.

I wish I had kept a consistent diary growing up. I've held on to lots of momentos and spotty journal entries, though.

#10 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:20 AM

It's interesting to see that at least a few other people see the value in keeping a record of their life... I usually only make an entry 1-2 times a month, but if anything, I make sure I do atleast one per month…

I have a picture here somewhere similar to the one you posted Nate, in the fact that it showed the life stages... I don't remember exactly what depicted, but if I find it, I'll post it.

#11 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

The picture and 'The Giving Tree' remind me of the animation

'The Beauty of Life':

#12 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

The third picture of the old guy in the hat reminds me of a personal experience from a few years ago.

I was visiting a regional town in Japan during the holiday period, and had just gotten off the train at one of the smaller country stations. There was a thin old man at the station, dressed in his best suit and hat, carry some presents, I guess for his grandkids and family. You know the sort guy, one that had probably worked his entire life to give his kids a bit of a future. Maybe he was catching the train to the city to meet his family, or was visiting the town from somewhere else. I'll never know.

At the top of the stairs he collapsed. And just like that, he was dead. I remember him lying face down, his plastic bag of gifts still clutched in his hand. He died alone, just an anonymous old man.

I still wonder what his family went through that year.

#13 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:18 AM

The third picture of the old guy in the hat reminds me of a personal experience from a few years ago.

I was visiting a regional town in Japan during the holiday period, and had just gotten off the train at one of the smaller country stations.  There was a thin old man at the station, dressed in his best suit and hat, carry some presents, I guess for his grandkids and family.  You know the sort guy, one that had probably worked his entire life to give his kids a bit of a future.  Maybe he was catching the train to the city to meet his family, or was visiting the town from somewhere else. I'll never know.

At the top of the stairs he collapsed.  And just like that, he was dead.  I remember him lying face down, his plastic bag of gifts still clutched in his hand.  He died alone, just an anonymous old man.

I still wonder what his family went through that year.

That is sad. I am assuming he had a heart attack or something. I am sure his family suffered greatly that year.

Death sucks.

#14 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:42 AM

Very sad story... I wonder what Leon Kass would have to say about it...

#15 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:05 AM

Anyone know where I can find a High Res Version? What a beautiful picture.

#16 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:18 AM

That would make a really nice poster to put on the wall.

#17 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:03 AM

You can extend out the background and make it into a wallpaper for your computer, kind of like this:
http://img108.images...allpapergf5.jpg

As far as the image, Adonis Werther is the artist. His deviantart page is at: http://adoniswerther.deviantart.com/ (here is the link to that specific image: http://www.deviantar.....me -in:scraps although he has several more) and his fotocommunity profile page is at http://www.fotocommu...yprofile/674224 with additional works at http://www.fotocommu...c/mypics/674224

#18 halcyondays

• 93 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:49 AM

That's a depressing photo.

#19 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

As immortalists, we are working to extend the second picture out as long as possible.

#20 Pointdexter

• 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

But from the perspective of learning, it is the first picture that must be exaggerated.

#21 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

i've never kept a journal of my life events but i started 3 years ago. what prompted me to write was this: i did my first overseas trip to Europe (from Australia) back in '87 and about 3 years ago i discovered a journal i had written of that 3 month holiday trip - i had completely forgotten i had written it. it literally blew my mind because reading my writing triggered memories that i never knew i had yet remembering from so long ago brought back amazingly vivid images of Greece, Italy, Spain, France, England and Germany.

now like Joseph, I keep notes and meanderings of my life and events that occur. i believe its therapeutic simply because it lets me 'get it out'. i don't revisit though and read them, just pack the notes away.

#22 jdog

• 227 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

This Adonis Werther kid is pretty good. Thanks for posting that link, I haven't been to deviantart.com for awhile. Forgot all about it.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users