- - - - -

New ImmInst Banner

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

Ok, instead of continuing to hijack other threads on stuff, here is one for the header only. After several iterations, and a bunch of re-edits on my part that I never displayed, here is what is approaching a good one I think:

Posted Image

It rotates at a slower rate than the original rotating graphic by about 25%, and rotates 3 times before stopping.

Stuff that can be changed the rotation speed, the amount of times it rotates, font size or style or color (there is lots of stuff with text you can do, making it look metallic, or like ice, gel-like, or whatever), what the text says, the background color, etc.

The background color is a little bit off from the current one. I have decided that encorporating the moving text, it is just about impossible to get the color to match exactly (I can go into technical detail for why this is if anyone is interested), so I got it to be fairly close. The top header will need to be changed slightly to "R 10, G 21, B 76" (0a154c) from the current "R 4, G 17, B 89" (041159) by whomever has access to change the html for it to match exactly. (I can help out with this if needbe)

In any event, any suggestions (more rotations, size of text, etc.) on stuff that might be improved?

#2 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

For reference, here are some of the other ones that I created early on:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, other "fancier" text effects could be done, I just didn't spend the time to do them for the quick ones I was doing. Stuff like the following could be done:

Ice text:
Posted Image

Gel text:
Posted Image

Metallic text:
Posted Image

Kind of like a reflective chrome:
Posted Image

etc., etc., etc.....

#3 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

you seem to have lots of free time ;-)

what about:
IMMINST
For indefinite/boundless/unrestricted/unlimited lifespans

mmm.. if I'm already here....
I have a few things to say about this whole deal.

...the "term" infinite disturbs me.why? because to most, that gives the impression one would like to be "subjugated" into life, that is - having no option for death.

our emphasis should be put on the right to have A CHOICE. life is a priviledge, not an obligation. life without natural limits BUT without the sytematic accumulation of pathology and gradual failing of our many faculties.

another emphasis should be put on our more "sane", short-term and realistic goals: interference with the natural process of senescence. Our goal, not to prevent us from MATURING but simply: to stop the systematic DAMAGE and DECAY from destroying the beauty that is us.
Many people ascribe a desire for agelessness and eternal youth with vanity and the desire to maintain physical beauty; instead they say that such desire is vain and driven by conceit. therefore, an important topic is how we explain the discrimination between such common thought and our true mission and desire. I suggest putting a strong emphasis on the main cause: HEALTH extension, no more no less; stopping the gradual process of decay our bodies go through. sounds worthwhile, no? - everyone agrees HEALTH is important . when you start adding ultimate physical beauty, superhuman intelligence - people get scared and hold on to "what they know", the most stable environment they can get - - they hold to what they have at present: aging, "natural death". focus then should be shifted toward the HEALTH issue.
the more "hardcore" members of imminst will be exposed to the more far-reaching goals (singu. , human enhancement, transhumanism, etc etc')...........

again, this last emphasis is crucial: HEALTH extension and NOT life extenstion. When you speak of life extension, people immediately think of enlonging the old-age period of their life, in which most faculties have deteriorated. people dont want that. our mission: to extend our body's capacity to maintain optimal health; life extension is but the natural and obvious product of health extension, but such product is worthwhile provided our body is healthy!

just a few random thoughts.
oh well... back to studies ;-)

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:36 PM

Nate... very nice work.

Could you replace the current ImmInst.org, For open-ended lifespan graphic with this one.. and, if possible make the olive branches in the spinning graphic a bit more blue, like the current non moving one… by the way, to make it easier, this new version uses your new dark blue color.

Attached Thumbnails

• test3.gif

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:41 PM

Hmm... I bet making the olive branches more blue will be hard.

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Sorry, please use this one which is a bit more centered..

Attached Images

• text4.gif

#7 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:52 PM

Call me fussy but I am a font freak. I don't like the current font. Prometheus was using 'Myriad pro" in lower case and it looked really nice

#8 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

I second zoolanders font freakiness. at least have it shadowed a bit for depth

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Nate, if you are using photoshop or adobe software then design the font in illustrator and dump it into photoshop.

The current font is old fashioned whereas myriad pro in lowercase is progressive and pleasing on the eye.

• Lurker

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

Bruce, a reminder, that not only has not the Declaration of Principle that you have put up on the home page not been ratified either by Full Member or Directorial vote but neither has the by-line "for open-ended lifespans"..

#11 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:34 AM

Here we go, I used a drop shadow on the lowercase text. I think I might be using a slightly different font than you did to create yours. If you tell me the name of the font, I can be sure to use that next time. I used color replacement to make the leaves or vines or whatever they are more blue and less green, and I think it looks better now. Any other adjustments?

Posted Image

#12 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

Myriad pro

#13 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:38 AM

Hmm, the rotate around before stopping thing seems to be working in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. I don't know why that is. If I put it on continuous rotate it works in Firefox, and if I open the picture from my hard drive in Firefox it works, but it doesn't seem to work if I just paste in the direct link to the pic or on the page here.

#14 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

Yeah.. same prob. with my firefox. It works the first time, but not for other page openings. Nage, could you bring the graphic and wording a bit closer together?

#15 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

Bruce, a reminder, that not only has not the Declaration of Principle that you have put up on the home page not been ratified either by Full Member or Directorial vote but neither has the by-line "for open-ended lifespans"..

Thanks. Let's hash out these two in a seperate topic here.

#16 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:51 AM

Also, Nate... I think the "for open-ended lifespans" may look better w/o too much drop shading.

#17 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

Hey Live Forever...I really like your dedication. In tribute to your efforts, I would like to offer you a $50 store credit at http://nootropikshop.com. That does not mean you have to order $50 worth of stuff; so, if you want $49 worth, we'll send it to you for free, and owe you a dollar still. :) In other words, you don't have to buy anything.

We're still deciding whether to donate 10-20% of profits from nootropikshop to support anti-aging and nootropic research. If the company can grow to such a point where we can afford to pay our employees for their time and effort meanwhile not go under, we will turn ourselves into a non profit (we still will need pay employees salaries and such). We haven't quite grown to that point yet. I designed that site over a year ago in a psychotic state so when I criticize the appearance of this place, I should call that a hype statement...[huh] I'm just too lazy to fix that site up to look better...

Feel free to send me a PM with up to $50 worth of supplements and I'll ask Shawn to send it off to you free of charge, free shipping too.

Peace out, and great work!

#18 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:17 AM

Here we go:

Posted Image

Same thing, just continuous:

Posted Image

The top one works in Firefox (if I go to the direct link to it), but once it runs once, I guess it just holds it in your cache, because for subsequent times it doesn't do it, unless you reload a bunch of times.

Also, these might seem to go slow now that the page is filled up with pictures (since it has to load all of them), but if you go to the direct link for the individual one, you can see that it plays at the correct speed.

#19 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:29 AM

Nate,

Could you create the 3 spin with 'for infinite lifespans' (current font).

#20 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:33 AM

Hey Live Forever...I really like your dedication. In tribute to your efforts, I would like to offer you a $50 store credit at http://nootropikshop.com. That does not mean you have to order $50 worth of stuff; so, if you want $49 worth, we'll send it to you for free, and owe you a dollar still. :) In other words, you don't have to buy anything.

We're still deciding whether to donate 10-20% of profits from nootropikshop to support anti-aging and nootropic research. If the company can grow to such a point where we can afford to pay our employees for their time and effort meanwhile not go under, we will turn ourselves into a non profit (we still will need pay employees salaries and such). We haven't quite grown to that point yet. I designed that site over a year ago in a psychotic state so when I criticize the appearance of this place, I should call that a hype statement...[huh] I'm just too lazy to fix that site up to look better...

Feel free to send me a PM with up to $50 worth of supplements and I'll ask Shawn to send it off to you free of charge, free shipping too.

Peace out, and great work!

Sweet, is there any way I can donate it to ImmInst or anything as like a promotion to try and get more full members (like have a drawing for it for all new members over the next month or something). I don't know if it would have a ton of influence, but it might get some people from the nootropics forum to try out a full membership. Another idea might be to say the next 10 people that sign up to try being a full member for a month ($5) (or for a full year signup) could get $5 in nootropic credit. Some might not cancel and stick around.

Not that I don't appreciate it, you are very very generous to offer, but I don't want to accept anything for my efforts, and would feel wrong about doing so, I am just doing it to help out. [thumb]

Edited by Live Forever, 06 July 2006 - 01:59 AM.

#21 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:38 AM

Nate,

Could you create the 3 spin with 'for infinite lifespans' (current font).

Sure thing, when you say current font, do you mean the current font that is up there right now in the current banner, or the small font I used for the one I just made?

Also, I used just a hint of a drop shadow to the one I just made (about 30% I think, compared to the 100% for the ImmInst.org font). I thought it added a bit more depth than having nothing, but I can remove it and just have it plain if that is better.

#22 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:42 AM

ah, sorry, current as in the existing now on homepage. hint of drop is good.

#23 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:12 AM

Here ya go:

Posted Image

I did one little thing different and now it seems to be working fine in Firefox, so here is the other one, but this one should work better in Firefox:

Posted Image

#24 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:04 AM

Thanks, Nate!

Current:
Posted Image

Moving:
Posted Image

Any thoughts from members on if you like the moving more/less than current?

#25 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:07 AM

Not moving at all for me Bruce/Nate. I'm using firefox

#26 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:08 AM

The hour glass look much more like an hour glass... and the DNA looks more like a climbing double helix. I like the 3 times rotation then stopping.

#27 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:09 AM

The three rotation one looks awesome.

#28 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:13 AM

Although, the one thing that I would suggest if we're going to use the 3x rotation option is to have the double helix on the bottom half of the hour glass finish its rotation facing us.

#29 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:22 AM

It's working in IE for me but not firefox. I don't think that IE is the browser of choice these days

#30 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:23 AM

Although, the one thing that I would suggest if we're going to use the 3x rotation option is to have the double helix on the bottom half of the hour glass finish its rotation facing us.

Well, perhaps someone more clever than I can fix that, but the orientation of the DNA helix is fixed relative to the olive branches. Not much can be done about that, short of re-rendering all the frames, and, uh, I don't have the .POV file anymore.

For those unfamiliar with the origins of this particular rotating ImmInst logo, and for real newbies who might think I stole it as my avatar, please see here:
http://www.imminst.o...w=pid&pid=48812

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users