• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Registered Users

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Registered Users (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Registered Users

1. I'm broke (26 votes [47.27%])

Percentage of vote: 47.27%

2. Costs to much (5 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. I support Imminst in my own way (5 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. No real benefit over a registered user (19 votes [34.55%])

Percentage of vote: 34.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

Comments.....

Edited by Mind, 08 February 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#2 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

If I weren't saving for college or spending so much money on supplements, I would contribute. In fact, I still might.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

LifeMirage,
May I ask why did you start the topic in the Supplements forum...?

Just wondering...

Yours
~Infernity

#4 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Membership payment is only by paypal, and paypal doesn't support my country (as many other). I sent message to ImmInst regarding this but never received reply.

#5 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:29 AM

I posted here because some posters only post or read here.

#6 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:33 AM

...And don't you think you have just pretty much answered why these members aren't becoming full members? [huh]

Yours
~Infernity

#7 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

Well Da_sense's answer poses a problem in my opinion.

Anyone with funds should be able to become a full member.

I would like to see what people have to say as far as what would like, want, or expected after becoming a full member.

#8 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

To the Complaints Forum suggestion topic

However, those who read and post only in this section, obviously doesn't have much motivation to become a full member as he is interested only in supplements, nootropics, brain enhancers etc.
So if the question was referred mostly to them (which I believe so, since you've chosen to create it here so these people will notice, and post their reason) - I believe it was a little needless...

At any rate, it helped bringing up a member's problem, that's good. That's why I created this topic

Yours
~Infernity

#9 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:42 PM

However, those who read and post only in this section, obviously doesn't have much motivation to become a full member as he is interested only in supplements, nootropics, brain enhancers etc.
So if the question was referred mostly to them (which I believe so, since you've chosen to create it here so these people will notice, and post their reason) - I believe it was a little needless...

They obviously have some interest in their health, I'll see if I can motivate them to change..

#10 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:12 PM

I personally got interested in all antiaging, health, quality of life stuff thru supplements. It's easiest way to start. You hear some pills will do that and that, so you go ahead spend some money on it and hope for the best. But some of us start to wonder how it really works, why it happens etc etc and you start researching. Probably for most of the people supplements are easiest way to achive longer/better life without thinking too much about it...so I think I see LifeMirages logic here...

#11 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:13 AM

Also consider this is the most active forum on Imminst.

It has the most replies and topics.

#12 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

They obviously have some interest in their health, I'll see if I can motivate them to change..

Ah, that's great [thumb]

I personally got interested in all antiaging, health, quality of life stuff thru supplements. It's easiest way to start. You hear some pills will do that and that, so you go ahead spend some money on it and hope for the best. But some of us start to wonder how it really works, why it happens etc etc and you start researching. Probably for most of the people supplements are easiest way to achive longer/better life without thinking too much about it...so I think I see LifeMirages logic here...

Hmm, looking forward to see you more.

Also consider this is the most active forum on Imminst.

It has the most replies and topics.

Heh yes, weired isn't it? [tung]

Yours
~Infernity

#13 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:51 AM

I am more interested in supplementation. However, I getting more interested in the whole group itself. I find that this should not be a problem whatsoever, so long as supplementation is a part of imminst. I guess I would be a good non-full member. I contribute good posts to one a particular area but not the whole institute....

pinball

#14 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:55 AM

Guilty as charged. I voted for " no real benefits over basic membership" only because I haven't as yet made the time to peruse the whole forum. That may change if I get more free time, and if that becomes the case, then I may very well upgrade to full membership because ImmInst.org is an interesting and valuable resource. Your posts in particular are interesting because of your vast knowledge and experience with supplements. It would be nice though if there were additional benefits offered to full members such as the special discounts already offered by some supplement suppliers to those who are supporting members. Perhaps ImmInst.org might want to consider selling space for banner ads to these companies whose products are of interest to us as a means of generating funds.

#15 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

An important part of having a "youthful" mind is expanding it with several area of interests.

You may be surprised at what you find yourself interested in.

Edited by LifeMirage, 21 May 2005 - 10:15 AM.

#16 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

Guilty as charged. I voted for " no real benefits over basic membership" only because I haven't as yet made the time to peruse the whole forum. That may change if I get more free time, and if that becomes the case, then I may very well upgrade to full membership because ImmInst.org is an interesting and valuable resource. Your posts in particular are interesting because of your vast knowledge and experience with supplements. It would be nice though if there were additional benefits offered to full members such as the special discounts already offered by some supplement suppliers to those who are supporting members. Perhaps ImmInst.org might want to consider selling space for banner ads to these companies whose products are of interest to us as a means of generating funds.

This is concerning both ways.

I prefer Imminst not find itself full of ad's, yet funding and getting members must be addressed.

I'll talk to Relentless Improvement and Leadership to see what can be worked out.

#17 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

http://www.imminst.o...9&t=6583&hl=&s=

[huh]

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#18 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

Some people have posted supplier questions in the main forum....I have move it to a better place fitting the description of the post.

#19 seeker

• 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

LifeMirage:

A more flexible fee system and prominent announcements about supplier discounts would increase full membership rolls.

At first glance, the overall rates of $50/employed and $20/student seem reasonable. But given a closer look, that $50 is far more likely perceived as affordable to full-time employees than it is on underemployed contractors, job transitioners, pensioners and the completely jobless. A self-determined sliding scale between $20 and $50 would make full membership affordable to a great many potential members for whom money is the main obstacle. Most would likely be honest in assessing what they can afford. While the possibility for "cheating" always exists, it is likely small. Just as few if any highly-paid full-time employees taking MBA classes at night claim $20 rates under the present structure, few under a sliding scale would slide in excessively low just because they could.

Also, encourage suppliers to mention discounts for full members *early* and *often* on the nootropics board. As I mentioned elsewhere, I ordered from Unique during its recent promotion for full members. Had I been one, I would have saved $20. Had I known about it at the time, I probably would have become a full member and likely broadened my selection as well.

Well-publicized discounts from high quality suppliers like Unique would obviously be perceived as an "added benefit" over basic membership, thus addressing that concern in the poll. Add to that a sliding-scale system to address the economic factors mentioned, and few reasons would remain for not becoming a full member or at least seriously reconsidering it.

#20 vastman

• 155 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:19 AM

seeker, all good points. Actually, I'm glad Life Mirage raised this issue. I started perusing this forum several months ago when I made many life changes (at 54, better late than never!) and have spent so much time and energy learning and trying to encorporate new life enhancement regimes into my behavior that I haven't really given it a second thought until now. I definately have gotten $50 worth of value from this forum and we all have to remember that all too often things we take for granted are not always sustained into the future. Be sure you will see my upgrade soon as this forum's existance has really become a part of my quest towards better quality life experiences... In a nutshell, if I can afford Ortho-mind I should be able to skip some relatively worthless expenditure to support this fantastic clearinghouse.

As Pete is obviously a committed supplier of high quality stuff, maybe he would be willing to offer a special 15_20% off coupon to anyone upgrading their membership? This might make it a no-brainer for those of us with limited funds. While I ain't flush with $$$, I do know that the last time he offered a discount on his blog I just bought more stuff, so it might be one of those win win win situations for all. Just a thought, Pete!!!

#21 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:22 PM

I say this privately (not as a director), and others might disagree and disapprove.

Do not join

unless you realize that

1) The Mission of the Immortality Institute is the ending the blight of involuntary death. If your only interest and reason for coming here is in Smart Drugs, do not join!

2) There are indeed no real benefits in becoming a Full member. You get a book, a discount for the conference an internal forum etc. but if you are looking for a real perk, you will be disappointed. People are invited to join to show allegiance with our common goal. That should be the only consideration. If you are looking for an advantage, do not join!

On the other hand, if you really want to join and so strapped for cash that you can't even afford the $1.66 per month (yes that rate applies to everybody who is not earning a wage, irrespective of student or not), please apply for a sponsored (free) membership!

#22 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:56 PM

my sentiments exactly

#23 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

Join and help create the future!

#24 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

I am going to have to cancel for the simple fact that I was charged and billed another month automatically. It has nothing to do with the money, but everything to do with taking my money without my authorization. I signed up for a month, and only wanted a month at a time .....I didnt sign up for a second one.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 20 February 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#25 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

I can refund your payment if you wish Mike. Auto-renewal is not something that we have intentionally set-up. I'll have to go back and check for sure but I think our forum software is only set-up to send out reminders when your next payment is due, not charge automatically. I was under the assumption that the auto-renenwal option was something selected at paypal when members sign-up. The only way to end the auto-renewal, that I am aware of, is to go into your paypal account and unselect that option.

#26 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Mind is correct on Paypal, once you sign up through them they charge you on a monthly basis. But is you simply sign in to paypal, you can easily cancel a subscription right after it is created. I think it's a paypal issue not really a imminst.org issue regarding the email notifications, before being charged.

Regarding Caliban's post:
I understand his sentiments, however the idea of a member being 'generated' by a discount offered by one of the companies that offers health supplements, or other items that may increase someone's lifespan, just may fall in line with imminst.org objectives. Most folks come to the supplement section for information to try and find information on "ending the blight of involuntary death" for themselves through information on supplements and the like.

The issue is wether you would accept funds from a person who thinks about himself only, regarding longevity. As opposed to members who think about increasing lifespan for everyone. The latter is what I believe Caliban would like, however the former will likely provide more opportunities for membership.

Obviously we initiated our own 'members' only discount on a particular product, which has generated some members overtime. I think it's one of the ways we contribute to the non-profit group.

Membership:
There is only one thing I would probably allow if a person becomes a member. Allow them a much longer time to be able to edit posts after they are posted. I agree overall with Seeker and vastman regarding unique, pete, and others that could provide discounts for 'members' only folks. I don't think it's about 'smart drugs', it's about supplements that may make someone healthier in mind and body, for a longer period of time.

Remember, it usually takes baby steps in technology to get folks closer to the objectives at hand. Folks will likely be able to swallow a baby step (like resveratrol, telomerase, or gene therapy) rather than imagine a day when 'immortality' is possible, that is just too much of a stretch for most folks.

Cheers
A

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

Want to become a member can't pay with my credit card. Paypal is not friendly for international customers. Once you set it up and exhaust you availabe cash you can not add from your credit card. You need a to get verified etc..need US account etc. A real pain for international customers.

If you want more members setup credit card payment. Google payment will also work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users