• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me get started with supplements.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:40 AM

I am an 18 year old male, and I will be starting college next week. I have never taken any supplements, and I am looking for suggestions.

I would like to start with any vitamins or herbal medicines that will have positive longterm effects on my intelligence. I want to go to medical school after college, so I need to preform well in college. For now, I would like to avoid the real drugs, but I may try them in a few years to help me do well on the MCAT test. I am not willing to sacrifice my longterm health for short term intelligence boosts.

I am also looking for suggestions on ways to improve my health and increase my lifespan. Other than excercise and a good diet, what else should I be doing?

I read on this site, "Subtract five years if you sleep more than nine hours a day." I am currently getting over 10 hours of sleep per night, and I thought sleep was beneficial for health. Should I start sleeping less?

From what I have read I am considering taking:

multivitamin
vitamin C
vitamin B
vitamin E
ginseng
ginkgo biloba

I have read that additional vitamin A, Gotu Kola, Lecithin, and Chlorella are also good nootropics, but I was less convinced. Any opionions on these?

I am about 65 inches tall, and I weigh a little less than 120 pounds. Please suggest which vitamins and herbs I should take and at what dosages and intervals.

Thanks for any help.

#2 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 04:33 AM

I'd say there's three stages to taking supplements.

1) you take a daily multivitamin. Any multivitamin will do. No research needed.

2) You take a range of supplements, after having done a fair amount of reading and making your own cost/benefit calculation.

3) you're into nootropics/esoteric supplements, and have done even more reading and thinking

Getting past stage (1) means research. If you're interested in making a start on it, you should get a membership with the LEF (http://www.lef.org). They'll make things easier for you - and they sell a couple of products that are basically super-multivitamins.

Remember that exercise and a good diet is as important as supplements in the long run. Also remember that most of what you read - even on the reputable sites - is designed to get you to buy stuff.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chris_h

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I have plenty of money, but I have always been skeptical of unproven supplements so I will probably be conservative.

I agree that studying is the only way to memorize facts, and that the supplements that speeds up memorization could potentially save me time.
I am more interested in being able to utilize my knowledge more quickly when solving problems. When I took the SAT, I got a 1380. If I was given unlimited time, I would have answered every question correctly, but that was the best I could do in time given. I also would not mind if the supplements improved my chess game.

There is a lot of information out there. I feel like I am drowning in information.

Could you recommend a good book or two to get me started? I feel like if I continue searching the net I will read many of the same things over and over and still not have the complete necessary background.

#4 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:36 AM

As a multivitamin, I can recommend you Source Naturals Advance One Multiple.
Very important nootropical basis: omega-3 fatty acids (EPA/DHA). Fish oil (about 2-4 grams a day (I use Now Foods Super EPA, delivering 360mg EPA/240mg DHA in each capsule)) or perilla oil are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Also very good is squalene (shark liver oil (1-2 grams a day)). Without the proper fatty acids oiling your brain, there is little sense in trying to boost your intelligence/mood/quality of your brain further. Mind you that most of the brain (about 60%) consists of fat. The quality of this fat determines for a great deal the quality of your brain. Avoid trans fatty acids. Make a serious study of the health and cognitive influencing properties of fats. Make a study about what kind of fats certain foods contain, how and in what kind of fats they are prepared, and determine whether they are beneficial or detrimental.
Also important is to watch your calory intake. The brain needs a lot of calories: about 30% of energy being used goes to the brain. But too much calories creates a lot of oxidative stress. Avoid foods with high glycemic index (calories that are fastly converted to energy). Sudden changes in you blood sugar level is bad for your mood (it can make you overly aggressive. impatient or depressed) and lessens your capacity to think clearly. They also highten the risk of having diabetes later in life. Make sure you are supplied with enough chromium to keep you blood sugar level stable. Eating small portions at several moments spreaded across the day is also a good practice.
As an adaptogen, consider Rhodiola Rosea (200 - 400 mg once a day) to increase your focus and mood. I have found Rhodiola Rosea's working more subtle than ginseng, but definitely present: you only feel it when you need it. For younger people like you, I think it's more suitable than ginseng. Ginseng is generally more suitable for people older than 30 (or it should be used in smaller doses). Using ginseng I sometimes feel a bit forced to focus.
A good nootropical amino acid you can try is pyroglutamine (pyroglumatic acid). About 1000 mg a day to start with.
Also buy lecithine powder: a cheap, reliable and effective source of choline. You can mix it with milk or yoghurt, you can scatter it over bread or food. Good for your memory, general thinking capacity and is also anti-oxidative. You don't have to use it scarcely.
A good source of acetylcholine is DMAE (I think 250 mg - 350 mg twice a day would be good). My personal experience is that it helps me to be more analytical, process information better and stay focused.
As for a good source vitamine A, try beta carotene. This way you cannot overdose yourself. Vitamine A can be toxic if a too high dose is ingested. Beta carotene only converts to vitamine A if your body needs it. But I have never heard of vitamine A being nootropic (I guess it could be so indirectly, in a supporting way).
Then there is Acetyl-L-Carnitine. But take this together with R-Lipoic acid to protect yourself from increased oxidation (start prudently with 250 mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine + 50 mg R-Lipoic acid a day, eventually doubling each of it later).
I have found methylcobalamin (methylated B12) 500 mcg - 1 mg a day good for my alertness, fast response, anti-stress and focus. I'm not sure what it could mean to you.
As for a solid anti-oxidant network: Extra vitamine E mixed tocopherols (about 800 iu total a day), extra vitamine C with bioflavonoids (about a total of 1,5 - 2 grams a day), about a total of 200mcg of selenium a day, opti-L-zinc (30-60 mg a day), R-Lipoic acid (50 mg), CoQ10 (15 mg for someone at your age) and N-acetyl-L-cysteine (about 1,2 grams a day). Do take them together for their synergetic effect.
Avoid food cooked at very high temperatures (fried foods). As they can accelerate glycation in your body. Glycation is the crosslinking of protein and glucose molecules. This process is responsible for the wrinkles in older's people skin. But worse is that it also occurs in your internal organs. The bad news is that they are irreversible. There are supplements you can take to block glycation: L-Carnosine and benfotiamine. There are other supplements, like pyridoxamine, but they are difficult to procure. Wait a few years and they will become common. To you, taking carnosine and benfotiamine now (about 3x100 mg carnosine and 3x50 mg benfotiamine a day) won't result in visible or noticable effects. Only after about 30 years you will notice that you look and feel younger than others at your age.
Avoid taking too much calories as they increase oxidative stress needlessly. There is evidence that R-lipoic acid can block this oxidative stress efficiently, but final conclusions are not drawn yet. Taking R-Lipoic acid now already is recommendable.
Also good to note is a process called methylation and a substance called Trimethylglycine that can enhance the methylation process. But at your age this is probably not an issue yet. But study this and keep this in mind for your later years.
These are the good things you can study and try without much (long term) risk.
Mind you that your youth is something very precious. You should not take it for granted.

Edited by shapeshifter, 06 June 2004 - 05:03 PM.

#5 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 04:37 PM

I'd say there's three stages to taking supplements.

1) you take a daily multivitamin. Any multivitamin will do. No research needed.

I disagree on this point - a lot of cheap multivitamins use forms of the vitamins/minerals that are not very bioavailable, which defeats the purpose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:59 PM

Shpongled, agreed - my point was on the approaches taken by various classes of people to taking supplements. Most people are type (1).

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users