* * * * * 5 votes

"500 club" 500mg of trans-resveratrol per day

• Please log in to reply
1708 replies to this topic

#841 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

"What's Important to [me] (a la Pearl Jam): I'm still alive!"

However, my health issue remains active. Have appt. with rheumatologist soon. So far, nothing diagnositic,
although the differential diagnosis might include Lyme disease, auto-immune/collagen-vascular disorder (although, so far,
serology negative ANA, RF. Just slightly low complement (C3).

Odd, somewhat SLE-like symptoms, although I'm not taking any meds that have been associated with drug-induced lupus, AFAICT.

Dunno if t-resv. really exacerbates it or not- the symptoms are quite variable and fluctuating. They've been fairly tolerable for
the past week, mostly (except for Monday- malaise, headache, etc.- quite dysfunctional).

In the meantime, on oral doxycline (Lyme disease therapy) and developed symptoms in jaw that turned out to be
dead tooth that got crowned last year....

The story continues and I'll keep y'all updated.

#842 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

I just got another blood draw for a cholesterol test, my first after increasing to 5mg/kg/day for six weeks (after six months on lower dosages with no significant change except that triglycerides dropped a lot). I expect to post the results here between July 6 and 12 [revised estimate].

Still hoping bixbyte and Anthony_Loera, among others, will also share new test results soon.

My blood pressure and weight have remained near the new lower values I reported June 14. (One correction, though: actually I think a better estimate for the weight loss is 6-7 pounds, or 3 kg, comparing weights taken at the same time of day. I've seen my weight this low and I've never seen my blood pressure this low, but then again, I've only had a home blood pressure device a few years.)

Click here for links to everyone's past blood results.

Edited by unglued, 05 July 2007 - 07:01 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#843 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:06 AM

"What's Important to [me] (a la Pearl Jam): I'm still alive!"

Wishing you good luck! ;)

#844 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Thanks! Better to be lucky than good!

#845 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

I've cut down on resveratrol, - was suspecting getting the "edgy effects" some people are describing from various higher doses; from Country Life, Doctor's Best, and Longevinex products (all 50% extracts). Does anyone know any details about AOR's extract?

#846 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

I've cut down on resveratrol, - was suspecting getting the "edgy effects" some people are describing from various higher doses; from Country Life, Doctor's Best, and Longevinex products (all 50% extracts). Does anyone know any details about AOR's extract?

cut back from what dosage to what dosage?

#847 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

cut back from what dosage to what dosage?

Try one of the purer 98% + extracts from Revgenetics or Megaresveratrol. No "edgy" side effects.

#848 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

According to calculations, based upon the label of AOR's product, the t-resveratrol in their capsules ought to be 100% pure, whatever that means!

#849 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

BTW, where the $%#@ is that ConsumerLabs.com review??????

#850 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:25 AM

NOW Foods wrote me a few days ago and told me that they're coming out with a High Potency Resveratrol supplement in Sept. 2007!

I'm hoping since they said high potency they shoot for 500mg. I told them about the emodin issue at high doese and to make a 98% knotweed product.

#851 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:33 AM

ok, lets see...

Folks that have 98% caps are:

NOW Foods ...in September
Relentless ...Last part of July
RevGenetics... has had them since June
BioFlu... has them now starting july 4...

This is starting to look good for everyone.

Anthony Loera

#852 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

OK, AOR's a 98+ extract also. Was taking 5-600mg, - now I stay at 100mg, until I get some 98+.

#853 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

Surprisingly, my cholesterol levels tested worse last week they they did six weeks before, after six weeks of an increased resveratrol dose (400-450mg, just under 6mg/kg/day). They also worse than the last four measurements. (These are from LabCorp, and all the previous ones are from my HMO's lab.) My LDL has never been high before. My diet and exercise have not particularly changed, at least not for the worse (unless eating several deviled eggs at one picnic has an effect four days later) and I fasted for over 12 hours.

Cholesterol: 169 mg/dL, up from 123 mg/dL
(was 126 in 2006, 135 in 2005, 115 in 2004, 158 in 2002)

LDL (calc): 121 mg/dL, up from 65 mg/dL
(was 56 in 2006, 73 in 2005, 50 in 2004, 74 in 2002)

HDL: 31 mg/dL, down from 44 mg/dL
(was 44 in 2006, 42 in 2005, 45 in 2004, 34 in 2002)

Triglycerides: 86 mg/dL, up from 72 mg/dL
(was 130 in 2006, 102 in 2005, 98 in 2004, 248 in 2002)

Anyone else have results to post?

#854 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

unglued, thanks for posting the info.

How are you taking your resveratrol? All at once or in divided doses, etc?

#855 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

Is anyone aware yet of this interesting study?

Phase I dose escalation pharmacokinetic study in healthy volunteers of resveratrol, a potential cancer chemopreventive agent.Boocock DJ, Faust GE, Patel KR, Schinas AM, Brown VA, Ducharme MP, Booth TD, Crowell JA, Perloff M, Gescher AJ, Steward WP, Brenner DE.
Cancer Biomakers and Prevention Group, Department of Cancer Studies and Molecular Medicine, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester University, Leicester LE2 7LX, United Kingdom.

The red grape constituent resveratrol possesses cancer chemopreventive properties in rodents. The hypothesis was tested that, in healthy humans, p.o. administration of resveratrol is safe and results in measurable plasma levels of resveratrol. A phase I study of oral resveratrol (single doses of 0.5, 1, 2.5, or 5 g) was conducted in 10 healthy volunteers per dose level. Resveratrol and its metabolites were identified in plasma and urine by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and quantitated by high-performance liquid chromatography-UV. Consumption of resveratrol did not cause serious adverse events. Resveratrol and six metabolites were recovered from plasma and urine. Peak plasma levels of resveratrol at the highest dose were 539 +/- 384 ng/mL (2.4 micromol/L, mean +/- SD; n = 10), which occurred 1.5 h post-dose. Peak levels of two monoglucuronides and resveratrol-3-sulfate were 3- to 8-fold higher. The area under the plasma concentration curve (AUC) values for resveratrol-3-sulfate and resveratrol monoglucuronides were up to 23 times greater than those of resveratrol. Urinary excretion of resveratrol and its metabolites was rapid, with 77% of all urinary agent-derived species excreted within 4 h after the lowest dose. Cancer chemopreventive effects of resveratrol in cells in vitro require levels of at least 5 micromol/L. The results presented here intimate that consumption of high-dose resveratrol might be insufficient to elicit systemic levels commensurate with cancer chemopreventive efficacy. However, the high systemic levels of resveratrol conjugate metabolites suggest that their cancer chemopreventive properties warrant investigation.

PMID: 17548692 [PubMed - in process]

#856 oaklandj

• 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

I'm new to ImmInst & new to heavy doses of t-res.

I'd been taking 1-2 capsules of Solaray's and Pure Encapsulation's products for about a year, since I heard of resveratrol in early 2006.

About a week ago, I started RevGenetics' R500, but only one capsule a day, in the morning, with breakfast, and with quercetin. [500 mg trans-resveratrol] I haven't upped the dose because the cost is pretty high as it is, I was worried about the emodin effect, and I also side with the argument that you should concentrate the day's sosage into a single dose, giving it the best chance to do all the necessary gene-switching before it's metabolized and removed from the bloodstream.

A pity I didn't get my bloodwork done beforehand, but I had it done about a year ago and everything was more or less in order. I'm 34, 6'2" and 230 lbs, and in fairly good health (strenuous exercise 2-3x/week, vegetarian for 14 years, etc.)

So far I haven't noticed anything different, but maybe my dosage is still low. RG suggests 1 capsule per 50 lbs body weight, which suggests I could stand to take another 3 capsules.

Based on unglued's results, however, it might be better to keep at my current dosage and see.

#857 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

Yep.

Phase I dose escalation pharmacokinetic study in healthy volunteers of resveratrol, a potential cancer chemopreventive agent.Boocock DJ, Faust GE, Patel KR, Schinas AM, Brown VA, Ducharme MP, Booth TD, Crowell JA, Perloff M, Gescher AJ, Steward WP, Brenner DE.
Cancer Biomakers and Prevention Group, Department of Cancer Studies and Molecular Medicine, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester University, Leicester LE2 7LX, United Kingdom.

The red grape constituent resveratrol possesses cancer chemopreventive properties in rodents. The hypothesis was tested that, in healthy humans, p.o. administration of resveratrol is safe and results in measurable plasma levels of resveratrol. A phase I study of oral resveratrol (single doses of 0.5, 1, 2.5, or 5 g) was conducted in 10 healthy volunteers per dose level. Resveratrol and its metabolites were identified in plasma and urine by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and quantitated by high-performance liquid chromatography-UV. Consumption of resveratrol did not cause serious adverse events. Resveratrol and six metabolites were recovered from plasma and urine. Peak plasma levels of resveratrol at the highest dose were 539 +/- 384 ng/mL (2.4 micromol/L, mean +/- SD; n = 10), which occurred 1.5 h post-dose. Peak levels of two monoglucuronides and resveratrol-3-sulfate were 3- to 8-fold higher. The area under the plasma concentration curve (AUC) values for resveratrol-3-sulfate and resveratrol monoglucuronides were up to 23 times greater than those of resveratrol. Urinary excretion of resveratrol and its metabolites was rapid, with 77% of all urinary agent-derived species excreted within 4 h after the lowest dose. Cancer chemopreventive effects of resveratrol in cells in vitro require levels of at least 5 micromol/L. The results presented here intimate that consumption of high-dose resveratrol might be insufficient to elicit systemic levels commensurate with cancer chemopreventive efficacy. However, the high systemic levels of resveratrol conjugate metabolites suggest that their cancer chemopreventive properties warrant investigation.

PMID: 17548692 [PubMed - in process]

#858 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

How are you taking your resveratrol?  All at once or in divided doses, etc?

Starting in late May until my recent blood draw:

100 mg Longevinex capsule on waking, shortly before eating. 350 mg RevGenerics capsule (R350) with other supplements and breakfast. Except for a week of travel in May, when I took 4 x 100 mg Longevinex capsules with food.

#859 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

Phase I dose escalation pharmacokinetic study in healthy volunteers of resveratrol, a potential cancer chemopreventive agent. Boocock DJ, ...

No, but I've been glued to the page about that very study
http://www.cancer.go.../CCUM-2004-0535
waiting for final results to be published. It only showed the preliminary results presented in 2006, and still does. I heard it here first. Thanks for telling us.

My summary of the abstract you quoted: (1) As we'd already heard, the pure resveratrol molecule doesn't last long in the human bloodstream, but is metabolized into molecular products that do last awhile and may or may not be beneficial. (2) There's now evidence that it's safe for healthy people to take large doses: 40 people took 500 mg or more, including 10 people who took 5000 mg, and there were no "serious" side effects.

Or, wait -- does "single dose" really mean "single dose" or "single daily dose"? If it was one dose, that doesn't seem very relevant, and I wonder why it took more than a year.

In the years until a Phase II study is completed, I'm inclined to keep taking it, and maybe raise my dose further, especially if I see encouraging signs. My blood pressure and weight seem to be fairly stable so far at their new lower levels, but my stamina and appetite seem normal again. My blood test wasn't encouraging, but we'll see what the next one says.

#860 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hungry for Blood results?

Reposted and updated.

As a convenience, I've gone back and spotted all the reports I could find of pre- vs. post-resveratrol (any dose) blood tests or blood pressure measurements, and here are the links of all of them to date:

* fearfrost
* maxwatt
* sablystone
* Addison Strack
* applepoly
* unglued
* inawe
* velopismo (other topic)

(Did I miss any?)

Hope others find this useful. I still say Survey Monkey or a table of some kind would be a more practical way of collecting them than a forum. I will update this again after others have posted more results.

#861 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

I wasn't aware of the fact that the study is still ongoing.

Or, wait -- does "single dose" really mean "single dose" or "single daily dose"?  If it was one dose, that doesn't seem very relevant, and I wonder why it took more than a year.

In the years until a Phase II study is completed, I'm inclined to keep taking it, and maybe raise my dose further, especially if I see encouraging signs.  My blood pressure and weight seem to be fairly stable so far at their new lower levels, but my stamina and appetite seem normal again.  My blood test wasn't encouraging, but we'll see what the next one says.

From the cancer.gov page:

Beginning 5 days before study drug administration, participants are put on a controlled diet (avoiding all resveratrol-containing food or drink) for washout. Participants receive oral resveratrol once on day 1.

Cohorts of 10 participants receive escalating doses of resveratrol until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 10 participants experience dose-limiting toxicity. A total of 16 participants are treated at the MTD.

Participants are followed at 2 and 7 days.

#862 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Update: WRT my peripheral neuropathy/arthralgias/malaise, etc. symptoms and t-resveratrol (see my prior posts)- no connection identified.

After work-ups by primary care doc and subsequent rheumatologist (still ongoing), my symptoms finally appear to be definitively on the wane ('bout goddam time, too!)

Anyway, I've begun ramping back up on t-resveratrol (mostly Orchid synthetic 99%+ purity) to about 3 grams/day. At the same time, my symptoms (peripheral extremity Raynaud's like changes, arthralgias, migratory polyneuropathic changes, headache, muscle ache, malaise, etc. - not fun!) have been ebbing.

TYGITIAG! ;)

#863 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Great news tintinet!

#864 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

I agree, great news! Glad to hear you are feeling better......

Update: WRT my peripheral neuropathy/arthralgias/malaise, etc. symptoms and t-resveratrol (see my prior posts)- no connection identified.

After work-ups by primary care doc and subsequent rheumatologist (still ongoing), my symptoms finally appear to be definitively on the wane ('bout goddam time, too!)

Anyway, I've begun ramping back up on t-resveratrol (mostly Orchid synthetic 99%+ purity) to about 3 grams/day.  At the same time, my symptoms (peripheral extremity Raynaud's like changes, arthralgias, migratory polyneuropathic changes, headache, muscle ache, malaise, etc. - not fun!) have been ebbing.

TYGITIAG! ;)

#865 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

Thanks, guys!

Lyme titre negative, so I guess I can drop the doxcycline...

#866 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

it really boggles my mind why someone would be taking such massive[3g+] doses of resv...

i mean honestly, it seems extremely personally irresponsible

#867 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

it really boggles my mind why someone would be taking such massive[3g+] doses of resv...

i mean honestly, it seems extremely personally irresponsible

I think I would trust Tintinet to handle his health issues.
I'm taking like a gram a day. So I'm only 1/3 irresponsible.

#868 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Unglued, your results surprised me a bit but something tickled the back of my brain about the original Sinclair paper in Nature. I went and looked it up and here is the link to the table of various blood markers in the mice, mice on a high calorie (HC) diet and mice on high calorie+resveratrol :

http://www.nature.co...re05354_T1.html

As you can see, at least in the high-calorie mice and HC+resveratrol, their cholesterol did(!) go up, even more in the HC+res. group, w/ a p<0.05 significance. (I'm not saying you are on a high calorie diet but the effects could be the same on a moderate diet). Triglycerides and free fatty acids also went up in the HC+resv. group. Overall, the important thing is that survival went up, n'est ces pas?

Frankly, I'm not sure normal blood biomarkers are what we all should be watching and posting. Anyone else's thoughts??

-Malbec

Surprisingly, my cholesterol levels tested worse last week they they did six weeks before, after six weeks of an increased resveratrol dose (400-450mg, just under 6mg/kg/day).  They also worse than the last four measurements.  (These are from LabCorp, and all the previous ones are from my HMO's lab.)  My LDL has never been high before.  My diet and exercise have not particularly changed, at least not for the worse (unless eating several deviled eggs at one picnic has an effect four days later) and I fasted for over 12 hours.

LDL (calc):  121 mg/dL, up from 65 mg/dL

HDL:  31 mg/dL, down from 44 mg/dL

Triglycerides:  86 mg/dL, up from 72 mg/dL

#869 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

Irresponsible:
Function: adjective
: not responsible: as a : not answerable to higher authority <an irresponsible dictatorship> b : said or done with no sense of responsibility <irresponsible accusations> c : lacking a sense of responsibility d : unable especially mentally or financially to bear responsibility
======================================================

hmm... I think by the definition... Tintinet can handle his health as well. I'm not a fan of 'hope without action' or rather... 'hope without thoughtful action', specially in a situation that you see something bad coming...

kind of like when a hurricane is coming to Miami... you simply have got to take steps to prepare if it, even it turns and misses you completely at the last minute...

Anthony

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#870 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

Surprisingly, my cholesterol levels tested worse last week they they did six weeks before, after six weeks of an increased resveratrol dose (400-450mg, just under 6mg/kg/day).  They also worse than the last four measurements.  (These are from LabCorp, and all the previous ones are from my HMO's lab.)  My LDL has never been high before.  My diet and exercise have not particularly changed, at least not for the worse (unless eating several deviled eggs at one picnic has an effect four days later) and I fasted for over 12 hours.

LDL (calc):  121 mg/dL, up from 65 mg/dL

HDL:  31 mg/dL, down from 44 mg/dL

Triglycerides:  86 mg/dL, up from 72 mg/dL

It's very unusual for such a drastic change to happen in only 6 weeks. If I
were you I'll go to the doctor with the results and ask for a new test
at the HMO lab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users