Photo
- - - - -

R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid Supplementation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:38 PM

AOR was the first organization in the world to introduce R-lipoic acid, the superior form of this anti-aging, mitochondrial energy molecule, as a pharmaceutical-grade supplement for the life extension community. In the ensuing years, numerous companies followed our lead. But now some companies are promoting the use of R-dihydro-lipoic acid (R-DHLA) pills. These companies point out that R-dihydrolipoic acid is the more powerful antioxidant, and suggest that most of R-lipoic acid’s benefits come from being converted into R-dihydrolipoic acid in the body, and so they claim that it makes more sense to take R-dihydrolipoic acid directly, which would make it immediately useable.

After a careful review of the evidence, the team at AOR has concluded that these arguments do not hold up to scientific scrutiny. R-lipoic acid is by far the more evidence-backed supplement, and many of its key benefits – on cellular homeostasis, mitochondrial function, and perhaps aging itself – cannot be gained from substituting preformed R-dihydrolipoic acid in its place.

Read the full analysis on R-dihydro-lipoic acid (R-DHLA) here.

Please note that this is a copyrighted document. For discussion in the Forum, feel free to quote segments of the article, but please do not reproduce the original document wholesale.

To your health!

AOR

#2 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:08 PM

You guys produce excellent reviews. I love reading your magazine. Prior to reading one of your past issues I was taken in by the DIM hype, now I know I3C is the key.

Could you explain something about how sulforaphane works, I read that it induces oxidative stress and thus increases Nrf2 expression. Any help would be appreciated.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

Another question on R-ALA: Forgive if this has been covered before but could you comment on the "stability issues" of R-ALA and whether K-R-ALA has any additional benefits.

The question is addressed to AOR support.

#4 AORsupport

• Topic Starter
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:27 PM

Another question on R-ALA: Forgive if this has been covered before but could you comment on the "stability issues" of R-ALA and whether K-R-ALA has any additional benefits.

You're forgiven :).

http://www.imminst.o...t=0

The issue of R-LA's tendency to polymerize (which I take to be that to which you refer in saying that RLA is "unstable") has to be taken seriously, but should not be exaggerated. If one starts with quality materials and does one's due dilligence in manufacturing and storage, there is no reason to be concerned about its stability. AOR has 1 and 2 year results for AOR R(+)-LA capsules and OrthoMind (which is a mixed product and thus more likely to run into problems, especially because of the ALCAR salt used, which is hygroscopic (a problem shortly to be remedied)) stored at controlled room temperature (<21°C) which show negligible polymerization. If the capsules are refrigerated, as we encourage, the issue is even less significant...

This [sinterization] problem is serious, but it can be avoided by first choosing encapsulation instead of tabletting, and by then using the right procedures to both avoid elevated temperatures and to take other steps to minimize polymerization. When the final capsule does not have the sinterized material (the result of gumming and polymerization of RLA), none of the above applies. AOR took some time, and threw out several pilot batches, to first produce and then scale up, procedures to soundly encapsulate (not tablet) RLA.

As the op cit Hagen and Ames studies show, even a relatively crude mixture of RLA into rodent chow allows for absorption of RLA and consequent "rejuvenation" of old organisms...

That isn't quite correct. First, as stated, it again exaggerates the intractability of the problem. As Ames' patent states,

LA suffers from certain disadvantages, however. In particular, the natural form R-LA is unstable above 40° C, so it can degrade under some warehousing conditions. Also LA is hygroscopic. What is needed is stabilization of this natural form of LA with a natural salt.

The temperature issue is readily addressed. It is harder, but not impossible, to overcome the hygroscopicity problem as well. These are particularly difficult issues for the Juvenon product (marketed under agreement with Dr. Ames), for two reasons. First is the fact that they tablet the stuff, which leads to polymerization during the manufacturing process itself due to high heat (as documented above). Second is the high ratio of RLA to ALCAR hydrochloride (which is highly hygroscopic itself) in their product. To be clear, this ratio is ideal from a dosing perspective, but to combine this much RLA with ALCAR and nothing else in one tablet draws in a lot of moisture, greatly increasing polymerization.

In their animal studies, Hagen and Ames solved this problem by administering RLA and ALCAR separately despite the inconvenience ...

http://www.imminst.o...t=0

As you may know, "straight" R(+)-lipoic acid has the unfortunate tendency to polymerize unless it is kept cool. It also tends to react when combined in a capsule or tablet with ALCAR -- ironically, granted the importance of the ALCAR/R-LA "cocktail."  Moreover, when R-LA is put into a tablet, it has a strong tendency toward  sinterization, leading to reduced bioavailability.

All of this severely constrains formulators wanting to use R-LA in their supplements (unless, of course, they just don't know or don't care what they're doing).  This is, in fact, why a Bruce Ames-affiliated company has been using the racemate in their ALCAR/lipoic acid pills, despite the fact that Dr. Ames himself is fully aware of the superiority of the R(+)-enantiomer, as he explained at the International Association of Biomedical Gerontology conference in 2003.

Various R-LA salts, including the potassium salt, are to a greater or lesser degree immune from these problems. AOR's current R(+)-lipoic acid supplements use K-R-LA, and (if the results of some formulation work which we have contracted turns out as we anticipate) we will shortly begin using what we anticipate to be an even more stable, versatile salt.

[Note that this was written  Jul 16, 2004; we are no longer using the potassium salt, because we found the stability of the straight acid to be acceptable and less bulky, but still intend to move to the new salt in 2005 -AOR, 2005-01-21]

To your health!

AOR

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

Thanks.

I really should look into something for the alzheimers :)

#6 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

Please note that this is a copyrighted document. For discussion in the Forum, feel free to quote segments of the article, but please do not reproduce the original document wholesale.
AOR

No need to state this AORsupport.

#7 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:05 AM

Great article AOR.

I wonder if LEF or AOR will do research into R-Dihydrolipoic acid to see if it is effective orally.

Time will tell.

#8 longevityqueen

• 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:14 AM

After a careful review of the evidence, the team at AOR has concluded that these arguments do not hold up to scientific scrutiny. R-lipoic acid is by far the more evidence-backed supplement, and many of its key benefits – on cellular homeostasis, mitochondrial function, and perhaps aging itself – cannot be gained from substituting preformed R-dihydrolipoic acid in its place.

Read the full analysis on R-dihydro-lipoic acid (R-DHLA) here.

I have been reading about r-lipoic acid on this forum, I use AOR's product, and just became a member. When this was first posted, I clicked on the link provided above to read the full article which I found very interesting. I was talking about the issue of RLA and R-DHLA with a friend, and when I returned here, the link takes me to a completely different article. Is there some way to access the original article that was available on this topic? Is there a reason I can no longer get there? I hope than AOR, or someone here, can provide me with this information. Thanks.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 nagaki

• 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

AOR,
I haven't seen a response to this question from you about where to find this information.
I am also interested in this article, could you please provide a link to it or post it here?
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users