- - - - -

Quality of (resveratrol) supplements

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Interesting thing to note--

David Sinclair is in phase 1b of human trials for a Resveratrol-based drug that has supposedly high bioavailability within humans. Something to keep an eye on.

#122 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Good find, Maxwatt. Ok, so this synthesis is a little different than the one I found on Pubmed. Still, pretty straightforward looking.....

Does anyone know what the production method of synthetic T-Res (like Orchid) looks like?

Orchids patent number is 6552213; you can read it via google:

Stereoselective route to produce tris-O-substituted-(E)-1-(3,5-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethene, an intermediate in the synthesis of trans-resveratrol
US Patent Issued on April 22, 2003

ABSTRACT
The present invention relates to a new stereoselective method for the preparation of tris-O-substituted-(E)-1-(3,5-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethene derivative of the formula (I) which is a key intermediate in the synthesis of trans-resveratrol (I, R2 =R2 =R3 =H). The invention also provides a method for the exclusive synthesis of trans-isomer of compounds of formula (I) without any contamination of cis-isomer.

google

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

Anthony Leora's (revgenetics) resveratrol comes from Asia according to him.

I also wonder if other supliers get there's from asia all as well. It concerns me only because my purchases from asia in past wholesale have been less than what they should have been.

He says he tests his res but what guarantee do we as consumers have at all that he actually has tested anything. Or selectively tested. Or etc. Seems like it would be far too easy to fake it or lie in this case -- not saying he is -- I just would feel a lot more comfortable if one of us had access to get product tested to make sure it's trans isomer, and the purity is as it is sold as, and the contaminants are as low as specified.

Any thoughts/ideas?

#124 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

How do we know that any vendor is doing what they say they are? I feel more comfortable with RevGenetics because of Anthony's interaction on this board than I would from a company that stays out of the fray and deals directly with the riff-raff like us.

Stephen

#125 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

Anthony Leora's (revgenetics) resveratrol comes from Asia according to him. 

I also wonder if other supliers get there's from asia all as well.  It concerns me only because my purchases from asia in past wholesale have been less than what they should have been.

He says he tests his res but what guarantee do we as consumers have at all that he actually has tested anything.  Or selectively tested.  Or etc.  Seems like it would be far too easy to fake it or lie in this case -- not saying he is -- I just would feel a lot more comfortable if one of us had access to get product tested to make sure it's trans isomer, and the purity is as it is sold as, and the contaminants are as low as specified. 

Any thoughts/ideas?

As far as I know, all Res comes from Asia.

#126 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

There is also German Rsv, and rsv from India as well.

But most of the stuff you see in wallmart, wallgreens, GNC, comes from Asia.

Speaking of which... the USP recently announced a partnership with the MCMIA which will confuse things even more for everyone here regarding USP verification testing:

http://vocuspr.vocus...ase&Cache=False

General USP Info:
http://www.usp.org/a...directions.html

Anthony

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 05 September 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#127 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

The Natural Products Association will also start using the USP resource as mentioned in this blurb:

Association Announces Important Initiatives, Research Results...The Natural Products Association made several important announcements during Natural MarketPlace 2007 in Las Vegas, Nev. First, the association announced a new program for testing Chinese raw materials for purity and composition; U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP) will perform the verification testing.

Which is good I suppose, but I think it will muddy up the water a bit as folks expect an american (or at least a non-chinese company) to do USP verification testing.

My question to you all, if RevGenetics started getting their products through these folks (as we are a member of the NPA, so we will have access to it...) will 3rd party testing be necessary even if its approved by the USP folks?

Anthony

#128 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

Maybe not always, but for a little while to ensure that the results match what you're getting from the USP.

#129 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

I don't know what level of testing USP provides. What does testing by USP mean?

#130 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

Full details about USP Program are here:

http://www.usp.org/USPVerified/

here is a quick blurb from the site:

Overview

USP verifies the identity, strength, purity, and quality of dietary supplement finished products, dietary supplement ingredients, and pharmaceutical ingredients. Products and ingredients that pass all USP verification requirements–including a GMP audit, product and ingredient testing, and manufacturing documentation review–are awarded use of the distinctive "USP Verified" mark. Participation is voluntary and available to manufacturers worldwide. USP's verification services draw upon its experience of more than 185 years in setting federally recognized public standards for medicines and dietary supplements that are used today in more than 130 countries around the world.

Ingredients that are USP verified with manufacturers also get to display this nifty logo:

Posted Image

A

#131 akallabeth

• 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:34 PM

Unless one owns or has access to HPLC testing, at a minimum, buying bulk raw materials from China may or may not be such a good idea.  Off-spec material and high levels of contaminants, particularly heavy metals from Polygonum cuspidatum/multiflorum produced in the northern regions,  are common. Chinese suppliers are not naive. They know to whom they can pass this off and to whom they cannot.

Since March or early April of this year virtually all low-cost 98%, and all of the cheap 99% raw mat, from China has been synthetic, i.e. produced from genetically modified yeast and/or bacteria. This product is illegal to import into the EU; Germany and France have started to test for it. Producers can make this material using fermentation for less than $150. per kg and the only way to positively identify it is through DNA testing. The HPLC specs often actually look better than natural product unless your lab techs know to use the correct reference sample and test methods for this type of material. There has been no independent testing of either the safety or effectiveness of this type of product.

The safety issue is the relatively high probability that genetic material from the bacteria or yeast ends up in the resveratrol.

This is very confusing. Resveratrol is a small molecule that cannot be made through genetic engineering. Unless one were to replace the entire biosynthetic pathway for its production in a productive way into a microbe (like yeast or E coli), these organisms cannot be used to make it. So why would genetically engineered bacteria or yeast end up in your resveratrol material from seaweed?

Second, genetically engineered bacteria or yeast carry modified DNA and proteins, which are part of 99% of American's diet anyway. The foods most Americans consume on a daily basis are the product of several long and complicated and unexamined steps that in most cases involve GM products of some kind. There is no known safety issue for consuming genetically modified foods anyway, certainly not a general one.

So, GM foods are not necessarily unsafe, and more relevantly, should not be part of any resveratrol preparation, unless the extraction and purification utilizes microorganisms.

#132 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

Akallabeth, if you read this thread through, you will find links to papers that describe engineering yeast and bacteria to produce resveratrol.

The problem is not the modified organisms, but one of quality control: ensuring the organisms do not mutate and produce something undesirable, such as a toxin that causes illness even in minute quantities, as happened with tryptophan.

#133 akallabeth

• 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

Akallabeth, if you read this thread through, you will find links to papers that describe engineering yeast and bacteria to produce resveratrol.

The problem is not the modified organisms, but one of quality control: ensuring the organisms do not mutate and produce something undesirable, such as a toxin that causes illness even in minute quantities, as happened with tryptophan.

Wow, thanks max, I stand corrected! Many small molecule compounds are a pain to make in microorganisms (even antibiotics, hence chemical synthesis), and I had assumed without looking that rersveratrol would likely not be trivial, and given its recent status as an interersting compound, am still surprised it was cracked so easily. I didn't find the references in this thread but did an online search and found this:

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1538726

Where they describe yeast and e coli methods in 2006! So this seems recent, and they have already adapted this to production in China? How do you know this?

And I agree about quality control, although that is an issue in different ways in just about anything that comes out of China, recombinant techology or something old fashioned, like painting toys!

#134 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:30 PM

I've purchased bulk material from China and always had it analyzed.

It's usually bad. One time I got a Kg of something and it turned out to be an illegal anabolic steroid. Other times, material which was claimed to be 98% pure is really 50% or 75%. 

I use American Analytical Chemical Laboratories, typically with GC, not HPLC. It's about $250 per test.

smithx,

RevGenetics usually only supply COAs by email. We simply want to know who has our COA's and if they are already our customers. We have just received some of our tests back from the lab, and I will post the COA for our 99% powder we use for the X500 capsules here. But going forward, you will need to request this by email. The problem with the COA's is that they age, and many times the COA on a competitors website will not pertain to the powder you just received from them.

Going forward, simply email us so that we can dig up the proper COA for your order. For now, here is one of our latest COA's from a lab you trust. We are waiting on a few things for from this lab, but our 99% powder looks great nonetheless:

PDF of Lab Analysis

thanks
Anthony Loera

#135 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I am adding this to the quality thread regarding Resveratrol. It was posted in another thread, but I believe this should go along in this one as well.

Below is an Email from our latest independent lab test. This one is different from the purity and safety tests performed. This test shows how our products activate the SIRT1 gene. As of this post, only Longevinex and RevGenetics have performed these tests on their products. No other supplement companies have tested their commercially available resveratrol, or if tested, have not released the information to the public.

Longevinex results are found here:
http://www.longevine.....0Life Studies

The RevGenetics results are shown below.
From the charts shown, it appears RevGenetics does a better job at activating the SIRT1 gene than any other tested brand. If anyone has more hard data we can add to the quality thread, or if you know of other SIRT1 studies we can link to here regarding supplements that anyone can buy at this time, please post them here.

thanks
Anthony Loera

As a bit of a background, Biomol is the research lab who first discovered resveratrol activates the SIRT1 gene. Their tests have helped pave the way for many of the resveratrol studies regarding longevity.

A

Date: Jan 11, 2008 4:36 PM
Subject: <Edited>
To: Anthony Loera <anthony@revgenetics.com>

Anthony Loera,

Please find attached the results from the SIRT1 activity tests comparing the RevGenetics resveratrol with our own (Cat. # FR-104). In summary, your resveratrol performed as good or better than ours in stimulating the activity of SIRT1.

Method:

8 concentrations of resveratrol, 0-500µM, were tested for stimulation of SIRT1 enzyme activity using the Fluor de Lys Drug Discovery Assay (Cat. # AK-555) described in detail in the attached file (ak555.doc). Specifically, assays were performed with 0.5 µg SIRT1 (Cat. # SE-239), 25 µM peptide substrate (Fluor de Lys-SIRT1, Cat. # KI-177) and 25 µM NAD+ 37°C, per well and incubated for 20minutes at 37°C.

Results:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The source data for the graphs, the raw fluorescence data and calculations are included in the attached excel file. Due to the fact that the SIRT1 specific activity with no resveratrol was, coincidentally, almost exactly 1 pmol/min/µg, the specific activity (full concentration series graph) and the fold activation numbers (bar graph) are very similar.

I hope that you find the results useful. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can be of further service.

Best regards,

Mark Engleka, Ph.D.
Technical Service
BIOMOL International, L.P.
E-mail: Engleka@BIOMOL.com
Phone: 800-942-0430 Ext. 233
Fax: 610-941-9252

www.biomol.com

SIRT1 Fluorimetric Drug Discovery Kit
RevGenetics SIRT1 Assays

#136 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

Strong work, Anthony. Now all we need are optimal P.O. absorption and human in vivo SIRT1 activation studies!

Hi everyone,

I am adding this to the quality thread regarding Resveratrol. It was posted in another thread, but I believe this should go along in this one as well.

Below is an Email from our latest independent lab test. This one is different from the purity and safety tests performed. This test shows how our products activate the SIRT1 gene. As of this post, only Longevinex and RevGenetics have performed these tests on their products. No other supplement companies have tested their commercially available resveratrol, or if tested, have not released the information to the public.

Longevinex results are found here:
http://www.longevine.....0Life Studies

The RevGenetics results are shown below.
From the charts shown, it appears RevGenetics does a better job at activating the SIRT1 gene than any other tested brand. If anyone has more hard data we can add to the quality thread, or if you know of other SIRT1 studies we can link to here regarding supplements that anyone can buy at this time, please post them here.

thanks
Anthony Loera

As a bit of a background, Biomol is the research lab who first discovered resveratrol activates the SIRT1 gene. Their tests have helped pave the way for many of the resveratrol studies regarding longevity.

A

Date: Jan 11, 2008 4:36 PM
Subject: <Edited>
To: Anthony Loera <anthony@revgenetics.com>

Anthony Loera,

Please find attached the results from the SIRT1 activity tests comparing the RevGenetics resveratrol with our own (Cat. # FR-104). In summary, your resveratrol performed as good or better than ours in stimulating the activity of SIRT1.

Method:

8 concentrations of resveratrol, 0-500µM, were tested for stimulation of SIRT1 enzyme activity using the Fluor de Lys Drug Discovery Assay (Cat. # AK-555) described in detail in the attached file (ak555.doc). Specifically, assays were performed with 0.5 µg SIRT1 (Cat. # SE-239), 25 µM peptide substrate (Fluor de Lys-SIRT1, Cat. # KI-177) and 25 µM NAD+ 37°C, per well and incubated for 20minutes at 37°C.

Results:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The source data for the graphs, the raw fluorescence data and calculations are included in the attached excel file. Due to the fact that the SIRT1 specific activity with no resveratrol was, coincidentally, almost exactly 1 pmol/min/µg, the specific activity (full concentration series graph) and the fold activation numbers (bar graph) are very similar.

I hope that you find the results useful. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can be of further service.

Best regards,

Mark Engleka, Ph.D.
Technical Service
BIOMOL International, L.P.
E-mail: Engleka@BIOMOL.com
Phone: 800-942-0430 Ext. 233
Fax: 610-941-9252

www.biomol.com

SIRT1 Fluorimetric Drug Discovery Kit
RevGenetics SIRT1 Assays

#137 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'd expect any product that contained it's statd amount of resveratrol, would similarly activate Sirt1 in the Biomol assay.

#138 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

Biotivia FDA Consumer Alert

I had a read through this quality thread, going over Anthony's and Biotiva's comments.

I think the greasy marketing alarm bell has been proven right.

Oh and I found this very funny:

Moderators , Navigators and Treasurer

This is to bring to your notice the kind of harshment brought on by Brainbox and Anthony.. I'm not sure on what basis they say I operate multiple accounts.
If this doesn't stop I'll be forced to make this issue public even beyond Imminst.
Is this the kind of treatment forum members get from Imminst org. ?

Reminded me of a qoute: "Friends, Romans, Countrymen!".

#139 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

I had a read through this quality thread, going over Anthony's and Biotiva's comments.

This is to bring to your notice the kind of harshment brought on by Brainbox and Anthony.. I'm not sure on what basis they say I operate multiple accounts.
If this doesn't stop I'll be forced to make this issue public even beyond Imminst.

Maybe the link should point directly at the FDA website instead of the commercial one?

A

#140 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

It is pretty funny actually...

Ask Biotivia, if resveratrol products were produced which have superior bioavailability, based upon technology developed "within the last 18 months," then how did Biotivia conduct tests to prove its claim of a 24-month shelf life?

Ask Biotivia for evidence they have conducted independent shelf-life studies to confirm their product meets label claim for dosage 2 years after date of manufacture
From the longevinex website... This actually goes to prove how stupid longevinex is how little experience they have with the FDA...
FOr a FDA Submission you have to include stability data. If you had to wait for 24months it would take years for anything to hit the market. For stability you have three basic regions in the world. These regions are basically hot / humid, cold/dry and right in-between assuming you want to sell to every part of the world you test your finished product (resveratrol + capsule) and also your plain resveratrol powder. You normally include accelerated stability (harsh conditions, think tropical) data which the FDA will accept for your NDA. After you get real time data you inlcude this as your project progresses.

LOL i have to finish reading about the other statements... Pretty funny shi$

#141 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

Maybe the link should point directly at the FDA website instead of the commercial one?

A

don't you need a shower?

http://www.fda.gov/f...ters/s6562c.htm

Edited by Ben - Aus, 05 June 2008 - 01:57 PM.

#142 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

It appears you don't go by what you say in your personal statement... that's ok.
Nice to have you on the board. I have to say you made me chuckle this morning. As children we used to say that alot to each other (my brother, sister and I) since we got whipped for cussing...

Ahhh, brings back memories...

A

A

don't you need a shower?

http://www.fda.gov/f...ters/s6562c.htm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#143 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

It appears you don't go by what you say in your personal statement... that's ok.
Nice to have you on the board. I have to say you made me chuckle this morning. As children we used to say that alot to each other (my brother, sister and I) since we got whipped for cussing...

Ahhh, brings back memories...

A

Hey y'all I'm a good time boy. Chuckling, cussing and chillen. You can trust me because I'm just like you.

B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users