17 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

News source

Pot or tot could be the medicine for longer life

Jill Stark
October 24, 2006

BEER-LOVING blokes of the world, rejoice — three pots a day could put you at far less risk of a heart attack than staying teetotal.

A new study, confirming what many experts have been telling us for years, suggests that not only is a daily tipple good for the heart but abstinence could be harmful to your health.

The American survey charting the health of nearly 9000 men over 16 years revealed that risk of heart attacks was lowest among healthy men who drank moderately — up to three drinks a day. A standard drink is measured as a pot of full-strength beer, a stubby of medium-strength beer or a spirit nip.

Published today in Archives of Internal Medicine, the study showed that of the 106 men who had heart attacks, eight consumed 1.5 to three standard drinks a day compared with 28 who drank no alcohol.

All men in the study — conducted by doctors at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre in Boston — were between the age of 40 and 75, took regular exercise, did not smoke and had a balanced, nutritious diet.

The results show that those who drank no or very limited amounts of alcohol were more likely to suffer heart problems — 34 men who drank half a standard drink or less suffered heart attacks and 27 who drank between half and 1½ were afflicted. Only nine men who drank more than three drinks had heart attacks. Researchers believe the results can be explained by increased levels of "good" cholesterol in the blood.

VicHealth chief executive Rob Moodie said the results should be viewed with caution. "Socially and from a health point of view moderate drinking in this case looks to be beneficial but the problem is over-consumption," he said.

"Managing it socially and in moderation is great, but drawing the line between the two is the big issue and as a society we're not doing that at all well because year on year we're seeing rises in binge drinking."

Excuse me, why is pot in the title of this?

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

BEER-LOVING blokes of the world, rejoice — three pots a day could put you at far less risk of a heart attack than staying teetotal.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

That reeks of seeking an excuse to use the word pot. Its a pint, or a glass, or a bottle, I have never in my lifetime in a country filled with drinkers heard of it being served by the pot.

#4 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

Ah, I see now. I thought this was intended to draw a correlation with the recent reports that marijuana is anti alzheimers and reduces inflammation in the brain:

Rat study shows how marijuana may ease Alzheimer's
http://www.imminst.o...=169&t=12878&s=

Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's - U.S. study
http://www.imminst.o...=169&t=12691&s=

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

It's more likely the antioxidants in the beer and not the alcohol. They should do a study on alcohol free beer vs regular.

#6 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:31 AM

It's more likely the antioxidants in the beer and not the alcohol. They should do a study on alcohol free beer vs regular.

I read beer has less antioxidants but they get absorbed better compared to wine. I can't remember whether someone on this site posted it or not.

#7 brutale

• 62 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

My understanding is that alcoholic beverages provide cardiovascular protection through at least 2 channels: the effects of ethanol itself, and various antioxidants and phytochemicals (if any) in the beverage. Red wine is particularly protective because of the high concentration of antioxidants, but all alcoholic beverages in moderation provide some benefit.

This, in any case, is the view of a cardiologist friend.

I eliminated alcohol from my diet and my HDL dropped by almost 20%. I'm thinking of adding 1 glass of red wine per day. I've heard that the best choice for health purposes is pinot noir grown in cold, misty climates ... where resveratrol levels are highest. I have no idea if this claim is accurate though.

#8 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

Link to news source

Court broadens Rx marijuana defense

Los Angeles Times

November 28, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO -- People charged with transporting marijuana might avoid conviction if they can show the drug was for their personal, medical use, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday.

In a 6-1 decision, the court said the medical marijuana law protects patients who transport even relatively large quantities of the drug if they can show that the amount was consistent with their medical needs and recommended by a licensed physician.

The court reached its decision in the case of Shaun Eric Wright, who was arrested in 2001 while carrying more than a pound of marijuana in his truck.

Police charged Wright with possessing marijuana for sale and with transporting it.

A physician testified that he had recommended Wright use marijuana to alleviate pain, abdominal problems and emotional stress.

The doctor said that Wright preferred eating marijuana, which demands a larger amount to achieve the same effect as smoking it. The doctor said Wright needed a pound of marijuana every two to three months.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

#9 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:35 PM

on that same note, could someone...anyone, please tell me how the hell a conniving spineless politician/judge can evaluate the medical or recreational uses of a drug?

they have ZERO business telling physicians what to dispense or how to dispense it; I think the vast majority of docs follow the "Primum non nocere" dictum or the longer hippocratic oath.

politicans and other power hungy SOB's take no such oath, except the procure as much for myself and lie to the uninformed masses oath.

#10 AaronCW

• Guest, F@H
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:34 AM

on that same note, could someone...anyone, please tell me how the hell a conniving spineless politician/judge can evaluate the medical or recreational uses of a drug?

they have ZERO business telling physicians what to dispense or how to dispense it; I think the vast majority of docs follow the  "Primum non nocere" dictum or the longer hippocratic oath.

politicans and other power hungy SOB's take no such oath, except the procure as much for myself and lie to the uninformed masses oath.

I agree, the government has no business controlling the sale of any substance, whether it is medically useful or not. The Controlled Substances Act is a overtly unconstitutional, and the only justifiable purpose for an agency such as the FDA would be to test the purity of a drug, and to enforce the accurate labeling of a products ingredients.

#11 cellfighter

• 97 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

The FDA should regulate the amount, safety, purity, and approved use of any drug.

#12 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

I agree totally with karomesis, cellfighter and rasputin. I think most intelligent people would.

#13 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

I guess another related story here:

News source: The Dominican Republic News Source in English

Leading killer in Finland? Alcohol

Helsinki.– Alcohol is now the leading killer of Finnish adults, with consumption reaching an all-time high last year in the Nordic nation, officials said Friday.

More than 2,000 people between the ages of 15 and 64 were killed by alcohol poisoning or illnesses caused by alcohol consumption last year, the government's leading welfare and health agency said. Nearly 1,000 people died in accidents or violent incidents caused by alcohol.

"This is truly a worrying trend," said Kristiina Kuussaari of the National Research and Development Center for Welfare and Health. "The serious negative effects will continue to grow for years to come."

Alcohol was responsible for 17 percent of all deaths among 15- to 64-year-old men, surpassing heart disease for the first time, the agency said. Alcohol also caused more than 10.5 percent of all deaths in adult women, alongside breast cancer, for the first time.

Since 2003, the cost of treating alcohol-related illnesses has grown by 14 percent, peaking at $1.1 billion last year in this nation of 5.2 million known for heavy drinking.

The government has traditionally kept a tight control on alcohol consumption with high prices in its Alko monopoly retail outlets, and supermarkets do not sell beer with higher alcohol content.

However, in March 2004 it slashed alcohol taxes by more than 40 percent to discourage growing "booze cruises" to Russia and neighboring Estonia, where alcohol is much cheaper.

The move caused an outcry from health officials who warned of negative health effects, and police who reported a rise in public drunkenness and anti-social behavior.

Officials reported a 10 percent growth in binge drinking among 17-year-olds in the first six months after the tax cut, and general consumption began to grow, reaching new records.

#14 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:35 AM

I thought this was funny too:

Court broadens Rx marijuana defense

Los Angeles Times

November 28, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO -- People charged with transporting marijuana might avoid conviction if they can show the drug was for their personal, medical use, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday.

In a 6-1 decision, the court said the medical marijuana law protects patients who transport even relatively large quantities of the drug if they can show that the amount was consistent with their medical needs and recommended by a licensed physician.

The doctor said Wright needed a pound of marijuana every two to three months.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Posted Image

#15 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

What about that being due to its dopamine boosting activity?
Plus alcohol isn't as lethal as some hard drugs. But, btw, still a proven type I carcinogen.

Perhaps repeated life span studies of animals already on selegiline
with and without alcohol may be interesting. Would be pretty interesting
whether the life span effect of alcohol is basically zero in a group
already treated with low-dose selegiline.

(PS: Yes, some studies document that deprenyl has other effects like
boosting SOD levels, e.g. PMID: 8687037. But IMO I don't see that we know
yet whether that is primary due to the drug itself, or secondary, due to
the relatively-side-effect-free dopamine boosting action, which in turn
lets the brain boost internal defenses via other self-regulatory pathways).

#16 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Pot aka weed keeps looking better and better:

Sciencedaily: News Source

Posted Image

Source: Stanford University Medical Center
Date: February 8, 2007

Enhancing Activity Of Marijuana-like Chemicals In Brain Helps Treat Parkinson's Symptoms In Mice

Science Daily — Marijuana-like chemicals in the brain may point to a treatment for the debilitating condition of Parkinson's disease. In a study to be published in the Feb. 8 issue of Nature, researchers from the Stanford University School of Medicine report that endocannabinoids, naturally occurring chemicals found in the brain that are similar to the active compounds in marijuana and hashish, helped trigger a dramatic improvement in mice with a condition similar to Parkinson's.

"This study points to a potentially new kind of therapy for Parkinson's disease," said senior author Robert Malenka, MD, PhD, the Nancy Friend Pritzker Professor in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. "Of course, it is a long, long way to go before this will be tested in humans, but nonetheless, we have identified a new way of potentially manipulating the circuits that are malfunctioning in this disease."

Malenka and postdoctoral scholar Anatol Kreitzer, PhD, the study's lead author, combined a drug already used to treat Parkinson's disease with an experimental compound that can boost the level of endocannabinoids in the brain. When they used the combination in mice with a condition like Parkinson's, the mice went from being frozen in place to moving around freely in 15 minutes. "They were basically normal," Kreitzer said.

But Kreitzer and Malenka cautioned that their findings don't mean smoking marijuana could be therapeutic for Parkinson's disease.

"It turns out the receptors for cannabinoids are all over the brain, but they are not always activated by the naturally occurring endocannabinoids," said Malenka. The treatment used on the mice involves enhancing the activity of the chemicals where they occur naturally in the brain. "That is a really important difference, and it is why we think our manipulation of the chemicals is really different from smoking marijuana."

The researchers began their study by focusing on a region of the brain known as the striatum. They were interested in that region because it has been implicated in a range of brain disorders, including Parkinson's, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and addiction.

The activity of neurons in the striatum relies on the chemical dopamine. A shortage of dopamine in the striatum can lead to Parkinson's disease, in which a person loses the ability to execute smooth motions, progressing to muscle rigidity, tremors and sometimes complete loss of movement. The condition affects 1.5 million Americans, according to the National Parkinson Foundation.

"It turns out that the striatum is much more complicated than imagined," said Malenka. The striatum consists of several different cell types that are virtually indistinguishable under the microscope. To uncover the individual contributions of the cell types, Malenka and Kreitzer used genetically modified mice in which the various cell types were labeled with a fluorescent protein that glows vivid green under a microscope. Having an unequivocal way to identify the cells allowed them to tease apart the functions of the different cell types.

Malenka's lab has long studied how the communication between different neurons is modified by experience and disease. In their examination of two types of mouse striatum cells, Kreitzer and Malenka found that a particular form of adaptation occurs in one cell type but not in the other.

Malenka said this discovery was exciting because no one had determined whether there were functional differences between the various cell types. Their study indicated that the two types of cells formed complementary circuits in the brain.

One of the circuits is thought to be involved in activating motion, while the other is thought to be involved in restraining unwanted movement. "These two circuits are critically involved in a push-pull to select the appropriate movement to perform and to inhibit the other," said Kreitzer.

Dopamine appears to modulate these two circuits in opposite ways. When dopamine is depleted, it is thought that the pathway responsible for inhibiting movement becomes overly activated - leading to the difficulty of initiating motion, the hallmark of Parkinson's disease.

Current treatment for Parkinson's includes drugs that stimulate or mimic dopamine. It turns out that the neurons Kreitzer identified as inhibiting motion had a type of dopamine receptor on them that the other cells didn't. The researchers tested a drug called quinpirole, which mimics dopamine, in mice with a condition similar to human Parkinson's disease, resulting in a small improvement in the mice.

"That was sort of expected," said Malenka. "The cool new finding came when we thought to use drugs that boost the activity of endocannabinoids." Based on prior knowledge of endocannabinoids and dopamine, they speculated that the two chemicals were working in concert to keep the inhibitory pathway in check.

When they added a drug that slows the enzymatic breakdown of endocannabinoids in the brain - URB597, being developed by Kadmus Pharmaceuticals in Irvine, Calif. - the results were striking.

"The dopamine drug alone did a little bit but it wasn't great, and the drug that targeted the enzyme that degrades endocannabinoids basically did nothing alone," Kreitzer said. "But when we gave the two together, the animals really improved dramatically."

This work was supported by a Ruth L. Kirchenstein Fellowship, the National Institutes of Health and the National Parkinson Foundation. Neither researcher has financial ties to Kadmus Pharmaceuticals.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Stanford University Medical Center.

#17 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:31 PM

What about that being due to its dopamine boosting activity?
Plus alcohol isn't as lethal as some hard drugs. But, btw, still a proven type I carcinogen.

I'm not sure (and I don't think anyone else is), but this recent research suggests there are indeed therapeutic uses for marijuana.

The link to this Healthnews-stat article has more information and some images of brain scans.

Also, keep in mind the studies that "prove" that marijuana is a carcinogen were conducted using low grade industrial hemp that has an incredibly low THC content; and also the leaves of the plant were incinerated -- which seem to have notoriously higher carcinogen content than the type of weed most folks smoke (or eat) these days.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:12 AM

CNN.com: News Source

Posted Image

Posted Image
Many critics of smoked marijuana agree that its active ingredient has promise as a painkiller but say the smoke itself is harmful.

Pot-smoking eases foot pain, HIV patients report

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Smoking marijuana eased HIV-related pain in some patients in a small study that nevertheless represented one of the few rigorous attempts to find out whether the drug has medicinal benefits.

The Bush administration's Office of National Drug Control Policy quickly sought to shoot holes in the experiment.

The study, conducted at San Francisco General Hospital from 2003 to 2005 and published Monday in the journal Neurology, involved 50 patients suffering from HIV-related foot pain known as peripheral neuropathy. There are no drugs specifically approved to treat that kind of pain.

Three times daily for nearly a week, the patients smoked marijuana cigarettes machine-rolled at the National Institute of Drug Abuse, the only legal source for the drug recognized by the federal government.

Half the patients received marijuana, while the other 25 received placebo cigarettes that lacked the drug's active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol. Scientists said the study was the first one published that used a comparison group, which is generally considered the gold standard for scientific research.

Thirteen patients who received marijuana told doctors their pain eased by at least a third after smoking pot, while only six of those smoking placebos said likewise. The marijuana smokers reported an average pain reduction of 34 percent, double the drop reported by the placebo smokers as measured with a widely accepted pain scale.

"These results provide evidence that there is measurable medical benefit to smoking cannabis for these patients," said Dr. Donald Abrams, the University of California, San Francisco professor who led the study.

Many critics of smoked marijuana agree THC has promise as a painkiller, but they argue the smoke itself is harmful.

"People who smoke marijuana are subject to bacterial infections in the lungs," said David Murray, chief scientist at the Office of National Drug Control Policy. "Is this really what a physician who is treating someone with a compromised immune system wants to prescribe?"

Murray also questioned the statistical relevance of study with just 50 participants in the test.

Dr. Mark Ware, a researcher at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, conducting similar tests, defended Abrams' study as sound and statistically reliable.

The study is one of the few human tests in a research field nearly devoid of federal funding.

"This is a valid medicine and I want safe access to my medication," said Diana Dodson, a 50-year-old grandmother of five who participated in the test in 2004.

California and 10 other states have passed laws legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, but the federal government considers it a dangerous drug, like cocaine or heroin. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2005 that state laws do not protect users from the federal ban.

To conduct the test, Abrams needed authorization from eight academic and government agencies, including the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The study cost about $1 million and was paid for by the University of California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research, which has sponsored several smoked marijuana tests.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2...al.marijuana.ap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users