Photo
- - - - -

FYI: soy derived phosphatidyl serine

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:08 AM

Jean Carper usually produces books (and columns) which are well researched and the information in them (IMHO) is usually reliable. In her book Your Miracle Brain pg 280 she writes of soy derived PS:

"Dr. Crook [Thomas Crook, former chief of the Geriatric Psychopharmacology Program at the National Institute of Mental Health] proclaims soy-type PS supplements identical in memory-boosting powers, even superior in some aspects, to the formerly used bovine PS. A recent double-blind test was an endorsement of soy Leci-Ps. Dr. Crook found that people with memory troubles who took 300 mg soybean Ps (leci PS tm) for 12 weeks demonstrated striking improvement: compared with placebo-takers, their ability to learn and remember written imformation jumped 33%; remembering names immediately after an introduction skyrocketed 24%, recalling name one hour after introduction rose 33% over the placebo group"

Crook, TH, et al, Effects of PS in age-associated memory impairment. Neurology; 41(5); 644-649, 1991.

I should add that I've not pulled the original article, and have no idea if the company that makes the soy PS sponsored the study, but Carper is generally up on what she writes and often communicates with the orignial investigators.

Good enough for me to continue taking it.

Scott

Edited by scottl, 01 October 2004 - 04:25 AM.

#2 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:29 AM

Thanks Scott. I appreciate it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:31 AM

What is the recommended dosage? Is there a dosage bell curve, if for instance, I am taking over the normally recommended amount.

Also is Rizzer's PS the same kind as the one referred to by Scottl?

Thanks.

#4 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:52 AM

Cosmos,

1. "is Rizzer's PS the same kind as the one referred to by Scottl?"

You'd have to ask Rizzer where he gets it, but again, from Carper's book, pg 280, "Today PS is derived from soybeans entirely, and about 95% of it is sold as a supplement is made by one company, Lucas Meyer in Decatur, Ilinois, under the trademark Leci-PS". Some companies sell PS with some phosphatidyl ethanolamine but I've no idea if the...ethanolamine is doing anything significant.

2. What is the recommended dosage? Carper recommends 100 mg three times a day for a month then 100 mg/day.

PS is also is uselful to help supress elevated cortisol levels (there is a reference, but probably only with the older form). Since I lead a stressful life and have had a saliva cortisol level demonstrated to be elevated late in the day (cortisol normally peaks at 6AM and should be lower later in the day) I take 100 mg 3 times/day.

If you read the bodybuilder threads they talk about taking larger doses of it for their purposes e.g. to blunt cortisol after a long workout (which may or may not be a good idea). There are likely some threads on avant.

Scott

#5 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:18 PM

Jean Carper usually produces books (and columns) which are well researched and the information in them (IMHO) is usually reliable.  In her book Your Miracle Brain (ya the title is hokey) pg 280 she writes of soy derived PS:

"Dr. Crook ... proclaims soy-type PS supplements identical in memory-boosting powers, even superior in some aspects, to the formerly used bovine PS.  A recent double-blind test was an endorsement of soy Leci-Ps.  Dr. Crook found that people with memory troubles who took 300 mg soybean Ps (leci PS tm) for 12 weeks demonstrated striking improvement: compared with placebo-takers, their ability to learn and remember written imformation jumped 33%; remembering names immediately after an introduction skyrocketed 24%, recalling name one hour after introduction rose 33% over the placebo group"

Crook, TH, et al, Effects of PS in age-associated memory impairment.  Neurology; 41(5); 644-649, 1991.

I should add that I've not pulled the original article, and have no idea if the company that makes the soy PS sponsored the study, but Carper is generally up on what she writes and often communicates with the orignial investigators.

Carper is indeed one of the most reliable mainstream health reporters, although she is very much on the "trailing edge" of research.

In this case, however, she's simply made an error. Here is the study to which she refers:

Effects of phosphatidylserine in age-associated memory impairment.
Neurology. 1991 May;41(5):644-9.
Crook TH, Tinklenberg J, Yesavage J, Petrie W, Nunzi MG, Massari DC.

We treated 149 patients meeting criteria for age-associated memory impairment (AAMI) for 12 weeks with a formulation of phosphatidylserine (100 mg BC-PS tid) or placebo. Patients treated with the drug improved relative to those treated with placebo on performance tests related to learning and memory tasks of daily life. Analysis of clinical subgroups suggested that persons within the sample who performed at a relatively low level prior to treatment were most likely to respond to BC-PS. Within this subgroup, there was improvement on both computerized and standard neuropsychological performance tests, and also on clinical global ratings of improvement. The results suggest that the compound may be a promising candidate for treating memory loss in later life.

"BC-PS" means "Bovine Cortex PS," as the full text states (and in case anyone doesn't know, "tid" is the initials of the Latin phrase "ter in die," meaning "three times a day," which is where the 300 mg dose comes from). See, for instance, the abstract of another study by Crook:

Psychopharmacol Bull. 1992;28(1):61-6.
Effects of phosphatidylserine in Alzheimer's disease.
Crook T, Petrie W, Wells C, Massari DC.

We studied 51 patients meeting clinical criteria for probable Alzheimer's disease (AD). Patients were treated for 12 weeks with a formulation of bovine cortex phosphatidylserine (BC-PS; 100 mg t.i.d.)or placebo, and those treated with the drug improved on several cognitive measures relative to those administered placebo. Differences between treatment groups were most apparent among patients with less severe cognitive impairment. Results suggest that phosphatidylserine may be a promising candidate for study in the early stages of AD.

In other words, this was not a study on soy PS, but yet another confirmatory study on the bovine material. Again, the 2001 Jorissen et al study (Nutr Neurosci 4(2):121-34) remains the only published, blinded, controlled study of soy-derived PS. It was funded by Lucas Meyer (now a division of Degussa), the major manufacturer of soy PS globally. And it was a total flop.

There are plenty of orthomolecular cognitive enhancers out there that are backed by solid research; there's no need throw good money after bad on this one.

To your health!

AOR

Edited by AORsupport, 30 September 2004 - 03:15 PM.

#6 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:42 PM

From an article by David Tolson here:

http://www.1fast400....gredients_id=32

S=soy derived and BC =bovine cortex derived PS

"Despite this, experiments indicate that S-PS and BC-PS are functionally similar – as with BC-PS, S-PS restores scopolamine-induced memory impairments by oral, IP, and intracerebroventricular administration, as well as preventing ischemic damage in the gerbil hippocampus, indicating that we can expect the effects seen with BC-PS to be retained with S-PS [1-2]."

Also

"Finally, a double-blind cross-over study on 11 male subjects undergoing intensive weight training for two weeks found that 800 mg of S-PS decreased post-exercise cortisol levels and reduced the muscle soreness and psychological depression associated with overtraining [13]"

This was in humans with the soy derived form, and if PS does nothing else except supress cortisol that is good enough for my purposes.

1. Jpn J Pharmacol. 1999 Oct;81(2):237-9. Oral administration of soybean lecithin transphosphatidylated phosphatidylserine (SB-tPS) reduces ischemic damage in the gerbil hippocampus. Suzuki S, Furushiro M, Takahashi M, Sakai M, Kudo S.

2. Eur J Pharmacol. 2000 Sep 15;404(1-2):161-7. Phosphatidylserine reverses reserpine-induced amnesia. Alves CS, Andreatini R, da Cunha C, Tufik S, Vital MA.

13. Altern Med Rev. 1999 Aug;4(4):249-65. Nutritional and botanical interventions to assist with the adaptation to stress. Kelly GS.

#7 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:59 AM

There is more supportive info from an article by Stephen A. Levine, Ph.D. here:

http://www.springboa...phosserine.html

"So far, four studies that we know of have been performed with S-PS. The study supports previous research with BC-PS, also confirming that PS is the active agent in the previous studies and not some unknown "carry along" compound. This study, by Gindin et al., stands out because two additional parameters of clinical interest were noted. The patients were asked if they would continue to use PS even if they had to pay for it, and their positive response strongly supported the efficacy of the compound, as will be discussed. Secondly it was observed that PS prevented depressive symptoms associated with winter depression (see figure 1) This was a statistically significant finding and it expands the spectrum of benefits now associated with PS to include Seasonal Affective Disorder.

In 1995, a 2-month treatment study (Gindin, J. et al.) using plant-derived phosphatidylserine (S-PS) showed positive effects on daily functioning, emotional state and self-reported general condition of Alzheimer's disease patients. (See figure 2) In a post-trial consumption survey, nearly half of the participants of the treatment group decided to continue treatment at their own expense, in contrast to none in the placebo group. These results of a short-term treatment which had no negative side effects encourages the use of S-PS with AD patients in order to evaluate on an individual basis possible improvement in patient condition. These results also encourage further investigation into long-term treatment and on larger groups with regard to the patient's AD status, i.e. early, mild and severe AD.

Gindin, J., et al. 1990, Effect of Soy Lecithin Phosphatidylserine (PS) Treatment on Daily Functioning and Self-Reportcd General Condition in Patients with Alzheimer's Disease, The Geriatric Institute of Education and Research Kaplan Medical Centre, Rehovot, and Hadassah Medical School, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.

Shinitsky, M, Ph.D., Kinetics and Safety of Soy Lecithin Phosphatidylserine (PS) Absorption, Weizmann, Institute of Science Rohovot, Israel, 1996 (Study Report, September 1, 1999).

Interestingly Ray Sahelian raises similar questions to AORsupport here:

http://www.raysahelian.com/ps.html

There is good info here that is worth reading and I'm not sure a simple yes/no answer is possible.

Dr. Shelian provides good info, but he can be very conservative on doses.

#8 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:12 PM

There is more supportive info from an article by Stephen A. Levine, Ph.D. here:

http://www.springboa...phosserine.html

"So far, four studies that we know of have been performed with S-PS.

... but none of these have been controlled trials that have shown a clinical effect on cognitive function and managed to pass peer review.

"The study supports previous research with BC-PS, also confirming that PS is the active agent in the previous studies and not some unknown "carry along" compound.

That's a straw man. No one has suggested that a "carry along" compound was responsible for the effects of BC-PS. The point is that BC-PS is structurally distinct from soy PS and therefore one expects (and the data confirms) that it will not have the same effects.'

In 1995, a 2-month treatment study (Gindin, J. et al.) using plant-derived phosphatidylserine (S-PS) showed positive effects on daily functioning, emotional state and self-reported general condition of Alzheimer's disease patients. (See figure 2) In a post-trial consumption survey, nearly half of the participants of the treatment group decided to continue treatment at their own expense, in contrast to none in the placebo group. These results of a short-term treatment which had no negative side effects encourages the use of S-PS with AD patients in order to evaluate on an individual basis possible improvement in patient condition. These results also encourage further investigation into long-term treatment and on larger groups with regard to the patient's AD status, i.e. early, mild and severe AD. ... Secondly it was observed that PS prevented depressive symptoms associated with winter depression (see figure 1) This was a statistically significant finding and it expands the spectrum of benefits now associated with PS to include Seasonal Affective Disorder.

The author of the Web article says that this was a 1995 study, but the citation gives it as 1990, and a version in AOR files is dated 1993. Note, however, that the citation gives no journal reference. That's because there isn't one :). This study has been trumpeted as proof of the efficacy of soy PS for over a decade now, yet it has never managed to pass the muster of peer review.

Note that the Shinitsky citation also is not to a peer-reviewed journal. I have not seen the article, but from the title and the information in the web article it appears that it only proved that soy PS is absorbed into the blood and causes no major side effects -- not that it actually has any benefits.

Again: the 2001 Jorissen et al study remains the only published, blinded, controlled study of soy-derived PS on cognitive function in humans -- and it was a total flop.

AOR

Gindin, J., et al. 1990, Effect of Soy Lecithin Phosphatidylserine (PS) Treatment on Daily Functioning and Self-Reportcd General Condition in Patients with Alzheimer's Disease, The Geriatric Institute of Education and Research Kaplan Medical Centre, Rehovot, and Hadassah Medical School, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.

Shinitsky, M, Ph.D., Kinetics and Safety of Soy Lecithin Phosphatidylserine (PS) Absorption, Weizmann, Institute of Science Rohovot, Israel, 1996 (Study Report, September 1, 1999).

Jorissen BL, Brouns F, Van Boxtel MP, Ponds RW, Verhey FR, Jolles J, Riedel WJ.
The influence of soy-derived phosphatidylserine on cognition in age-associated memory impairment.
Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4(2):121-34.

#9 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

It seems that the DHA backbone of Bovine PS is the key.

#10 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:13 AM

Hmmm There is this:

"A clinical trial by Crook (1998) showed that three months of Leci-PS supplementation has effects on memory and cognition that are comparable to those of bovine-derived PS, with results even slightly favoring the soy-derived Leci-PS."

http://www.leci-ps.c.../lecips/faq.htm

which I'm guessing may be reported here:

T.H. Crook. Treatment of Age-Related Cognitive Decline: Effects of Phosphatidylserine in Anti-Aging Medical Therapeutics, Vol II, edited by R.M. Klatz, Health Quest Publications, Chicago, 1998, 20 - 29.

but why it is not in a published journal I do not know.

I've written Jean Carper who was kind enough to write me back the last time I wrote her, so perhaps she can use her contacts to see what is what.

Dr. Crook has written a book advocating use of PS.

T. Crook. The PS Factor: the key to peak mental performance for life. Mind Publishing Inc. 1999, ISBN 0-9685168-0-7

If all else fails, I'll call Dr. Crook and see if I can get him to enlighten me.

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Edited by scottl, 01 October 2004 - 08:26 AM.

#11 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

Hmmm There is this:

"A clinical trial by Crook (1998) showed that three months of Leci-PS supplementation has effects on memory and cognition that are comparable to those of bovine-derived PS, with results even slightly favoring the soy-derived Leci-PS."

http://www.leci-ps.c.../lecips/faq.htm

which I'm guessing may be reported here:

T.H. Crook. Treatment of Age-Related Cognitive Decline: Effects of Phosphatidylserine in Anti-Aging Medical Therapeutics, Vol II, edited by R.M. Klatz, Health Quest Publications, Chicago, 1998, 20 - 29.

Yes, that would be it (it was a presentation at the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, not a scientific conference) -- but the summary given above is misleading. To say that the study "showed that three months of Leci-PS supplementation has effects on memory and cognition that are comparable to those of bovine-derived PS" might lead one to believe that the trial involved a soy PS arm and a bovine PS arm, which it did not. The study was an open, uncontrolled, unblinded study. They simply compared the results (which showed an increase in the "ability to remember names immediately after introduction ... remember those names one hour after introduction ... and ... learn and remember written information" relative to baseline. These unblinded results were then compared to improvements relative to baseline in placebo and bovine groups in a previous placebo-controlled trial of bovine PS vs placebo.

This kind of historical comparison is not scientifically valid, precisely because it can't control for the placebo effect within the cohort or for simple learning effects. When everyone -- investigators and patients alike -- knows they're getting the real thing, any placebo effect is magnified, especially when the investigators already are convinced that it will be effective. If this kind of design were of any value, we would stop running controlled trials at all.

but why it is not in a published journal I do not know.

It would be difficult to get this study published in a respectable journal. In fact, it was announced that this study would be appearing in a journal publication in 1999-2000 (the journal to which it was submitted was named), but it never appeared there or elsewhere.

Dr. Crook has written a book advocating use of PS.

I have no doubt that Dr. Crook sincerely believed in the utility of soy PS supplements when he wrote the book, based on his experience with bovine PS; he may have been willing to be convinced by an open soy PS study because of an expectation of success, again based on the previous bovine studies. His book was written in 1999, and the first -- and only -- blinded, placebo-controlled trial of soy PS on cognitive function had not been performed.

One last time: Jorrisen et al's 2001 study was the first and only such trial, and it showed no effects on any parameter, even after multiple torturous subgroup comparisons and differential analyses of the data.

On available evidence, soy-derived PS is of no benefit for cognitive function in humans.

AOR

Jorissen BL, Brouns F, Van Boxtel MP, Ponds RW, Verhey FR, Jolles J, Riedel WJ.
The influence of soy-derived phosphatidylserine on cognition in age-associated memory impairment.
Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4(2):121-34.

T. Crook. The PS Factor: the key to peak mental performance for life. Mind Publishing Inc. 1999, ISBN 0-9685168-0-7

#12 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:15 PM

"On available evidence, soy-derived PS is of no benefit for cognitive function in humans."

It seems so. On the other hand it does seem to have benefits related to stress:

1. study from above:

"Finally, a double-blind cross-over study on 11 male subjects undergoing intensive weight training for two weeks found that 800 mg of S-PS decreased post-exercise cortisol levels and reduced the muscle soreness and psychological depression associated with overtraining [13]"

13. Altern Med Rev. 1999 Aug;4(4):249-65. Nutritional and botanical interventions to assist with the adaptation to stress. Kelly GS.

2. Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4(3):169-78.

The influence of phosphatidylserine supplementation on mood and heart rate when faced with an acute stressor.

Benton D, Donohoe RT, Sillance B, Nabb S.

Department of Psychology, University of Wales Swansea, United Kingdom. d.benton@swansea.ac.uk

There have been previous reports that supplements of phosphatidylserine (PS) blunted the release of cortisol in response to exercise stress and that it improved mood. The present study extended these observations by considering whether PS supplementation influenced subjective feelings of stress and the change in heart rate when a stressful mental arithmetic task was performed. In young adults, with neuroticism scores above rather than below the median, the taking of 300mg PS each day for a month was associated with feeling less stressed and having a better mood. The study for the first time reports an improvement in mood following PS supplementation in a sub-group of young healthy adults.

3. Neurobiol Aging. 1991 Sep-Oct;12(5):437-40. Related Articles, Links

Protective action of phosphatidylserine on stress-induced behavioral and autonomic changes in aged rats.

Drago F, Spadaro F, D'Agata V, Valerio C, Grassi M, Mauceri F, Pennisi G, Scapagnini U.

Institute of Pharmacology, University of Catania Medical School, Italy.

Phosphatidylserine (PS) was administered in aged rats subjected to various stressor stimuli in order to evaluate its effect on grooming behavior, core temperature and gastric ulcers. Novelty-induced grooming appeared to be increased in aged rats as compared to young controls. The subchronic intraperitoneal treatment with PS (20 mg/kg/day for 20 days) decreased grooming activity in aged rats, whereas it did not affect that of young animals. Restraint stress induced hyperthermia in both aged and young rats. However, 90 min after the beginning of restraint, PS-treated old rats showed a normalization of core temperature. Furthermore, restraint-plus-cold stress induced gastric ulcers in both aged and young rats. The treatment with PS was followed by a decreased incidence of gastric lesions in aged, but not in young rats. The mechanism of PS protective action against stress-induced behavioral and autonomic changes is unknown, but it may involve the brain level as this drug exerts a noteworthy influence on behavior and autonomic functions.

4. anectdotal experience (ya ya I know) of Michael McDonnough (see other posts) from rec.drugs.smart

[re: PS]
What you will find most note worthy is the lack of stress reaction
chemicals in your bloodstream following an incident that would
normally cause you stress.

Phosphatidylserine blocks the release of stress chemicals including
cortisol. The first time I experienced this is when I left my
expensive Nokia 9290 communicator phone in a dangerous position when I
was checking the oil on my car. I closed the hood on my phone and
could see that the hood had deformed to allow my phone to be under the
hood.

My normal reaction to this type of incident would be a lot of stress
chemicals dumped into my bloodstream and then a lot of cussing and
such. It just did not happen. I mentally braced for the stress
chemicals to hit my bloodstream but they never did. I opened the hood
to find my phone was undamaged by the way.

I would say that this is the most impressive thing I have noticed.
Several other incidents have happened where I expected the stress
chemicals but they simply are not produced. For remaining cool under
fire Phosphatidylserine is the best.

Michael McDonnough
Enhancement Technology Co
http://www.enhancement-technology.com
http://www.neuro-fx.com

#13 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:36 PM

I think this study is the most relevant relating to stress and Soy PS.

Stress. 2004 Jun;7(2):119-26. Related Articles, Links

Effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) on the endocrine and psychological responses to mental stress.

Hellhammer J, Fries E, Buss C, Engert V, Tuch A, Rutenberg D, Hellhammer D.

Neuropattern, Trier, Germany. juliane.hellhammer@uni-trier.de

Phosphatidylserine, derived from cow brains, has been shown previously to dampen the ACTH and cortisol response to physical stress. Further research investigated the influence of soy lecithin phosphatidylserine supplementation on mood and heart rate when faced with an acute stressor. In this study, we investigated the effects of soy lecithin phosphatidic acid and phosphatidylserine complex (PAS) supplementation on pituitary adrenal reactivity (ACTH, cortisol) and on the psychological response (Spielberger State Anxiety Inventory stress subscale) to a mental and emotional stressor. Four groups of 20 subjects were treated for three weeks with daily dosages of either 400 mg PAS, 600 mg PAS, 800 mg PAS, or placebo before exposure to the Trier Social Stress Test (TSST). Treatment with 400 mg PAS resulted in a pronounced blunting of both serum ACTH and cortisol, and salivary cortisol responses to the TSST, but did not affect heart rate. The effect was not seen with larger doses of PAS. With regard to the psychological response, 400 mg PAS seemed to exert a specific positive effect on emotional responses to the TSST. While the placebo group showed the expected increase in distress after the test, the group treated with 400 mg PAS showed decreased distress. These data provide initial evidence for a selective stress dampening effect of PAS on the pituitary-adrenal axis, suggesting the potential of PAS in the treatment of stress related disorders.

PMID: 15512856 [PubMed - in process]

#14 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:44 AM

It seems that the results from taking high doses of Alpha GPC have great results, which is well documented; while the beneficial results from soy derived PS are spotty.

#15 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:27 PM

Personally, I don't believe PS is worth the money unless you are rich or are certain you have cortisol problems. With that said, I still believe that S-PS is adequate. Following are the reasons:

1. The fact that there is only one study on soy PS in humans with memory impairment, and it failed to yield positive results, is certainly not evidence that it doesn't work. It means the study failed to support the hypothesis. Even with the most scientifically proven remedies, there are studies like this. It would be great if we had more research, but the fact that S-PS has not been researched much in this area is certainly not evidence that it doesn't have an effect. One can't conclude that something doesn't work because one study failed to produce a result.

The only type of study from which we could draw the conclusion that S-PS is inferior would be a comparative one. In other words, subjects would be randomized to both types of PS (and ideally placebo as well). You can't compare the results of different studies and act as though they are the same study unless you have a large amount of data and use sophisticated statistical techniques.

2. Animal studies strongly suggest that S-PS has the same effects on the brain. Granted, these are animal brains, but if it doesn't make a difference which type you use in animals, it is likely that this is true in humans as well.

3. S-PS has the cortisol-reducing and anti-stress effects in humans, lending further credence to the idea of functional similarity.

4. Every area of the brain contains these fatty acids, thus every area of the brain would see at least some increase in PS with either supplement. Since the mechanism of action of PS is expected to be relatively non-specific - i.e., it is due to a general increase in PS levels, not a specific alteration of the relative amounts of PS in certain areas - either can be expected to be of benefit, while one may be more beneficial than the other.

#16 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:47 PM

Ok,

if the assumption in here that bovine PS is the best, where is sold?

#17 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:01 AM

Pinball due to the risk of....slow viruses e.g. mad cow I doubt that bovine BRAIN derived phosphatidyl serine is available....or that you would really want to take it.

#18 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 06:13 AM

Pinball due to the risk of....slow viruses e.g. mad cow I doubt that bovine BRAIN derived phosphatidyl serine is available....or that you would really want to take it.

Yeah, well my googling did not find me any carnivorous PS. What are the chances of getting mad cow from supplement factories willing to take that risk. Very Low in my opinion. Whether its because of lawsuit crazed public or legitimate concerns. I cannot find any companies that will sell it, however. I would buy it from a free range manufacturer. If you find one let me know.

#19 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:04 AM

Pinball,

I do not think it is presently being made.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

The point is that BC-PS is structurally distinct from soy PS and therefore one expects (and the data confirms) that it will not have the same effects.'

An old thread but just curious if anyone has any further thoughts on the discussion?
Also how would the following products stack up against the standard Soybean Lecithin-derived PhosphadylSerine:
- Sharp Thought by Country Life and PhosphatidylSerine DHA Optimized by Source Naturals
Both products contain the Sharp-PS™ Gold Proprietary Soybean Extract and Fish Oil (DHA) Conjugate

- Seriphos by InterPlexus and T.E. Neesby
Both products contain a blend of Phosphorylated Serine/Ethanolamine

- Porcine (pig)-brain based PS and generally glandular brain products (say Porcine or Bovine derived from New Zealand, where there has not been a single case of mad cow disease).
For examples see:
http://www.standardp...uroplex5850.pdf
http://www.drrons.co...gans-glands.htm

- Egg Yolk Lecithin by Nature's Plus
Though I think Egg Yolk contains no PhosphatidylSerine.

Edited by Visionary7903, 21 August 2009 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users