Photo
- - - - -

Verifying products for purity

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:09 PM

I thought I might let everybody know that I have recently submitted a sample of Rizzer's Idebenone to Integrated Biomolecule Corporation. They are going to analyse the substance and verify that it is indeed what it is advertised as being. I sent them the COA Mike provided me and shipped it off express mail earlier today, so I should have the breakdown by Wednesday next week.
Integrated Biomolecule Corporation provides online reporting, and if possible I will make the link available to everybody:

ANALYTICAL SERVICE REPORTING SYSTEM™

Always one step ahead, Integrated Biomolecule is the first in the industry to provide on-line sample tracking and report posting. With it you can track our receipt of your samples and the projected date the results will be ready, and download product analysis reports. We'll even email you when your results are posted. And all this at no additional charge.

Mike encouraged me to submit the sample, and tells me that he will give me store credit + interest for spending the money on the test. That is encouraging.

I wil report my findings here. I am speaking to Mike about submitting more products for testing as well. Check back for updates.

Take care,

Adam

Edited by nootropi, 19 September 2004 - 04:15 AM.

#2 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:12 PM

adamp2p said,

I thought I might let everybody know that I have recently submitted a sample of Rizzer's Idebenone to Integrated Biomolecule Corporation. They are going to analyse the substance and verify that it is indeed what it is advertised as being. I sent them the COA Mike provided me and shipped it off express mail earlier today, so I should have the breakdown by Wednesday next week.

Without, I hope, raising further concerns in your mind about bias, I suggest that life extensionists should not take idebenone, whatever its quality. This CoQ analog appears to further increase the rate of production of mitochondrial superoxide over and above what occurs as an unfortunate side-effect of electron "fumbling" by CoQ in the transfer of electrons from Complex I to Complex III.

FEBS Lett. 2001 Sep 21;505(3):364-8.
The site of production of superoxide radical in mitochondrial Complex I is not a bound ubisemiquinone but presumably iron-sulfur cluster N2.
Genova ML, Ventura B, Giuliano G, Bovina C, Formiggini G, Parenti Castelli G, Lenaz G.

"The mitochondrial respiratory chain is a powerful source of reactive oxygen species, considered as the pathogenic agent of many diseases and of aging. We have investigated the role of Complex I in superoxide radical production in bovine heart submitochondrial particles and found ... that the one-electron donor in the Complex to oxygen is a redox center located prior to the binding sites of three different types of CoQ antagonists, to be identified with a Fe-S cluster, most probably N2 on the basis of several known properties of this cluster.

Short chain CoQ analogs enhance superoxide formation, presumably by mediating electron transfer from N2 to oxygen. The clinically used CoQ analog, idebenone, is particularly effective in promoting superoxide formation."

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Apr;959:199-213.
Role of mitochondria in oxidative stress and aging.
Lenaz G, Bovina C, D'Aurelio M, Fato R, Formiggini G, Genova ML, Giuliano G, Pich MM, Paolucci U, Castelli GP, Ventura B.

"The mitochondrial respiratory chain is a powerful source of reactive oxygen species (ROS), considered as the pathogenic agent of many diseases and of aging." "The mitochondrial theory of aging considers somatic mutations of mitochondrial DNA induced by ROS as the primary cause of energy decline; in rat liver mitochondria, Complex I appears to be most affected by aging and to become strongly rate limiting for electron transfer."

"We have investigated the role of Complex I in superoxide radical production and found ... that the one-electron donor in the Complex to oxygen is a redox center located prior to the sites where three different types of coenzyme Q (CoQ) competitors bind ...

Short-chain coenzyme Q analogues enhance superoxide formation, presumably by mediating electron transfer from N2 to oxygen. The clinically used CoQ analogue idebenone is particularly effective, raising doubts about its safety as a drug. ... Exogenous CoQ, however, protects cells from oxidative stress by conversion into its reduced antioxidant form by cellular reductases. "

If these in vitro results pan out in vivo, then the use of idebenone would result in increased mitochondrial free radical production, accelerating the aging process. Therefore, while the apparent clinical benefits of idebenone in some disease states may make its use a sensible calculated risk for victims of those pathologies, it seems an extremely foolish gamble in the case of an otherwise healthy life extensionist.

To your health!

AOR

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

Does Idebenone have significant nootropic effects in your opinion?

#4 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:16 PM

double post

#5 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

If these in vitro results pan out in vivo, then the use of idebenone would result in increased mitochondrial free radical production, accelerating the aging process. Therefore, while the apparent clinical benefits of idebenone in some disease states may make its use a sensible calculated risk for victims of those pathologies, it seems an extremely foolish gamble in the case of an otherwise healthy life extensionist.

To your health!

AOR

Well without sounding insulting, every single nootropic drug has, in one study or another, been shown to decrease intelligence; so would you then conclude that because a single study gave such results, that those results are reproduceable? With such an enormous database as Medline I am sure you will find studies with contradictory results...do you believe everything you read? Or just some things? Personally, I would do a bit more reading...before making such an assumption. In particular, you should note that contradictory data is present throughout our universe. You need to sort through data with a pick and comb...

The way research is conducted today, there are many variables introduced that are not disclosed to the reader. Therefore it is probably better to read every bit of data available on the topic, present both sides of the argument, then state your conclusion.

:)

#6 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:34 AM

Does Idebenone have significant nootropic effects in your opinion?

Could be wrong, but I think it doesn't improve cognition unless it is administered long-term or there is an acute insult.

#7 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:41 AM

Well without sounding insulting, every single nootropic drug has, in one study or another, been shown to decrease intelligence

There are thousands of studies on piracetam, I have never seen one that shows it to have negative effects on cognition. Same goes for many other nootropics.

so would you then conclude that because a single study gave such results, that those results are reproduceable? With such an enormous database as Medline I am sure you will find studies with contradictory results...do you believe everything you read?  Or just some things?  Personally, I would do a bit more reading...before making such an assumption.  In particular, you should note that contradictory data is present throughout our universe.  You need to sort through data with a pick and comb...

The way research is conducted today, there are many variables introduced that are not disclosed to the reader.  Therefore it is probably better to read every bit of data available on the topic, present both sides of the argument, then state your conclusion.

This amounts to a conspiracy theory. If you have contradictory evidence, you should be able to present it. You have made the assumption that the poster did not do their research, and you have no basis for this assumption. They could just be summarizing it. Of course, I'm sitting on the fence on this one because I know very little about CQ10/idebenone, I am just pointing out the errors in your reasoning. And just to note, I would not be at all surprised if idebenone did prove to be very overrated, as some of the "standard" nootropics/supplements (I'm thinking of DMAE here) prove to be worthless or harmful upon closer inspection.

#8 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:06 AM

removed

Edited by nootropi, 12 September 2004 - 04:41 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:31 AM

Could be wrong, but I think it doesn't improve cognition unless it is administered long-term or there is an acute insult.

This is what I've read, but that was a while ago and I just wanted to verify that it would indeed do that. By the way I can't wait until your Aniracetam article at 1Fast400. [thumb]

#10 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:44 AM

To AOR support:
The article you submit is interesting, but frankly, I don't undertand it very thoroughly. There are lots of terms I don't even recognize. Terms such as "Complex I", "Complex III", "N2" and many more.
But I understand that the basic finding is that one in vitro study suggests that idebenone increased mitochondrial free radical production. But what about the claim that idebenone is a very potent antioxidant: could it also be that, in vivo, those free radicals are soon to be neutralized by idebenone itself? Or will they escape and be destructive in other areas where idebenone is absent? I think it's quite logical that a substance that is known to increase cellular energy production also increase free radical production (simple analogy: more burning means more smoke). But the question is, what happens to those free radicals after being formed? In vitro, the study finds that CoQ10 protects the cells from this oxidative stress. But as human beings we are more interested in the in vivo effect of Idebenone induced oxidative stress.
Personally, I'd rather advise heightened caution than to advise not to take idebenone based on one in vitro study (while numerous other studies do not come up with this possible risk).

Edited by shapeshifter, 21 May 2004 - 11:42 AM.

#11 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

AOR said,

adamp2p replied,

Well without sounding insulting, every single nootropic drug has, in one study or another, been shown to decrease intelligence; so would you then conclude that because a single study gave such results, that those results are reproduceable?

First, like David, I don't believe that any study of the classic/true nootropics (pyroglutamate analogs) has ever been shown to have any negative effect on intelligence. But even if I did, that would not be an analogous case. One must base one's judgements on the balance of available evidence. If many studies showed cognitive benefits from a substance and just one study showed a negative effect, the balance of evidence would still favor the supplement.

In this case, by contrast, all of the studies which I have found have either reported that idebenone increases mitochondrial free radical production, or related findings which suggest the same conclusion. The abstract extracts which I previously posted were just the "low-hanging fruit" which I selected for posting purposes because their abstracts are clear and do not require much background knowledge to see the implications.

These results build on a previously-established body of work, such as:

Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996 Jun 15;330(2):395-400.
The interaction of Q analogs, particularly hydroxydecyl benzoquinone (idebenone), with the respiratory complexes of heart mitochondria.
Esposti MD, Ngo A, Ghelli A, Benelli B, Carelli V, McLennan H, Linnane AW.

Idebenone is ... clearly a poor substrate for ... complex I. Indeed, idebenone is a strong inhibitor of both the redox and proton pumping activity of complex I, showing effects in part similar to those of coenzyme Q-2. However, the mechanism of idebenone interaction with complex I may be different from that of Q-2 because of its different sensitivity to inhibitors. The possible relevance of the present findings to the therapeutic use of idebenone is discussed.

Now, to many that might sound innocent enough -- just a bunch of biochemical babble. But it seems more sinister if one is familiar with the way that free radicals are produced in the mitochondria. And in the full text, the authors elaborate:

Idebenone promotes a redox bypass of complex I, allowing NADH to be oxidized and enhancing the concentration of quinol substrate for complex III, and at the same time functions as an excellent substrate for succinate oxidation. Both of these effects could result in a potentiation of the bioenergy production of the respiratory chain. ... Nevertheless, our biochemical data suggest that the clinical use of idebenone should be exercised with caution, especially because idebenone could stimulate oxygen radical production in mitochondrial electron transport. Our results also indicate how idebenone may ameliorate mitochondrial defects due to functional impairment of mitochondrial complex I as in the case of LHON [Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy] (LHON).

The abstract of the following article mentions neither idebenone nor mitochondrial free radical production:

Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998 May 6;1364(2):222-35.
Inhibitors of NADH-ubiquinone reductase: an overview.
Degli Esposti M.

This article provides an updated overview of the plethora of complex I inhibitors. The inhibitors are presented within the broad categories of natural and commercial compounds and their potency is related to that of rotenone, the classical inhibitor of complex I. Among commercial products, particular attention is dedicated to inhibitors of pharmacological or toxicological relevance. The compounds that inhibit the NADH-ubiquinone reductase activity of complex I are classified according to three fundamental types of action on the basis of available evidence and recent insights: type A are antagonists of the ubiquinone substrate, type B displace the ubisemiquinone intermediate, and type C are antagonists of the ubiquinol product.

But in the full text appears:

Short-chain quinones such as Q-2, Q-3 and octyl-Q function both as substrates and inhibitors of NADH oxidation in mammalian mitochondria. These quinone analogues accept electrons from complex I and become inhibitory once reduced, a suicide-like action that seems to derive from semiquinone instability, since it increases oxygen radical production in complex I. The hydroxydecyl Q analogue idebenone is more potent than Q-2 and specifically inhibits membrane potential, which raises some worries for its use as a nootropic drug .

shapeshifter asked,

To AOR support:
The article you submit is interesting, but frankly, I don't undertand it very thoroughly. There are lots of terms I don't even recognize. Terms such as "Complex I", "Complex III", "N2" and many more.

The mitochondria generate energy by feeding electrons through a series of "pumps" in its membranes, each of which is referred to as a "Complex" and numbered sequentially (Complex II doesn't fit this pattern). This process builds up a "reservoir" of protons which are then released through a "turbine" called Complex V. (See the discussion and diagrams here:

http://www.r-lipoic....tochondrion.htm

Basically, the main source of free radical production in mitochondria comes from the "fumbling" of electrons being carried by CoQ from Complex I to Complex III. "N2" is an iron-sulfur cluster in Complex I where this "fumbling" usually occurs. The short-chain CoQ analogs are more vulnerable to this "fumbling" than CoQ itself -- and idebenone is by far the worst of the lot.

But I understand that the basic finding is that one in vitro study suggests that idebenone increased mitochondrial free radical production. But what about the claim that idebenone is a very potent antioxidant: could it also be that, in vivo, those free radicals are soon to be neutralized by idebenone itself?

Not overall: if it were, your mitochondria would never produce superoxide and we would all live forever :) . Despite the fact that it can act as an antioxidant, CoQ in its electron-shuttling role is a free radical (ubisemiquinone). Indeed, the CoQ or analog has to be reduced (to have accepted an electron) in the first place in order to form this radical and then do its damage by mistakenly passing the electron on (via N2) to oxygen, forming superoxide. This already happens "normally" with CoQ in vivo; by taking idebenone, you are displacing some CoQ with a substance which (in these in vitro studies) is clearly much more "butterfingered" with the electrons in its charge.

I think it's quite logical that a substance that is known to increase cellular energy production also increase free radical production (simple analogy: more burning means more smoke).

That isn't the mechanism, as outlined above. It's not that you're pressing harder on the accelerator: you're replacing your spark plugs with cheap substitutes which make your engine burn less cleanly.

Personally, I'd rather advise heightened caution than to advise not to take idebenone based on one in vitro study (while numerous other studies do not come up with this possible risk).

But how would you exercise that caution, aside from by prudently refusing to take the risk in the first place? This is not a case like high-dose niacin, where one can take the supplement but exercise caution by undergoing regular liver enzyme tests. There is no way to monitor your own mitochondrial free radical production. The best that I can imagine doing is making sure to take plenty of R(+)-lipoic acid. In this case, it seems more sensible to simply refuse to risk one's health and chance at bootstrapping one's way into engineered negligible senescence, since after all (in answer to cosmos' earlier question) there are only marginal data supporting its benefits in normal, healthy organisms to begin with -- and to the best of my knowledge no evidence of benefit in normal, healthy humans.

It would seem best for life extensionists who are already fundamentally healthy to give special weight to studies suggesting a negative effect -- especially on a fundamental mechanism of aging, such as mitochondrial free radical production. It is one thing to take a risk when one is in an immediately crippling health disaster like Friedrich's ataxia; it is quite another when one has little to gain and much to lose. There would be little more bitter than to spend years pursuing extended youth, health, and longevity, only to discover that one has actually been poisoning oneself with the very substances which one has been swallowing in hopes of extended lifespan.

To your health!

AOR

#12 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:51 AM

First I wanted to thank you,AOR, for elaborating on this topic.

My brother is a Ph.D of microbiology; when I spoke with him regarding this interesting substance, he mentioned to me that it was in a group of very strange chemicals; the quinones. I will ask him to review your argument as much of the scientific talk is mumbo jumbo to me...

I am very interested in examining this data that you are bringing; I will examine it more thoroughly soon. However, I must mention that the vast majority of the research concludes that Ibdebenone is quite safe and beneficial for human consumption.

Take care,

Adam

Oh, and I recieved the result from Integrated BioMolecule; smi2le's Ibdebenone indeed is quite what it is advertised as. I would upload the .pdf here, but my name and telephone number are on it and because it is password protected, I cannot edit it as I am currently traveling, thus I cannot scan and upload the results. I will do this soon.

[thumb]

#13 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:42 AM

To AOR support:
I'm also grateful for your patiently written clarifications [thumb].

I do still have questions/remarks:

Basically, the main source of free radical production in mitochondria comes from the "fumbling" of electrons being carried by CoQ from Complex I to Complex III. "N2" is an iron-sulfur cluster in Complex I where this "fumbling" usually occurs. The short-chain CoQ analogs are more vulnerable to this "fumbling" than CoQ itself -- and idebenone is by far the worst of the lot.

What causes this "fumbling"? Is this an inevitable random occurence? Or does an older mitochondria more prone to fumbling due to aging (crosslinking)?

I still can't imagine how the claims that Idebenone is a very potent antioxidant that even protects the mitochondrial DNA from free radicals and has nerve enhancing properties can be true if at the same time a few in vitro studies found it to be a stimulator of an increased free radical production. These opposite claims cannot both be true, can they?

But how would you exercise that caution, aside from by prudently refusing to take the risk in the first place? This is not a case like high-dose niacin, where one can take the supplement but exercise caution by undergoing regular liver enzyme tests. There is no way to monitor your own mitochondrial free radical production. The best that I can imagine doing is making sure to take plenty of R(+)-lipoic acid.

Well, I was thinking about being conservative with the dosing (by not exceeding 50 mg a day) and indeed, as I already do, taking (more) R-Lipoic acid. But after understanding the presented material better, I am inclined not to start taking Idebenone but to stay with CoQ10 instead. It costs less and does not raise concerns about accelerated mitochondrial damage. But I am not entirely sure whether Idebenone is in vivo truly damaging to one's health. Those studies are in vitro studies and the claims about the beneficial properties are exact the opposite. I am still not entirely sure what to do though. I hope that adamp2p's brother can provide us more understanding about this matter.

Mike Rizzer, if you read this: Do you plan on selling CoQ10 in bulk form too? [lol]

Edited by shapeshifter, 22 May 2004 - 10:16 PM.

#14 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:04 PM

Okay, so I removed my name from the file in ms paint.

Here is a .jpeg scan of the results of Smi2le's idebenone

VERY IMPRESSIVE results!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  dfg.jpg   102.07KB   85 downloads

Edited by nootropi, 21 November 2004 - 03:41 PM.

#15 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:00 PM

But how would you exercise that caution, aside from by prudently refusing to take the risk in the first place? This is not a case like high-dose niacin, where one can take the supplement but exercise caution by undergoing regular liver enzyme tests. There is no way to monitor your own mitochondrial free radical production. The best that I can imagine doing is making sure to take plenty of R(+)-lipoic acid. In this case, it seems more sensible to simply refuse to risk one's health and chance at bootstrapping one's way into engineered negligible senescence, since after all (in answer to cosmos' earlier question) there are only marginal data supporting its benefits in normal, healthy organisms to begin with -- and to the best of my knowledge no evidence of benefit in normal, healthy humans.

It would seem best for life extensionists who are already fundamentally healthy to give special weight to studies suggesting a negative effect -- especially on a fundamental mechanism of aging, such as mitochondrial free radical production.  It is one thing to take a risk when one is in an immediately crippling health disaster like Friedrich's ataxia; it is quite another when one has little to gain and much to lose. There would be little more bitter than to spend years pursuing extended youth, health, and longevity, only to discover that one has actually been poisoning oneself with the very substances which one has been swallowing in hopes of extended lifespan.

To your health!

Merely stating the observations of scientists research leaves much room for the assumption that the in vitro results are caused by a particular concentration of the substance in vitro; there are many other variables to be taken into consideration; especially when we are talking test tube science.

It appears that you have access to the entire article which you are referencing. Could you please include all the data? What would be particularly useful would be to have the data containing the methods that these scientists employed to achieve such results. It is also important to note that VERY often, the results obtained from a test tube often DO NOT, as you say "pan out" with what happens in the human body. :)

It might be a good idea to examine the results from studies involving humans with the same enthusiasm as you are with in vitro experiments and take what goes on in test tubes with a bigger grain of salt than you are currently injesting...

[wis]

Upon minor further investigation, it seems that over 90% of the data available regarding Idebenone seems to conclude exactly the opposite of what your sources are concluding; and, of course, often other properties and effects are investigated.

Many of these are human/animal studies. Just go ahead and search google a bit; it is a bit refreshing to get away from medline; often research conducted in non english speaking countries are not including in their index system.

http://www.blackwell...99.00408.x/abs/
http://hmg.oupjourna.../short/ddh114v1
http://www.ncbi.nlm....9&dopt=Abstract
http://www.smart-dru...-research-4.htm
http://hmg.oupjourna...ract/11/24/3055
http://smart-drugs.n...-research-8.htm
http://www.jbc.org/c...ct/278/49/49079
http://www.jneurosci...ract/18/16/6241
Take care,

Adam

Edited by adamp2p, 23 May 2004 - 04:22 AM.

#16 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:46 AM

This is what I've read, but that was a while ago and I just wanted to verify that it would indeed do that. By the way I can't wait until your Aniracetam article at 1Fast400.  [thumb]

http://magazine.mind...=242&issueID=19

Part II will be up with the next issue, which I would assume will be up in three weeks or less. We have a deal with them, so the articles at won't be at 1fast until two months later, and I have decided not to write a shorter article during the wait (as I did with piracetam).

• Lurker

Posted 23 May 2004 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the link, some of your research looked promising, can't wait until Part II.

#18 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

Part II will be up with the next issue, which I would assume will be up in three weeks or less. We have a deal with them, so the articles at won't be at 1fast until two months later, and I have decided not to write a shorter article during the wait (as I did with piracetam).

Very interesting article. Perhaps you can do the same for idebenone? What would be helpful would be if you could compile all the arguments, argue both sides, and state the general conclusion as you did with Aniracetam.

Take care,

Adam

#19 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

I would first like to comment on the results of the IBC analysis of smi2le/Rizzer's idebenone material. 96.73% idebenone is not a favorable result. While I do not know of an authoritative pharmaceutical standard (EP, USP, etc) for idebenone, pharmaceutical standards for a specific, isolated molecule (as opposed to an herbal extract, which by their nature have different sorts of standards) would normally dictate an assay result of 98% minimum for a pharmaceutical-grade material. I can think of no reason for an exeption to exist in the case of idebenone. Indeed, many suppliers offer a specification of >98% purity.

To follow up with other discussions:

AOR wrote,

It would seem best for life extensionists who are already fundamentally healthy to give special weight to studies suggesting a negative effect -- especially on a fundamental mechanism of aging, such as mitochondrial free radical production.  It is one thing to take a risk when one is in an immediately crippling health disaster like Friedrich's ataxia; it is quite another when one has little to gain and much to lose. There would be little more bitter than to spend years pursuing extended youth, health, and longevity, only to discover that one has actually been poisoning oneself with the very substances which one has been swallowing in hopes of extended lifespan.

adamp2p replied,

Merely stating the observations of scientists research leaves much room for the assumption that the in vitro results are caused by a particular concentration of the substance in vitro; there are many other variables to be taken into consideration; especially when we are talking test tube science.

Undeniably, a lifelong in vivo study in healthy rodents would be preferrable, but we do not have such a study. One must go with the data to hand. I suggest, again, that it would seem best for healthy life extensionists to give special weight to studies suggesting a negative effect -- especially on a fundamental mechanism of aging, such as mitochondrial free radical production.

It appears that you have access to the entire article which you are referencing.  Could you please include all the data?

I am sorry, but I do not have the time to type in (or cut and paste) their entire contents, nor to scan and upload the figures. If there are specific points in which you are interested, I would be more than happy to provide details.

It might be a good idea to examine the results from studies involving humans with the same enthusiasm as you are with in vitro experiments and take what goes on in test tubes with a bigger grain of salt than you are currently injesting...

Can you refer me to any studies in normal, healthy humans (or even normal, healthy rodents) which address the issue at hand (fundamental aging and mitochondrial free radical production via the nonenzymatic route (as opposed to programmed events in the apoptotic process, which occur through a separate mechanism))?

Upon minor further investigation, it seems that over 90% of the data available regarding Idebenone seems to conclude exactly the opposite of what your sources are concluding; and, of course, often other properties and effects are investigated.

I have looked through all of the studies which you referenced. They report that idebenone and/or decylubiquinone have a variety of apparently beneficial effects on diseases such as Friedrich's ataxia, animal models of ischemia, and apoptosis mediated via mitochondrial permeability transition. However, none of these address the concern raised by the studies which I cited, to wit: the increased nonenzymatic generation of mitochondrial free radicals and therefore (if the mitochondrial free radical theory of aging is correct) the acceleration of fundamental aging (as opposed to a specific disease state).

shapeshifter wrote,

To AOR support:
I'm also grateful for your patiently written clarifications  [thumb].

I do still have questions/remarks:

Basically, the main source of free radical production in mitochondria comes from the ‘fumbling’ of electrons being carried by CoQ from Complex I to Complex III. ‘N2’ is an iron-sulfur cluster in Complex I where this ‘fumbling’ usually occurs. The short-chain CoQ analogs are more vulnerable to this ‘fumbling’ than CoQ itself -- and idebenone is by far the worst of the lot.

What causes this ‘fumbling’? Is this an inevitable random occurence? Or does an older mitochondria more prone to fumbling due to aging (crosslinking)?

It is a simple, stochastic event, and therefore statistically inevitable. Having accepted electrons to form UQH2 (ubiquinol), CoQ is oxidized more or less by ‘bumping into’ the N2 site, generating ubisemiquinone radical which then reacts with oxygen in the matrix and forms superoxide.

The rate does not change with aging in any but a tiny minority of cells. The ‘fumbling’ rate, like the rate of aging, is a constant. It is not driven by any underlying aging process; rather, the evidence suggests, it drives the aging process.

I still can't imagine how the claims that Idebenone is a very potent antioxidant that even protects the mitochondrial DNA from free radicals and has nerve enhancing properties can be true if at the same time a few in vitro studies found it to be a stimulator of an increased free radical production. These opposite claims cannot both be true, can they?

Again, CoQ itself is an antioxidant, but is itself the main source of free radical production in the body in the execution of its normal duties. The two are in no way contradictory. All antioxidants can become prooxidants under at least some conditions, which is why it is important to take advantage of the ‘recycling’ action of the networking antioxidants:

http://www.aor.ca/pr...2&exec_sum=summ

CoQ and its analogs (such as idebenone) are just in an especially vulnerable spot. You can't do anything about this for CoQ because of its physiological role (without biotechnology), but you can certainly avoid replacing CoQ with an even more ‘fumble’-prone molecule.

Well, I was thinking about being conservative with the dosing (by not exceeding 50 mg a day) and indeed, as I already do, taking (more) R-Lipoic acid. But after understanding the presented material better, I am inclined not to start taking Idebenone but to stay with CoQ10 instead. It costs less and does not raise concerns about accelerated mitochondrial damage. But I am not entirely sure whether Idebenone is in vivo truly damaging to one's health. Those studies are in vitro studies and the claims about the beneficial properties are exact the opposite.

Again, they are not opposite. CoQ is an antioxidant; it also plays a role in generating the majority of the free radicals in the body, and at what most researchers now acknowledge to be the key site for aging in the body. Again, the case is similar -- but nastier, per the in vitro data -- for idebenone.

And again: I agree that long-term in vivo studies would be preferrable to those carried out in isolated mitochondria and submitochondrial particles. Unfortunately, those studies do not exist, and the in vitro data are the only data we have available.

Remember the wisdom of Dirty Harry: I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

Yes, yes, I know: in the movie, as it turns out, Inspector Callahan is bluffing. :)

To your health!

AOR

adamp2p's references:
http://www.blackwell...99.00408.x/abs/
http://hmg.oupjourna.../short/ddh114v1
http://www.ncbi.nlm....9&dopt=Abstract
http://www.smart-dru...-research-4.htm
http://hmg.oupjourna...ract/11/24/3055
http://smart-drugs.n...-research-8.htm
http://www.jbc.org/c...ct/278/49/49079
http://www.jneurosci...ract/18/16/6241

#20 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:42 PM

The substance I sent in was sent through US MAIL TWICE (once to me and once to the lab), for a total of 4+ days in their possesion. And this is NOT including the time it was shipping from the original lab to Mike! Now do you see? Or do I need to proceed to explain to you that we are talking about a perishable substance?
Posted Image

Heat alone can degrade the purity of Idebenone. That is not to mention that it was exposed to air several times, presumably at different moisture levels. I thought you would have figured that the sample was not simply sent from one lab to another lab in a perfectly sealed container with no exposure to light or heat!!! The product was manufactured on March 1st!

Come on! Use common sense!

Edited by nootropi, 12 September 2004 - 04:42 AM.

#21 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

Hmm, it feels like talking about what kind of ship to use: a sailing ship or a motorized ship? A motorized ship is faster and better to control, but laboratory tests has found the exhaust of the motor engine to be toxic. It is however proven that motorized ships is not directly detrimental to it's passengers. But how concerned should I be about the long term effects of living in a motorized ship (especially if you are also the engineer)? And how concerned should I be on it's polluting effects on the environment? How fast do I want to travel? Do I really need the speed? How badly reversible is the pollution?
Decisions, decisions...

#22 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

Hmm, it feels like talking about what kind of ship to use: a sailing ship or a motorized ship? A motorized ship is faster and better to control, but laboratory tests has found the exhaust of the motor engine to be toxic. It is however proven that motorized ships is not directly detrimental to it's passengers. But how concerned should I be about the long term effects of living in a motorized ship (especially if you are also the engineer)? And how concerned should I be on it's polluting effects on the environment? How fast do I want to travel? Do I really need the speed? How badly reversible is the pollution?
Decisions, decisions...

I like your line of thought...

#23 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:25 PM

Maybe I just build a motorized sailing ship to travel in. Most of the time I'll use sails. But when encountering storms I'll lower the sails and use the engines instead. When encountering strong currents I might use both sails and engines. For every situation a different solution.

#24 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

AORsupport wrote,

I would first like to comment on the results of the IBC analysis of smi2le/Rizzer's idebenone material. 96.73% idebenone is not a favorable result. While I do not know of an authoritative pharmaceutical standard (EP, USP, etc) for idebenone, pharmaceutical standards for a specific, isolated molecule (as opposed to an herbal extract, which by their nature have different sorts of standards) would normally dictate an assay result of 98% minimum for a pharmaceutical-grade material. I can think of no reason for an exeption to exist in the case of idebenone. Indeed, many suppliers offer a specification of >98% purity.

adamp2p wrote,

AOR support: You seem like a bright chap, why don't you use your noggin?
We are talking about a perishable substance!

Do you know what that means? 

The substance I sent in was sent through US MAIL TWICE (once to me and once to the lab), for a total of 4+ days in their possesion. [u] And this is NOT including the time it was shipping from the original lab to Mike!

If it is so perishable that it degrades to below specification in the US mail, what it means is that the material is of poor quality. [sfty] One obvious possibility: excessively high levels of transition metals.

We at AOR routinely receive shipments of pharmaceutical-grade supplements from Europe and Japan, where they spend several days in transit and one to four weeks in customs. We then send the stuff off for analysis, usually at labs in the USA, which (since we are in Canada) again entails delay because of customs. If a material failed to meet specification, we reject it.

We also do testing of our encapsulated products to ensure stability over the course of the labeled shelf life. If materials degraded this quickly, there would be something wrong with either the materials or the manufacturing -- or in a few cases, the product storage conditions would need to be modified.

R(+)-lipoic acid can be a difficult material with which to work, and the current salts ought to be refrigerated when possible (although a new salt which we have under development should further increase stability and may obviate this need). Still, we get results like this:

http://www.r-lipoic....independent.htm

However, I emphasize again, that there is to the best of my knowledge no evidence that idebenone is safe or beneficial for otherwise-healthy humans, or even that it is safe for long-term use in healthy experimental animals. I therefore cannot see the wisdom in healthy life extensionists risking the use of even pharmaceutical-grade idebenone.

To your health!

AOR

#25 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

If it is so perishable that it degrades to below specification in the US mail, what it means is that the material is of poor quality. [sfty]  One obvious possibility: excessively high levels of transition metals.

We at AOR routinely receive shipments of pharmaceutical-grade supplements from Europe and Japan, where they spend several days in transit and one to four weeks in customs. We then send the stuff off for analysis, usually at labs in the USA, which (since we are in Canada) again entails delay because of customs. If a material failed to meet specification, we reject it.

We also do testing of our encapsulated products to ensure stability over the course of the labeled shelf life. If materials degraded this quickly, there would be something wrong with either the materials or the manufacturing -- or in a few cases, the product storage conditions would need to be modified.

I was waiting for you to insert your plug any day now. :) That is a load of garbage. You could do a good job at marketing if you only knew when to plug at the right time. LOL.

Let me disabuse you of your false perception, (while simultaneously informing members of the forum): if a substance is 96.73% pure, and it is supposed to be 98% pure, and two months had passed from its manufacture date, and it is perishable (ie. it has a half life), then a ~1% degredation in purity is not considered worth losing any sleep over.

Maybe you should consider the benefits of pop up advertisements instead of the banner and plug combo; it is really not an effective strategy to be so indirect with a sales pitch.

Take care!

#26 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:23 AM

I was waiting for you to insert your plug any day now. :) That is a load of garbage.  You could do a good job at marketing if you only knew when to plug at the right time.  LOL.

Let me disabuse you of your false perception, (while simultaneously informing members of the forum): if a substance is 96.73% pure, and it is supposed to be 98% pure, and two months had passed from its manufacture date, and it is perishable (ie. it has a half life), then a ~1% degredation in purity is not considered worth losing any sleep over. 

Maybe you should consider the benefits of pop up advertisements instead of the banner and plug combo; it is really not an effective strategy to be so indirect with a sales pitch.

Take care!

First, can we please stick to the issue.

Second, I really don't think one can draw conclusions either way, and if you have some solid information to give (such as how data on how easily idebenone degrades, etc.), please do provide it. All of the COAs I've seen for supplements (assuming a single ingredient and not an herbal extract or something) list 98%, 99%, or 99.5% as a minimal acceptable level of purity. However, what really matters is what the contaminants are - if a product was originally pure and then 5% or so degraded into harmless substances, I don't think it would be a big deal. On the other hand, from what I know, heavy metals should always be tested for, as they could be present in toxic amounts even if a product was 99.5% pure. The fact of the matter is, in this case, we don't know. What we have established though is that the product actually contains mostly idebenone, which is a good first step, and definitely reassuring in its own way. Personally, I would buy this, assuming I wanted to take idebenone. On the other hand, I'm not going to make that decision for others, and many people routinely demand a higher level of purity, so I don't think it's fair to say that it has been confirmed to be pure by a third party, especially until the discrepancy can be explained by something other than guesswork. Whether we interpret the results as positive or negative, we all definitely appreciate the effort it took to get this tested - something that it would be good for consumers to do on a more regular basis.

#27 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:30 AM

Very interesting article. Perhaps you can do the same for idebenone? What would be helpful would be if you could compile all the arguments, argue both sides, and state the general conclusion as you did with Aniracetam.

Take care,

Adam

I will certainly do one on idebenone eventually, but probably not in the near future - there are a few others in the series for the coming months that are already pretty much set in stone. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find good or reasonably objective information on nootropics in the secondary literature - it is either written by people who think improving cognition is impossible and/or immoral or people who think every so-called nootropic is a panacea. I am trying to remedy that, and give a more balanced perspective.

#28 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:09 AM

Second, I really don't think one can draw conclusions either way, and if you have some solid information to give (such as how data on how easily idebenone degrades, etc.), please do provide it. All of the COAs I've seen for supplements (assuming a single ingredient and not an herbal extract or something) list 98%, 99%, or 99.5% as a minimal acceptable level of purity. However, what really matters is what the contaminants are - if a product was originally pure and then 5% or so degraded into harmless substances, I don't think it would be a big deal. On the other hand, from what I know, heavy metals should always be tested for, as they could be present in toxic amounts even if a product was 99.5% pure. The fact of the matter is, in this case, we don't know. What we have established though is that the product actually contains mostly idebenone, which is a good first step, and definitely reassuring in its own way. Personally, I would buy this, assuming I wanted to take idebenone. On the other hand, I'm not going to make that decision for others, and many people routinely demand a higher level of purity, so I don't think it's fair to say that it has been confirmed to be pure by a third party, especially until the discrepancy can be explained by something other than guesswork. Whether we interpret the results as positive or negative, we all definitely appreciate the effort it took to get this tested - something that it would be good for consumers to do on a more regular basis.

If you look closely at the data, you can see that IBC labs did report on the metal content.

#29 ejdavis1

• 92 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:14 AM

If anyone has specifics and links to articles that address the alleged heat-sensitivity of R-ALA, I would appreciate it if you could post them here. I have noticed that the powder in the caps I bought several months ago from vitacost.com does look a litttle clumped up, but they seem potent enough.

I can't find anything online anywhere else that mentions this, although I do remember seeing mention of it before. I have some of my bulk supplies in an insulated chest already, but I don't plan on refrigerating it based on hearsay alone.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 nootropi

• Topic Starter
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:57 PM

@shpongled

I noticed that your articles seem like they are written to increase sales at a particular website. I do not have any problem with this. Is this writing profitable enough for you where you could consider writing your own book?

The market is definately there. You might consider just a small printing; maybe 10,000 copies at first. That won't be too expensive at all. And you still could do the thing with bulk nutrition; you could mention them as a source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users