• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

How long do you want to live

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: How long do you want to live? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How long do you want to live?

1. Billions of years (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Trillions of years (0 votes [0.00%])

3. A googol years (0 votes [0.00%])

4. A googolplex years (0 votes [0.00%])

5. More than a googolplexian years (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Nine hundred years (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

7. much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much longer than a googolplexian. (14 votes [93.33%])

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 space3456

• 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:23 AM

How long do you want to live?

#2 space3456

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:24 AM

The last vote should say ''much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much longer than a googolplexian years.''

#3 space3456

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:41 AM

There is an infinite multiverse out there with an infinite number of other universes and immortals will leave this universe and go to another universe when/if this universe has a heat death. The multiverse is the eternal place.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:47 AM

There's no "until I decide to stop" option up there. Of course, these sorts of questions get complicated by the strategies that would be required to be an entity capable of living that long.

Reason
Founder, Longevity
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#5 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:57 AM

Didn't we run one of these polls a long time ago?

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:51 AM

Yes, "For how long do you expect to want to live?"
http://www.imminst.o...&f=106&t=830&s=

Heh, this poll doesn't have "Forever"

#7 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

I think that "much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much longer than a googolplexian" is the closest answer to eternity although it is just not it, couldn't you simply put also *forever*? heh.
space3456,
Did you not put that option over here because you do not believe it is possible or anything...?

~Infernity

#8 space3456

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:07 AM

Quote-''space3456,
Did you not put that option over here because you do not believe it is possible or anything...?''

No, there's no way someone can say that it's not possible to live for eternity.

#9 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:36 AM

Oh well cool then.
If there is anything that's for sure, that would be- everything is possible... (and so living forever).
About the poll question again- I would like to find myself alive in much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much longer than a googolplexian yeah, but who said I don't wanna live more than that [tung] , heh. well than it still makes the answer attempting to become close to forever (although it is not, but that's on the way...) [thumb]

Yours
~Infernity

#10 tbeal

• 105 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

clearly forever because even beeing bored and depressed from now until my trillionth birthday would mean nothing to me if my trillionth was a laugh

#11 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

tbeal,
Are you planning to get bored?! (look at this thread that running now): http://www.imminst.o...=ST&f=89&t=1018
Heh it was running actually a year ago, but since I were reading few old posts and I've just replyed it...
Moreover, is being dead is more intersting?! also, if you'll die- all of what you did will be nothing more than vanity, oblivion, nothing...

Yours
~Infernity

#12 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:52 AM

I don't think that everything you have ever done is in vain if you do end up dying. The things I do I believe count very much, even if it is only to me, and even if it is only to me while I live.

#13 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:40 AM

here's one for ya, until Time itself is no longer a limitation. Then there will be no mention of this many years or that many years, but more of a continuation of eternity. By the "time" the universe is being subjected to a heat death, i will have advanced to such a point as to maintain dominion over everything in existence. [sfty] So there won't be any running like a dog with it's tail between its legs, but a confrontation of intelligence, and the universe will lose. [:o] aside from that I guess you could say that i lack ambition.

#14 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:49 AM

Elrond, but when you're dead- you are just... [take a big breath] nothing, stone, like before you were born, dead, vain, didn't remain, oblivion, vanity, nothing has left, nothing is worth, nothing has ever been done, nothing will matter and nothing you've become, all you did were simply nothing, if it wasn't for you, it doesn't matter at all, and since "you are" dead- "you are" nothing, so simply nothing matters, or mattered and obviously never will.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#15 tbeal

• 105 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:14 AM

ye I tend to agree with you infernity it only seems to matter to when your alive

#16 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

tbeal, if you shall die, then it never mattered, even when you was alive, it simply like never happend, and something that never happend does not matter.
I won't be for caring and I shall be never was and I won't "shall be" if death will overtake me. As you see I'm even having problems describing such nothing! just nonexistence it is........ nothing...!
So, "never sleep, never die"- Evanescence - Whisper

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

Edited by infernity, 24 March 2005 - 09:20 AM.

#17 space3456

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:02 AM

Quote-''there is anything that's for sure, that would be- everything is possible... (and so living forever).
About the poll question again- I would like to find myself alive in much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much longer than a googolplexian yeah, but who said I don't wanna live more than that , heh. well than it still makes the answer attempting to become close to forever (although it is not, but that's on the way...)''

It would be interesting to see how the technology is a googolplexian years from now. Wouldn't you like to live to see how the technology is a googolplexian years from now? And also, a googolplexian years is only a speck of dust compared to forever. You still have forever after a googolplexian years to go. A googolplexian years would feel like eternity, but would be far from eternity (which will take forever to reach on our eternal journey).

#18 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

True, space3456 the answer of everything, OH I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER OF EVERYTHING! not god and not 42 and not rubbish, but BEEN ALIVE. simple isn't it? too simple for you to understand? let me complax it by an explanation: We have to live at the time to know for certain what will happen, so we actually are going to have answers to everything as for as long as we are alive. True there are infinite numer of things we don't know, but if our lifespan will match the infinity- we will have answers to everything. living is the answer. Life. so simple. now we need sub-answer- to everything, but first- we have to live long enough to live forever.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

P.s. I invite all to the 10,000 birthday of Elrond (sorry buddy I couldn't resist. I have to meet them all anyway), but changes might be since I'm not sure he want you all invited [tung] .
Don't worry I'll remind you if there is a need to. lol
And I think I just lost my invitation...

#19 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:31 PM

My 10,000th birthday will be fun. There will be catering, a band, an open bar. It will be a great time. I've tried to line up a venue, but they won't book that far in advance. I'll keep you guys updated.

;)

#20 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

Elrond, but when you're dead- you are just... [take a big breath] nothing, stone, like before you were born, dead, vain, didn't remain, oblivion, vanity, nothing has left, nothing is worth, nothing has ever been done, nothing will matter and nothing you've become, all you did were simply nothing, if it wasn't for you, it doesn't matter at all, and since "you are" dead- "you are" nothing, so simply nothing matters, or mattered and obviously never will.

There is a big difference between being dead, and being never born. After I'm dead I will have already existed, and perhaps cared about one thing or another. Maybe I could have seen forward, and hoped in the future for something to be fulfilled. And even if my life terminates before that thing comes to fruition it does matter to me now whether it eventually does happen. And this moment of me caring will exist forever.

Just because something ends does not mean it is undone. I am happy for my life, and it has meaning, whether it lasts another minute, or another billion billion years.

I do not want to die, I love life, but I do not fear death

#21 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

Well Elrond, I disagree on this, it is reasonable to not see it in my way, since this is kind of almost unexplainable, I believe that when you die, it has no differences at all than not being born, this is just nonexistence, the brain is like has no energy (glucose and oxygen), all is simply dying, there won't be any memory, there won't be any awarness, there won't be any you, there won't be any thing (there won't be anything)... Not being born is the same thing, not having the energy produced, not being...
As there is no you- there is simply nothing, oblivion, all you did was forogtten, never happened, you are nothing, not even "you".
That is like unexplainable, when it'll be possible to upload, you all guys shall have that notion of the total oblivion that death means, Till than all you have to do is try to understand.
I do believe that if it would be possible to keep the self and let it continue improving in the singular way of the self, than being dead is not that bad, physical immortality in my opinion is necessary just because we don't know any other way to keep what's really important yet.
Elrond, did you read pages 277-278 in the book The First Immortal by James L. Halperin? That is a good notion of what is the self, from that it is possible to develop the notion of the total nothing that death means, after you clearly know what is actually *you*.
I hope you realize now what I mean, I just believe that as long as it is not possible to go back in time or preserving the *you* and also developing it in the way that *you* exactly would- death is like not being born, and as we all know (I hope)- there is nothing then.
Well, one of the harder things to explain is *nothing*, with the whole signification.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users