Photo
- - - - -

Whey protein, acne and insulin

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 glexia

• 106 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:29 PM

Milk intake may affect acne severity through the Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1) pathway. In two large cross-sectional studies, milk consumption was positively associated with higher plasma IGF-1 levels[20,21] and in both studies, this was predominantly an association with skim milk. In a randomized clinical trial of the effect of milk intake on bone remodeling, intakes of skim and low fat milk were associated with increased serum IGF-1 levels in both sexes.[22] It is not clear whether the increased IGF-1 is endogenous—released in response to milk intake—or exogenous IGF-1 from milk. Human and bovine IGF-1 share the same amino acid sequences [23] and several milk proteins, including IGF-binding proteins (IGFBPs) protect IGF-1 from digestion in the gut.[24,25] Animal studies have shown that milk borne IGF-1 can be absorbed after oral intake.[24] IGF-1 directly stimulates basal keratinocytes' proliferation.[26,27] Although both serum androgens and IGF-1 levels rise at puberty, the period of maximum prevalence of acne and the course of the condition follow the levels of IGF-1 more closely than levels of androgens.[28] There is also a stronger correlation in women between acne lesions and IGF-1 compared to androgens.[29]

Milk intake may influence comedogenesis because it contains several bioactive molecules that can act on the pilosebaceous unit including androgens, 5α-reduced steroids and other steroid hormones.[30,31] Many of these bioactive molecules survive processing and in the case of cheese, fermentation results in the production of more testosterone from precursors in milk.[31] The level of androgens in milk has generally been considered low and first-pass metabolism in the liver may further reduce its bioavailability compared to the daily endogenous production in young children and adolescents. However, recent studies have questioned the methodology and assays on which estimates of daily production rates of endogenous steroid hormones in pre-pubertal children are based.[32] Dietary intake may be a more significant source of androgens than previously thought.[33] Milk also contains estrogens, some of which are produced in the lactating bovine mammary gland and are direct suppressors of sebaceous gland function.[28]

Some hormones in milk are carried by whey proteins, including α-lactalbumin, which also have intrinsic biological functions.[34] Animals fed α-lactalbumin-enriched whey protein show increased will and capacity to engage in physical activities, gains in lean body mass, improved efficiency of exercise training, and decreased percentage body fat mass; all of which are similar to the effect of androgens.[35,36,37] In addition, α-lactalbumin undergoes pressure-induced conformational alteration, possibly because of centrifugation stresses during processing; this leads to changes in biological function.[38] Whey proteins are also added to low fat and skim milk to simulate the consistency of whole milk. These proteins might therefore play a role in acne.

http://www.medscape....rticle/537367_4

EDIT :This link doesn´t work. I don´t know why. If you write in Google: "Milk intake may affect acne severity", you will find it (It is the first link)

Here´s is an article of Loren Cordain (The Paleo Diet): http://www.thepaleod.....e Article.pdf

I take whey protein in my breakfast and i have breakouts of acne ...maybe whey protein it´s not good for me?? I am starting a low GI diet. Should i eliminate whey ?

Edited by glexia, 04 November 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

I would look more into whether it is the casein protein, as well as other constituents, in milk causing problems such as acne. Casein will increase IGF-1 absorption.

Are you taking dairy with breakfast or just isolated whey? The part you highlighted suggests that whey proteins could increase acne due to being carriers of other parts in dairy. I have not seen evidence that isolated whey could increase acne. I have seen evidence for other parts of dairy doing so.

#3 glexia

• Topic Starter
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

I take soymilk (only soy+water),oats,nuts,cinnamon,flax seeds,cocoa powder, and quinoa with one spoon of bioactive whey. I have read this protein has bumped up levels of IGF-1 and other growth factors .

I take whey due it´s properties to rise immune system. Maybe i should replace it by lactoferrin. What do you think?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:59 PM

I have read this protein has bumped up levels of IGF-1 and other growth factors .

Do you remember where you read it or have references?

Edit: Oh yeah, when I said casein increased IGF absorption, I meant into the plasma, not bone.

Edited by cnorwood19, 03 November 2006 - 05:23 PM.

#5 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

I wouldn't necessarily assume your diet has anything to do with your acne.

These proteins might therefore play a role in acne.

#6 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

I wouldn't necessarily assume your diet has anything to do with your acne.

One way or another, diet or past diet can be pretty strongly linked to acne through various pathways. Insulin/glucose and eventually increased sebum production is just one of them.

#7 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

Jeremy: I am not saying that diet or past diet can't be pretty strongly linked to acne through various pathways.

I'm suggesting that glexia also try to assume her acne is not directly related to her diet; because it is also likely not to be.

I can't find any real evidence to suggest diet would directly fuel acne.

http://www.niams.nih...acne.htm#acne_a

What Causes Acne?

The exact cause of acne is unknown, but doctors believe it results from several related factors. One important factor is an increase in hormones called androgens (male sex hormones). These increase in both boys and girls during puberty and cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum. Hormonal changes related to pregnancy or starting or stopping birth control pills can also cause acne.

Another factor is heredity or genetics. Researchers believe that the tendency to develop acne can be inherited from parents. For example, studies have shown that many school-age boys with acne have a family history of the disorder. Certain drugs, including androgens and lithium, are known to cause acne. Greasy cosmetics may alter the cells of the follicles and make them stick together, producing a plug.

Factors That Can Make Acne Worse

Factors that can cause an acne flare include:

* Changing hormone levels in adolescent girls and adult women 2 to 7 days before their menstrual period starts
    * Oil from skin products (moisturizers or cosmetics) or grease encountered in the work environment (for example, a kitchen with fry vats)
    * Pressure from sports helmets or equipment, backpacks, tight collars, or tight sports uniforms
    * Environmental irritants, such as pollution and high humidity
    * Squeezing or picking at blemishes
    * Hard scrubbing of the skin
    * Stress.

Myths About the Causes of Acne

There are many myths about what causes acne. Chocolate and greasy foods are often blamed, but there is little evidence that foods have much effect on the development and course of acne in most people. Another common myth is that dirty skin causes acne; however, blackheads and other acne lesions are not caused by dirt. Stress doesn't cause acne, but research suggests that for people who have acne, stress can make it worse.

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

I'm about to leave for the weekend, but if you search for 'acne' by the poster 'trouble' at M&M and Iron Addicts you'll get a good idea of the potential connections. Otherwise, someone PM me on Sunday night and I'll try to do a short version of diet and skin issues.

#9 glexia

• Topic Starter
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

I can't find any real evidence to suggest diet would directly fuel acne.

http://newsinfo.colo..._id=-1597173170

Despite the nearly universal presence of acne in westernized countries like the U.S., there is intriguing evidence from frontier physicians, explorers and anthropologists that the prevalence of acne is lower in native people living and eating in their traditional ways. These observations had not been formalized in the medical literature until 2002 when Dr. Cordain and his colleagues published a landmark study in The Archives of Dermatology. In this study, they examined a group of people living on the remote Kitavan Islands off the coast of Papua New Guinea. Out of the 300 young people examined on the Kitavan Islands, there was not a single pimple to be found.

If you search for more info about Loren Cordain and and his study in Google, there are some information about the influence of diet in hormones IGFBP-3 and IGF-1. I think all he says make sens...

#10 glexia

• Topic Starter
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

EDIT: There is a problem with the first link i wrote. You have to write in Google the first sentence of the article to find it. ;)

#11 David

• 618 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

As a lifelong sufferer of achne, I found removing personal hygene products with sodium laureth sulphate in them helps a lot. It's the foaming agent in most soaps and shampoos. It's a hassle finding products without the offending product, which is also used to degrease motor mechanics floors.

Ammonium laureth sulphate doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Also, zinc tablets helped.

#12 glexia

• Topic Starter
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

David i don´t use anything with sodium laureth sulphate ;)

Yes , i know zinc helps .

Do you follow some anti-acne diet?

#13 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

I'm also a lifelong acne sufferer. Anyway, it decreased to a level where I only have some acne on my chest. I did not find any diet correlation. However, in my case there must be some kind of link with my hormone system. Taking the smallest amounts of pregnenolone or DHEA does worsen my acne symptoms severely. Also aswaganda does have this effect combined with other skin rashes that are very unpleasant.

#14 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:20 AM

Take lots of EPA 1-12g/day (and DHA, too) to produce dormant prostaglandins. A no-grain / lower omega-6 diet alone won't do it as we don't naturally produce epa.

http://www.eurekaler...s-aeo040306.php
http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_DocSum

#15 David

• 618 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

I haven't found anything dietary related to Acne.

At the risk of being laughed at, there was a correlation between the alleviation of the great big weeping cystic lumps I was getting and the cessation of my marijuana use.

It could be the pot, it could be the tobacco it was being mixed with and it could have been the sharing of unhygenic Bongs and joints with other acne sufferers.

I saw something on the news about excma sufferers being identified by tiny microscopic cracks in their skin that allowed contaminants in, causing bigger cracks and skin flaking. Perhaps there is something like that going on for us acne sufferers.

#16 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

CR cleared up my skin so much...

#17 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

It could be the pot, it could be the tobacco it was being mixed with and it could have been the sharing of unhygenic Bongs and joints with other acne sufferers.

Lol..don't touch that bong, you'll get [airquote] the pot [/airquote] disease. *said with 50's propaganda film scorn*

#18 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:24 AM

The authorities that say there is no connection between diet and acne are, in my mind, similar to the ones who say you can get all the nutrients you need from food and don't need any supplements whatsoever. They're way behind the times.

#19 glexia

• Topic Starter
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

Good news guys! My skin is better! :)

-I eat a big bowl of spinach, kale, cucumber, and carrots every day (i think these greens are very helpful for acne)

-Drink plenty of water

-I eat tuna and salmon

-Avoid milk (i only took a little yoghurt yesterday for good bacteria and it doesn´t make me break out)
avoid wheat. I don´t eat bread or pasta. I have bought a rye organic bread and i tested to take a little, the next morning i had a new pimple! i avoided to eat bread the next days and my face are very cleared now (only red marks of pimples).

- I add a little spoon of brewer´s yeast in the spinach and greens (maybe zinc and chromium are doing something too)

- I drink a cup of green tea with powder leaves of Stevia every day.

-Avoid fried things and i add extra virgin olive oil in my greens.

- I follow a low I.G diet .

- I put a mix of cucumber and green tea in my face as a tonic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users