• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Christian Communism

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:35 AM

I would do it for month or so. Sounds like fun. Ultimately I'd prefer to live in a progressive, future oriented community. My worst fear would be living inside Costco in the year 2505.

My first thought was like, dude, that is exactly what I would want to do! Think of all the cool stuff you could buy, and then come back here an ebay it for like billions! Then I checked out the link. Now I have to get that video.

If you enjoyed the clip you're gonna love the movie.
I'm laughing just thinking about some of the scenes right now. [lol]
The rest of the Youtube clips don't do it justice.

#32 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

How about 30 to 60 day retreats to well run religious kibbutz like I'm talking about to start people thinking about adopting this way of life permanently.

This is possibly the best idea I've seen in this thread. Why not view this as your opportunity to get the laborous tasks of refurbishing your facility done while both spreading knowledge of what you're doing AND bringing in a small income.

You could advertise places like craigslist with something like this:

Spend the hardest and most rewarding month of your life with us. Only those determined to bring radical change into their life need apply. You will be provided with healthy and nutritious cuisine in a supportive environment. However you will be expected to pull your own weight in a full-time capacity as a member of the team rebuilding a former military installation into a communal living facility. Previous construction experience is a plus but not essential. Contact XXXXX for more details. Then bring yourself and $1000 and let the adventure begin!

You can obviously come up with more effective and targeted pieces than this. You might even advertise this as an initial trial period for those who wish to make a longer-term commitment to the concept.

#33 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

I'll take this as a hint you do not wish to discuss these matters further Elijah.

and I suppose it's best I never respond to your threads, if this is the case. [mellow]

I'm willing to discuss matters of religion and communism with you but not if you continue to ignore my posts.

After I responded to samson, I was tired and couldn't think of anything else. I'm not a fast thinker or a good writer - especially when I'm tired. I also remember the last time I responded to one of your hostile posts. I got chewed out by the brass.

Again, my apology on the mistake I made about your sexual orientation. I'm glad to hear you're not a homosexual facing the likelihood of a drastically shortened lifespan as a result of an unhappy and stressful lifestyle.

On the science and technology issue, you should read Erich Fromm's book The Revolution of Hope: Toward A Humanized Technology. Fromm recognized the need for “the emergence of new forms of psychospiritual orientation and devotion, which are equivalents of the religious systems of the past” as necessary to overcome the weaknesses in man's character and the dehumanizing aspects of our modern industrial society.

I wouldn't let myself be influenced too much by the writings of this Marquis de Sade guy, you mentioned previously, if I were you. Even though I've never read any of his books, it sounds like he has another one of those counterproductive, dead-end philosophies of life.

#34 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

Elijah, You remind me of Bruce Beach, the survivalist guy in Canada. You look somewhat like him.
Maybe you know him.

No, I never heard of him. I like that wilderness survival stuff too. Canada would be the ideal spot to start a new style religious kibbutz in my opinion.

#35 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

Elijah, I think what you are doing is admirable. I don't think there's much of a "future" in communism, given human nature and all, but as long as the members were motivated, it would probably be great. Sort of like, I don't know, Shakers with Sex? (and fewer calories?) It must get a little tiresome sometimes what with all the hostile atheists and high schoolers, but hang in there.

Yea, the Shakers had the wrong religious ideals for communal living. Mixing protestantism and monasticism just won't work. God wants strong marriages between men and women with a lot of reproduction going on. Genesis 1:27-28.

I'm going to take your advice and hang in there. I figure the atheists and the youth will change once they see the great potential of a fully developed Christian communist society for living out a long and happy life successfully.

#36 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

How about 30 to 60 day retreats to well run religious kibbutz like I'm talking about to start people thinking about adopting this way of life permanently.

This is possibly the best idea I've seen in this thread. Why not view this as your opportunity to get the laborous tasks of refurbishing your facility done while both spreading knowledge of what you're doing AND bringing in a small income.

You could advertise places like craigslist with something like this:

Spend the hardest and most rewarding month of your life with us. Only those determined to bring radical change into their life need apply. You will be provided with healthy and nutritious cuisine in a supportive environment. However you will be expected to pull your own weight in a full-time capacity as a member of the team rebuilding a former military installation into a communal living facility. Previous construction experience is a plus but not essential. Contact XXXXX for more details. Then bring yourself and $1000 and let the adventure begin!

You can obviously come up with more effective and targeted pieces than this. You might even advertise this as an initial trial period for those who wish to make a longer-term commitment to the concept.

I'm going to talk to Norm, our pastor who runs this thing, and see what he says. It sounds good to me. Thanks for posting this suggestion.

#37 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

While I'm posting suggestions, let me also suggest that you replace the word communism with something different. Even if you just used communalism that would be a drastic improvement. Although this link is not the most authorative, the word communism is poisoned by the weight of 100,000,000 human deaths. Not many other isms can make that claim.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 06 April 2007 - 02:37 AM.

#38 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

Again, my apology on the mistake I made about your sexual orientation. I'm glad to hear you're not a homosexual facing the likelihood of a drastically shortened lifespan as a result of an unhappy and stressful lifestyle.

This one comment speaks volumes about your true perspective. [wis]

Personally, I have zero use for mystics and those who celebrate irrationality.

Edited by proteomist, 05 April 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#39 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

While I'm posting suggestions, let me also suggest that you replace the word communism with something different. Even if you just used communalism that would be a drastic improvement. Although this link is not the most authorative, the word communism is poisoned by the weight of 100,000,000 human deaths. Not other isms can make that claim.

This is a good point. Dr. Wowk made the same suggestion at http://www.imminst.o...40. And, it was pointed out to me in a Yahoo religious group I was participating in about a year ago.

The reason I stuck with Christian communism for this thread was because of the Wikipedia entry with that title, at http://en.wikipedia....stian_communism, and because I thought it would attract the attention of the educated folk that frequent Imminst forums, who would be capable of making the necessary distinction between involuntary Marxist communism and the brand of voluntary Christian communism I'm suggesting.

I tried to talk to Norm at Bible study yesterday about your other suggestion but was unable to get his attention. He is very wrapped up and distracted by a civil suit that was filed against him that could shut us down. Once that's over I hope to have his full attention.

#40 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

This one comment speaks volumes about your true perspective. [wis]

Personally, I have zero use for mystics and those who celebrate irrationality.

Let me point out again that I sincerely apologize for mistakenly thinking karomesis was a homosexual. I got chewed out and warned by the brass for this. See http://www.imminst.o...20. I don't, however, have a rabid anti-homosexual agenda like the Phelps family. See http://www.imminst.o...=170&t=15332&s=.

I also don't consider myself to be a mystic or to be irrational in my beliefs. I like rational thought processes and believe that is what I employ when I reason from the Scriptures. I strongly believe that the right style of Christian communism is the only way possible we will ever be able to live out substantially lengthened lifespans successfully. People will just have to make the necessary sacrifices and give up some of their so-called individualistic freedoms to achieve the common good in the interest of longevity.

#41 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

I also don't consider myself to be a mystic or to be irrational in my beliefs. I like rational thought processes and believe that is what I employ when I reason from the Scriptures.

Unfortunately its the thought process which lead to the assumption that the scriptures are worth reasoning from which prove the weak link in your 'rationality'

#42 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:15 AM

I strongly believe that the right style of Christian communism is the only way possible we will ever be able to live out substantially lengthened lifespans successfully

Also... I think you have mentioned this point before (I tried locating it, however, I could not)

I remember last time you said something similar I asked you to please explain, but I never saw a satisfactory response, so... Please, I want to see why you think this, why would living as you suggest improve our lifespans? This is more of a push for you to back up your statements with explanations than it is for me to understand your thinking.

Sure, it will almost surely help with stress, and allow room for a much better diet than most have, but we don't need a 'religion' to do that, there are plenty of people who do not follow a god, who eat healthy, and are not stressed out.

I would really like you to answer my question straight this time, and avoid any reference to me being younger and 'less-wise' than you.

Show me how (other than diets derived from non-religious, scientific research) christian communism will improve our lifespans.

I tried my best to read all of the previous posts, and I saw one similar inquiry by Richard Leis, but I'm looking for some numbers here Elijah. There is no way in hell that people living in small religious communes would ever have realized the effects of CR without the help of scientists who depend on technology, and live their lives in the real world. So, what original, or parallel benefits does this sort of living offer?

#43 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

Joseph,

This whole thread was inspired by you, struct and Aegist. I felt I had to show you guys just how a Utopian society could be fashioned from the Scriptures. I thought I did a fair job but you still say you can't see it.

Have you ever fasted for any length of time or practiced calorie restriction? It's not easy. It takes strong willpower, discipline, and dedication. A communal society that makes fasting and calorie restriction a major tenet of their religion will be better able to practice it successfully. They will have the necessary psychospiritual devotion and motivation to make such a severe and ascetic diet work. Community support is also very important.

The Bible clearly supports vegan diets, calorie restriction, and fasting. Read Genesis 1:29-31; Daniel 1:8-16; 10:2-3; Matthew 6:16-18; Luke 4:1-2; Acts 13:2-3, for example. The principle characters of the New Testament and many from the Old Testament were models of asceticism, devotion, and self-sacrifice, just the right role models for making a close knit communal society dedicated to attaining long life work. I pointed this out in paragraph 4 of the letter to Norm at the beginning of this thread.

You've probably noticed that most serious practitioners of calorie restriction are not big, muscular people. They're typically slender and tend to be underweight by current standards. They're not built for doing heavy manual labor for sustained periods of time. That's where the blessing of a communal society practicing ascetism and the sharing of all labor comes in. Work hours are substantially reduced and the burden those few hours of labor require are shared equitably. The less monotonous work performed, the less boredom and stress. More time can then be spent on meditation, the right types of exercise (like swimming), and other activities that will bring happiness and meaning to life. This will reduce stress considerably.

You need to take a closer look at the letter I wrote to Norm at the beginning of this thread. It provides most of my reasoning for why Christian communism will reduce the risk of death and increase the length of life. There's not much else I can think of but this. I'm working on improving my writing skills so I can get this idea across more effectively.

It was not my intent to belittle you in previous posts where I may have indicated you lacked wisdom and understanding due to your youth. My intent has always been to show you a better path for obtaining a long and happy life.

#44 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, I tried my best to read the entire thread and part of your letter, I understand fully how a communal system of living could help you live longer by reducing stress, and eating healthier since you don't have access to Twinkies (but, that also means you do not have access to modern medicines and treatments)

If we were to all start living in communes, technological advancement would halt, and we would be making almost zero progress to extend lifespans beyond current 'limits'. Also, it doesn't need to be Christian communism, it could be based around worshiping trees and you would get the exact same effect.

So, while living in these communes, how big is too big?

You do realize that all of human civilization lived in small communes at an earlier point in history, with that being said, we have learned that the most effective way to improve our lifes is to reach higher, explore father, build bigger buildings, better defenses, tastier foods, more efficient trading systems, more effective medicines, and larger communities... everything supports everything else, and if you start putting limits on certain key aspects of a community, you begin to encumber other aspects such as quality of life. Are you shooting for ~120 years in this commune setup? Because, without a large scale civilization and its technology to help you out, that is all that you are able to achieve.

So, when the part of the world making technological progress (people who aren't in communes) make a scientific discovery that allows people to live 200+ years, will you accept it? Will you act as a freeloader and just consume it once it becomes available to you?

I (and many others here) would much rather prefer to spend our time actively contributing scientifically (or just socially) to actually defeating death, not just pursuing a surely dead-end path with maybe a chance of catching a free ride on the end.

If you want to go live in a commune, that is great, and I think it would be good for most scientists to take a break here and there and go live in one for a few months (I sure would!), but for creating a sustained civilization that is capable of someday defeating death, we must not place such encumbering limits on ourselves.

Some would argue: "When does it end? Do you just want to keep progressing and getting bigger and better toys forever?", my answer is Yes.

It was not my intent to belittle you in previous posts where I may have indicated you lacked wisdom and understanding due to your youth. My intent has always been to show you a better path for obtaining a long and happy life.

Ok, but it was not my lack of wisdom, it was my differing opinion, if I truly lacked the wisdom I wouldn't be bringing the issue up and I would accept your belittling remarks as the truth... Look, I enjoy debating with you. As long as you can substantiate claim to a superior opinion without using age, everything is just great, it isn't that it is insulting me, but rather annoying me because you use those statements like they actually prove something.

#45 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:50 AM

I agree with what Joseph has said.

Well said btw.

#46 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, I tried my best to read the entire thread and part of your letter, I understand fully how a communal system of living could help you live longer by reducing stress, and eating healthier since you don't have access to Twinkies (but, that also means you do not have access to modern medicines and treatments)

Why can't you envision a society without modern medicine where the people are living such healthy lives they rarely if ever need medical treatment? A highly educated people living communally with safety as a necessary prerequisite would rarely suffer injuries from accidents.

The so-called modern medicine of today is a part of the wage slavery/exploitation process of capitalism in my view of things. The medical and pharmaceutical industry keeps getting richer as the masses keep getting poorer and sicker and more dependent on their medical fixes. Some of the elderly are taking large amounts of various types of medications that are only improving their conditions temporarily, but, at the same time, seriously impairing their immune systems and sapping their strength for the long haul. This is disgusting in my eyesight. Better to practice healthy living with natural medicine for minor matters.

If we were to all start living in communes, technological advancement would halt, and we would be making almost zero progress to extend lifespans beyond current 'limits'. Also, it doesn't need to be Christian communism, it could be based around worshiping trees and you would get the exact same effect.

You're wrong on this point. Progress need not halt. It would just need to slow down somewhat in order to prevent human error or the unintended consequences of rapid progress. We can not continue to endure the exploitation, oppression, and destruction that follows advances in technology in the hands of humans without the necessary character and wisdom to use it safely for the benefit of everyone, not just a privileged minority.

So, while living in these communes, how big is too big?

I would say keep them under a thousand. Small communal societies well spread out would still be able to interact with neighbors too a very degree through major advances in the Internet and computing. In fact, I see this as absolutely necessary to keeping the communal society unified and progressing harmoniously according to the true teachings of Jesus Christ.

You do realize that all of human civilization lived in small communes at an earlier point in history, with that being said, we have learned that the most effective way to improve our lifes is to reach higher, explore father, build bigger buildings, better defenses, tastier foods, more efficient trading systems, more effective medicines, and larger communities... everything supports everything else, and if you start putting limits on certain key aspects of a community, you begin to encumber other aspects such as quality of life. Are you shooting for ~120 years in this commune setup? Because, without a large scale civilization and its technology to help you out, that is all that you are able to achieve.

I can see you're brainwashed by the "bigger is better" and "more is better" propaganda and mind set of our fast paced, overly materialistic and corrupt society. You've probably never experienced deprivation of any sort in your young life. It's a humbling experience that can bring great insight and wisdom if the mind is properly focused at the time.

I believe people will be able to push past the 120 year limit in a Christian communal society. Biological research can still continue, but probably at a slower and wiser pace for safety's sake.

But can you imagine what a communal society - practicing healthy living and Christ's teachings to their fullest - would be like if everybody lived out their 120 year lifespan in full vigor like Moses? See Deuteronomy 34:7. I have to assume that Moses died in his sleep painlessly and free of disease. Wouldn't you call this substantial progress over the conditions of today?

It's actually you that's putting limits on what can be achieved outside of "a large scale civilization" as you call it. Larger is more cumbersome and not always better in my opinion. Our large urban environments are unmanageable and ripe for serious disaster. Better to have small, manageable communities that are able to pick up and move quickly when necessary.

So, when the part of the world making technological progress (people who aren't in communes) make a scientific discovery that allows people to live 200+ years, will you accept it? Will you act as a freeloader and just consume it once it becomes available to you?So, when the part of the world making technological progress (people who aren't in communes) make a scientific discovery that allows people to live 200+ years, will you accept it? Will you act as a freeloader and just consume it once it becomes available to you?

How do you know, it might just be the communal people who discover how to live 200+ years and create the necessary environment for living the longevity lifestyle successfully. Will you be able to accept it?

Some would argue: "When does it end? Do you just want to keep progressing and getting bigger and better toys forever?", my answer is Yes.

And this is why I see a danger in greater advances in technology in the hands of a society not capable of using it wisely for the benefit of all. Advanced technology should never be looked it as "bigger and better toys." It should viewed as a very serious matter and not as child's play.

Ok, but it was not my lack of wisdom, it was my differing opinion, if I truly lacked the wisdom I wouldn't be bringing the issue up and I would accept your belittling remarks as the truth... Look, I enjoy debating with you. As long as you can substantiate claim to a superior opinion without using age, everything is just great, it isn't that it is insulting me, but rather annoying me because you use those statements like they actually prove something.

But you must admit that greater knowledge and wisdom does come with age and experience in many cases. Even in the scientific world you worship, how often do you see youth still in high school involved in the research or making significant discoveries? Rarely if ever. This is not to say you are not intelligent or do not possess any wisdom. You should be happy that you are a youth and your knowledge and wisdom is growing.

What statement(s) did I make that you saw as belittling? Maybe I can explain or clarify.

#47 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

If we were to all start living in communes, technological advancement would halt, and we would be making almost zero progress to extend lifespans beyond current 'limits'.

What if it were setup like the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, with the members free to focus exclusively on a shared scientific goal like life-extension or AGI? Although that would require a large and continuous injenction of funding, so I guess its not really a commune in the sense being discussed here.

#48 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

What if it were setup like the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, with the members free to focus exclusively on a shared scientific goal like life-extension or AGI? Although that would require a large and continuous injenction of funding, so I guess its not really a commune in the sense being discussed here.

What about before the Manhattan Project somebody quickly writes a book similar to Walden Two, but, instead of just the psychological principles envisioned by B.F. Skinner as forming the basis of his futuristic Utopian society, outlining a new form of communal Christianity seeking longevity through its religion and through science and technology practiced with caring, sharing and great wisdom according to the Scriptures? If only I had the writing skills to do it.

#49 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:38 AM

Alright, I will apologize up front for this long-winded response, but I feel it is necessary to get my point across most clearly, the last paragraph is a short summary if you can't spend time reading the main body of the response. I just see far too much wrong with this, so I have chosen to respond to just about everything you said Elijah (and Basho), however, there are a few points you and I can agree on Elijah.

Why can't you envision a society without modern medicine where the people are living such healthy lives they rarely if ever need medical treatment? A highly educated people living communally with safety as a necessary prerequisite would rarely suffer injuries from accidents.

No, I cannot imagine such a society existing in reality for very long, with our modem medicine we have achieved the ability to virtually eradicate plagues such as Small Pox, and Poliomyelitis. Why would you want to give up modern medicine in the first place? That doesn't make any sense at all. Of course it is always best to take good care of your body and avoid the use of medicines, but some people can't help it, some people are just born at a disadvantage, and some people just aren't very lucky and contract something, which then systematically wipes out the little tribe (In which case those modern medicines could very well have saved your ass).

The so-called modern medicine of today is a part of the wage slavery/exploitation process of capitalism in my view of things. The medical and pharmaceutical industry keeps getting richer as the masses keep getting poorer and sicker and more dependent on their medical fixes. Some of the elderly are taking large amounts of various types of medications that are only improving their conditions temporarily, but, at the same time, seriously impairing their immune systems and sapping their strength for the long haul. This is disgusting in my eyesight. Better to practice healthy living with natural medicine for minor matters.

Like I just said, some people have no choice! If you are suffering from severe pain, either you can help it out a little with natural methods, or you can completely mask it at the expense of your immune system (some people would rather do that). My dad has eaten healthy his entire life, exercised, and he is able to physically outstrip the 20yr olds where he works (He's turning 50 in a couple of months), but he has a pair of vertebrae smashing a nerve in his back that causes extreme pain periodically throughout the day. It is just a product of his age; Few people live such an active and healthy life, He refuses to take medicine his doctor offers because he feels that it will end up doing more damage than it is worth (He currently grows some Marijuana with a medical license)... If it weren't for his strong aversion to medicine he would probably be popping quite a few pills every morning. I would myself prefer to do the same because I know at what expense I would be taking the pills, but some people who may be in even more intense pain just might not be able to handle it, which is why a lot of our medicines are a necessity. It would be very irresponsible and cruel to simply remove these modern medicines from our arsenal.

You're wrong on this point. Progress need not halt. It would just need to slow down somewhat in order to prevent human error or the unintended consequences of rapid progress. We can not continue to endure the exploitation, oppression, and destruction that follows advances in technology in the hands of humans without the necessary character and wisdom to use it safely for the benefit of everyone, not just a privileged minority.

Look, compared to our current rate of progress, if we were to segment ourselves into small 1000-head communes, things would not be nearly as efficient, trade, manufacturing, experimentation would all suffer. Look at our current setup, look at the sizes of our cities and states, these are essentially just large communes, why do you feel the need to make them smaller and more granular?

Will you permit these communes to work together to achieve common goals such as building large scientific instruments, bridges, geological shields? If not, you will be stifling progress; and if so, think about what will happen when you have multiple communes working together, they make friends, they grow closer, they find mates among each other, they have children, and they intermingle, they will find very quickly that they can achieve much grander things when they amass themselves, and that making invisible walls or population limits for each commune only slows things down.

I would say keep them under a thousand. Small communal societies well spread out would still be able to interact with neighbors too a very degree through major advances in the Internet and computing. In fact, I see this as absolutely necessary to keeping the communal society unified and progressing harmoniously according to the true teachings of Jesus Christ.

Like I mentioned in my last post, these numbers are good for vacations and 3-month getaways, not sustained growth, what... are you going to kick the kids out when the commune starts getting too big? "Alright youngin's... go start all over and make a little commune over there, this one has reached its pop limit"

I can see you're brainwashed by the "bigger is better" and "more is better" propaganda and mind set of our fast paced, overly materialistic and corrupt society. You've probably never experienced deprivation of any sort in your young life. It's a humbling experience that can bring great insight and wisdom if the mind is properly focused at the time.

There is no brainwashing, my entire philosophy on life is based on what I have figured out on my own, there are very few things that I have picked up from others because I know that my philosophical-thinking is just about as good of quality as I can find elsewhere. I am sure you have driven a nice swift little sports car sometime in your life, it's fun isn't it? So, why stop at the model-T?

I often go and sit in the shade at the park for hours with my physics and math textbooks and read, I sit and think for hours on end, I am constantly trying to figure out how the universe (and more specifically our minds) work. I am a very introspective person, and I know that not everything in life is based on the size of your car, your stereo, or your girlfriend's breasts. But if you can figure out how to keep yourself happy (for me it is learning and building things), they sure can be great mood-enhancers, and people who intentionally deprive themselves of it are only missing out. You also have to realize that a Large Hadron Collider is much better than a tiny basement-built particle accelerator any day, so right there your point has been rendered completely invalid. Right now the LHC is one of the largest (actually I think it is the largest) collaborative engineering and research projects humanity has ever undertaken. If we said to ourselves... bigger isn't better... we don't need this to be happy, we would be missing out on some pretty key knowledge-nuggets we might find in the coming years. I also feel that someone is only entitled to accuse someone else of being brainwashed when their life isn't based around a single book.

But can you imagine what a communal society - practicing healthy living and Christ's teachings to their fullest - would be like if everybody lived out their 120 year lifespan in full vigor like Moses? See Deuteronomy 34:7. I have to assume that Moses died in his sleep painlessly and free of disease. Wouldn't you call this substantial progress over the conditions of today?

This point does have some merit, I have read somewhere (I can try to find the source if requested) that a large percentage of supercenturians were Seventh-Day Adventists, which tells me that they have worked out a nice little living-routine which many of us could benefit from (whether or not it is due to the teachings in the bible, or their community ideals is to be debated) but there is definitely a positive correlation that shows that your idea does actually have some potential... but you still must realize that it stops at roughly ~120 without further technological advancements.

It's actually you that's putting limits on what can be achieved outside of "a large scale civilization" as you call it. Larger is more cumbersome and not always better in my opinion

Hmm, possibly so... however, I would liken it to defining and elucidating limits of small communities rather than invoking or setting them.

Our large urban environments are unmanageable and ripe for serious disaster. Better to have small, manageable communities that are able to pick up and move quickly when necessary.

Hmm, if I were an enemy I would be a lot more afraid of a bull than 370 squirrels...

How do you know, it might just be the communal people who discover how to live 200, years and create the necessary environment for living the longevity lifestyle successfully. Will you be able to accept it?

If they were kind enough to offer it to someone outside of their commune, yes, I would take it, because I know that I have done my part in investing my time, and efforts into defeating the same enemy (just in different sized camps), we are infact allies.

And this is why I see a danger in greater advances in technology in the hands of a society not capable of using it wisely for the benefit of all. Advanced technology should never be looked it as "bigger and better toys." It should viewed as a very serious matter and not as child's play.

Even though I used the word 'toy' I am very serious about the matter, and I thought it would be apparent by the tone of my posts. A society or group of societies must have a very large degree of seriousness to be a part of a project as large as LHC, and that is one big toy.

But you must admit that greater knowledge and wisdom does come with age and experience in many cases. Even in the scientific world you worship, how often do you see youth still in high school involved in the research or making significant discoveries? Rarely if ever. This is not to say you are not intelligent or do not possess any wisdom. You should be happy that you are a youth and your knowledge and wisdom is growing.

What statement(s) did I make that you saw as belittling? Maybe I can explain or clarify.

I know the general correlation that exists between age and wisdom/knowledge, but that is hardly a constant or a rule, just about everyone on this board is smarter and more introspective than the average person their same age in the general public. The sort of thinking that goes on here is much higher caliber than most places. I cannot locate the comments (I tried searching but turned up nothing) but you and I are aware of their existence... In both instances they were of philosophical nature (not technical), if it were technical, then yes, I would be much more open to what you have to say simply because of your superior years... but it was not.

To an extent, this already takes place in high-level research projects (mainly physics), and if pop-culture were to begin to appreciate science and be willing to support these more often we could really get somewhere...

Ok, to sum things up. I know that there are benefits to living in communes, and there is some proof (proof enough for me at least) that when living according to the bible's teachings, you can extend your lifespan (see my Seventh-Day Adventist statement), but the same results can also be accomplished without the bible. Communal living is great for vacations and extended find-yourself sessions, and (personally, I want to go live with some monks in the mountains for a year or so when I reach a point where I am able to do so). But the moment where communal living begins to interfere with trading, manufacturing, and limits on population per group, things begin to go down hill, society loses its efficiency, and you find yourself spending more time messing with overhead and coordination. Communal living is good for decompression and stress-relief, not large collaborative projects, and technological advancement. And, a question for you Elijah, Do you realize how expensive specialized medical equipment it? This stuff used in protein folding, gene sequencing, and splicing is very complex, and would be pretty much impossible to build if you were limited to 1000-people per commune, civilization would find it very hard to progress, and it would also be very difficult to keep the communes from spilling over into each other and destroying their very purpose of remaining small.

In short... it just isn't economically, physically, or socially practical to employ if your goals are to live longer than ~120 years... or make large-scale scientific discoveries.

EDIT: Fixed a few typos

Edited by Joseph, 22 April 2007 - 01:46 AM.

#50 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

To an extent, this already takes place in high-level research projects (mainly physics), and if pop-culture were to begin to appreciate science and be willing to support these more often we could really get somewhere...

I guess I was going off on a tangent from the actual commune discussion. But let me vent a little bit.... I like to imagine what incredible advances we could make if researchers were free from the pressure of applying for grants, were not measured on the quantity of trivial papers published and referenced, and were working in a community of individuals who shared their vision and supported them fully in their research. Shared goals, the full support of the community, and the feeling of working together on some grand project (e.g. Apollo), or the fight against some great enemy (e.g. death) can be tremendously motivational. Think how much more we could accomplish without the constant distraction of defending yourself against discrimination and vilificatoin because you don't believe in a particular god, or don't follow the implicit religion of the state. Think about what progress could be made if our society valued human progress over conformance to archaic religions.

Phew. Rant done. ;)

#51 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:24 AM

Yeah... I dream of those days too...

#52 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

Checkout the section below on calorie restriction from an article by Andrew Weil, M.D., entitled The "Truth About the Fountain of Youth", appearing in AARP magazine's May/June 2007 issue.

Caloric Restriction

Another approach to extending life that has gotten a tremendous amount of media attention is caloric restriction. Decrease the number of calories that an animal eats by a third and it will live longer and stay in better health than its better-fed counterparts. Every animal species tested responds this way, including primates, and there is every reason to think humans would, too.

In a nutshell, the body seems to interpret caloric restriction as a signal that the environment is turning hostile. This signal activates master regulator genes that slow metabolism so the organism can hunker down and wait out the bad time. By tinkering with these genes in simple organisms, molecular biologists have extended life spans remarkably.

Biologists are also finding ways to mimic these results without cutting back on food. The recent excitement about resveratrol, an antioxidant found naturally in the skins of grapes, comes from experiments showing it reproduces the life-extending effect of caloric restriction in certain lower species such as worms and fish.

This line of research is compelling, but I have a number of concerns about its applicability to humans.

*Even if caloric restriction proves to be an effective means of extending life and health, few of us will go for it. A 50-year-old female, for example, might be eating as few as 1,000 calories a day.

*People who practice caloric restriction tend to be extremely lean with little body fat. Undoubtedly, this is better for their hearts, but it could make them more susceptible to other illnesses, including Parkinson’s and ALS.

*There is not enough resveratrol in red wine or grapes to give you the effect seen in worms and fish. You could take large doses as supplements, but we have no data at all on the safety or efficacy of those doses in humans.

*Manipulation of the master regulatory genes that influence life span in lower organisms might have unforeseen and disastrous consequences—such as increased risk of cancer—in more complex organisms like us.

It is theoretically possible that human life span can be extended, but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon.

In fact, I consider the fixation on antiaging and life extension to be a distraction from the important goal of healthy aging. That is, we should concentrate on making positive lifestyle choices now—eating better, exercising more, getting enough sleep, even improving our mental state—so that we can enjoy not just a longer life but a healthier one. Of course, eating right and exercising more aren’t as easy as getting HGH injections, but then, the best things in life rarely are.

http://www.aarpmagaz...n_of_youth.html

I think the author made a good point about improving our mental states. I just wish he would've went into this in more depth.

It's my belief, that calorie restriction probably isn't for aggressive, competitive, or overly intellectual people, and that it will work best in people with fully developed Christian character. This is why I strongly support Christian communism for calorie restriction, periodic fasting, and vegan diets. The mind/body component is essential for the success of these long term ascetic practices in my opinion.

Edited by elijah3, 01 May 2007 - 07:03 PM.

#53 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:06 AM

That was a good read, thanks man

#54 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:54 AM

Glad you liked it Joseph. I have a request pending to put it back in the calorie restriction forum as a thread starter. I hope it's granted.

Sorry I was unable To respond to your last post above. I tried hard to think of something but couldn't come up with anything. The same happened with maestro's post in the Christian Communism and a new economy thread. I went into a slump until a Christian brother gave me that AARP magazine article today.

#55 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:58 AM

Ehh, don't worry about it... May I ask why you are feeling down? I hope it wasn't anything that I might have said... I know I was a little heated during that last post... [wis]

#56 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

Nah, has more to do with working hard and coming in too exhausted with not enough energy necessary to think and write. Some people are prolific writers and good at it too. I'm not. I got to work hard at the little bit I write. I can read alot though.

#57 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

That may be good idea for people who can tolerate living like that but I would never want to live in a commune. For one thing, I'm not religious and, for another, I value my personal space too much. If didn't have my own place to be alone with just my friends and family, I'd be tense all the time. It just sounds too restrictive to me.

#58 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

That may be good idea for people who can tolerate living like that but I would never want to live in a commune.  For one thing, I'm not religious and, for another, I value my personal space too much.  If didn't have my own place to be alone with just my friends and family, I'd be tense all the time.  It just sounds too restrictive to me.

You couldn't make the necessary sacrifices for the sake of your children or for the sake of a longer and happier life? If you began a serious study of communal living and the Bible, I'm sure you could prepare yourself mentally to make the requisite changes. Just think of the benefits to be had.

#59 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

Now there's my idea of heaven on earth. By the way, excellent picture of Fuji-sama in your profile link.

I like to imagine what incredible advances we could make if researchers were free from the pressure of applying for grants, were not measured on the quantity of trivial papers published and referenced, and were working in a community of individuals who shared their vision and supported them fully in their research.  Shared goals, the full support of the community, and the feeling of working together on some grand project (e.g. Apollo), or the fight against some great enemy (e.g. death) can be tremendously motivational.  Think how much more we could accomplish without the constant distraction of defending yourself against discrimination and vilificatoin because you don't believe in a particular god, or don't follow the implicit religion of the state.  Think about what progress could be made if our society valued human progress over conformance to archaic religions.

Phew.  Rant done.  :)

#60 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

What happens if the children don't follow the parents footsteps? Would the children be punished until they believed?
Are the children spanked? "Spare not the rod!" (Pr 13:24)
What if an aunt puts adult size food on a plate and then spanks the child with a willow tree branch until their legs bleed, if they don't eat everything on their plate?
Or if the children start baptizing each other in the backyard swimming pool?
Or if a child refuses to go outside and pick strawberries or green beans or shuck corn?
Or refuse to help make "bread and butter pickles" because the white vinegar stank so bad, it hurts their nose.
Or refuse to help kill the rabbits, turtles, squirrels, chickens, fish, or to clean the deer in the garage?
Or "milk" the maple tree for sap? Or pick the roots of a sassafras tree?
Or tries to eat the muster, horseradish, Polk salad, or rhubarb plants raw?
Or refuses to pray before eating?

I grew up in Christian community (Don't you dare use the word "Communism" or they might attack you. This was back in the 1960's and pinko's weren't welcome!)

My bottom is still sore from all the spankings! [wis] It didn't help, I'm still the same! [tung]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users