Photo
- - - - -

cannabis

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 shaman

• 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:12 AM

are there any supplements that can offset the negative effects of pot smoking (once or twice a week) or minimize any damage short or long term effects, specifically regarding memory and anxiety?

#2 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:23 AM

A solid regiment of vitamins and minerals will help you along, but as far as specific supplements...essentials would be an adaptogen, I would recommend ashwagandha. Theanine for anxiety could help also.

I associate excessive marijuana use with poor/sedentary lifestyles (stoner food choices can be terrible), but if you're only smoking a couple times a week and eating right, getting exercise, supplementing, you're doing everything you can. IMO, you can help minimize the damage, but you can't eliminate it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

Cannibus does permanent damage that cannot, today anyway, be reversed. Smoking it is completely contrary to self-improvement. Try to migrate to some other habit that meets your needs, but is not destructive. For example, when I need to relax, I take some 5-HTP (the suggested dosage) and sleep for about 11 hours. Feels great after a long week. Or start playing video games, exercise, or something.

#4 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

What would that suggested dosage be? Most seem to be 100mg caps... is that too much? (real interested here :-) )

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

If you're going to smoke regardless, you might want to check out some posts on M&M regarding minimizing the damage. I do encourage you to take this info and research it all further for yourself.

http://www.mindandmu....php?act=Search

Keyword: marijuana
Poster: Gahan
Forum: Neuroscience

#6 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Actually, pot has some positive beneficial effects. It has been shown to reduce the risk of getting alzheimers disease. It has been used as a treatment for glaucoma, for multiple sclerosis and the side effects of chemo. The main drawback seems to be irritation to the lungs when smoked. It can be taken orally if prepared properly. People make these statements that pot hurts you based on years of government propaganda that turned out to be mostly untrue. Truth rarely catches up with the rumor.

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:11 PM

It can be taken orally if prepared properly.

Pot brownies.

Posted Image

#8 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

are those the 100% rda of everything per 100 cals brownies they talk about on the CR forums? ;-)

#9 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

if one is to engage in vices, make every attempt to turn them into a virtue.

I would suggest investing in a vaporiser which drastically reduces harmful carcinogens and is much easier on the lungs.

they can get expensive 500-700$ but they're worth it. [wis]

http://www.storz-bic...com/en_home.htm

http://www.vapezilla.com/

Actually, pot has some positive beneficial effects. It has been shown to reduce the risk of getting alzheimers disease. It has been used as a treatment for glaucoma, for multiple sclerosis and the side effects of chemo. The main drawback seems to be irritation to the lungs when smoked. It can be taken orally if prepared properly. People make these statements that pot hurts you based on years of government propaganda that turned out to be mostly untrue. Truth rarely catches up with the rumor.

good point Xanadu.

#10 wootwoot

• 112 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

Cannibus does permanent damage that cannot, today anyway, be reversed. 

Do you care to back that up with a research study?

#11 tothepoint

• 58 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:09 AM

^Please back it up, unless you are talking about just the act of smoking. The best vaporizer is a heatgun based vape with a ceramic heating core. The heating element in the volcano is actually made of aluminum, which I believe releases metal ions into the vapor over time.

Here's a heatgun model im taking about: vriptech.com But it's easy to make your own.

I think the worst part about pot is its tendency to make you just sit down and chill out all the time.

Anyone know what's a good remedy to counteract the "burnout" that you feel after a few hours?... especially if you smoke it during the afternoon. I think weed causes a melatonin release but i'm not too sure.

#12 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:27 AM

are there any supplements that can offset the negative effects of pot smoking (once or twice a week) or minimize any damage short or long term effects, specifically regarding memory and anxiety?

o A recent rat study shows how marijuana may ease Alzheimer's:

Click here to view article

o Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's - U.S. study:

o Enhancing Activity Of Marijuana-like Chemicals In Brain Helps Treat Parkinson's Symptoms In Mice

o Pot-smoking eases foot pain, HIV patients report

In addition to these recent publications, this peer review under process reports:

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Nov;188(4):425-44. Epub 2006 Sep 26. 

The acute effects of cannabinoids on memory in humans: a review.Ranganathan M, D'Souza DC.

Schizophrenia Biological Research Center, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West-Haven, CT 06516, USA.

RATIONALE: Cannabis is one of the most frequently used substances. Cannabis and its constituent cannabinoids are known to impair several aspects of cognitive function, with the most robust effects on short-term episodic and working memory in humans. A large body of the work in this area occurred in the 1970s before the discovery of cannabinoid receptors. Recent advances in the knowledge of cannabinoid receptors' function have rekindled interest in examining effects of exogenous cannabinoids on memory and in understanding the mechanism of these effects. OBJECTIVE: The literature about the acute effects of cannabinoids on memory tasks in humans is reviewed. The limitations of the human literature including issues of dose, route of administration, small sample sizes, sample selection, effects of other drug use, tolerance and dependence to cannabinoids, and the timing and sensitivity of psychological tests are discussed. Finally, the human literature is discussed against the backdrop of preclinical findings. RESULTS: Acute administration of Delta-9-THC transiently impairs immediate and delayed free recall of information presented after, but not before, drug administration in a dose- and delay-dependent manner. In particular, cannabinoids increase intrusion errors. These effects are more robust with the inhaled and intravenous route and correspond to peak drug levels. CONCLUSIONS: This profile of effects suggests that cannabinoids impair all stages of memory including encoding, consolidation, and retrieval. Several mechanisms, including effects on long-term potentiation and long-term depression and the inhibition of neurotransmitter (GABA, glutamate, acetyl choline, dopamine) release, have been implicated in the amnestic effects of cannabinoids. Future research in humans is necessary to characterize the neuroanatomical and neurochemical basis of the memory impairing effects of cannabinoids, to dissect out their effects on the various stages of memory and to bridge the expanding gap between the humans and preclinical literature.

PMID: 17019571 [PubMed - in process]

It seems marijuana may inhibit or otherwise modulate the release of certain neurotransmitters (GABA, glutamate, acetylcholine, dopamine).

It might therefore be reasonable for certain users of the drug to take some of these neurotransmitters (or their precursors) as a supplement (provided taking such neurotransmitters as a supplement(s) effectively crosses the blood brain barrier and in fact modulate the levels of neurotransmitters and are not completely destroyed in the human digestive process).

It's probably also important to note that if we're not sure which specific neurotransmitter(s) is/are inhibited, by exactly how much, and what degree of supplementation is required to repair the deficiency (if deficiency is indeed the case) it's pretty much brain gambling.

However, my amateur scientific speculations aside, the body of evidence to support the therapeutic uses of marijuana is growing too large for the medical profession to cast off as hype. That's probably part of the reason California passed a medical marijuana initiative in 1996.

Posted Image

This statement was adopted by the full Medical Board on May 7, 2004. For more information, please see our news release dated May 13, 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On November 5, 1996, the people of California passed Proposition 215. Through this Initiative Measure, Section 11362.5 was added to the Health & Safety Code, and is also known as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996. The purposes of the Act include, in part:

"(A) To ensure that seriously ill Californians have the right to obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes where the medical use is deemed appropriate and has been recommended by a physician who has determined that the person's health would benefit from the use of marijuana in the treatment of cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, arthritis, migraine, or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief; and

(B) To ensure that patients and their primary caregivers who obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes upon the recommendation of a physician are not subject to criminal prosecution or sanction."

Furthermore, Health & Safety Code section 11362.5© provides strong protection for physicians who choose to participate in the implementation of the Act. - "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no physician in this state shall be punished, or denied any right or privilege, for having recommended marijuana to a patient for medical purposes."

The Medical Board of California developed this statement since medical marijuana is an emerging treatment modality. The Medical Board wants to assure physicians who choose to recommend medical marijuana to their patients, as part of their regular practice of medicine, that they WILL NOT be subject to investigation or disciplinary action by the MBC if they arrive at the decision to make this recommendation in accordance with accepted standards of medical responsibility. The mere receipt of a complaint that the physician is recommending medical marijuana will not generate an investigation absent additional information indicating that the physician is not adhering to accepted medical standards.

These accepted standards are the same as any reasonable and prudent physician would follow when recommending or approving any other medication, and include the following:

History and good faith examination of the patient.

Development of a treatment plan with objectives.

Provision of informed consent including discussion of side effects.

Periodic review of the treatment's efficacy.

Consultation, as necessary.

Proper record keeping that supports the decision to recommend the use of medical marijuana.

In other words, if physicians use the same care in recommending medical marijuana to patients as they would recommending or approving any other medication, they have nothing to fear from the Medical Board.

Here are some important points to consider when recommending medical marijuana:

Although it could trigger federal action, making a recommendation in writing to the patient will not trigger action by the Medical Board of California.

A patient need not have failed on all standard medications, in order for a physician to recommend or approve the use of medical marijuana.

The physician should determine that medical marijuana use is not masking an acute or treatable progressive condition, or that such use will lead to a worsening of the patient's condition.

The Act names certain medical conditions for which medical marijuana may be useful, although physicians are not limited in their recommendations to those specific conditions. In all cases, the physician should base his/her determination on the results of clinical trials, if available, medical literature and reports, or on experience of that physician or other physicians, or on credible patient reports. In all cases, the physician must determine that the risk/benefit ratio of medical marijuana is as good, or better, than other medications that could be used for that individual patient.

A physician who is not the primary treating physician may still recommend medical marijuana for a patient's symptoms. However, it is incumbent upon that physician to consult with the patient's primary treating physician or obtain the appropriate patient records to confirm the patient's underlying diagnosis and prior treatment history.

The initial examination for the condition for which medical marijuana is being recommended must be in-person.

Recommendations should be limited to the time necessary to appropriately monitor the patient. Periodic reviews should occur and be documented at least annually or more frequently as warranted.

If a physician recommends or approves the use of medical marijuana for a minor, the parents or legal guardians must be fully informed of the risks and benefits of such use and must consent to that use.

Physicians may wish to refer to CMA's ON-CALL Document #1315 titled "The Compassionate Use Act of 1996", updated annually for additional information and guidance
(http://www.cmanet.or...FTOKEN=27566287).

Although the Compassionate Use Act allows the use of medical marijuana by a patient upon the recommendation or approval of a physician, California physicians should bear in mind that marijuana is listed in Schedule I of the federal Controlled Substances Act, which means that it has no accepted medical use under federal law. However, in Conant v. Walters (9th Cir.2002) F.3d 629 the United States Court of Appeals recognized that physicians have a constitutionally-protected right to discuss medical marijuana as a treatment option with their patients and make oral or written recommendation for medical marijuana. However, the court cautioned that physicians could exceed the scope of this constitutional protection if they conspire with, or aid and abet, their patients in obtaining medical marijuana.

#13 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:43 AM

Sure, without even trying...here is the first article that pops up on Google when you type in: "Effects of Marijuana". If you want more just type in "Marijuana Memory" and you will see many articles detailing cannibus's deleterious effects on memory.

To be honest though, I never actually read the stuff. I have seen empirical evidence. In high school, I knew some people who used marijuana and I saw what it did for them. I was not impressed.

What would that suggested dosage be? Most seem to be 100mg caps... is that too much? (real interested here :-) )

I use AOR 5-HTP at a dosage of 100 mg. The strongest stuff I have used is LEF Melatonin at a dosage of 1.5 grams and that stuff knocked me right out. I usually sleep straight through the night, but with that stuff I almost slept straight for 12 hours. The only downside is that I felt kinda groggy the next day, not quite 100%, but nothing like a hangover. I have only had a hangover maybe once in my life, I never enjoyed alcohol and I don't drink it anymore. 5-HTP is my only chemical enjoyment. That stuff while cuddled up in bed on a rainy night is great.

#14 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:55 AM

until it can be properly classified, the effects of cannabis as a plant remain largely unstudied.

there are hundreds of strains usually combining the two types of cannabis, the sativa and the indica variety.

one may be beneficial for MS pain while making another person feel more pain. I've actually experienced this myself with certain strains.

there are a couple of people in canada eh, wo are studying the cannabinoid profiles of cannabis to help those in dire need of its medicinal properties.

#15 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:22 AM

Sure, without even trying...here is the first article that pops up on Google when you type in: "Effects of Marijuana". If you want more just type in "Marijuana Memory" and you will see many articles detailing cannibus's deleterious effects on memory.

The effects on memory are temporary genius. In one month after abstaining from further use, I am now able to retain virtually anything I see, read, and hear without difficulty. I've been smoking since I was 12 (so 11 years) on and off. Now, with only a week of practice, I'm memorizing a deck of cards in under 3 minutes and have the ability to now memorize a 500 digit number in under a half hour. Granted, this is with the use of the Dominic System of mnemonics though. My second sentence is based off of mnemonic-free abilities though. If you "read", you will see that the "temporary" memory deficit is returned in most users after a period of 30 days of abstinence.

Granted I am on an extensive supp regimen, physical exercise regimen, and specialized diet right now. Also, I extensively partake in daily brain exercises which include working on my digit span (mnemonic-free) which by the way is at 12 both visually and auditorily as of right now.

People like you are detrimental to message boards with your knowledge that comes out of your ass.

P.S. Marijuana screws memory royally while on it, yet when off, memory returns nicely. I won't be going back to that shit anymore BTW. I think it is a horrible drug solely due to its temporary, negative effects exhibited against motivation, self-worth, learning, and memory. It is a shame that it took me this long to realize this though.

Edited by luv2increase, 05 March 2007 - 12:34 AM.

#16 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

Oh yeah, weed is terrible. Leads to disrespect of authority and hinders advancement in the corporate world. Makes you fat too.

#17 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:47 AM

P.S.  Marijuana screws memory royally while on it, yet when off, memory returns nicely.

That is a true statement.

Onetime I went on a date to the movies with a bag of pot brownies. I remember the lights going out, and the movie starting. The next thing I knew, the lights came back on, the brownies were all gone, and I didn't remember one thing about the movie. 35 years later I still remember that night.

#18 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

A related story, I guess:

Posted Image

A primer on selling pot legally in California

By Andrew Glazer

ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:55 a.m. March 10, 2007

LOS ANGELES – So you want to sell pot legally in California.

The first step is to become a “primary caregiver,” a status that insulates you and your patients suffering from “serious medical conditions” from prosecution for violating state laws against pot distribution.

As a primary caregiver, the law authorizes you to grow, transport and provide marijuana to patients.

You don't need any background in health care to hold this status. Nor do you need to register with the state. All it takes is an oral or written agreement between you and a patient designating you as their “primary caregiver.” And you must be older than 18.

So where do you get the pot? You can grow it yourself. But if you don't have the acreage, grow lamps or know-how, you're out of luck because the state has no system to provide marijuana and does not designate authorized pot wholesalers to sell the weed.

The result, federal authorities say, is clinic owners do the same thing as people jonesing for pot in states without medical marijuana laws: They buy it illegally from street dealers.

The state doesn't regulate what “primary caregivers” can charge for marijuana. And while clinics are prohibited from earning a profit there's no rule on how much a clinic owner can pocket. Some are pulling in millions of dollars each year, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

If you want to get in on the action, you might consider advertising. You could go the route of a San Fernando Valley clinic and have roller-skating employees pass out glossy fliers to shoppers at a nearby mall.

Or you could simply leave fliers on car windshields. Just be careful not to canvas cars parked near schools. When a Los Angeles-area clinic did that, Police Chief William Bratton called for a moratorium on all new clinics.

Another option is to offer a popular brand of pot. The Web site Weedtracker.com offers reviews of marijuana varieties sold at dispensaries across the state. A good review in the Zagat of the Zig-Zag set can bring a new wave of clients.

Though pot purchasers are supposed to be sick, clinics aren't required to check medical records. However, some are participating in a voluntary program where patients must show an ID to get marijuana. The card is proof patients got a recommendation from a physician.

One downside: The price of the cards may be a buzz kill. A surge in applications prompted one county – Riverside – to raise the cost from $100 to $22

Find this article at:
http://www.signonsan...na-clinics.html 

#19 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

It appears legal issues are causing the issue to heat up:

Reuters: News Source

Posted Image

Court says U.S. can ban medical marijuana

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:07PM GMT

By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A California woman with an inoperable brain tumour may not use marijuana to ease her pain even though California voters have approved medical marijuana, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

In a much-watched test case on medical marijuana, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found there is no fundamental right to use marijuana for medical purposes. The ruling agreed with a 2005 U.S. Supreme Court decision.

The split three-judge opinion written by Judge Harry Pregerson expressed sympathy for some arguments by plaintiff Angel Raich, an Oakland resident with an inoperable brain tumour whose doctor testified she could die if she stopped smoking pot. But the ruling backed the 1970 federal Controlled Substances Act barring marijuana.

Raich, who suffers from a host of ailments as well as the brain tumour, said marijuana was keeping her alive by easing her pain and bolstering her appetite.

"The court has just sentenced me to death," Raich said in a statement. "My doctors agree that medical cannabis is essential to my very survival."

The court's decision said use of the drug for medical purposes was gaining support but federal law still banned it.

"We agree with Raich that medical and conventional wisdom that recognises the use of marijuana for medical purposes is gaining traction in the law as well," he wrote. "For now, federal law is blind to the wisdom of a future day when the right to use medical marijuana to alleviate excruciating pain may be deemed fundamental."

The ruling acknowledged the law could change if legislators reconsider the issue.

"Although that day has not yet dawned, considering that during the last 10 years 11 states have legalised the use of medical marijuana, that day may be upon on us sooner than expected," Pregerson wrote.

Voters in California, the nation's most populous state, approved medical marijuana in 1996.

VICTORY FOR 'GANGA GURU'

In a ruling in another high-profile case, a Northern California U.S. District judge found that prosecutors had acted vindictively in adding four counts of tax evasion and one count of money laundering against "ganja guru" Ed Rosenthal.

The author of books including "Marijuana Growing Tips", Rosenthal was sentenced in 2003 to a single day in prison for violating federal law by growing the plant.

The 9th Circuit overturned that decision last year and a new trial ordered. The prosecutor renewed the case with the original marijuana charge and new counts on tax evasion and money laundering.

"The reasonable observer will interpret the government's conduct as demonstrating that if defendants successfully appeal, the government will ensure that they face more severe charges and more prison time the next time around," Judge Charles Breyer wrote.

"The government's commencement of its investigation into the tax and money laundering charges shortly after the first trial is consistent with the evidence suggesting that the new charges were brought in retaliation for Rosenthal's post-verdict complaints about the fairness of the trial."

However, Breyer denied Rosenthal's efforts to dismiss the original marijuana charges.

Rosenthal had argued he believed cultivating marijuana for medical purposes was allowed under state law. He sees his case as part of a crusade to eliminate U.S. laws against marijuana.

(Additional reporting by Jim Christie)

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
Reuters journalists are subject to the Reuters Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

#20 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

Ah, I found the evidence to support marijuana's use to treat brain tumors -- in humans and mice:

News Source: Science Daily

Posted Image

Source: American Association For Cancer Research
Date: August 16, 2004

Marijuana Ingredient Inhibits VEGF Pathway Required For Brain Tumor Blood Vessels

Science Daily — Cannabinoids, the active ingredients in marijuana, restrict the sprouting of blood vessels to brain tumors by inhibiting the expression of genes needed for the production of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF).

According to a new study published in the August 15, 2004 issue of the journal Cancer Research, administration of cannabinoids significantly lowered VEGF activity in laboratory mice and two patients with late-stage glioblastoma.

"Blockade of the VEGF pathway constitutes one of the most promising antitumoral approaches currently available," said Manuel Guzmán, professor of biochemistry and molecular biology, with the Complutense University in Madrid, Spain, and the study's principal investigator.

"The present findings provide a novel pharmacological target for cannabinoid-based therapies."

Glioblastoma multiforme, the most aggressive form of glioma, strikes more than 7,000 Americans each year and is considered one of the most malignant and deadliest forms of cancer, generally resulting in death within one to two years following diagnosis.

The disease is usually treated with surgery, followed by conventional radiation alone or in combination with chemotherapy. However, the main tumor often evades total destruction, surviving and growing again, eventually killing the patient. For this reason, researchers are actively seeking other therapeutic strategies, some of which might be considered novel.

In this study, the investigators chose to work with cannabinoids which, in previous studies, have been shown to inhibit the growth of blood vessels, or angiogenesis, in laboratory mice. However, little was known about the specific mechanisms by which cannabinoids impair angiogenesis, or whether the chemical might do the same in human tumors.

To answer the first part of the question, the scientists induced gliomas in mice, which were subsequently inoculated with cannabinoids. Using DNA array analysis, the team examined 267 genes associated with the growth of blood vessels in tumors and found that cannabinoids lowered the expression of several genes related to the VEGF pathway, critical for angiogenesis.

The researchers also discovered that cannabinoids apparently worked by increasing the activity of ceramide, a lipid mediator of apoptosis, resulting in the functional inhibition of cells needed for VEGF production. The ability of cannabinoids to alter VEGF production was significantly stifled following the introduction of a ceramide inhibitor.

"As far as we know, this is the first report showing that ceramide depresses VEGF pathway by interfering with VEGF production," according to Guzmán.

To answer the second part of the question relating to clinical tests, the scientists obtained tumor biopsies from two patients with glioblastomas who had failed standard therapy, including surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. The biopsied tissue was analyzed before and after local injection of a cannabinoid.

"In both patients, VEGF levels in tumor extracts were lower after cannabinoid inoculation," said Guzmán.

The results, he added, suggest a potential new approach toward the treatment of these otherwise intractable brain tumors.

"It is essential to develop new therapeutic strategies for the management of glioblastoma multiforme," the scientists wrote, "which will most likely require a combination of therapies to obtain significant clinical results."

Also participating in the study were Cristina Blázquez and Amador Haro, from Complutense University; Luis González-Feria, from University Hospital, Tenerife, Spain; Luis Álvarez, from La Paz University Hospital in Madrid; and M. Llanos Casanova, from the Project on Cellular and Molecular Biology and Gene Therapy, CIEMAT, also in Madrid.

###

Founded in 1907, the American Association for Cancer Research is a professional society of more than 22,000 laboratory, translational, and clinical scientists engaged in all areas of cancer research in the United States and in more than 60 countries. AACR's mission is to accelerate the prevention and cure of cancer through research, education, communication, and advocacy. Its principal activities include the publication of five major peer-reviewed scientific journals: Cancer Research; Clinical Cancer Research; Molecular Cancer Therapeutics; Molecular Cancer Research; and Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. AACR's Annual Meetings attract more than 15,000 participants who share new and significant discoveries in the cancer field. Specialty meetings, held throughout the year, focus on the latest developments in all areas of cancer research.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by American Association For Cancer Research.

#21 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

In today's news:

The Seattle Times: News Source

Posted Image

Legislature 2007

House passes measure to clarify stance on medical marijuana

By Carol M. Ostrom

Seattle Times health reporter

A measure aimed at clarifying the state's medical-marijuana law to protect legitimate patients from arrest passed the state House of Representatives this week, but advocates can't agree whether that's actually good news for patients.

The bill has been changed significantly since its introduction. While the chief sponsor remains confident it will still end up helping a lot of patients, some of the most vocal advocates are calling the measure a "zero" that might even do more harm than good.

And the issue has created a rift among the people who have been fighting together for years for medical-marijuana rights.

"I've been crying for weeks on this," said Ric Smith, a Shoreline marijuana patient. "There are a whole bunch of hard feelings over this thing."

Addressing vagueness

The measure, Senate Bill 6032, was originally meant to address the vagueness that has plagued the state law since it was overwhelmingly passed by popular initiative in 1998. Over the years, some patients and "caregivers" who grow marijuana for them have been arrested and had their pot confiscated. As originally written, the bill would have directed police not to arrest or seize marijuana from legitimate patients. It left the 60-day supply mentioned in the law to be determined by medical need. It also would have allowed patients or suppliers to grow the plants collectively, so long as only qualifying patients got the pot.

The chief sponsor, Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Wells, D-Seattle, called the original "fabulous." But it was drastically amended because law enforcement voiced concerns, she said.

Because it has never been clear how many pounds, plants or joints make up a 60-day supply, language was added directing the Department of Health — instead of doctors — to define a 60-day supply.

Gone, in later versions, were protections from arrest, along with the provision for collective grows. In the end, the support of many formerly enthusiastic medical-marijuana patients and their advocates was gone, too.

Smith, for one, said the bill's failure to allow collective growing penalizes patients and caregivers who need to group together to afford the expenses involved in growing marijuana. Smith suffers from a host of medical problems, including AIDS, a stroke, colon cancer and kidney failure. He shares a "grow" but now worries about his caregiver being arrested.

Douglas Hiatt, a lawyer who represents medical-marijuana patients, summed up the sentiment: "This is the biggest zero bill I've ever seen," he said. "There is no meaningful protection in the bill — none. That's why patients don't support it."

Bipartisan support

But some medical-marijuana patients do support the bill. They note that the measure still spells out that police aren't required to confiscate marijuana if a patient is in compliance with the law. It also says doctors need only determine that a patient "may benefit" from marijuana to use it medically, and it adds several new health conditions to the list of ailments that may be treated with marijuana.

"I believe 6032 will help protect patients and reduce the waste of police resources," Martin Martinez of Seattle's LifeVine Clinic wrote to Kohl-Welles. "Don't be fooled by the vocal minority."

Tom McBride, executive director of the Washington Association of Prosecuting Attorneys, said the measure as now written clarifies, but does not expand or restrict, current law.

"It does a better job of telling medicinal users how to comply with the law without opening the law to recreational users," he said.

The current version also would direct the Department of Health to evaluate the feasibility of having the government supply marijuana directly to qualified patients.

Andy Ko, director of the Drug Policy Reform Project for the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, called the bill a first step.

"There needed to be law-enforcement support [to pass the bill]," he said. "For the first time, there was overwhelming support for fixing the medical marijuana bill and protecting patients."

Kohl-Welles acknowledged she has heard an earful from "some very vocal critics," but has been pleased about the bill's strong bipartisan support.

"They wanted a perfect bill, but we couldn't get that through," she said. "It's very rare you get a bill through the Legislature and signed into law that hasn't been amended."

The measure now goes back to the Senate, which has already passed a slightly different version. Kohl-Welles said that means there will be several opportunities to continue to improve the bill.

"I think it's important to keep working on it," she said.

Carol M. Ostrom: 206-464-2249

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

#22 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

Another related story:

The Arizona Daily Star: News Source

Posted Image

Published: 04.18.2007

Study: Pot cuts mice's cancer tumors

BLOOOMBERG NEWS

LOS ANGELES — Giving marijuana to mice with cancer shrank their lung tumors by half and slowed spread of the disease, findings that may one day expand legal use of the substance as a treatment, researchers said.

The research is the first to show that marijuana's active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, blocks a known cancer- related protein that's already the target of such drugs as ImClone System Inc.'s Erbitux and Amgen Inc.'s Vectibix.

The findings, presented Tuesday at the American Association for Cancer Research meeting, add to evidence that marijuana may have anti-tumor properties and its potential should be probed further, researchers said.
Scientists speculate THC may activate biological pathways that halt cancer cell division or block development of blood vessels that feed tumors.

"THC can have a potential therapeutic role," said Anju Preet, the study's lead author and a researcher at Harvard University's division of experimental medicine.

"Maybe THC is killing cells. The preliminary studies are promising."

Tumor cells dosed with THC also showed a reduction in epidermal growth factor receptor, or EGFR, which means the substance may be acting in ways similar to Erbitux and Vectibix, which block the protein, Preet said.

Lung cancer cells with high levels of EGFR are generally very aggressive and treatment resistant, researchers said.

In addition to reducing tumor size by half, THC was also associated with a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions in the lungs of mice.

All content copyright © 1999-2006 AzStarNet, Arizona Daily Star and its wire services and suppliers and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution, or retransmission of any of the contents of this service without the expressed written consent of Arizona Daily Star or AzStarNet is prohibited.

#23 Guest_ato abe_*

• Lurker

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

there was a brief mention of anxiety, but nobody's mentioned the effects of longterm marijuana use that displays symptoms of induced schizophrenia in some individuals...it has the capability of being a powerful hallucinogenic. (I can't just be the only one that has heard of this.) [huh]

#24 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

you cant hallucinate from marijuana
trust me ive tried

#25 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

trust me ive tried

[lol] I would have to concur. AFAIK, Cannabis has no hallucinogenic properties beyond total subjectivity. Like that one guy who swore everything was made from triangles and circles.

#26 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (ajnast4r)
trust me ive tried

At the risk of sounding like a pantomime dame"Oh, yes you can". Subsequent ways of minimising the effect include shutting your eyes and whispering "sweet jesus, please let it stop"... or laughing at everything until the muscles atthe back of your jaw hurt.

Sentinel

#27 Guest_ato abe_*

• Lurker

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

I disagree, you can DEFINITELY hallucinate on marijuana. Nothing like any psychedelic hallucinogens, but cannabis most definitely possesses hallucinogenic properties.
Check out wiki's takes on psychoactive drugs. ...there's a venn diagram further down the page...

Edited by ato abe, 08 May 2007 - 06:01 PM.

#28 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

there was a brief mention of anxiety, but nobody's mentioned the effects of longterm marijuana use that displays symptoms of  induced schizophrenia in some individuals...it has the capability of being a powerful hallucinogenic. (I can't just be the only one that has heard of this.) [huh]

Weed shrinks your brain too. I saw proof of that in a movie at my high school when I was a kid. It was titled "Reefer Madness", best I recall.

#29 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

there was a brief mention of anxiety, but nobody's mentioned the effects of longterm marijuana use that displays symptoms of  induced schizophrenia in some individuals...it has the capability of being a powerful hallucinogenic. (I can't just be the only one that has heard of this.) [huh]

Weed shrinks your brain too. I saw proof of that in a movie at my high school when I was a kid. It was titled "Reefer Madness", best I recall.

LOL [thumb] Classic propaganda movie! I love the piano playing scene, amongst many others.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Oh, what the hell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users