Photo
- - - - -

'racetam advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bacchus26

• 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:07 AM

so anyway I'm 24, 155lbs, and in good physical condition. this is my first experience taking nootropics, so I was wondering if I could get some advice from some more experienced members of this board. I've just purchased a bottle of Jarrow alpha GPC 300mg capsules. I'm currently taking 1 capsule a day but I intend to gradually increase to 2 or 3 capsules a day in a couple of weeks or so. I have 2 bottles of Piracetam 800mg in the mail right now which I will begin taking in about a month or whenever I can say for sure that I'm feeling the effects of the alpha GPC.

for the first 2 days of taking Piracetam I intend to go with the classic "attack dose" of 800mg every hour for 6 hours (total: 4.8g piracetam/day), then cutting back to 1 or probably 2 capsules a day (800-1600mg).

now the question is, how much alpha GPC should I be taking those first 2 days along with the "attack dose" of piracetam? how much should I be taking every day after that with a reduced dose of piracetam? my concern here is that I end up taking in too much choline and/or take it in the wrong ratio with piracetam and end up experiencing some of the unpleasant side effects that people on this board have described. through my own research on this board and elsewhere I've read that the recommended ratio is 600mg alpha GPC to every 1600mg piracetam. also stated as choline:piracetam = .2

so by my calculation this would mean that for the initial attack dose of 4.8g piracetam each day, I would also be taking 1800mg of alpha GPC every day! so 6 piracetam capsules and 6 alpha GPC capsules. but isn't taking that much alpha GPC dangerous?!?

in another thread a Jarrow representative was quoted as saying that there are 141.3mg actual choline in every 300mg alpha GPC capsule. so with 6 capsules a day I'd be taking in 847.8mg of actual choline. oddly enough, this comes out to about .176625 choline/piracetam, which is pretty damn close to the .2 ratio recommended above. but still... does anyone think that this is a little bit excessive, or will the choline depleting effects of the 'racetam keep things in balance?

please help me out, any advice is appreciated!

also, are there any other precautions or other bits of advice that I should be aware of?

#2 prodigy2020

• 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:14 AM

As has been mentioned several times on this board, everyone is going to have a different ratio.

Personally, I take 300mg AGPC with anything from 800mg-3.2g piracetam, and it suits me well. Some days I'll take all 3.2g piracetam at once, other days i'll split it up into 2 doses and take 300mg AGPC each time.

Any more choline than this often gives me unpleasant side effects, depending on what else I've eaten that day.

I take Source Naturals AGPC, btw.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aikixen

• 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Not trying to hijack your thread, but my question/observation is very similar so maybe it will help you too.

As I am very new to nootropic stacking, I recently ordered some bulk powders of Piracetam, Aniracetam, ALCAR, and Alpha GPC. I've read through this forum a bit and have seen varying degrees of dosage strengths and ratios. I decided to give it a go like this:

Piracetam 1000mg
Aniracetam 500mg
Alpha GPC 1000mg
ALCAR 700mg

All taken together in water, 2 times daily. This pretty much equals 1/4 teaspoon each, according to the container. The first day seemed OK, I truly couldn't tell one way or the other if anything was going on inside. On day 2, I started to get a headache and felt a little detached(maybe I was just focusing so much on my headache) about a couple of hours after the 2nd dose...which was about 6 hours after the 1st. It didn't go away until late that evening.

Based on this info, does it sound like I took too much GPC or not enough? I know Aniracetam is stronger than Piracetam, so I was trying to account for that. Should I cut all of this in half and try again? I'm open to any thoughts and suggestions.

#4 simple

• 258 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

Mi simple suggestion is for anybody that is going to try a nootropic, to start with one item at the time and see the effects on you, after a week or so you will have a good idea what is it doing for you, then go second step and add a second compound, for a weeks time, and so on, as PRODIGY2020 mentions, everybody has different tolerance levels depending on age, health, weigth, nutritional issues and so.

Also, there is no proof that "attack doses" have a better or worse result, it very much depends on your body.

#5 simple

• 258 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

BACUS26 By the way, what is it that you are trying to attain ????

#6 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

simple is right, try one thing at a time to see how it works for you. I never used an attack dose of piracetam and noticed results within a couple days. bacchus26, that is a huge dose and probably too much for you. Too much is worse than too little.

#7 simple

• 258 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

Yes, thaks for the support, do remember that most everything works with in parameters too much or too little is not good

#8 britefella

• 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

Hello.
I am very new to this and have almost confused myself in all the learning and research on nootropics. I am also not sure if I am posting in the appropriate place, so sorry if I offend anyone.

I am considering the following mix of supplements and am wanting some feedback on the synergy and dosages please..

My aim is clarity, alertness and creativity - I am a techer by profession and am reputed to already have an extremely good and retentive short and long term memory. However, lately I find I'm slipping a bit.

(I am 41, 200lbs, very healthy and intelligent, excellent diet.)

(I have tinnitus so vinpocetine and ginko are for a dual reason)

PROPOSED:

Aniracetam
Vinpocetine
Huperzine A / Ginko
Centrophenoxine

ALREADY TAKING:

ALCAR
R-ALA
Green tea extract
Omega 3

Thank you in advance.

#9 bacchus26

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

You are all probably correct about keeping from getting too nutty with the initial dose, although on the bottle it does say to take 2.4-4.8 grams per day. Books I've read claim that effects can be felt with as little as 400-800mg per day. The piracetam I bought is from relentless improvement which seems to be one of the better suppliers so I'd think they know what they're talking about. IMO the greatest risk seems to be taking too much Alpha GPC and having a cholinergic reaction.

Also, would anyone here recommend taking choline citrate in addition to the AGPC?

Thanks,

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:01 AM

Also, would anyone here recommend taking choline citrate in addition to the AGPC?

Alpha GPC is the preferred form, I would not bother with choline citrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users