45 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

Reuters: News Source

Posted Image

Study shows near-tripling of global ADHD drug use

Tue Mar 6, 2007 7:23PM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The use of drugs to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, has more than tripled worldwide since 1993, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday.

And spending on such drugs rose nine-fold between 1993 and 2003, the team at the University of California, Berkeley reported.

"ADHD could become the leading childhood disorder treated with medications across the globe," Richard Scheffler, an expert in health economics and public policy who led the study, said in a statement.

"We can expect that the already burgeoning global costs for medication treatment for ADHD will rise even more sharply over the next decade."

Roughly one in 25 U.S. children and adolescents is taking medication for ADHD, the researchers found.

They used an international pharmaceutical database to examine data from nearly 70 countries. In 1993, 31 countries used ADHD drugs, but by 2003 that number had risen to 55, they found.

France, Sweden, Korea and Japan all showed increases in ADHD drug use among 5- to 19-year-olds.

"The usage of ADHD medications increased 274 percent during the study period," Scheffler's team wrote in the journal Health Affairs.

The United States led the pack, accounting for 83 percent of the prescriptions and $2.4 billion in 2003. Canada and Australia also had much heavier use than the researchers predicted.

ADHD is marked by poor concentration, distractibility, hyperactivity, impulsiveness and other symptoms beyond what might be expected for the patient's age.

Amphetamine drugs can control the symptoms, but their use is sometimes controversial.

Methylphenidate, sold under the brand name Ritalin by Novartis, was once the standard. But costly and long-acting medications like Johnson & Johnson's Concerta, Strattera, made by Eli Lilly and Co., and Adderral XR, made by British drugmaker Shire Plc, are now driving up costs, the researchers said.

"Costs are likely to rise globally as long-acting medications, which offer easier use and result in better compliance, become more prevalent outside the U.S.," said Dr. Peter Levine, a pediatrician with Kaiser Permanente in Walnut Creek, California.

Psychologist Stephen Hinshaw of UC Berkeley said "cross-cultural research has shown that ADHD exists in all cultures, with increased access to public education a factor in its detection."

The researchers recommended that countries keep tabs on the use of ADHD drugs and make sure their benefits are worthwhile.

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
Reuters journalists are subject to the Reuters Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

i take ritalin, i think its important to take meds if you've got adhd
but there seem to be a small ammount of ppl that get euphoria the first week to take these meds, i strongly have my doubts if they have got adhd
it should be impossible for us to experience euphoria for stimulants or even cocaine

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

ADHD medication is a joke. There are much better, natural, and healthier means to combating this so-called disorder. Whoever takes ritalin and adderall for their ADHD is shortening their life-span. This is completely contradictory to the goals of a person who wants to live the best they can and the longest they can. More natural means can combat ADHD "better" and more "efficiently". What is all the hype with treating the symptoms of an illness in this world we live in. We should be getting to the root of the illness, or better yet, work on preventing these illnesses before they ever begin. ADHD drugs are absolutely horrible. They are only a temporary fix for a long term problem. It is the same as treating anxiety with benzodiazepines. It is only a temporary fix with health hazards that far outway the benefits achieved.

#4 fast turtle

• 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

Oh dopamine, what can't you improve? I think physicians should start considering off-label uses for ADHD/ADD medications such as colds, rainy day dysphoric syndrome (RDDS), laziness, cigarette addiction, marriage problems, obesity, and arts or communications major futureless delusionary disorder (ACMFDD).

#5 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

ADHD medication is a joke.  There are much better, natural, and healthier means to combating this so-called disorder.  Whoever takes ritalin and adderall for their ADHD is shortening their life-span.  This is completely contradictory to the goals of a person who wants to live the best they can and the longest they can.  More natural means can combat ADHD "better" and more "efficiently".  What is all the hype with treating the symptoms of an illness in this world we live in.  We should be getting to the root of the illness, or better yet, work on preventing these illnesses before they ever begin.  ADHD drugs are absolutely horrible.  They are only a temporary fix for a long term problem.  It is the same as treating anxiety with benzodiazepines.  It is only a temporary fix with health hazards that far outway the benefits achieved.

pls show me any natural substances to work as good as ritalin? as far as i know ritalin combots the cause of adhd directly, just like i would want it

We should be getting to the root of the illness, or better yet, work on preventing these illnesses before they ever begin.

thats why i take meds, there are no natural substances to combat adhd like that

They are only a temporary fix for a long term problem.

i dont think so, ppl have been taking this meds for years

It is the same as treating anxiety with benzodiazepines.  It is only a temporary fix with health hazards that far outway the benefits achieved.

i'm not a fan of benzo's either, but other solutions have there problems too, for example you can die from a too high blood pressure when eating to much tyramine when taking a mao inhibitor

#6 fast turtle

• 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

thats why i take meds, there are no natural substances to combat adhd like that

L-theanine and exercise.

The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent.
Nathan PJ, Lu K, Gray M, Oliver C.

Behavioural Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Physiology, Monash Center for Brain and Behaviour, Monash University, Australia. Nathan@med.monash.edu.au

L-theanine (N-ethyl-L-glutamine) or theanine is a major amino acid uniquely found in green tea. L-theanine has been historically reported as a relaxing agent, prompting scientific research on its pharmacology. Animal neurochemistry studies suggest that L-theanine increases brain serotonin, dopamine, GABA levels and has micromolar affinities for AMPA, Kainate and NMDA receptors. In addition has been shown to exert neuroprotective effects in animal models possibly through its antagonistic effects on group 1 metabotrophic glutamate receptors. Behavioural studies in animals suggest improvement in learning and memory. Overall, L-theanine displays a neuropharmacology suggestive of a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent and warrants further investigation in animals and humans.

PMID: 17182482 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of theanine, r-glutamylethylamide, on brain monoamines and striatal dopamine release in conscious rats.
Yokogoshi H, Kobayashi M, Mochizuki M, Terashima T.

School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, The University of Shizuoka, Yada, Shizuoka, Japan. yokogosi@fns1.u-shizuoka-ken.ac.jp

Theanine, r-glutamylethylamide, is one of the major components of amino acids in Japanese green tea. Effect of theanine on brain amino acids and monoamines, and the striatal release of dopamine (DA) was investigated. Determination of amino acids in the brain after the intragastric administration of theanine showed that theanine was incorporated into brain through blood-brain barrier via leucine-preferring transport system. The concentrations of norepinephrine, 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (DOPAC) and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid (5HIAA) in the brain regions were unaffected by the theanine administration except in striatum. Theanine administration caused significant increases in serotonin and/or DA concentrations in the brain, especially in striatum, hypothalamus and hippocampus. Direct administration of theanine into brain striatum by microinjection caused a significant increase of DA release in a dose-dependent manner. Microdialysis of brain with calcium-free Ringer buffer attenuated the theanine-induced DA release. Pretreatment with the Ringer buffer containing an antagonist of non-NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) glutamate receptor, MK-801, for 1 hr did not change the significant increase of DA release induced by theanine. However, in the case of pretreatment with AP-5, (+/-)-2-amino-5-phosphonopentanoic acid; antagonist of NMDA glutamate receptor, the theanine-induced DA release from striatum was significantly inhibited. These results suggest that theanine might affect the metabolism and/or the release of some neurotransmitters in the brain, such as DA.

PMID: 9566605 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Endurance training effects on striatal D2 dopamine receptor binding and striatal dopamine metabolite levels.
MacRae PG, Spirduso WW, Cartee GD, Farrar RP, Wilcox RE.

Department of Health and Physical Education, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin 78712.

We have previously shown that endurance training is associated with higher binding of [3H]spiperone to striatal D2 dopamine (DA) receptors of presenescent (21 months old) rats. In the present study we investigated the effects of 6 months of endurance training of young adults on the relationship between steady-state levels of DA and its metabolites in striatum and the affinity and density of striatal D2 DA receptors. The extent of training was confirmed by evaluating the maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max) in the subjects. D2 DA binding was significantly increased at each of 3 [3H]spiperone concentrations in the young runners. A 'synaptic coupling ratio' calculated as the specific DA binding/DOPAC concentration was significantly increased in runners for the 0.1 and 0.4 nM radioligand concentrations. Across experimental groups levels of DA were highly and positively correlated with specific DA binding at the 0.1, 0.2 and 0.4 nM [3H]spiperone concentrations. Together, these results suggest that exercise can alter the number of DA binding sites and the metabolism of DA in young adult animals.

PMID: 2959886 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#7 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

not effective at all if i beleive most anecdotal reports, might be healthier then ritalin

also, i get the impression you dont beleive in adhd, do you know ritaline makes me TIRED? can sleep fine on it, impossible for others ;)

#8 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Ritalin is okay, Adderall is better.

Anyone who says you can get the same effect from over the counter supplementation as you can from amphetamine based treatment options doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

Whoever takes ritalin and adderall for their ADHD is shortening their life-span.

Please provide data to support this statement. I've never seen any studies that would lead to this conclusion, so as of right now I believe you're just talking out of your ass. ;))

#9 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

not effective at all if i beleive most anecdotal reports, might be healthier then ritalin

also, i get the impression you dont beleive in adhd, do you know ritaline makes me TIRED? can sleep fine on it, impossible for others ;)

You don't even write or spell like you are even the slightest educated. Anything you write and say is irrelevant in my eyes. You would know how to spell the word "believe" if you had any intelligence. Go "edumincate" yourself before you come here talking your pro ADHD med garbage. They are not healthy for your brain and apparently haven't helped you in your studies.

P.S. What in the world are you trying to say when ritalin makes you tired or you can sleep on it. Do you want a cookie? I know that in hyperactive individuals that it may calm you down, but what you are saying is irrelevant. I am not doubting that the drug works. I am just trying to point out that their are more healthier ways to combat this that will do more for you than just alleviating your ADHD symptoms. Just because it calms you down doesn't mean a thing to me.

You also stated, "as far as i know ritalin combots the cause of adhd directly". Then why in hell aren't you cured yet? Why do you have to keep taking the damn meds to get on with yourself. Why do people have to take the shit for years and years. You are kidding yourself.

To Technosophy,

Not everything in life needs "scientific studies" to back it up. Some things buddy only need a little common sense to figure them out. Something you may or may not have. Any substance that continuously puts undue pressure and stresses the heart, in my eyes, will shorten your life. This goes for all stimulates IMHO. It doesn't take a genius to see this. Anyone who doesn't see this, is usually one who uses the medication. Since they use it, they will justify their use, and shut out all negative views upon it. They are also neurotoxic. These meds are killing kids!!! They cause all kinds of detrimental crap.

They are also wayyyy overly prescribed. The docs make good money giving these substances out like candy without any regard for their patients' health. It is all about the money. It is a short-term fix. People like it, because it works. They know deep inside that there are most definitely healthier alternatives but are too dam lazy to attempt to try them.

Edited by luv2increase, 07 March 2007 - 11:52 PM.

#10 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:03 AM

Anyone who says you can get the same effect from over the counter supplementation as you can from amphetamine based treatment options doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

This I'm not so sure about. There are certainly some interesting combinations that a savvy person can come up to mimic the effects of many drugs with legal counterparts. Not recommended or terribly safe, though.

#11 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:10 AM

I am sure there are people taking these meds that would do fine without them. The question is, how does one know if they have ADHD. What is the baseline? If a kid spends the first 10 years of his life in front of the TV, it would be no surprise that they would be lacking in some cognitive abilities which were never developed. I think a lot of these meds are used as a quick fix for horrible parenting. That said, I used to know people in high school who really did have ADHD. It was apparent in their actions, how they spoke, etc. I believe that it does exist, however, taking ADHD medications also imposes an unknown risk. Many of the drugs such as Adderall are hard-core stimulants, schedule II controlled substances. To use something like that daily, would make me a bit worrisome regarding the long-term effects. However, I also believe that there will be general cognitive enhancers available and at some point and everyone will be using them. Perhaps CX-717 will be the first.

#12 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:30 AM

Ritalin is okay, Adderall is better.

Okay -- I think it's probably better (and safer) to say that it's possible one drug won't work for you at all, and another might work better. Often it seems many times it's a case of trial and error. Work with your doctor to figure out what works best for You.

For those interested, here is a link to the Strattera website. Atomoxetine is the generic drug name for Strattera.

Strattera, the first non-stimulant medication that's FDA-approved to treat ADHD in children, adolescents, and adults - available by prescription only.

Here is a link to the Adderall XR website. Adderall is a mix of four amphetamine salts.

Here is a link to the Concerta website. The generic drug name for Concerta is methylphenidate (also know as Ritalin).

The peer reviews pasted below seem to find all options to be effective to treat attention deficit disorders.

In addition to Strattera, Adderall, and Concerta, a much more cost effective (and very commonly prescribed) solution to these patented drugs is generic dextroamphetamine (often referred to as D-amphetamine or simply d-amp).

Ann Pharmacother. 2006 Jun;40(6):1134-42. Epub 2006 May 30. 
Atomoxetine versus stimulants for treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Gibson AP, Bettinger TL, Patel NC, Crismon ML.
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To identify, review, and analyze studies comparing atomoxetine with psychostimulants with the intent of determining the role of atomoxetine in the pharmacologic management of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). DATA SOURCES: Primary, review, and meta-analysis articles were identified by a MEDLINE search (1966-December 2005). MeSH headings used in the search include: attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, ADHD, atomoxetine, stimulants, psychostimulants, methylphenidate, and amphetamine salts. Relevant data presented at professional meetings that we attended were also identified. STUDY SELECTION AND EXTRACTION: All clinical studies comparing atomoxetine with psychostimulants, regardless of study design, were evaluated. Relevant efficacy and safety data from these studies were included in the discussion. DATA SYNTHESIS: At time of writing, 5 head-to-head trials had compared psychostimulants and atomoxetine in the treatment of ADHD. No significant difference between atomoxetine and methylphenidate immediate-release were found on the ADHD Rating Scale total score. Osmotic oral release system (OROS) methylphenidate showed significantly greater improvement at weeks 1 and 2, and significantly more patients treated with OROS methylphenidate were classified as responders. Patients on both atomoxetine and mixed amphetamine salts extended-release (MAS XR) showed significant improvements at endpoint over baseline; however, Swanson, Kotkin, Agler, M-Flynn, and Pelham (SKAMP) scores were significantly better with MAS XR. Tolerability was similar between atomoxetine and stimulant medications. CONCLUSIONS: Based on available evidence, psychostimulants are regarded as first-line pharmacologic treatment for children and adolescents with ADHD, as the efficacy and safety of these agents have been well established based on clinical trials and extensive naturalistic use. Adverse effects in some patients and abuse potential have led to the search for new treatments. Atomoxetine represents an alternative treatment for ADHD and is unlikely to be associated with abuse; however, long-term safety data are needed to further establish its place in therapy.

PMID: 16735655 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Indian J Med Sci. 2005 Dec;59(12):546-55. 
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder--a review for family physicians.Karande S.
Learning Disability Clinic, Division of Pediatric Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai, India. karandesunil@yahoo.com

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a chronic behavioral disorder characterized by persistent hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention that impairs educational achievement and/or social functioning. Its diagnosis is made by ascertaining whether the child's specific behaviors meet the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders-IV-revised criteria. Its etiology is still unclear but recent studies suggest that genetics plays a major role in conferring susceptibility. Comorbidity with psychiatric disorders such as anxiety disorder, depression, oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder; and with specific learning disability is not uncommon. Although medication works well in most cases of ADHD, optimal treatment requires integrated medical and behavioral treatment. Methylphenidate (MPH) and atomoxetine are the two drugs being currently prescribed and their efficacy in decreasing the symptoms of ADHD is well documented. Pyschoeducational interventions in school can help increase the successful functioning of affected children and improve their academic performance. Almost half of affected children continue to show significant symptoms of the disorder into adolescence and young adulthood. The family physician can play an important role in detecting this condition early, coordinating its assessment and treatment, counseling the parents and classroom teacher, and monitoring the child's academic and psychosocial progress on a long-term basis.

PMID: 16385176 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2004 Nov 15;61(22):2391-9. 
Atomoxetine: the first nonstimulant for the management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Corman SL, Fedutes BA, Culley CM.
Drug Information Center, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA.

PURPOSE: The pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, clinical efficacy, safety, drug interactions, dosage and administration, and place in therapy of atomoxetine in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are reviewed. SUMMARY: Atomoxetine is a methylphenoxy-benzenepropanamine derivative with antidepressant activity and is thought to enhance noradrenergic function via selective inhibition of the presynaptic norepinephrine transporter. Atomoxetine is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, reaching peak levels in 1.83 hours in pediatric patients and 1-1.5 hours in adults. The clinical efficacy of atomoxetine in the treatment of ADHD has been evaluated in six published clinical trials of children and adolescents and two studies enrolling only adults. Clinical trial data indicate that atomoxetine is safe and well tolerated for the treatment of ADHD; however, safety data about long-term use (greater than one year) are unavailable. Adverse events reported in clinical trials were mainly mild to moderate and transient in nature. Recommended dosing of atomoxetine is weight based, and dosages should be adjusted to a target dosage of 1.2 mg/kg/day in children and adolescents weighing 70 kg or less and to 80 mg/day in children and adolescents weighing over 70 kg and adults. While current guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend stimulants and behavior modification as first-line therapy for the management of ADHD, atomoxetine offers those patients who do not respond to or cannot tolerate one or more stimulants an alternative treatment option. CONCLUSION: Atomoxetine, the first non-stimulant approved for the management of ADHD in children, adolescents, and adults, provides patients who have not responded to or cannot tolerate one or more stimulants an alternative treatment option.

PMID: 15581262 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2002 Jun;14(2):105-11.

Attention deficit disorder in adults.

Pary R, Lewis S, Matuschka PR, Rudzinskiy P, Safi M, Lippmann S.

Department of Veterans Affairs, Mental Health, and Behavioral Science Service, Louisville, Kentucky 40206, USA.

ADHD/ADD, once thought to occur only in children, is now recognized as continuing into adulthood in many people. In order to be labeled as such, signs and symptoms must start before age 7 and are primarily characterized by inattention, distractibility, and impulsiveness. Although the exact mechanism is unknown, a number of associated neurochemical and structural abnormalities have been observed. This disorder can negatively affect the educational, social, and occupational lives of those who suffer from its symptoms. It interferes with the ability to establish and maintain close relationships. Pharmacotherapy remains the primary mode of treatment. Stimulants such as dextroamphetamine and methylphenidate are the main drugs utilized; they are available in immediate and longer duration versions. Bupropion is another important medicinal option, and there are a variety of other miscellaneous medications to consider, including modafinil, venlafaxine, tricyclic antidepressants, and guanfacine. Psychotherapy is shown to help control impulsiveness, form more satisfactory relationships, rear children more effectively, and improve organizational and problem-solving skills.

PMID: 12238735 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

With respect to the tripling of use of these drugs in clinical practice, I'd say that's mostly likely a side effect of our high pressure society and educational system. Not everyone is happy working their ass off to earn a passing grade; and when individuals learn they can pop this and/or that pill and put the same effort instead and be at the top of the class -- many jump right on board. Many seem to be willing to risk one or two side effects to be more successful in academia or otherwise.

Take care.

Edited by nootropikamil, 08 March 2007 - 02:40 AM.

#13 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:13 AM

You don't even write or spell like you are even the slightest educated. Anything you write and say is irrelevant in my eyes. You would know how to spell the word "believe" if you had any intelligence. Go "edumincate" yourself before you come here talking your pro ADHD med garbage. They are not healthy for your brain and apparently haven't helped you in your studies.

P.S. What in the world are you trying to say when ritalin makes you tired or you can sleep on it. Do you want a cookie? I know that in hyperactive individuals that it may calm you down, but what you are saying is irrelevant. I am not doubting that the drug works. I am just trying to point out that their are more healthier ways to combat this that will do more for you than just alleviating your ADHD symptoms. Just because it calms you down doesn't mean a thing to me.

You also stated, "as far as i know ritalin combots the cause of adhd directly". Then why in hell aren't you cured yet? Why do you have to keep taking the damn meds to get on with yourself. Why do people have to take the shit for years and years. You are kidding yourself.

To Technosophy,

Not everything in life needs "scientific studies" to back it up. Some things buddy only need a little common sense to figure them out. Something you may or may not have. Any substance that continuously puts undue pressure and stresses the heart, in my eyes, will shorten your life. This goes for all stimulates IMHO. It doesn't take a genius to see this. Anyone who doesn't see this, is usually one who uses the medication. Since they use it, they will justify their use, and shut out all negative views upon it. They are also neurotoxic. These meds are killing kids!!! They cause all kinds of detrimental crap.

They are also wayyyy overly prescribed. The docs make good money giving these substances out like candy without any regard for their patients' health. It is all about the money. It is a short-term fix. People like it, because it works. They know deep inside that there are most definitely healthier alternatives but are too dam lazy to attempt to try them.

You tell medievil to back up his statements, and you tell Technosophy that not everything needs to be backed up. What's with the hostility? Back it up. [tung]

#14 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

You tell medievil to back up his statements, and you tell Technosophy that not everything needs to be backed up.

Yes yes, you beat me to the punch mitkat. Pot/kettle and all that jazz.

#15 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:15 AM

You tell medievil to back up his statements, and you tell Technosophy that not everything needs to be backed up. What's with the hostility? Back it up. [tung]

Back what up? The statement about it shortening a user's life-span? If so, I can't. I am only making logical conclusions based off of many deaths attributed to these ADHD drugs. It is not my problem if you do not come to this same conclusion. Also, I never told medievel to back up anything. Learn to read please. I simply told him to educate himself. I was giving him constructive criticism:) If these drugs are so safe, why aren't they legal. I am not going to waste my time with this any longer. It is apparent that techy and his mittykat are both probably users of either of these drugs. Some people have a closed mind when it comes to certain things. It is obvious that you two meet the criteria for these types of individuals. Anyone who says stuff like this "Anyone who says you can get the same effect from over the counter supplementation as you can from amphetamine based treatment options doesn't have a clue what they're talking about" is not a person worth talking to. It is clear to me that this critter here loves his speed. Peace

Edited by luv2increase, 08 March 2007 - 06:20 AM.

#16 ironpancake

• 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:47 AM

I myself take Ritalin and Concerta. As far as I've heard (yes, this is second hand, sorry, throw it out if you wish) the few deaths reported from taking these medications were in persons who were already suffering from some sort of heart disease. I heard one died while playing football in 106 degree weather... The warning has been put out not because of a clear pattern, but because of a need to protect themselves from possible later legal trouble. Warnings of this nature aren't new.

And the reason that they're closely monitored (they aren't illegal, merely controlled) is because of their incredibly high potential for abuse. If these drugs were not safe they would not be prescribed as frequently as they are now. That may be a naive opinion, but until I see concrete evidence against these types of medications I will continue to take them, extol their efficacy, and advise those who need or want to try them to try them. [thumb]

I may be one of the few who feels this way, but I personally am against the idea that the government should control the substances I am allowed to put into my body. Now, I'm a 17 year old male, so that may have a little to do with my opinion, but I don't see why this many prescriptions is an issue - I don't think a prescription should even be necessary in the first place! The drugs help both groups of people: those people who have been diagnosed with a chemical need for it and those who are considered "normal". Learning and school performance is now a very crucial element in the options and opportunities you will be given later in life. If someone feels like it is cheating or unethical to take these drugs or to have them in such a large number of hands, please explain why? I don't see the problem in taking these highly tested drugs for cognitive enhancement (I assume an exorbitant number of these perscriptions are for people tricking their doctors or from doctors who don't care that they're being 'tricked') rather than the typical nootropics that are mentioned on this forum.

There may be OTC drugs that can combat these symptoms, however, I wonder if they would be able to do it to the same degree these drugs are able to? And to the one who was asking why these drugs haven't cured the problem and why it is necessary to take them over and over again, can you provide a solution that is a fix that would be able to alleviate the problems and allow me to never have to deal with this again?

If you're going to use statements not backed up with any study then i will combat with equal logic. I think these drugs extend life - they increase concentration and thereby those taking them regularly will be more safe driving cars, operating machinary, and in general be more aware of their surroundings and less prone to unnatural, accidental death. [wis] I think the studies have already been offered in this thread that support both the efficacy and the relative safety of these drugs. I think the more interesting issue is the social and moral one.

#17 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

Back what up? The statement about it shortening a user's life-span? If so, I can't. I am only making logical conclusions based off of many deaths attributed to these ADHD drugs. It is not my problem if you do not come to this same conclusion. Also, I never told medievel to back up anything. Learn to read please. I simply told him to educate himself. I was giving him constructive criticism:) If these drugs are so safe, why aren't they legal. I am not going to waste my time with this any longer. It is apparent that techy and his mittykat are both probably users of either of these drugs. Some people have a closed mind when it comes to certain things. It is obvious that you two meet the criteria for these types of individuals. Anyone who says stuff like this "Anyone who says you can get the same effect from over the counter supplementation as you can from amphetamine based treatment options doesn't have a clue what they're talking about" is not a person worth talking to. It is clear to me that this critter here loves his speed. Peace

More ad hominems, ignorance and intolerance. How sad.

I certainly don't have a closed mind on finding the best ways to optimize my cognition, nor do I ignore evidence that indicates I am putting my health at risk. I am one of those individuals who actually DOES have ADD. I've been clinically diagnosed with Type II ADD and have virtually all of the clinical indications for this "disorder". And I have done my homework and am well researched on the subject, which might explain why having to deal with uninformed opinions such as your own bothers me so.

I suppose I must concede the point to Shepard that it is an open question as to whether non-prescription ADD treatments can be as effective as prescription medication options. I do agree that each instance of ADD and the best method for dealing with it needs to be addressed on case by case basis. For me personally, Adderall has been very effective.

There are other solutions I utilize in concert with the Adderall that also have a noticeable effect. Exercising on semi-regular basis definitely does help from my experience. Omega 3 fish oil also *seems* to have a positive effect.

My current (not too fancy) regiment consists of the following:

With breakfast - megaman sport multivitamin, 50mg coq10, 2 capsules of fish oil, 1 table spoon of delsym, and 5 mg Adderall.

Right before lunch - another 5mg of Adderall

Mid Afternoon - 5mg Adderall

Taking 15mg of Adderall daily is well within the safety guidelines. I also have a policy which I follow to avoid tolerance build up which has worked since I have started taking Adderall (I have never felt the need to increase my dosage).

Certainly there is the potential for abuse with any amphetamine based substance. I once took a few extra doses of Adderall just out of curiosity to see what type of euphoric effect it produced. The results were not bad, though not at all comparable to what one would experience with common street drugs. I have no desire to use my meds again for recreational purposes as the high wasn't really that good and quite frankly they cost a hell-of-a-lot of money. With my standard use of 15 mgs spread out over the course of a day I experience no euphoric effect whatsoever. So your claims that "this critter loves his speed" are without merit and ad hominem. Do us all a favor and please try to avoid derogatory comments in the future. [thumb]

#18 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

To Technosophy,

i will answer this question when you can translate this text in dutch, no spelling mistakes and i'l know if you use an online translater smartarse

Then why in hell aren't you cured yet?

when i've taken ritalin i'm cured, why do you think that combatting the cause is the same as cured?

Any substance that continuously puts undue pressure and stresses the heart

i dont even beleive that happends in ppl that truly have ADHD

#19 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Certainly there is the potential for abuse with any amphetamine based substance.  I once took a few extra doses of Adderall just out of curiosity to see what type of euphoric effect it produced.  The results were not bad, though not at all comparable to what one would experience with common street drugs.  I have no desire to use my meds again for recreational purposes as the high wasn't really that good and quite frankly they cost a hell-of-a-lot of money.  With my standard use of 15 mgs spread out over the course of a day I experience no euphoric effect whatsoever.  So your claims that "this critter loves his speed" are without merit and ad hominem.  Do us all a favor and please try to avoid derogatory comments in the future.  [thumb]

i do NOT understand how you can get any effects from a high dose adderal??
i have got adhd, and i've taken a lot of ritalin before, but no euphoria

#20 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

Omega 3 fish oil also *seems* to have a positive effect.

This recent report seems to back that effect up. [thumb]

#21 fast turtle

• 73 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

To whomever refuted my claims about ADHD medication alternative:

I have both ADHD and extensive experience with amphetamine, substituted amphetamines, and DA/NE reuptake inhibitors. However, just because they're 'medication' doesn't also mean they're not 'speed', just as 'diamorphine' isn't anything less than 'heroin'.

Certain people do need amphetamines, notable those people who get so distracted that they can't cook a meal for themselves, or do their own laundry. However, I strongly believe that most of the people currently on DA/NE reuptake inhibitors/releasers do not fall into that category; most of the ones I met went on them because of poor grades or they felt like they got distracted from work too easily. It's not as if it were life threatening to them, though... however, ichemic and cardiac events, and permanent dopaminergic reduction, might be a little more serious.

#22 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

^^ i totally agree

i know some ppl that had their blood pressure reduced when taking meds like adderal, because of the reduced stress

i beleive it are all those ppl thinking they got adhd that give those meds a very bad name

#23 jdog

• 227 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

Just thought I'd 'stir up the kettle' a bit with this article from cnn.com.

http://www.cnn.com/2...rall/index.html

To whoever was joking about prescribing stims for obesity, you might find this funny .

Anyone see the movie, Requiem for a Dream? Remember the guy's mother? Haha, that's what popped into my mind after reading this.

#24 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

that are the idiots that get strokes and shit from a stimulant med
for add'ers it just fixes up dopamine, no problem

#25 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

that are the idiots that get strokes and shit from a stimulant med
for add'ers it just fixes up dopamine, no problem

how are the people who have serious side-effects from stims idiots???

#26 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

i'm saying ppl taking ritalin for other purposes are idiots

#27 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

resveratrol kills appetite, theres an cannibinoid antagonist, use those things, dont **** with stimulants to lose weight

#28 wootwoot

• 112 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

The problem is that there is no surefire way to test for ADHD. Your son isn't doing well in school? Here give him something to speed him up and give him false energy and confidence. I used to be prescribed ritalin and it was stupid. It did help for studying but it would help anyone. I had enough energy to study and concentrate for hours on end. Over time I met others who had similar prescriptions. Many upon many people out there who say they have "ADHD" have nothing and like the speedy effects. This tripling is not due to new techniques of diagnosing ADHD, it is due more to anxious parents wanting a quick fix for bad students and people lying to abuse the medicine. There may be some people who actually do suffer from ADHD but nowhere near the amount of people that claim to. I did not have ADHD or anything but it took me a while to realize my problem was motivation. If you feel no motivation you will do nothing.

#29 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:14 AM

The problem is that there is no surefire way to test for ADHD. Your son isn't doing well in school? Here give him something to speed him up and give him false energy and confidence. I used to be prescribed ritalin and it was stupid. It did help for studying but it would help anyone. I had enough energy to study and concentrate for hours on end. Over time I met others who had similar prescriptions. Many upon many people out there who say they have "ADHD" have nothing and like the speedy effects. This tripling is not due to new techniques of diagnosing ADHD, it is due more to anxious parents wanting a quick fix for bad students and people lying to abuse the medicine. There may be some people who actually do suffer from ADHD but nowhere near the amount of people that claim to. I did not have ADHD or anything but it took me a while to realize my problem was motivation. If you feel no motivation you will do nothing.

Excellent post. I agree 100%.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:16 AM

ADD/ADHD is simply a classification system that is used for individuals that perform better in modern society (especially academia) with particular medications than without. This does not mean they require the medication to be successful in the "real world" -- just for the specialized clustered, pressured "box" that modern academic systems now fit into.

ADD/ADHD classification is based on DSM-IV criteria.

Posted Image

The classification scale is somewhat based on IQ "intelligence tests" -- and increased performance appears to be represented graphically in an inverted U -- on the rising scale of IQ, some folks experience increases in their IQ score with the aid of certain medications. Now, if someone already has a very high IQ, then ADD/ADHD medications actually make them perform worse than if they are not medicated. You can hear Dr. Danielle Turner explain this effect in the video linked below -- when the drug used in methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) is used in comparison with healthy subjects. The entire video is worth a watch...however, the ADD/ADHD points I addressed above start at about 20 minutes into the webcast linked below (you need real player or real alternative to view this webcast):

Nick Boström (and Danielle Turner) on cognitive enhancement, webcast presentation at the Oxford conf.
http://streaming.oii...6/16032006-1.rm

Recent evidence might suggest that ADD can be linked to smoke and/or lead exposure.

http://www.forbes.co...cout535028.html

Health Highlights: Sept. 19, 2006
09.19.06, 12:00 AM ET

Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:

ADHD Cases Linked to Smoke Exposure, Lead

Childhood exposure to lead and smoking during pregnancy may be responsible for one-third of the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder cases in the United States, researchers reported Monday.

The study, headed by researchers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, was the first to estimate the number of ADHD cases attributable to environmental toxins. The study was published online Tuesday in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives, according to an Associated Press report.

The findings build on previous research linking toxic chemicals and other environmental factors to attention problems and developmental and neurological disorders in about 3 percent of all U.S. children.

The researchers analyzed data on almost 4,000 U.S. children ages 4 to 15 who were part of a 1999-2002 government health survey. Included were 135 children treated for ADHD. Children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy were 2.5 times more likely to have ADHD than children who weren't prenatally exposed to tobacco, and children with blood lead levels of more than 2 micrograms per deciliter were four times more likely to have ADHD than children with levels below 0.8 microgram per deciliter.

The government's "acceptable" blood lead level is 10 micrograms per deciliter, and an estimated 310,000 U.S. children ages 1 to 5 have levels exceeding that, the AP reported.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users