• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Google video

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Bruce, have you considered making "Exploring Life Extension" available through google video. Its free. about google video

Credit for this idea/find goes to mrfesta. He is always looking at news ways to spread the meme.

Edited by Matthias, 05 March 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#2 jonano

• 472 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:44 AM

there is also torrentz.com to put his torrent on

#3 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:00 AM

This looks worthwhile. As this is no small undertaking, if there is an ImmInst member with savvy and time on hand, please feel free to take this project to your own and submit the ImmInst Film to Google Video. Otherwise, I'll likely come back at a later date.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:03 AM

Incidentally, I'm more than half-way through sending the ImmInst Film as a DVD via regular mail to all ImmInst members who have submitted valid physical mailing addresses over the years (which is more than 1,300).... so, if you've not received a DVD in less than 10 days or so, please be sure to request such here:
http://www.imminst.o...ilm.php#FreeDVD

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

I used the DVD and encoded the format to be one that Google Video likes. I uploaded the video (turned out to be about 1.2 gb after encoding) to Google Videos and added the list of people who contributed to it. It will take a few days to "verify" and then it should be available in Google Video. I will keep all appraised of any snags or anything.

Bruce: Might you happen to have a transcript of the DVD? I ask because there is a place to put the text of a transcript so that (presumably) when people search for certain key words and whatnot, they will be able to find the video, and the part of the video that they want. No biggie if not, but if so it would be of help.

:)

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

Ah, very much appreciate this [lol] !

Sorry, no transcript has been made yet.

#7 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:25 AM

The transcript project is something very amenable to the membership at large to contribute to. I think it would be very useful for the purposes noted above - you want to catch those search queries. Since you've been mailing it out, I'd suggest putting up a call for volunteers to contribute transcript sections.

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:39 AM

Unless there is feedback to this topic, I may put out such a call.

#9 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:33 AM

The video is now live:

http://video.google....761732541483047
(a bit bandwidth-intensive, so make sure you don't have any other downloads or anything else going while you view it)

A number of search queries bring it up as a result ("cryonics", "Aubrey de Grey", etc.), but if there are any other terms, modifications to the description, etc. that anyone sees fit, since it is uploaded under my account, I could change it.

I think it might be good for sending to friends as a link if you know of someone that would like to see the video, but do not have a DVD for them, or do not want to go to the trouble of copying your DVD.

Also, I am going to upload some of the videos from the conference, if that is acceptable? (not a violation that I will get in trouble for or anything)

;)

#10 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:11 AM

Please do.. I been waiting for videos from the conferences for a while! lol

Also it's realy cool that the video is uploaded to google! Gives me an easy way to share this video with lots of people.

#11 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:17 AM

Please do.. I been waiting for videos from the conferences for a while! lol

Also it's realy cool that the video is uploaded to google! Gives me an easy way to share this video with lots of people.

Well, I didn't record any video of my own, so I was just going to upload what had already been posted in the conference forum.

;)

Glad the other upload helped you out!

#12 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

The video is now live:

http://video.google....761732541483047
(a bit bandwidth-intensive, so make sure you don't have any other downloads or anything else going while you view it)

A number of search queries bring it up as a result ("cryonics", "Aubrey de Grey", etc.), but if there are any other terms, modifications to the description, etc. that anyone sees fit, since it is uploaded under my account, I could change it.

I think it might be good for sending to friends as a link if you know of someone that would like to see the video, but do not have a DVD for them, or do not want to go to the trouble of copying your DVD.

Also, I am going to upload some of the videos from the conference, if that is acceptable? (not a violation that I will get in trouble for or anything)

;)

Great job!! I'm watching the streamed video via Google now and all seems to be working great on this end. I'm still trying to think of a good way to incorporate it into the myspace messages for you. They have it so you can stream the video directly on your website (add html to site), and this works for the myspace group and profile page as well. So if anyone has a blog/myspace profile/website you can add the stream to it! Keep up the great work.

It took 2-3 minutes to get started but once started, there have been no disconnects. Also, after the initial load, you can quickly jump around in the video. So if someone gets disconnected for some reason they can quickly jump back to where they left off. Very nice in my opinion.

Video streaming on myspace profile

Video streaming on myspace group page

Just wondering, Does google let you track the total number of video plays?

Edited by mrfesta, 27 January 2006 - 04:33 PM.

#13 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Great job!!  I'm watching the streamed video via Google now and all seems to be working great on this end.  I'm still trying to think of a good way to incorporate it into the myspace messages for you.  They have it so you can stream the video directly on your website (add html to site), and this works for the myspace group and profile page as well.  So if anyone has a blog/myspace profile/website you can add the stream to it!  Keep up the great work.

It took 2-3 minutes to get started but once started, there have been no disconnects.  Also, after the initial load, you can quickly jump around in the video.  So if someone gets disconnected for some reason they can quickly jump back to where they left off. Very nice in my opinion.

Nice use! I did not realize that you could stream it to other websites. That is neato! When I get some of the other conference videos (and other videos I have around with Aubrey and people) done, they may be better to stream in place of the movie since they are smaller/can be watched in less time than the full hour and 45 minutes of the movie.

;)

Just wondering, Does google let you track the total number of video plays?

yep, it has a statistics page that keeps track of number of plays and downloads (by the way, if you want to download, I would recommend the version that I mentioned as a .torrent in the other thread because it is a smaller and better version, I just used the one I did for Google videos because that is the type of file they require). It can be tracked by day, week, month, all time, etc.

#14 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

#15 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:46 PM

I posted the video (above) to show in real time what liveforever22 has put together. I like how it loads fast and it doesn't start playing automatically.

#16 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

I just checked, and there have been 20 unique page views and 1 download so far (total). I am not sure if this includes people that have viewed it streaming from other sites or not.

In contrast, there are 75 peers right now on the .torrent file, so that may actually turn out to be a more effective way of spreading the file to more people.

The use of Google videos can be used in different ways though, cause people do not have to download anything, they can just watch the video.

Don't you just love technology?

;)

#17 brandonreinhart

• 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

This looks very good. Thanks for putting this on google videos.

#18 John Doe

• 291 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:26 AM

The video is wonderful. I especially liked the last segment, about the person who wants to live indefinitely in order to discover what the meaning of life is. And Eliezer's comments were colorful!

I also think it might be helpful to create a one hour version of the documentary that highlights the best of the interviews.

#19 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:04 AM

mrfesta... really appreciate you uploading the macromedia version.

I've added it to the main film page:

http://www.imminst.org/film

• Lurker

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

Most impressive.. great work Bruce. You have natural talent for producing and editing. A condensed version would come in handy. Once again, well done. Much respect.

#21 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

I am in the process of uploading some more videos that may be of more use in addition to the film. Conference videos, and some news segments and interviews (mainly with Aubrey de Grey), some of which are only 5 or 6 minutes long, so they might be good to use for showing to people who have no idea about life extension to provide a brief overview. In any event, I will post all of the links to the videos once they are screened by the Google people and go live.

(By the way, just an fyi for everyone that I didn't realize until mrfesta mentioned it: If you ever see a video on Google Videos that you would like to use on your site, just go over to the side bar there, and click "Put on Site" and it will give you the html to use.)

Also, I have been glancing at the statistics for the videos I have uploaded keeping an eye on the film, and it seems to be getting more popular every day. Yesterday there were 177 page views and 7 downloads (probably some of which came because Bruce added it to the film page?). For all time it is up to 418 views and 11 downloads, which I think is tremendous. Anything to get the word out!

#22 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

Here are some other videos uploaded to Google videos. The television interviews may be helpful to give someone a short (6-7 minute) overview in terms that are easy to understand for those unfamiliar. Imminst and other conference videos below as well. Most of the clips feature Aubrey de Grey. Hopefully these are helpful to someone!

Television interviews by Aubrey de Grey:

CBC Interview of Aubrey de Grey 5:53 in length

"Richard and Judy" show Aubrey interview 6:33 in length

"Good Morning" Aubrey interview 7:23 in length

Conference presentations by Aubrey de Grey (minus the Imminst conference, which is below):

Poptech conference presentation 45:06 in length - pretty low quality video, but worth seeing just for the musical intro by Johnathan Colton (who is terrific in and of himself)

TedGlobal conference presentation 29:59 in length - I hadn't watched this till I uploaded it, but it is a very good overview especially for people who have never heard of Aubrey

ImmInst Conference Videos:

Intro to the conference 4:17 in length - Bruce doing his thing

Martine Rothblatt 18:33 in length - Legal Rights of Conscious Computers

Brad Mellon 17:09 in length - This would be a good one to show to any of your religious or Christian friends

Aubrey de Grey 29:49 in length - Anti-Aging

Edited by liveforever22, 01 February 2006 - 02:59 AM.

#23 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

Thats awesome liveforever22!!

As brandonreinhart mentioned in another thread, since you have all of these encoded check out http://www.youtube.com/ . Same as Google video, free upload and such. Includes the html generator to have a video streamed on your website/blog.

Even has a few things google video doesn't it seems:
- 5 star rating system
- anyone can post comments
- Gives details and url of sites linking to the video (so should add to maybe pages in imminst, betterhumans, transhumanism groups, longevity meme etc etc)

#24 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:05 AM

Whoa.

Inspiring movie.

will comment more later.

damn influenza.

#25 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

Great work... archived to our multi-media resource directory as well:

http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=111&t=9201

#26 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

Along with the other one on YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/?v=guo5LmkOu6o ) I put up the 60 Minutes interview as well:

Which, to my surprise, is already a "top viewed" video the morning after I put it up there. It could be helped by some more people voting 5 stars for it, (if you have the time).

I also put a higher quality version on Google Videos (YouTube limits size to 100MB, so I had to cut down the quality for them) but they are still verifying it at the moment. I'll let you guys know when it goes live.

#27 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:28 AM

Watched it. Great job to all involved.

The trajectory is set. Just as when the Wright Bros. first experienced flight, who could have known that in 70 years moon flights would take place with regularity...we are on sure course to immortalhood.

However, I do agree completely with the guy who said that a brain dump of our complete memories and knowledge, will not be a continuation of ourselves. In other words, we cannot back up ourselves up on a hard drive in case our physical body is destroyed. The memory dump will not feel to us like a continuation -- it will be someone or something else that just happens to have our memories. The person whom originated the memories will be dead, and they will not experience immortalhood.

#28 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

I think this is a great effort, and one we can build on.

However, I do agree completely with the guy who said that a brain dump of our complete memories and knowledge, will not be a continuation of ourselves. In other words, we cannot back up ourselves up on a hard drive in case our physical body is destroyed. The memory dump will not feel to us like a continuation -- it will be someone or something else that just happens to have our memories. The person whom originated the memories will be dead, and they will not experience immortalhood.

Although this is veering off topic I just couldn't help adding my two cents worth. ;)

There are many who take issue with the theoretical possibility of duplication, but I have yet to hear an argument which is truly convincing (from my perspective, at least). Implicit in the statement made above is the belief that there is some aspect of identity which is above and beyond 'brain states'. I do not see evidence for this belief. Why would a duplicate with all of my memories, dispositions, and personality quirks not be me?

I go to sleep and lose consciousness. When I wake up in the morning, am I not still a close approximation to the Don of the night before?

Unless one is to contend that there are various active neurobiological processes taking place during my down time which preserve/maintain my identity. Taken further, one could argue that even during periods of deep anestheticly induced unconsciousness there is some level of brain activity which keeps identity intact. Whether such brain activity is an empirical reality has been debated at length by Jaydfox and BriaW, but it is also irrelevent IMO. The problem is an erroneous starting point, the belief that there must be an active process constantly occuring to preserve identity (ie, whether there must be a 'continuity of consciousness').

Without falling into the ever-so-futile debate over subjective experience, there is another approach for defending the 'uniqueness' of a volitional agent. From what I understand of Nate Barna's conception of identity theory, part of an agent's unique identity could be contained in its precise location in space/time. I tend to view this as a more objectified (and cogent) version of the continuity argument. And, if there were a such thing as an objective standard for space/time, then in all likelihood, it would be of great significance in questions of *identity*. The problem however is that, as per Eistein's relativity theory, space/time is not absolute - it is relative. Consequently there is no objective standard that could lend itself to identity theory. (Note: If two individuals were to observe one another and experience discrepancies in space/time this would only be an effect of the discrepancies of their two respective localities in space/time).

Thus, the question for me is really that of analogous function. Could the original system, along with the contents of its database, be duplicated to a level of perfection where a hetero-phenomenological evaluation of a subject satisfies some predetermined standard for identity preservation? I think this is a possibility, but once one goes down this road, the debate becomes less one of philosophy, and more one standards.

Edited by DonSpanton, 21 February 2006 - 10:57 PM.

#29 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:07 PM

There are many who take issue with the theoretical possibility of duplication.

Don, your statement contains the the same answer I stated above.

In other words, I firmly believe that a duplicate of me, is not me. It's a duplicate, with exactly the same memories, etc. However, if my duplicate dies, no skin off my teeth, as I keep living. However, my point is that if I die and the duplicate lives, it is not me that benefits. I am gone.

That was my point above. A brain dump of my mind into another organic vessel, or digital machine -- exactly duplicating all of my memory and logic states, etc. -- doesn't mean that if I die, I continue. It means my duplicate continues. But as far as I'm concerned, life is over.

#30 brandonreinhart

• 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

Max More's dissertation is all about the "thread vs. pattern" view of conscious experience and the possible effects duplication and uploading might have on continuity and self:

http://www.maxmore.com/disscont.htm

A good read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users