Photo
- - - - -

New ImmInst Banner

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:37 AM

Harvey, while I agree in principle that "things ought to work the way they were designed", I think it's far more consistent to use a bug that works in 95%-98% of browsers as configured, than to start experimenting in graphics formats that many people turn off for security or resource hogging reasons. I for one don't use flash or any of the other "standard" animation techniques out there, mainly because they're used so extensively for annoying ads.

My two cents.

#32 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

I am glad I can see animated gifs, jay's, mine, zoolander's, and Don's (just to name the people on this page) sigs would look very boring otherwise I am guessing.

As for zoolander's trouble with the gif, I am having the same trouble, but only after the animation plays. It rotates once and then stops. If I go directly to where the gif is (for instance here) then it plays correctly, or if I have already played it, I need to reload the page a few times to get it to play correctly. In IE it seems to have no trouble however. I think even motionless it looks better than the old one, however.

#33 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:36 AM

The font in white and in a different font would be a lot more effective.

Prometheus's initial change had white myriad pro font and it looked really effective

#34 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

There is really no point at which all of the silvery bar things are pointed forward all at the same time (they are all twisted at different angles). I was just messing around with it, and came up with this. The bad part is it looks pretty crappy while spinning, because you can see it flash the bars, but when it stops it looks pretty good:

Posted Image

#35 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:33 AM

Sweet, is there any way I can donate it to ImmInst or anything as like a promotion to try and get more full members (like have a drawing for it for all new members over the next month or something). I don't know if it would have a ton of influence, but it might get some people from the nootropics forum to try out a full membership. Another idea might be to say the next 10 people that sign up to try being a full member for a month ($5) (or for a full year signup) could get $5 in nootropic credit. Some might not cancel and stick around.

Not that I don't appreciate it, you are very very generous to offer, but I don't want to accept anything for my efforts, and would feel wrong about doing so, I am just doing it to help out. thumb.gif

Your work kicks ass. It's good to see so much work and dedication towards the cause -- it must have taken you several hours to put all of these together. Keep it up, and let me know where you want a $50 credit to. Peace out.

#36 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

The font in white and in a different font would be a lot more effective.

Prometheus's initial change had white myriad pro font and it looked really effective

The font is fairly easy to change, it just takes a bit. I can make one with white text too, that is no problem, Bruce just requested blue. I looked and couldn't find myriad pro for free anywhere (was about $35 everywhere), but I am downloading some torrents of fonts now, so maybe it will be in one of them. ;)

#37 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

I like the one prometheus made:

Posted Image

Although it still uses the old graphic, and even though it is smaller and right justified, still brings up images of aliens to those who wouldn't know what it is supposed to look like. Also, there is a drop shadow on the image, but none on the text.

Here are some more prototypes I came up with real quickly. The font is Myriad Pro in all of them (just different bolds, sizes, etc.). Just to spur on ideas, other stuff is possible. Of course mixing and matching features of more than one is probably the best way to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

3 more I just thought of:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

Nate, please don't hate me, but the more I sleep on this the more I feel that adding the rotating graphic may be non-essentially distracting. Also, while "Myriad Pro" seems OK, there is branding which has been built through the existing "Times" style.

Basically I'm leaning more toward staying w/ existing, but will be happily flamed into submission...

#40 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:17 AM

Nate, please don't hate me, but the more I sleep on this the more I feel that adding the rotating graphic may be non-essentially distracting.  Also, while "Myriad Pro" seems OK, there is branding which has been built through the existing "Times" style.

Basically I'm leaning more toward staying w/ existing, but will be happily flamed into submission...

Its all good. Just whatever everyone else wants is fine by me, I am generally pretty easy going. ;)

• Lurker

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

Bruce, surely you can see the how dated the shadowed bold times style is.. You don't have to choose myriad but try to open your mind to another font.

The branding is with imminst.org, immortality and immortality institute. Let the font go in peace.

#42 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:37 AM

To me, the "Times" lettering blends visually well with the olive branches and slogan...

Posted Image

...but that could just be me.

#43 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

Have you guys heard of cooltext? I started using it, so awesome. I made the text at my signature with the help of it...

-Infernity

#44 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

Have you guys heard of cooltext? I started using it, so awesome. I made the text at my signature with the help of it...

-Infernity

I know what you are talking about, infernity, but it seems that when I posted things about some "fancier" text, no one was interested. I think that most of the people here want to make the banner with simple text, and not too flashy. I do like your signature, though. [thumb]

#45 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

As long as we're on the subject of animated gif bugs, IE6 has a bug where, if the same animated gif is visible from two different browser windows, the graphics get messed up (flicker with bad data). Seems to be a sharing issue with the graphics buffer storing the gif output. Might be my graphics card, only happens on one computer...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users