Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

"500 club" 500mg of trans-resveratrol per day

• Please log in to reply
1708 replies to this topic

#781 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

Sablistoe observed a change in blood pressure 135/92 -> 117/77 (very good). Pulse pressure 43 -> 40 (marginal).
I hoped it would improve my pulse pressure which is in the lower 50's. But it didn't. Instead, as in maxwatt's case, it had a dramatic effect on lipids.
Observation:
It seems that resveratrol has different effects on different people. If we believe the experts, it acts at the genetic level. Mice in the experiments were probably quite genetically uniform. On the other hand, we Imminist rats are much less uniform (different allels?).Then it's not that surprising we are affected in different ways.
Bad news for Sinclair: your human trials are going to be much more complicated than the mice experiments.

#782 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

Inawe, there are lot of uncontrolled factors in our reports compared to a controlled scientific study. You're right that one of them is that we're not as uniform genetically as lab rodents, as well as being different ages. But also, we're all on different doses, different brands, taken different times of day with or without food, living in different cages, and I'll bet not one of us on a strict diet of Purina human chow. With such a small sample size (8 reports), it's not surprising if no two people had the same results. Actually, I personally find it encouraging that there's as much consistency as there is, although maybe people are more likely to report positive results.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#783 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

I think this should stand as a post on it's own, as it may become lost later as more folks continue to post here, what do you think?

I don't know how to make a post be "on its own" in this system, unless you mean starting a new topic for it. I do know how to make big red letters, though, so at least if you know it's there, it's easy to find again.

I'm hoping that more reports will come in over the next several months -- Alex (bixbyte) was planning one in June and you yourself said something about getting tested after exactly one year on resveratrol and then asking your wife if you could post it. As more results come in, either I or someone else could post an updated list of links.

If I feel really ambitious, I'll summarize the results in a table -- although, what's the use of getting extra years added to my life (if it even works) only to spend them all on this? :)

#784 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:38 AM

I think this should stand as a post on it's own, as it may become lost later as more folks continue to post here, what do you think?

I don't know how to make a post be "on its own" in this system, unless you mean starting a new topic for it. I do know how to make big red letters, though, so at least if you know it's there, it's easy to find again.

I'm hoping that more reports will come in over the next several months -- Alex (bixbyte) was planning one in June and you yourself said something about getting tested after exactly one year on resveratrol and then asking your wife if you could post it. As more results come in, either I or someone else could post an updated list of links.

If I feel really ambitious, I'll summarize the results in a table -- although, what's the use of getting extra years added to my life (if it even works) only to spend them all on this? :)

unglued,,

If my doctor lets me have free lipid tests or I will have to pay out of pocket.

Alex

#785 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

How many here dissolve your t-res in wine? I tried taking mine recently with a tiny bit (2oz or so) and I seemed to increase the effects (energy, mood boost, appetite suppression). Anyone else tried this?

p.s. When I started this thread, I never imagined it would get 800+ replies (and 32,000+ views)!

#786 tedsez

• 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

I find that the greatest mood boost comes from dissolving it in 14 oz. of wine. :)

#787 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

How many here dissolve your t-res in wine?  I tried taking mine recently with a tiny bit (2oz or so) and I seemed to increase the effects (energy, mood boost, appetite suppression).  Anyone else tried this?

p.s. When I started this thread, I never imagined it would get 800+ replies (and 32,000+ views)!

I do this as I mentioned in a previous post in a different thread. I don't notice any difference in the way I feel. The res seems to dissolve better in wine than in water though.

#788 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

It seems to be a good idea to use some sort of solvent/dispersal medium for optimum t-res absorption. Various oils with lecithin seem to work for me though I haven't tried the red wine thing as I don't really drink alcohol much.

I always take my t-res on an empty stomach or as close to it as possible. I've tried taking it with and without my full array of morning and midday supplements with mixed results.

I am wondering if others are taking their resveratrol along with say their multi vitamin, other supplements (unrelated t-res absorption) and whether or not this is improving or reducing t-res absorption (sadly as only can be measured by subjective effects). Basically there is so much stuff I take (and I don't want to spend all my time taking and spacing out supplements) I wonder if its necessary to take resveratrol by itself with some synergists or should I just throw in my multi, green tea, various herbs and supplements etc. all in with it.

Edited by edward, 23 May 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#789 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Well, I got my two liters of polysorbate80 from researchsupply. Came in a plastic jug that looks a bit like a shampoo bottle. Anyway, I poured a tiny bit into a glass, then mixed in slightly more water. Then I cracked open 6 AOR 100 mg acta-resveratrol caps into the glass. When finished, I swished the mixture around until all the powder appeared to dissolve. Then, bottoms up!

Nasty tasting, burned my throat and mouth a bit. I suspect that was from the piper nigrum in the AOR formulation. I thought I had gulped down the lot of it, but then a big mass slid out of the glass, kind of like a gel. Slid down my throat. I felt a little queasy. Yuck. That was ten minutes ago.

Gotta be a better way...

#790 tom a

• 121 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

Slid down my throat. I felt a little queasy. Yuck.

Kinda reminds me of that joke about CR, that it only makes life SEEM longer.

#791 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

New dosing regiment for me now. Tried it this morning, was pretty easy. I warmed a few ounces of water in the microwave, then added a small bit of polysorbate80 to this warm water. Dissolved easily. Then I used this solution to wash down my capsules of t-res. Hopefully the warm water will melt the caps quickly and the P80 solution will assist in the absorption of the t-res.

I did read somewhere that P80 may inhibit intestinal cyp, so maybe that's part of the reason the P80 worked in increasing absorption in the mice. That's the best I can hope for, because I am not going to attempt to dissolve the t-res in the P80 solution. Just too disgusting. And besides, Proto' has observed that the t-res doesn't dissolve well to begin with.

#792 theone

• Life Member
  • 167 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

A bit off topic, but still interesting.

"Holstein Pharmaceutical has produced a TransDermal Patch that will issue the dosage necessary to gain the full benefit of resveratrol. Its daily dose of resveratrol is equal to 444 glasses of wine per day."
http://newsroom.ewor...se.php?id=17070

#793 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:46 PM

"Holstein Pharmaceutical has produced a TransDermal Patch that will issue the dosage necessary to gain the full benefit of resveratrol. Its daily dose of resveratrol is equal to 444 glasses of wine per day."

Pretty funny, cheesy looking website, actually (Holstein Pharma). I was actually expecting them to sell cows or dairy products from the name.

If its for real, its a 30 day supply of patches that supply 100mgs of 98% resveratrol (trans content?) each for $25. So 3 grams for $25 plus shipping.

Anthony, is this worth adding to your spreadsheet?

#794 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

This is the same guy who started the 'resveratrol is killing your liver' thread a week or so ago.

Pretty funny, cheesy looking website, actually (Holstein Pharma). I was actually expecting them to sell cows or dairy products from the name.

If its for real, its a 30 day supply of patches that supply 100mgs of 98% resveratrol (trans content?) each for $25. So 3 grams for $25 plus shipping.

#795 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:42 AM

Please don't.

#796 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:28 AM

Does everyone take their Resveratrol (along with synergists, quercetin, oil, wine, lecithin, polysorbate and what have you) separately from all other supplements (multi vitamin etcetera) on an empty stomach?

#797 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:19 AM

Please don't.

no problem...

#798 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:56 AM

Dr. Lenny Guarente says you need 1-2 grams a day of Resveratrol for CR memetic effects (from NYT interview)

How close are we to such a drug being available?

GUARENTE: Ten, maybe 15 years. I think the drugs that aim at sirtuins, for example, will be tested initially for a particular disease, say, diabetes. And it will turn out that the drugs have broader benefits than one initially imagined.

What about resveratrol? There has been a lot of publicity about this substance that's found in red wine. Does it do the same thing as calorie restriction?

GUARENTE: It's a natural product, made by plants, and recently one of my former postdoctoral students, David Sinclair, found that resveratrol can regulate the activity of SIRT1.

Do you take resveratrol?

GUARENTE: No, partly because neutraceuticals are not regulated by the F.D.A. If I was sure of the quality control, I would consider it, but I'm still not certain I would do it, because you may have to take a lot - one or two grams a day.

In the video that goes with the article he says he personally knows of people taking such doses and that you would need to take "one or two large pills". Maybe he's wrong on that count or Anthony is selling R1000 pills on the side.

http://www.nytimes.c...cb03ac0&ei=5070

No NYT? Try this: http://www.resveratrolnews.com/

#799 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:29 AM

[lol] LOL [lol]

I would need ten patches every day to equal my current dose!
That is really funny, imagining myself covered in ten 2" X 2" patches of RSV.

http://www.redwinepa...duct_Detail.htm

A three day supply would cost $25

Alex

#800 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

The idea with the patches would be that a much smaller dose could be equivalent to a large oral dose by bypassing conjugation processes in the gut and first pass liver metabolism. One might expect something like 10-20 fold less to be necessary.

The problem as I see it is delivery rate (presuming the patch even delivers any reasonable fraction of the 100mg it contains). Patches deliver their dosages slowly, over the course of many hours. Consequently, you'd probably never reach serum levels high enough to get appreciable Sirt1 activation since your liver would be taking it out as fast as you were putting it in.

Now a patch that could deliver a 100 mg an hour, all day..... Maybe if I retrofit an insulin pump.[tung]

#801 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

The idea with the patches would be that a much smaller dose could be equivalent to a large oral dose by bypassing conjugation processes in the gut and first pass liver metabolism. One might expect something like 10-20 fold less to be necessary.

The problem as I see it is delivery rate (presuming the patch even delivers any reasonable fraction of the 100mg it contains). Patches deliver their dosages slowly, over the course of many hours. Consequently, you'd probably never reach serum levels high enough to get appreciable Sirt1 activation since your liver would be taking it out as fast as you were putting it in.

Now a patch that could deliver a 100 mg an hour, all day.....  Maybe if I retrofit an insulin pump.[tung]

IV me to a RSV drip [lol]

Alex

#802 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:59 AM

Those of you using AOR's resveratrol formulation: Do you notice any difference with the AOR's formulation with the same dosage of t-res? I'm assuming you took a similar dosage of t-res prior to taking AOR's resveratrol.

#803 bugmenot.com

• 31 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

I just called Country Life and they stated that the emodin content of their 100mg trans-resveratrol capsules was 2%, which sounds pretty good.

I'm wondering about the mitochondrial aspects of resveratrol. Apparently, it stimulates production of new mitochondria and this may reduce the production of free radicals because the new mitochondria are more efficient than the old ones and hence don't produce as many free radicals.

Questions from that are:
- What happens to the old mitochondria? If they're still around, aren't they still producing free radicals?
- What happens after 10 or 20 years when the new mitochondria are now old. Is it possible that resveratrol will produce a situation where later we'll end up with way more free radicals and a shortened lifespan?

Anyone with good info/answers about these points, please speak up.

#804 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

I just ran a half marathon after having what can only be described as a poor training program leading up to the race. In the month before the race, I had run 6 miles twice and 3 miles maybe three times.

I had been taking 300 mg daily of transresveratrol for about 6 months prior to the race. Starting a week before the race, I upped the dose to 800 mg daily in divided doses.

One thing that I noticed is that I never felt out of breath. My breathing was nice and steady. I was running alongside someone who had done 14 weeks of preparation, running 5 times a week, and she was huffing as we talked.

What resveratrol didn't seem to do was to help on the muscle toning side of the equation. I had not built up the leg strength required to run that distance comfortably. I finished (2:15 -- a bit over 10 minutes per mile -- not very fast), but my muscles were feeling it about 8 miles into the race.

I did take taurine too after reading some of the reports here on how it helps reduce oxidative damage due to heavy exercise. If anyone has any suggestions for supplements for heavy aerobic exercise, feel free to post them.

Stephen

#805 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

I just called Country Life and they stated that the emodin content of their 100mg trans-resveratrol capsules was 2%, which sounds pretty good.

That's 2% of the capsule, which is a size "0" capsule I believe. The resveratrol is a 50% extract, so there are 200 mg of resveratrol in the cap. So the extract is 2/5 of the capsule, the emodin is 2% of five fifths of the capsule; around 10 grams of emodin. So their resveratrol extract consists of about 6% emodin. Not bad, but more than two capsules at a time will give some people diarrhea, and 5 capsules will give everyone the runs.

I'm wondering about the mitochondrial aspects of resveratrol. Apparently, it stimulates production of new mitochondria and this may reduce the production of free radicals because the new mitochondria are more efficient than the old ones and hence don't produce as many free radicals.

Questions from that are:
- What happens to the old mitochondria? If they're still around, aren't they still producing free radicals?
- What happens after 10 or 20 years when the new mitochondria are now old. Is it possible that resveratrol will produce a situation where later we'll end up with way more free radicals and a shortened lifespan?

Anyone with good info/answers about these points, please speak up.

I assumed from the Auwerx study that the existing mitochondria became healthier and grew larger. Thee is some turnover in your mitochondria at all times, anyway. Resveratrol is known to activate the mitochondrial SIRT 3, 4 and 5 genes, which increases their longevity, I would expect. Though resveratrol apparently improves mitochondrial efficiency, i.e. reduces the production of free radicals, it does not restore the cardiolipin membrane potential to youthful level; the mitochondria can do less work than a young person's mitochondria. Acetyl-l-carnitine is known to restore the membrane potential (or so Ames claims in his papers.) The price for the restored energy potential is increased ROS production. Ames proposes quenching this production with lipoic acid or PBN or n-tert-bytyl hydroxylamine, or possibly all of these.

#806 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

10 mgs of emodin, no?

#807 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

10 mgs of emodin, no?

:) 10g would kill a calf

#808 bugmenot.com

• 31 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

I called Doctor's Best and they claim "under 1%" emodin in their formulation.

#809 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:59 AM

Emodin has some beneficial effects. It causes apooptosis:

Jpn J Cancer Res. 2002 Aug;93(8):874-82
Jing X, Ueki N, Cheng J, Imanishi H, Hada T.
Division of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663-8501, Japan.

Previous experiments have shown that emodin is highly active in suppressing the proliferation of several tumor cell lines. However, it is not clear that emodin can induce growth inhibition of hepatoma cells. We have found that emodin induces apoptotic responses in the human hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines (HCC) Mahlavu, PLC/PRF/5 and HepG2. The addition of emodin to these three cell lines led to inhibition of growth in a time- and dose-dependent manner. Emodin generated reactive oxygen species (ROS) in these cells which brought about a reduction of the intracellular mitochondrial transmembrane potential (DeltaPsim), followed by the activation of caspase-9 and caspase-3, leading to DNA fragmentation and apoptosis. Our findings demonstrate that ROS and the resulting oxidative stress play a pivotal role in apoptosis. Preincubation of hepatoma cell lines with the hydrogen peroxide-scavenging enzyme, catalase (CAT) and cyclosporin A (CsA), partially inhibited apoptosis. These results demonstrate that enhancement of generation of ROS, DeltaPsim disruption and caspase activation may be involved in the apoptotic pathway induced by emodin.

PMID: 12716464 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#810 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

I have now been on a dose of 450mg (5.6 mg/kg) per day for 30 days, after being on a lower dose for six months. My last cholesterol test, in mid-May, was just before increasing my dose (and I posted those results).

I'm pretty sure I've experienced some of the subjective effects that others have described -- increased stamina and decreased appetite -- and my blood pressure, pulse rate, and weight have decreased.

I've tried to keep my diet and other supplements the same. One confounding factor is that I spent the third week in a city with lower air pressure (1500m elevation -- and I live at 10m elevation). I may have adapted to that, and I don't know if two weeks is enough to lose an adaptation acquired in one week. Interestingly, I had no trouble doing moderate aerobic exercise almost all day, every day, when I was there.

I didn't measure my blood pressure while traveling, but ever since returning it's been under 120/80 more often than not, and doesn't seem to vary as much. It's like 117/66 plus or minus 5 most of the time when I measure it after sitting down for awhile -- at least 10 lower than its previous range -- and I've seen it as low as about 96/50 while lying in bed right after waking up, which is also 10 or 20 less than I've ever seen. My pulse is now around 60 while sitting down, and I think I've seen it as low as 49 before getting up. When I take a VO2 Max treadmill test, my average pulse is consistently at least 10 lower than before (under 110 vs. about 120), although the maximum and the VO2 Max score seems to be similar or just a little better than it used to be -- range is about 56 to mid-60's. And I've lost 4.5kg, probably due to exercising a little more and eating less, taking advantage of the increased stamina and decreased appetite. (That's good; my BMI was 24.5, just barely still a healthy weight, and now it's 23.4. I once had my body fat measured, and that indicates that my ideal weight would be 73kg, so it's great that I've gone from 80kg down to 76kg.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users