* * * * * 5 votes

"500 club" 500mg of trans-resveratrol per day

• Please log in to reply
1708 replies to this topic

#721 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

Concerning the design of the Sinclair study, the decision not to include the "normal mice with resveratrol diet":

Maybe they were worried about generating a negative result.  The mice on the high fat diet were an easier target, where they were more likely to see a positive outcome. 

I understand that in our reality it is important to be directive regarding research results, especially due to the way the media are picking up the extreme parts only magnifying it even more. Furthermore, stakeholders that have an economic interest in a successful outcome, must be kept aside to assure a long-term participation in the project..... But my naive question is if this behaviour in this particular study is doing the cause of individual consumers any good?

A negative outcome with mice on a normal diet may have been irrelevant, since mice are not people, but it would have greatly clouded the issue.  Even a neutral outcome would have clouded the issue.

What is "the issue" according to you?

#722 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

Someone here was using a Cardiochek cholesterol meter, but I can't seem to find the post now. Anyway, I went out and bought one, read through the entire manual. I came across a warning in the manual for the cholesterol strips that said reducing agents, like vitamin c, can produce an artificially low result. I think all of us here are taking a decent amount of ascorbic acid, no? I'm returning the meter today. Didn't use it. I'll probably rely on the LEF tests.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#723 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:08 AM

I've just joined this topic, this forum, and this site (as you can see) and in fact just discovered this topic last night when I searched the web for "resveratrol dosage". It was just what I was looking for, so I read all 39 pages of discussion last night. (So I guess I can report increased mental stamina. Just kidding; that's not unheard of for me.)

I've been taking about 1.5mg/kg and was thinking of increasing it if I saw objective evidence of any kind of improvement in my annual blood work (or if human trials reported reported positive results). Then I started getting impatient and thinking that if I'm not yet taking enough to make a difference in my next blood test, another year is a long time to wait for feedback on an increased dose. So I was hoping to find some anecdotal reports of individual improvement from people who have already had their blood tested before and after -- the most solid evidence I can hope for until a scientific study reports its results. It looks like I've come to the right place. I admire the level-headed, scientifically grounded discussion here, and how the wishful thinking is tempered by caution and scholarship.

Of course, even objective blood tests are no substitute for a scientific study, even an uncontrolled Phase I study. For one thing, this is a self-selected group that pays a lot of attention to their health and is always trying other supplements as well as diet and exercise improvements. For another, there may be a built-in bias toward reporting positive results and not negative ones. (A scientific study may choose not to publish anything, but won't withhold data selectively.) What if 500mg causes, say, paralysis of the fingers so you can no longer type? Memory problems so that you forget your password? A fantastic sex life so that you no longer spend so much time in online discussions? We'd never hear from those people again! For example, what ever happened to makoss (see page 1 of this topic)? (Or, more realistically, people who get no results may lose interest in the topic faster than people who get dramatic improvements.)

I'm grateful to those who were willing to post their results so far. I plan to post mine when I get them.

I'm a 47-year-old male, 180cm, 80kg. My last blood test was in August 2006, and I started taking resveratrol in December 2006. Various brands, mostly NSI and Longevinex. I've recently increased my dosage modestly: For the past several weeks I've been alternating between one NSI (probably 50 to 90 mg depending on how you interpret the label) and one Longevinex (100mg) in the morning, and then later in the day I take one or more of the old Longvinex formulations I bought a four-month supply of in January (15mg I think), because no one seems to know how it's metabolized and whether the half life is 15 minutes or 9 hours. I never took anything labeled as resveratrol before December, but for three years before I took grape seed and skin powder.

At this moderate dosage, and especially on days when I took more, I might possibly have experienced some of the positive subjective effects that various people have mentioned here, but I thought they might be placebo effects, since I wouldn't expect gene regulation have immediate effects or mitochondria to grow that fast. [Firefox 2.0 thinks mitochondria don't exist by the way, and suggests "hypochondriac".] No effect on weight-lifting strength. Possibly increased stamina, not sure. My blood pressure has been all over the place, systolic ranging from 118 to 139 within an hour even when I've been sitting down, and I haven't noticed any change. My VO2 max, as measured by an automated treadmill at the gym, has always been absurdly high, like in the 50's (averages 90th percentile -- if I were a teenager) since I started measuring it in 2004, and I think it's been a little higher recently, ranging from 56 to 71. But then, I've always walked or biked for transportation.

I don't know if there's any point in posting just my pre-resveratrol numbers from August 2006, but: Cholesterol = 126, Triglyceride = 130, HDL = 44, LDL calculated = 56, Glucose fasting = 86. (Cholesterol dropped from 158 in 2002 to 115 in 2004. The main difference was a temporary shift in diet due to a different location -- I attribute a lot of it to daily fruit smoothies including blueberries and/or bottled açai juice. I've been a vegetarian for 23 years and my diet has gradually become more healthful.)

Want to hear something really anecdotal? Not just one person, but one whisker out of hundreds. I dye my beard, because parts of it have been slowly going gray since I about 40. I don't dye it often, and you might expect the whiskers to have gray roots. I saw something really odd one day after trimming it: one whisker was light brown on one end, dark brown on the other, and gray in the middle! A fluke of the dye flow? I haven't seen any other signs of melanocyte stem cells on individual whiskers kicking in, and I've looked. But that alone tempts me to increase my dosage and see what happens, because it's such an obvious and easily checkable marker. Of the few silver threads in my hair, I haven't been able to find any with brown roots. Anyone else catch one in the act of turning back? Or does it not work that way? Maybe a strand of hair doesn't change color in mid-strand, only when it falls out and the follicle starts a new anagen cycle.

Edited by unglued, 07 May 2007 - 02:45 AM.

#724 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:50 AM

Someone here was using a Cardiochek cholesterol meter, but I can't seem to find the post now. Anyway, I went out and bought one, read through the entire manual. I came across a warning in the manual for the cholesterol strips that said reducing agents, like vitamin c, can produce an artificially low result. I think all of us here are taking a decent amount of ascorbic acid, no? I'm returning the meter today. Didn't use it. I'll probably rely on the LEF tests.

That was me, and I do not take large vitamin C doses. Even so, taking a blood sample before breakfast should make the supplementation moot. But I agree, the meter leaves much to be desired.

#725 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:26 AM

I've just joined this topic, this forum, and this site (as you can see) and in fact just discovered this topic last night when I searched the web for "resveratrol dosage".  It was just what I was looking for, so I read all 39 pages of discussion last night.  (So I guess I can report increased mental stamina.  Just kidding; that's not unheard of for me.)

I've been taking about 1.5mg/kg and was thinking of increasing it if I saw objective evidence of any kind of improvement in my annual blood work (or if human trials reported reported positive results).  Then I started getting impatient and thinking that if I'm not yet taking enough to make a difference in my next blood test, another year is a long time to wait for feedback on an increased dose.  So I was hoping to find some anecdotal reports of individual improvement from people who have already had their blood tested before and after -- the most solid evidence I can hope for until a scientific study reports its results.  It looks like I've come to the right place.  I admire the level-headed, scientifically grounded discussion here, and how the wishful thinking is tempered by caution and scholarship.

Of course, even objective blood tests are no substitute for a scientific study, even an uncontrolled Phase I study.  For one thing, this is a self-selected group that pays a lot of attention to their health and is always trying other supplements as well as diet and exercise improvements.  For another, there may be a built-in bias toward reporting positive results and not negative ones.  (A scientific study may choose not to publish anything, but won't withhold data selectively.)  What if 500mg causes, say, paralysis of the fingers so you can no longer type?  Memory problems so that you forget your password?  A fantastic sex life so that you no longer spend so much time in online discussions?  We'd never hear from those people again!  For example, what ever happened to makoss (see page 1 of this topic)?  (Or, more realistically, people who get no results may lose interest in the topic faster than people who get dramatic improvements.)

I'm grateful to those who were willing to post their results so far.  I plan to post mine when I get them.

I'm a 47-year-old male, 180cm, 80kg.  My last blood test was in August 2006, and I started taking resveratrol in December 2006.  Various brands, mostly NSI and Longevinex.  I've recently increased my dosage modestly:  For the past several weeks I've been alternating between one NSI (probably 50 to 90 mg depending on how you interpret the label) and one Longevinex (100mg) in the morning, and then later in the day I take one or more of the old Longvinex formulations I bought a four-month supply of in January (15mg I think), because no one seems to know how it's metabolized and whether the half life is 15 minutes or 9 hours.  I never took anything labeled as resveratrol before December, but for three years before I took grape seed and skin powder.

At this moderate dosage, and especially on days when I took more, I might possibly have experienced some of the positive subjective effects that various people have mentioned here, but I thought they might be placebo effects, since I wouldn't expect gene regulation have immediate effects or mitochondria to grow that fast.  [Firefox 2.0 thinks mitochondria don't exist by the way, and suggests "hypochondriac".]  No effect on weight-lifting strength.  Possibly increased stamina, not sure.  My blood pressure has been all over the place, systolic ranging from 118 to 139 within an hour even when I've been sitting down, and I haven't noticed any change.  My VO2 max, as measured by an automated treadmill at the gym, has always been absurdly high, like in the 50's (averages 90th percentile -- if I were a teenager) since I started measuring it in 2004, and I think it's been a little higher recently, ranging from 56 to 71.  But then, I've always walked or biked for transportation.

I don't know if there's any point in posting just my pre-resveratrol numbers from August 2006, but:  Cholesterol = 126, Triglyceride = 130, HDL = 44, LDL calculated = 56, Glucose fasting = 86.  (Cholesterol dropped from 158 in 2002 to 115 in 2004.  The main difference was a temporary shift in diet due to a different location -- I attribute a lot of it to daily fruit smoothies including blueberries and/or bottled açai juice.  I've been a vegetarian for 23 years and my diet has gradually become more healthful.)

Want to hear something really anecdotal?  Not just one person, but one whisker out of hundreds.  I dye my beard, because parts of it have been slowly going gray since I about 40.  I don't dye it often, and you might expect the whiskers to have gray roots.  I saw something really odd one day after trimming it:  one whisker was light brown on one end, dark brown on the other, and gray in the middle!  A fluke of the dye flow?  I haven't seen any other signs of melanocyte stem cells on individual whiskers kicking in, and I've looked.  But that alone tempts me to increase my dosage and see what happens, because it's such an obvious and easily checkable marker.  Of the few silver threads in my hair, I haven't been able to find any with brown roots.  Anyone else catch one in the act of turning back?  Or does it not work that way?  Maybe a strand of hair doesn't change color in mid-strand, only when it falls out and the follicle starts a new anagen cycle.

I'm 52 and my hair grows like a weed.
I have a nine inch long ponytail.
The mix is mostly grey on top with black hair in the back.
I noticed that the grey hairs on top look like they are turning a little bit more black.
Been on RSV for 3.5 years.
Also, I take 100 microgm/day Selenium, plus under 1,000 mg/day RSV.
Not sure if the Resveratrol is turning my hair darker.
I read in the PDR there is anecdotal evidence that Selenium turns grey hair darker.
But, I take the selenium at bed along with 600 mg NAC to increase my immunity system.
The combination is supposed to be synergistic.

http://www.pdrhealth.../sel_0232.shtml

Do you take selenium? Maybe that is why your hair is changing back.

Alex

#726 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

I've just joined this topic, this forum, and this site (as you can see) and in fact just discovered this topic last night when I searched the web for "resveratrol dosage".  It was just what I was looking for, so I read all 39 pages of discussion last night.  (So I guess I can report increased mental stamina.  Just kidding; that's not unheard of for me.)

Thanks for sharing your experiences and welcome!

#727 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

I noticed that the grey hairs on top look like they are turning a little bit more black.

Interesting! Are the individual strands of hair partly gray and partly black, or is it just that the gray hairs are shorter than the black ones?

Also, I take 100 microgm/day Selenium, ...
I read in the PDR there is anecdotal evidence that Selenium turns grey hair darker.

I notice that it also says, with more confidence, that if you take too much selenium, it can cause hair loss.

I've been taking selenium, usually 100 mcg, for four years (without knowing about the possible anti-graying effect) and it hasn't reversed the graying process, although for all I know it has slowed it down.

I'm not convinced that the color is changing back now, but I was startled to see evidence that it might be, since I'd thought nothing currently available would do that. I'm probably reading too much into one whisker and the fact that I noticed it four months into using resveratrol and one month after increasing my dosage to 100mg. The possibility that I might see an objective and easily observed sign of improvement is one reason why I'm considering upping the dosage, maybe even to 5mg/kg (400mg).

Another reason is to get a more definite answer from my cholesterol test. Anyone have any guesses as to how quickly resveratrol might lower LDL or raise HDL? Is six months too soon to expect results? Could increasing my dose for the last few weeks before the test make a difference? Any theories, or personal data?

#728 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

..... Anyone have any guesses as to how quickly resveratrol might lower LDL or raise HDL?  Is six months too soon to expect results?  Could increasing my dose for the last few weeks before the test make a difference?  Any theories, or personal data?

It may depend on dose. My experience: I ramped up from 200 mg/day to 1.8 gram from January trhough March 15, then dropped back to 1.2 (average) g/day, divided dose, morning and noon. I was taking semi-weekly cholesterol and HDL readings with a Cardiocheck meter. Ai March my total cholesterol began to decline slowly. By the end of April it had dropped dramatically. I started at 215 to 220. Now it's 160. My HDL increased by 30% from January to March, when I ran out of HDL test strips.

Caveat: I find the Cardiocheck meter to be temperamental, and the test strips expensive. I don't really recommend it.

#729 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info, Maxwatt. I'm glad someone invested in a CardioCheck meter and got some quick data. I don't plan to, although it would be tempting to get feedback more than once a year. Congratulations on getting to a healthy cholesterol range.

Do I understand correctly that you were taking readings twice a week starting in January and didn't see much change, and then by March you started to see a decline, at about the same time you finished ramping up to 1800mg and dropped to 1200mg?

Your HDL results, which I see you also reported on March 12 "after nine weeks of resveratrol use, starting at 400 mg, increasing every other week to 1.8 g/day", are very encouraging. And Addison Strack reported HDL increasing from 37 to 45 in less than six months of resveratrol after nothing else had worked for two years. So maybe I'll see an HDL increase, but so far I'm still at a much lower dose.

#730 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info, Maxwatt.  I'm glad someone invested in a CardioCheck meter and got some quick data.  I don't plan to, although it would be tempting to get feedback more than once a year.  Congratulations on getting to a healthy cholesterol range.

Do I understand correctly that you were taking readings twice a week starting in January and didn't see much change, and then by March you started to see a decline, at about the same time you finished ramping up to 1800mg and dropped to 1200mg?

yes, but I only took readings at most weekly., or every other week.

Your HDL results, which I see you also reported on March 12 "after nine weeks of resveratrol use, starting at 400 mg, increasing every other week to 1.8 g/day", are very encouraging.  And Addison Strack reported  HDL increasing from 37 to 45 in less than six months of resveratrol after nothing else had worked for two years.  So maybe I'll see an HDL increase, but so far I'm still at a much lower dose.

It may just take longer at a lower dose. Or you may need a dose that exceeds a certain threshold. But no one really knows what that threshold might be; David Sinclair purportedly takes about 320 mg (5 mg/kg, he is a light-weight) a day, and he knows more about it than perhaps anyone else.

#731 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info, Maxwatt.  I'm glad someone invested in a CardioCheck meter and got some quick data.  I don't plan to, although it would be tempting to get feedback more than once a year.  Congratulations on getting to a healthy cholesterol range.

yes, but I only took readings at most weekly., or every other week.

Your HDL results, which I see you also reported on March 12 "after nine weeks of resveratrol use, starting at 400 mg, increasing every other week to 1.8 g/day", are very encouraging.  And Addison Strack reported  HDL increasing from 37 to 45 in less than six months of resveratrol after nothing else had worked for two years.  So maybe I'll see an HDL increase, but so far I'm still at a much lower dose.

It may just take longer at a lower dose. Or you may need a dose that exceeds a certain threshold. But no one really knows what that threshold might be; David Sinclair purportedly takes about 320 mg (5 mg/kg, he is a light-weight) a day, and he knows more about it than perhaps anyone else.

Sinclair was quoted as having taken that does some time ago, no? By now, I imagine he has more data now, data to make a better decision for himself May not even be taking Longevinex anymore either. I do have to think that he based his own regimen on his actual blood t-res levels, and wasn't winging it like many of us here are doing. Before one sinks time and money into a new pursuit, (Sirtris,) I have to think they had a pretty good idea that they could get some decent blood levels of t-res, and that they had some initial evidence in their informal human data, (his parents, everyone in his lab, etc,) that would indicate some efficacy.

#732 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:13 AM

I'm really glad folks are posting their pre- and post- results, and I'm very encouraged by the HDL increases I've seen reported. But I have to say that the forum infrastructure is not very well suited for collecting results. Even to find the two reports I linked to in my previous message took while, searching through 39 pages of posts. I also found another dramatic result at a lower dose posted in another topic here.

Maybe someone could collect standardized results in a spreadsheet? I think Jack L. volunteered in a post a couple of months ago. Or the Yahoo! group someone mentioned could use Yahoo!'s "database" infrastructure to construct one big table. Or someone could set up a 10-question survey using SurveyMonkey.com's free service. It could ask age, sex, dosage, pre- and post- blood panel measures and blood pressure, and some subjective results that have been mentioned here, turning the common elements of the essays into multiple choice.

By the way, just by way of comparison, I once saw a drop of 37% in my total cholesterol (158 to 115) and 32% rise in HDL (34 to 45) from my test in 2002 to the next test in 2004. My best guess is that it wasn't supplements, but diet changes for six months before the 2004 test. It may have been regular consumption of cereal, daily consumption of strawberry+blueberry smoothies, more regular consumption of flax seeds, or frequent açai juice consumption. I've been drinking more pomegranate and açai juice this year, so even if I see another dramatic improvement I won't be totally sure it's due to the resveratrol. I couldn't keep other factors constant for a year even if I wanted to, and I'm not sure I want to pay for extra tests out of my pocket. Still, Maxwatt's HDL improvement of 30% in nine weeks is more dramatic than mine in two years.

#733 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

I'm really glad folks are posting their pre- and post- results, and I'm very encouraged by the HDL increases I've seen reported.  But I have to say that the forum infrastructure is not very well suited for collecting results.  Even to find the two reports I linked to in my previous message took  while, searching through 39 pages of posts.  I also found another dramatic result at a lower dose  posted in another topic here.

Thanks for that link.

By the way, just by way of comparison, I once saw a drop of 37% in my total cholesterol (158 to 115) and 32% rise in HDL (34 to 45) from my test in 2002 to the next test in 2004.  My best guess is that it wasn't supplements, but diet changes for six months before the 2004 test.  It may have been regular consumption of cereal, daily consumption of strawberry+blueberry smoothies, more regular consumption of flax seeds, or frequent açai juice consumption. .....

It could be that your Doctor changed labs. [wis]

#734 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

Interesting! Are the individual strands of hair partly gray and partly black, or is it just that the gray hairs are shorter than the black ones?

The hairs on the outside are a mix of grey and black, and the hairs inside are still solid black.
After looking very closely at my hair, maybe I have stopped turning grey.
But is it due to the Selenium and not the RSV?

Also, I take 100 microgm/day Selenium, ...

I notice that it also says, with more confidence, that if you take too much selenium, it can cause hair loss.

I've been taking selenium, usually 100 mcg, for four years (without knowing about the possible anti-graying effect) and it hasn't reversed the graying process, although for all I know it has slowed it down.

I'm not convinced that the color is changing back now, but I was startled to see evidence that it might be, since I'd thought nothing currently available would do that. I'm probably reading too much into one whisker and the fact that I noticed it four months into using resveratrol and one month after increasing my dosage to 100mg. The possibility that I might see an objective and easily observed sign of improvement is one reason why I'm considering upping the dosage, maybe even to 5mg/kg (400mg).

Another reason is to get a more definite answer from my cholesterol test. Anyone have any guesses as to how quickly resveratrol might lower LDL or raise HDL? Is six months too soon to expect results? Could increasing my dose for the last few weeks before the test make a difference? Any theories, or personal data?

I made a good guess, we are both taking Selenium.
I am taking RSV for a little over 3.5 years.
After my Cholesterol dropped years ago, I hope my MD will write me a script for lipid tests.
He may not be justified to test with my lower BP.

I'm having fun with the edit console,

Alex

#735 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

Because of the reports here of HDL increases (i.e. improvements), I just searched scholar.google.com for "resveratrol HDL". I found a paper from 2005 (Z. Wang et al: Effects of red wine and wine polyphenol resveratrol on platelet aggregation in vivo and in vitro -- PDF here) that concluded that 3mg/kg/day in rabbits protected the arteries from a high-cholesterol diet, without affecting LDL or HDL. Same with red wine, with or without alcohol, but the pure resveratrol worked best.

The one side effect they noticed in the rabbits was "signs of increased playfulness and social interaction". Not surprising for the rabbits fed red wine, maybe, but it also happened to the alcohol-free and pure-resveratrol groups.

#736 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

Because of the reports here of HDL increases (i.e. improvements), I just searched scholar.google.com for "resveratrol HDL".  I found a paper from 2005 (Z. Wang et al: Effects of red wine and wine polyphenol resveratrol on platelet aggregation in vivo and in vitro  -- PDF here) that concluded that 3mg/kg/day in rabbits protected the arteries from a high-cholesterol diet, without affecting LDL or HDL.  Same with red wine, with or without alcohol, but the pure resveratrol worked best.

The one side effect they noticed in the rabbits was "signs of increased playfulness and social interaction".  Not surprising for the rabbits fed red wine, maybe, but it also happened to the alcohol-free and pure-resveratrol groups.

By any chance, are you conducting an anecdotal study without informing us?
Do you work for Sirtris?

Alex

#737 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

Do you work for Sirtris?

No, just trying to figure out whether I should increase my dosage to 5mg/kg/day.
Anecdotal reports are all any of us have until the studies in progress publish.

Why do you ask? I'm certainly not the first on this topic to express interest in others' blood work or to share a reference to a paper I've found.

#738 tom a

• 121 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thanks unglued, that was a very useful paper.

One of the things that this guy Michael Rae went on and on about in his criticism of resveratrol use was that in the mice studies of resv the mice did not show improvements in cholesterol levels. This paper shows that the rabbits on resv likewise did not improve cholesterol levels, but nonetheless showed dramatic improvements in the health of their arteries when directly examined.

I do wonder if that may not explain my own case. My cholesterol is still relatively high (don't have the numbers offhand), but my blood pressure was relatively low the last time it was measured, which was after several months of resv use (200-500mg/day). In the past, my blood pressure was always pretty high, and my family has a history of high blood pressure and CVD.

#739 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

Do you work for Sirtris?

No, just trying to figure out whether I should increase my dosage to 5mg/kg/day.
Anecdotal reports are all any of us have until the studies in progress publish.

Why do you ask? I'm certainly not the first on this topic to express interest in others' blood work or to share a reference to a paper I've found.

Why'd I ask, because you showed up out of nowhere with years of RSV dosing.

Welcome to the club!

One effect I noticed and this is purley myself and not anyone else is that on RSV is my weight is slowly declining while I eat a diet that has changed from mostly meat to mostly fruit and veggies.
I weigh 192 and take almost a gram/day RSV

Thank you for the rabbit study.
The slides of their aortas make for good evidence of RSV and longevity since CHF is the number one killer.

Alex

#740 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Alex, you must have misread my first post (May 6, just above). I said "I started taking resveratrol in December 2006." I did report my last few blood results, all pre-reservatrol, going back a few years, as a baseline.

My next opportunity to get a blood test under my medical plan seems to be in August, but reading this topic has intrigued me, and also informed me of the possibility of paying for a test myself via directlabs.com, so I'm considering getting one this month, increasing my dosage to 5mg/kg/day, and retesting in August.

#741 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:08 AM

Alex, you must have misread my first post (May 6, just above).  I said "I started taking resveratrol in December 2006."  I did report my last few blood results, all pre-reservatrol, going back a few years, as a baseline.

My next opportunity to get a blood test under my medical plan seems to be in August, but reading this topic has intrigued me, and also informed me of the possibility of paying for a test myself via directlabs.com, so I'm considering getting one this month, increasing my dosage to 5mg/kg/day, and retesting in August.

Hi Unglued,

I could ask my fam doctor if he has the old copies of my lab tests results before and during RSV.

Something that I can confirm with another from a different RSV users group.
My Liver test numbers came up so impressive years ago that I upped my dose.
This other person has a bad heart and his liver test results just came in well too.
So, I can substantiate that RSV does help ones liver metabolism.

Here is his post:

http://health.groups...ers/message/390

(dudescholar is a worthy read if you are searching for anecdotal evidence)

Alex

#742 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

Anyone have suggestions on suppliers for say 80% or higher very low emodin products. I don't really need anything 96,-99% pure, just something with confirmed low emodin and maybe 80% t-res.

I have a lot of 50% product (maybe shouldn't have bought so much) but if I augment it with a higher purity I will be able to reduce my emodin and still use up my 50% product.

My dosage right now is 800mg. 400 twice a day. Any higher and I have emodin issues. Even at this dose there are days when suddenly emodin give me a problem.

I am sure I can dredge through posts and dig online and find what I need but if anyone has any suggestions it would save me time. So, any cheap (but reliable) suppliers with confirmed low emodin and at least 80% t-res?

#743 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hear Hear!

#744 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

You've seen Anthony Loera's price comparison chart, no?

And, there's Changsha's 98%+ and 99%+ extracts for about $0.80/gram, a testing group for which is being organized here.

Edited by tintinet, 13 May 2007 - 02:16 AM.

#745 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

I'll likely have abundant synthetic, high purity (99%+) t-resv. in a bit, but it ain't cheap!

#746 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:29 AM

I'm not worried about ingesting the extra plant matter in the 50% extracts its only the emodin after a certain point that is ahem unpleasant.

Emodin is water soluble and T-Res is insoluble in water so to remove Emodin it would be a simple matter of using hot water and gravity filtration to remove it and the resulting powder (in a gooey form) would have a greatly reduced Emodin content. You would then have to dry the powder at some high temperature and voila a 50+% T-Res powder with very little emodin.

Some supplement maker should do this (Anthony, maybe this is a project for you). I would but home chemistry has never been my thing.

#747 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:55 AM

What multivitamin are you high dose (500+mgdaily) resveratrol supplement users using ?

I know there's a journal saying resveratrol chelates copper, even the Longevinex president advises against large doses of resveratrol.

Copper is an essential mineral needed in trace amounts.

#748 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:10 AM

What journal article is that? When I search scholar.google.com for those three words, the top match says

Resveratrol ... has been reported to inhibit copper-mediated low-density lipoprotein (LDL) oxidation.  ... [T]ransresveratrol, which is by far the most potent chelator of copper, does not chelate iron. It might contribute to the protective effects of wine polyphenols by removing copper from LDL particles and arterial tissue and, thereby, delaying the consumption of flavonoids and endogenous antioxidants.

which makes it sound like a good thing.

Personally, I'm still at only half the dosage needed to join this club, and I take More Than a Multiple, which provides half the RDA for copper, or it would if I took the full three-pill serving. Maybe the high-dose folks should get their copper checked along with the other blood work.

#749 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

OK, I was able to get my HMO to test my cholesterol ahead of schedule, after 6 months of moderate-dose resveratrol (ramping up from about 15-90mg to about 100-200mg -- I weigh 80kg). I promise to post the results here this week, whatever they are.

An hour after the blood draw, I took 200mg of resveratrol, half my new dose, because as I said, I want to join the club for a few months and get retested in three or four months.

If I don't post my results this week, you'll know one of my original speculations was correct, and let's hope it was the sudden-improvement-to-sex-life theory and not the fingers-falling-off theory. Rabbits are a good model for me dietarily speaking but not socially speaking.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#750 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:44 PM

What multivitamin are you high dose (500+mgdaily) resveratrol supplement users using ?

I know there's a journal saying resveratrol chelates copper, even the Longevinex president advises against large doses of resveratrol.

Copper is an essential mineral needed in trace amounts.

Aspirin chelates copper, very efficiently. High dose copper for arthritis, the standard treatment before other NSAIDs were available, has never been shown to result in a copper deficiency. Too much copper is more likely to be a problem, than too little.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users