• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Help Travelling To Transvision 04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 John Doe

• 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:40 AM

Hello. I intend to travel to Transvision 04 in Toronto this August 5-8 -- where my offer to give a presentation has been accepted

http://www.transhuma...resenters.shtml

Because my father is a pilot for Delta Airlines, flying to Toronto airport should not be a problem. However, as an unemployed (I am interning at an engineering firm this summer, without pay, before I go to William & Mary Law School next year) student, I only have about 200$ for travel expenses. My parents feel obligated to pay for my food and housing during the summer, but have no such obligation to support my travel expenses to conferences.

If anyone can provide advice or assistance for: (i) travelling between airports, University of Toronto, and lodging and (ii) finding cheap food and room & board, I would be very appreciative. I would love to share a room with someone at the conference and split the cost. I would also like to post this advertisement on other mailing lists and message boards (which do you recommend?).

Thank you,

Kip Werking

#2 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 12:46 AM

Lodging: http://www.hostels.com/ca.on.to.html

Hostels have rooms from $15.71 per night. 4 nights for around $60. Hostels usually offer an endless supply of pancakes and coffee, and often have super-cheap food places located in the area. $200 should be more than enough to cover all your expenses; I was able to do Las Vegas for less.

For travel, you have 3 options; 1) taxi, 2) public transit, and 3) walking. In Las Vegas I walked from the airport to the hostel because I was way too cheap to pay a taxi. Re public transit, you can find all the information you need about Toronto's public transit with some quick googling.

#3 John Doe

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:42 AM

Lodging:  http://www.hostels.com/ca.on.to.html

Hostels have rooms from $15.71 per night.  4 nights for around $60.  Hostels usually offer an endless supply of pancakes and coffee, and often have super-cheap food places located in the area.  $200 should be more than enough to cover all your expenses; I was able to do Las Vegas for less.

For travel, you have 3 options; 1) taxi, 2) public transit, and 3) walking.  In Las Vegas I walked from the airport to the hostel because I was way too cheap to pay a taxi.  Re public transit, you can find all the information you need about Toronto's public transit with some quick googling.

Fantastic! There is one located on the University of Toronto Campus!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:27 AM

Will stay with you guys... I'll be there by 12 Noon on Thr Aug 5.

I'll have a car. I have a single reserved for 5-Thr 6-Fri 7-Sat:

University of Toronto New College Residences, Toronto, Canada
40 Willcocks Street
http://www.hostels.c...stelNumber=6702

3 Night Total: $114.45 US
From Thu 5 Aug '04 to Sat 7 Aug '04 -- 1 bed per night.
Amount Charged on Card: USD 13.45
Amount due on arrival: CAD 131.22

DIRECTIONS:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Union Station:
Take the subway from Union to Spadina Station. The fare is CAN$2.25.
From Spadina Station, walk south on Spadina Avenue 5 blocks until you reach Willcocks Street. New College is located on the northeast corner of Spadina and Willcocks. Total trip time from Union Station is around 20 minutes.

From the Central Bus Station:
The Central Bus Station is located on Bay, just north of Dundas. Take the westbound Dundas streetcar (ask for a transfer) until you reach Spadina Avenue. Get off, and take the northbound Spadina streetcar until you reach the Willcocks stop. New College is located on the northeast corner of Spadina and Willcocks. Streetcar fare is CAN$2.25, and the toal trip time is around 15 minutes.

From Pearson Int'l Airport: The quickest and easiest way to get to New College form Pearson Int'l is an airport taxi. If you ask for a flat rate to New College (intersection - Spadina/Willcocks), it will cost around CAN$45. Total trip time depending on traffic will be 25-50 minutes.

#5 John Doe

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:53 AM

Bruce, I would be glad to stay with you. I just registered for the conference tonight.

Feel free to email or post the details of how I should pay you for staying at the hostel.

See you there.

Kip

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:24 PM

Hmm, I have a single. Not sure how that would work for sleeping.. but if you can, feel free to stay with me.

See above for details on booking a room.

#7 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:34 AM

Anyone know how strict they are (or may be) about sharing a single room?

#8 John Doe

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:54 AM

Bruce,

My understanding was that you wanted to share a room. If the single is too small, however, that is ok. Otherwise, I do not mind sleeping on a cot, couch, or floor. I am just trying to save costs. Michael tells me that the atmosphere at hostels is casual and he encouraged me to ask about sharing a room with people when I arrived. He wrote that the hostel would even group me together with strangers. In either case, I will see you there.

Kip

#9 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:23 AM

I wonder how full New College Residences is. If possible, we may delay until Thr to reserve rooms, but either way, my room is open to as much floor space as possible to anyone who wants to live forever.

#10 yosa

• 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:50 AM

Dear Bruce,

I will also take your offer, and I will be happy to stay with any immortalists in Toronto:-)

It will be a real pleasure to meet you and Kip...

Immortally yours,

#11 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:38 PM

Please direct future posts here: http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=159&t=3377

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users