• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Simultaneous Worldwide Flyer Postings

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#91 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

My personal goal, is to have the entire world paying attention.

To make a really big flyer that flies around the sun
it takes a bulldozer, a gps receiver, a salt desert and two weeks of time
"Google Earth"-fans will love it ;-)

(BTW the "C" in this photo is the Burning Man festival)

Attached Files

#92 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

My personal goal, is to have the entire world paying attention.

To make a really big flyer that flies around the sun
it takes a bulldozer, a gps receiver, a salt desert and two weeks of time
"Google Earth"-fans will love it ;-)

Now THAT is a great long term project!

LOL, talk about immortality. Lets do the egyptians and make an eternal monument to our cause which will become one of the 8 wonders of the world!

#93 roof01

• 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

I like the light bulb one. Or the cute puppy. But I don't think the old lady in the mirror is effective, people will quickly file it under "fairy tale". Also it seems to be a little bit wierd, not really "fresh".

My 0.02$.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

I like the light bulb one. Or the cute puppy. But I don't think the old lady in the mirror is effective, people will quickly file it under "fairy tale". Also it seems to be a little bit wierd, not really "fresh".

My 0.02$.

It comes from the promotion of our film from: http://www.imminst.org/film.php

I tend to agree with you, although it is probably the only image used so far that we actually have the rights to use. (not sure if this matters or not)

#95 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:39 AM

Mitkat, up for some street art?

Hello, and yes! As I'm back in Toronto this week, I'll be talking with my friends in the know with teh urban art. Many of them transhumanist sympathizers etc, they've seen the site before, and serious grafitti artists in my bunch are pretty progressive. The only problem that would come from any culture jamming/street art would be the legal aspect. Obviously not a major crime, and the odds of an actual charge even being laid are none, but is this kind of image we want to associate with the institute? Personally, I'm all for it, as younger people are *much* more savvy on advertising and will respond better to the originality, creativity and bold nature of such viral advertising - which I certainly consider grafitti to be a part of, in a very honest, "hip" way. I'm only home for a week or so and have an absolutely massive paper presentation due at the end of march, but after that I'm back in Toronto full-time and can get onboard 100%.

I really like what's giong on here. Shane, you're doing a great job stirring up great ideas [thumb]. Everyone's making great contrubtions!

Edited by mitkat, 25 February 2007 - 05:53 AM.

#96 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Alright, Im in. My email is brokenportal03@hotmail.com

I recomend getting everybodies email, compiling it in a cc: or whatever you call that thing, and then reminding everybody who sends you their email address at that time. I also recomend starting a second thread emphasizing that all who are in leave an email address so you can remind them on a certain date. I also recomend perhaps, maybe not, but, asking Bruce or somebody who helps put this site together to put a 1 through 10 of people who have posted the most flyers for this, as a side note somewhere on the front page for a couple weeks.

Ive already put up hundreds of imminst flyers around my town on different occasions in the past, so anybody who is up to the challenge of who can do the most, Ide love to take you on.

Edited by brokenportal, 04 March 2007 - 11:59 PM.

#97 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

Ive already put up hundreds of imminst flyers around my town on different occasions in the past, so anybody who is up to the challenge of who can do the most, Ide love to take you on.

I think that is a great idea. Not as a necessary part of the promotion, but definitely as a bragging point after the fact. I'll try to beat you brokenportal, and I encourage all of our members to to take on this additional challenge when the day comes too.

I recomend getting everybodies email, compiling it in a cc: or whatever you call that thing, and then reminding everybody who sends you their email address at that time. I also recomend starting a second thread emphasizing that all who are in leave an email address so you can remind them on a certain date.

That shouldn't be necessary. I believe this thread will be mentioned in a newsletter coming up, so all members should know about it. Secondly, I said in the beginning, and I remind everyone now: SUBSCRIBE to this thread. That is 'Track Topic by email', if you are unsure how to do that, it is a check box when you reply, and it is also in the top right corner of the thread screen (track topic).

Thirdly, there will most certainly be an ImmInst wide email reminding everyone when the time is upon us. So even if people don't follow the thread and participate in the ideas and its progress, then will at least be able to still participate in the final result.

I also recomend perhaps, maybe not, but, asking Bruce or somebody who helps put this site together to put a 1 through 10 of people who have posted the most flyers for this, as a side note somewhere on the front page for a couple weeks.

yeah, sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll see how it goes though.

#98 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

I just had another idea. What if instead of plastering the physical world with pamphlets, we were to make an effort to contact unique individuals we are familiar with from their online persona's or from articles or books they have authored. There are still many thousand bright, inquisitive and engaging people who have never seriously considered the possibility of physcial immortalism. In the past I have only emailed a couple different people about the concept and although one never responded, the other one indicated that he had multiple interactions with members of our community.

Many of these people are thought leaders and would be most welcome participants in our community.

#99 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

I just had another idea. What if instead of plastering the physical world with pamphlets, we were to make an effort to contact unique individuals we are familiar with from their online persona's or from articles or books they have authored. There are still many thousand bright, inquisitive and engaging people who have never seriously considered the possibility of physcial immortalism. In the past I have only emailed a couple different people about the concept and although one never responded, the other one indicated that he had multiple interactions with members of our community.

Many of these people are thought leaders and would be most welcome participants in our community.

This is an excellent idea, LSP. Reach out to those who we know we have a better chance of reaching first.

Further more, I do not recommend the total plastering of areas with flyers. A well-planned delivery and actual 'flyering' - that is, handing them out to people, leaving small pamphlets in places of interest, ie University libraries, etc) would be way more successful. Also, posting flyers en masse can be and often is incredibly wasteful. We need to be somewhat calculated in how we do this.

#100 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:41 PM

This is an excellent idea, LSP. Reach out to those who we know we have a better chance of reaching first.

Further more, I do not recommend the total plastering of areas with flyers. A well-planned delivery and actual 'flyering' - that is, handing them out to people, leaving small pamphlets in places of interest, ie University libraries, etc) would be way more successful. Also, posting flyers en masse can be and often is incredibly wasteful. We need to be somewhat calculated in how we do this.

Do we? I mean, I don't doubt what you are saying is true....but if every ImmInst member posts 10 flyers according to their own gut feeling/logical plan, then even if some of it is 'wasted' the overall effect will be well worth it.

No doubt you want to post the flyers in the most visible area possible and you want people to actually pay attention to it, so post them with that in mind, but its not like we are using a critically rare resource here. We're talking about minimal work and virtually no cost.

The only recommendation I am certain of, is to avoid 'over plastering', that is, don't annoy people by putting too many all over the place. Aside from that though, I can't see any problem with going to town with them....

RE SolarLP: I certainly don't see those two activities as mutually exclusive. The reason I am instigating this is simply because it can't hurt, and it can be done alongside anything, and once it has been launched, we have a resource of flyers available on the website for anyoen to download and post anytime in the future.

Lets do your suggestion as well!

#101 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

One thought on where to paste them up: In bathrooms at the urinals. (like in restaurants, malls, etc.) When I am standing there relieving myself, and there is something to read, I always read it.

#102 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

LOL, very very true.

#103 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:18 AM

That shouldn't be necessary. I believe this thread will be mentioned in a newsletter coming up, so all members should know about it.

True.

#104 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:09 AM

Go into the local health food or wholefoods store and place flyers inside of the free magazines they give out. Additionally, find out whether your local council has a paper aimed at senior citizens. I know my local council does. We could get an add placed in the paper or ask if we have the flyers placed in the paper.

Piggyback marketing. We can jump onto the back of established publications.

#105 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:23 AM

Brilliant Zoolander! I will start to compile a list of 'Possible Locations to Post your Flyer'
So far we have urinals (LOL),
health and age-associated publications,
notice boards around universities,
telegraph poles in highly public areas
community notice boards
workplace notice boards.

I will start preparing a summary of the topics and the contributed ideas on this project soon, and I will try to post it so that it is the first post on page 7.

#106 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

I do love the urinals idea! Anyway just to say I'm happy to do my bit and can stick some up around my own uni and the uni near where I love. Maybe even try to get some around the bus stops near the uni as well - give people something to read (and think about) whilst they're waiting.

#107 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

I do love the urinals idea! Anyway just to say I'm happy to do my bit and can stick some up around my own uni and the uni near where I love. Maybe even try to get some around the bus stops near the uni as well - give people something to read (and think about) whilst they're waiting.

Definitely. And I dare say we will try to keep this in mind as we continue to design the flyers. While in general I agree that simply providing a single line heading which gets people's interest in going to the website is the best idea, I think it might be worth designing at least one flyer with some real content on it, so you can post that in places where people are stuck for a while and might want to read. That way, even if they don't come to the website, we are still exposing them to the idea. Which is what is important IMO.

Perhaps on the inside of toilet cubicles for instance....

#108 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

... and can stick some up around my own uni and the uni near where I love

I do of course mean the uni near where I live, although I do love here as well as live here. You get my meaning.

But I agree with your proposal Aegist. If I'm waiting for a bus I often look at the flyers people have posted up to give me something to do and I imagine most people are the same. The idea of having two sorts of poster would be a good one.

#109 Normal Dan

• 112 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have a brilliant idea:

When this thread is all said and done and we have the fliers all done up and ready to distribute, you could PM everyone (or you could just PM me) and let us (me) know about this thread and the fliers. I have a fear I will get busy with things and forget about this thread when time comes to distribute. I do not want that to happen.

Just a thought.

#110 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

I have a brilliant idea:

When this thread is all said and done and we have the fliers all done up and ready to distribute, you could PM everyone (or you could just PM me) and let us (me) know about this thread and the fliers.  I have a fear I will get busy with things and forget about this thread when time comes to distribute.  I do not want that to happen.

Just a thought.

There will be an email or PM announcement when everything is ready. Everyone will be informed and able to participate.

#111 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:33 AM

We are destined to be the last mortal generation.

Unless we act now.

ImmInst.org

How's that for high impact curiosity generation?

#112 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:36 AM

I could put up flyers

#113 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:49 AM

I could put up flyers

Great to have your support treonsverdery. Subscribe to this thread, offer any thoughts, feedback, ideas or designs you ahve come up with yourself if you ever want to, and when the day comes about, everyone will be well forwarned, and we will have a one week time frame to post as many flyers as we humanly can. It will be a flyer-post-off.

i think it will be great fun ;) We can each come back each night and tally how many new flyers we put up each day, and try to compete with each other LOL.

#114 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

We are destined to be the last mortal generation.

Unless we act now.

ImmInst.org

How's that for high impact curiosity generation?

How about something even more direct, like:

We're all going to die !

But it doesn't have to be that way.

ImmInst.org

We can each come back each night and tally how many new flyers we put up each day, and try to compete with each other

That sounds like a challenge and I do like them [thumb] But also, if you're going to add tear-off strips, it might also be a good indicator for people to go back and see how many of these have actually been taken? You can put up a thousand posters easy enough but it's no good if nobody is taking any interest.

#115 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

How about something even more direct, like:

We're all going to die !

But it doesn't have to be that way.

ImmInst.org

The only reason I like that response less, is because it sounds like it is trying to be extreme in order to get attention. I feel like it is the sort of thing someone would use to promote some new skincare product, or attract attention to global warming.
-Which of course might in fact be a good thing... (which is why this thread exists...we need all of the ideas available to see which are the most liked)

We can each come back each night and tally how many new flyers we put up each day, and try to compete with each other

That sounds like a challenge and I do like them [thumb] But also, if you're going to add tear-off strips, it might also be a good indicator for people to go back and see how many of these have actually been taken? You can put up a thousand posters easy enough but it's no good if nobody is taking any interest.

I was thinking the same thing.

#116 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Actually, to put it another way, I don't like it as much because it feels almost corny. It is such an expected statement.

THe last mortal generation is strange, different, unexpected.

#117 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought it was great (your idea, Aegist). I did actually start writing a slightly different response but it came across a bit wrong. Basically the gist of it was putting something like "last generation to be mortal" might instantly turn some people off. Agreed, "we're all going to die" does sound very corny and rather crude, but it also has a direct impact that everyone can understand.

But I guess it depends who you want to attract as your key markets. Short, clear, plain wording will perhaps attract a wider audience, but the general trend of people here seems to be more intellectual/educated and those kinds of people may be better targeted.

#118 siberia

• 91 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

How about "We're all going to die. - But wouldn't you like to postpone it for a few decades, or more-[huge questionmark]" instead. This I fantisize would get people to think about death's inevitability, and at the same time suggesting it is evitable.

Is this a good idea: Text like "Feeling you don't have not enough time on your hands?" NOT mixed with an image of a guy at hurry. But rather an image of person(s) involved with some more or less calm, pleasurable activity? A bbq, two people fishing from a boat or something like that.

#119 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:56 AM

Space Filling post to bring about page 7

#120 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:57 AM

and one more