• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Alternatives to Christmas

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:34 AM

I just found this and tucked it away for the future but I couldn't resist sharing :))

Posted Image

#32 quadclops

• 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:10 PM

Hi Don,

With the holidays rolling around again in a few months, I thought I'd reply to your question, even though I'm about a year too late.

Sir Isaac Newton, big-time science legend, was also born on December the 25th.

You could celebrate his birthday by decking an artificial apple tree with glass prisms, take in a show at your local planetarium, and invite your friends and family over for a birthday dinner involving all English recipes. You could even give them science-themed presents to round out the occasion! [thumb]

Hope this helped, or just gave you a giggle. [lol]

#33 quadclops

• 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:14 PM

Oops, I guess Bruce already beat me to the punch with the Newtonmass suggestion posted above!

Sorry, I must have missed it. [mellow]

That'll teach me to post before I've read all the entries. [wis]

#34 tous

• 78 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:59 PM

For me I'd have to say I celebrate christmas not a religious holiday but as a time of the year when family and freinds gather in a celebration of happiness and life.

Wether or not this tradition started because of the birth of the christian savior or not....or wether it was a celebration of a preist who dropped gold down the chimneys of the poor is irrelivant to me....It doesn't matter who started a holiday and for what motives, as long as you celebrate the joy it brings to you, your freinds and family, less the world.

Knowone will point a finger and say "You trator, you dont beleive in religion"(But if they did I'd suggest kicking there ass :) j/k) Seriously we are civilized people who can look past the surface of things and see that a fundemental idea no matter the identity or it's particular induendos can benefit the well being of anyone who celebrates it....

I'd say celebrate christmas.....At dinner when ur partner makes a prair thanking god..thank urself for allowing urslef to bring peace of mind and happiness to ur family

Sincerly TouS

#35 arc3025

• 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:28 PM

The Winter Solstice should be celebrated on its own day, rather than on December 25th. If you have your own family, the closeness of dates makes it very easy to celebrate. You can decorate your house with lights, put up a Yule tree, exchange presents, deck the halls, etc. Just skip the Nativity scenes, angels and babies, etc. Very easy. You can leave your decorations up till New Year's Eve and no one may even notice you aren't celebrating Christmas.

The Iranians have an interesting way of celebrating Winter Solstice, which they call Yalda. They stay up all night (the longest night of the year), feasting on fruits and listening to the reading of poetry.

Lots of options. If you are lucky enough not to be a Christian, don't contaminate yourself with Christianity -- not by any assimilation or compromise whatsoever. That way lies death.

#36 merlin

• 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:15 PM

My personal feeling, is that Christmas is what you make it. The society I see does not celebrate the "christ" in Christmas, though this year Christmas has a much more deeper purpose for me. For me the "Christ" has a special meaning and one, I as an Immortalist, think is important to celebrate.
The Immortals in existence, all had such a thing as christ consciousness, which freed them of the grip of death. And so, I celebrate Christmas as a means to honoring that which we are all in whatever way, are trying to reach, and those who already have...Jesus especially.

#37 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

i have no problem celebrating christmas. It's a pagan holiday anyway ;)

#38 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:58 PM

You're in serious denial if you think Christmas isn't a Christian holiday. Frankly, you don't get more Christian than Christmas.

Easter is far more christian than christmas. Christmas is just supposed to be Jesus's birthday. Easter is when he supposedly fullfilled his destiny and freed us from sin (through him).

Easter is far more important. I like to celibrate it by crucifying a rabbit.

#39 tous

• 78 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

Lol, good job on that one. Easters also a totally pagan holiday, good Friday, jesus, religion, all got tacked on after.... That doesn't sound right, and I dont mean it to sound like it sounds.....

#40 jaguar

• 217 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:57 PM

Don,

I've only read your first post. I'd suggest not celebrating Chistmas in any fashion due to it's disgusting nature. Further more, I wouldn't ever give birth to a child in this world.

Probably not what you wanted to hear?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users