Evidence green tea lowers risk of chronic disease

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:41 AM

Saw it today. Here is the article:
Evidence is strong that green tea lowers the risk for a number of chronic diseases

Medical Research News
Published: Tuesday, 6-Jun-2006

There is a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease and cancer in Asia where people smoke heavily, which may be accounted for by high consumption of tea, particularly green tea, according to a review article published by a Yale School of Medicine researcher.

"We do not yet have a full explanation for the 'Asian paradox,' which refers to the very low incidence of both heart disease and cancer in Asia, even though consumption of cigarettes is greater than in most other countries," said Bauer Sumpio, M.D., professor and Chief of Vascular Surgery in the Department of Surgery. "But we now have some theories."

Sumpio, the lead author of the review in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, said he and his colleagues reviewed more than 100 experimental and clinical studies about green tea in writing the article.

He said one theory is that the average 1.2 liters of green tea consumed daily by many people in Asia offers the anti-oxidant protective effects of the polyphenolic EGCG. EGCG may prevent LDL oxidation, which has been shown to play a key role in the pathophysiology of arteriosclerosis. EGCG also reduces the amount of platelet aggregation, regulates lipids, and promotes proliferation and migration of smooth muscle cells, which are all factors in reducing cardiovascular disease, he said.

Sumpio said other reports show that EGCG prevents growth of certain tumors. Tea, according to studies, also can improve gastrointestinal function, alcohol metabolism, kidney, liver and pancreatic function, protect skin and eyes and alleviate arthritis. Tea has been used in managing and preventing allergies, diabetes, bacterial and viral infections, cavities, reduce or cure diseases with an inflammatory component and improve neurologic and psychological health.

"More studies are necessary to fully elucidate and better understand green tea's method of action, particularly at the cellular level," Sumpio said. "The evidence is strong that green tea consumption is a useful dietary habit to lower the risk for, as well as treat, a number of chronic diseases. Certainly, however, smoking cessation is the best way to prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer."

#2 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

I swear by green tea. 5-10 cups per day for 3+ years and the only 3x I have had a cold since were the 3x I stopped drinking it, those were all vacations. I've gotten my whole family hooked on it, my wife's family hooked. None of them get sick now. Ever. 3 of them are teachers with snot-dripping children sneazing all over them and they used to get sick 1/2 dozen times per year. Coincidence? Ask me if I care. I take it on vacations now b/c I'm paranoid I'll get sick if I stop.

I buy about $95 worth at a time (free shipping) of Alvita's Tangerine flavor from HerbsMD because I really don't like the taste of most green teas. I tried a lot from all over the world looking for one I could stomach. Yuck to most. The Orange and Tangerine Alvitas are actually pretty good.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:07 AM

Thanks. Just in time for the matcha I ordered. Slurrp!

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:55 AM

2-3 cups of green tea is roughly 200mg EGCg

#5 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:06 AM

Wheres the best place to get large amounts, inexpensive, and good quality?

#6 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:25 AM

I would like to hear more about the skin protection. I get sunburned very easily.

#7 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

You could try GliSODin for protection against sunburn:

MORRISTOWN, N.J., Mar 31, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- PL Thomas (PLT) today announced the results of a new study using its exclusive dietary supplement ingredient, GliSODin®, demonstrating significant protection against the deleterious effects of the sun. Conducted by French dermatologists over a 60-day period, 150 volunteers participated in this open trial designed to gauge the effect of GliSODin for individuals susceptible to flushing and burns, sun allergy, and other reactions such as pruritus, solar eczema and rashes.

In the study, 86% of the participants experienced significant protection. The report concludes, "GliSODin usage prepares the skin for exposure to the sun and undeniably improves the condition of both the patient's skin and general condition."

The sun gives out energy over a broad spectrum of wavelengths. Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which has a shorter wavelength than either visible blue or violet light, is a cause of oxidative stress, and is responsible for skin irritation, sunburn and other adverse health effects.

GliSODin, a nutraceutical product that promotes the production of the body's own antioxidants, including super oxide dismutase (SOD), has been shown in several human studies to promote cellular health and protect against damage caused by oxidative stress.

Catherine Laverdet, M.D., previously conducted a pilot study on sun exposure with 15 volunteers. Completed in September 2003, GliSODin demonstrated protection against skin irritation, sunburn and sun allergy. These findings led Dr. Laverdet and a team of 40 French dermatologists to evaluate the effects of GliSODin and sun exposure in 150 patients (130 women and 20 men).

The patients were given 500mg of GliSODin a day 15 days prior to and during sun exposure. The patients sunbathed as usual and continued to use their regular sun screen (Index 20 to 100).

Enrolled patients were split into three different groups and evaluated after 60 days.

-- Group 1: 75 patients who suffer flushes as soon as sun exposure begins or following more or less serious sunburns. In this group, 85% of the patients (64) had no sunburn, 8% (6) had diminished episodes and 6% (5) experienced sunburn.

-- Group 2: 60 patients who experience sun allergic reactions. In this group, 73% of the patients (44) did not experience allergic reaction, 10% (6) had a reduced reaction and 16% (10) experienced an allergic reaction.

-- Group 3: 15 patients with other reactions such as pruritus (severe skin itching), solar eczema and rashes. In this group, 100% of the patients were free from negative reactions.

The participants also completed a questionnaire and reported the following:

-- 110 patients believed that their skin was well prepared for exposure to the sun

-- 76 patients reported that they tanned more with less exposure to the sun

-- 62 patients felt that taking GliSODin speeds up the tanning process

The patients were asked to report any quality-of-life issues that they associated with GliSODin usage. Eighty-eight patients declared their quality of life to have been improved, citing among other benefits increased vitality, improved quality of sleep and alertness, and reduced muscular pain.

#8 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:39 AM

I do think green tea is overhyped, and it seemed that guy talked about correlative relationship between populations (which MR calls large scale anecdotes) and mechanistic logic. However, I want to see well designed prospective epidemiologies or RCTs, and in that sense I think green tea fares less well

http://www.fda.gov/b...5/NEW01197.html

The FDA also concluded that existing evidence does not support qualified health claims for green tea consumption and a reduced risk of any other type of cancer.

This one is especially good as it discusses specific studies and the their respective evidence weight, recommended for everyone wanting to learn more how to weigh a given scientific study
http://www.cfsan.fda...s/qhcgtea2.html

Based on FDA's consideration of the scientific evidence and other information submitted with your petition, and other pertinent scientific evidence and information, FDA concludes that there is no credible evidence to support qualified health claims for green tea or green tea extract and a reduction of a number of risk factors associated with CVD.

No (delutional) ramblings about the corrupted FDA and pharma mafia please, such unbacked anecdetos are boring and besides, the FDA *has given a nod* for some dietary substance in terms CVD such as oats or nuts.

Still, I do think the safety profile is fairly good with green tea (except for the potential liver problems with extracts) and it has potential to help with various ailments, and anyway people just like to drink tea no matter what health benefits are involved. But let's just say I would not expect too much at this point, so keep eating your veggies, get your moderate exercise, avoid stress and excess alcohol.

#9 narbotic

• 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

I still don't understand why green gets all the press. I was under the impression white tea had higher ECGC content and less caffeine.
Is this just a matter of availability/cost?

#10 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

But let's just say I would not expect too much at this point, so keep eating your veggies, get your moderate exercise, avoid stress and excess alcohol.

Oh almost forgot, remember to facilitate outreach and donate to MPrize [thumb]

#11 nihilist

• 113 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

I still don't understand why green gets all the press.  I was under the impression white tea had higher ECGC content and less caffeine. 

it hasnt reached the penetration green tea has yet, in science or otherwise.

#12 glexia

• 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (narbotic)
I still don't understand why green gets all the press.  I was under the impression white tea had higher ECGC content and less caffeine. 

(nihilist)

it hasnt reached the penetration green tea has yet, in science or otherwise

Yes, i´m with nihilist
Many people don´t know that white tea is actually a green tea, in fact, many of my friends haven´t heard speaking about it. Let's hope that in a little time there will be more studies in which both varieties are compared in order that the differences are noticed
I take white tea " Pai mu tan " (one or two cups a day) and tea "Rooibos" before going to bed, because it doesn´t have caffeine and it also has many antioxidants.

#13 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:10 PM

The link to eastern health makes very good news. It hits the new agers right in their open wallets. If you talk about some dry and boring western controlled study, they will only read the title, and accept it as fact. Or sometimes they will say, "I dont think doctors know what they are doing", I'll take the way of the ancients.

Go to pub med instead of these articles. Decide for yourself there.

I dont mind the extra chlorophyll, myself. I also wouldnt be surprised if high quality matcha had more ECGC than steeped white tea leaves.

#14 narbotic

• 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

oh man, sweet ginger matcha from whole foods is incredibly tasty.
but 7 bucks for 2oz ?!?!? [:o]

cnorwood- any leads on good matcha prices?

#15 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

2-3 cups of green tea is roughly 200mg EGCg

That much? So one 400mg 50% egcg capsule is equal to 2-3 cups. I though caps were comparable to at least 5-8 cups...

#16 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

Is green tea the next miracle drug?

Is green tea the next miracle drug?
By MARA GORDON

WASHINGTON, June 8 (UPI) -- Can a cup of green tea really keep the doctor away?

From promises of preventing cancer to relieving stress, green tea seems to be the hottest cure-all on the grocery store shelves.

And while most researchers say green tea should not be considered a miracle solution for any ailment you can think of, a growing body of research points to some very real health benefits.

Green tea contains chemicals that experts say may help combat cancer and cardiovascular diseases. While there are no comprehensive studies proving a tangible health improvement simply from consuming tea, most doctors say the antioxidants and flavonoids present in tea are known for their health benefits. Drinking a few cups a day, they say, certainly can't hurt.

"The help might be manifested maybe over years and years," Edward Geltman, a cardiologist at Washington University's School of Medicine, told United Press International. "It's not going to replace" treatment.

One recent article published in the May issue of the Journal of the American College of Surgeons compiles data from more than 100 studies that look at the health benefits of green tea, including the potentially cancer-fighting antioxidants and heart-healthy flavonoids that naturally occur in the beverage.

"Part of my confidence in this is based on the fact that (the makeup of green tea) really fits in with a number of other nutrients that are being used and have been associated with health benefits," Bauer Sumpio, Yale University cardiologist and the study's lead author, told United Press International.

Sumpio and colleagues from Yale call their findings the "Asian paradox" -- people living in countries throughout Asia smoke cigarettes heavily but have significantly lower occurrences of cardiovascular problems than their American counterparts.

The cause, the researchers say, may be the "liters" of green tea people throughout the continent drink every day.

"I was really impressed by the fact that when you go (to Asia) you see people drinking green tea all the time," Sumpio said. "They always have this thing of green tea and they just keep pouring hot water into and they drink it all day long."

But drinking such a significant amount of caffeinated tea may be dangerous for patients with existing cardiovascular problems. Geltman said he tells his patients with serious heart problems to stop consuming caffeine entirely. Decaffeinated tea, however, loses the antioxidants that many say make the beverage so healthy.

"Even though the caffeine level (in green tea) is 40 percent of that of coffee, that translates to a significant amount of caffeine" if patients are drinking at least a liter each day, Geltman said.

The U.S. Food Drug Administration is not so sure about the health benefits of tea, however.

In May, the FDA prevented one tea company from putting labels on their packages espousing the cardiovascular benefits of drinking their product.

"FDA concludes there is no credible evidence to support qualified health claims for green tea or green tea extract and a reduction of a number of risk factors associated with" cardiovascular disease, wrote Barbara Schneeman, the director of the FDA's Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements. Her letter denied a petition from Ito En (North America) requesting to be allowed to label its tea packages with the beverage's purported cardiovascular benefits.

Representatives from the tea industry, however, insist that they are not selling their product based on any clinically proven benefits. Tea is only a naturally healthy drink, not a drug.

"There is a growing body of evidence that suggests it might be a very healthy addition to your diet," said Joe Simrany, president of the Tea Association of America. But "if consumers don't like the taste of tea, regardless of how good it is for you, they're not going to drink it."

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:36 PM

I take a cap of extract every day rather than drink it because I don't care for tea. The study that supposedly showed bad side effects of green tea extracts was not specific on amounts used nor was there a cause and effect relationship between extract use and any disease. Megadoses of green tea may not be good for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users