Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol Revisted

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#151 wiserd

• 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:23 AM

My personal favorite resveratrol supplement is Country Life's "resveratrol plus."

It has helped improve my aerobic capacity and recover from a variety of ills.
I notice a substantial improvement, even compared to other resveratrol supplements. It
lists 'trans resveratrol' on the able as well as other constituents (grape seed and skin extract and pycnogenol from pine bark, though the 100 mg of transresveratrol is from P. cuspidatum... I don' t see why the stuff is in any way worse for that fact. )

I take about 1-2 capsules every other day mainly since I'm forgetful.

Edited by wiserd, 26 October 2008 - 01:40 AM.

#152 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:48 AM

Wow, this reminds me of good ole 2006!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#153 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

My personal favorite resveratrol supplement is Country Life's "resveratrol plus."

It has helped improve my aerobic capacity and recover from a variety of ills.
I notice a substantial improvement, even compared to other resveratrol supplements. It
lists 'trans resveratrol' on the able as well as other constituents (grape seed and skin extract and pycnogenol from pine bark, though the 100 mg of transresveratrol is from P. cuspidatum... I don' t see why the stuff is in any way worse for that fact. )

I take about 1-2 capsules every other day mainly since I'm forgetful.

Oddly, I'm just a touch suspicious of low purity resveratrol extracts. I seem to feel twinges of neuralgia and arthritis after taking them, so I now stick to the high purity forms.

#154 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

With that in mind, and given that I take Country Life Resveratrol Plus too, what other supplement would give me the grape seed extract, grape skin extract and pine bark extract if I wanted to continue with those chemicals, but get resveratrol from a more pure source?

David

#155 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

With that in mind, and given that I take Country Life Resveratrol Plus too, what other supplement would give me the grape seed extract, grape skin extract and pine bark extract if I wanted to continue with those chemicals, but get resveratrol from a more pure source?

David

Good question. Maybe this stuff.

#156 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

David

Thanks for the link. A bit expensive, but it does contain those items. I wonder how much of those things are in it? Here is a link to the label and it doesn't state the amounts.

David

#157 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

David

Thanks for the link. A bit expensive, but it does contain those items. I wonder how much of those things are in it? Here is a link to the label and it doesn't state the amounts.

David

True. If the Country Life product works for you, I guess I'd stick with it. But be careful (rather goes without saying for all supplements, I suppose).

Edited by tintinet, 30 October 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#158 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

David

David

True. If the Country Life products works for you, I guess I'd stick with it. But be careful (rather goes without saying for all supplements, I suppose).

I'm still testing the degree to which it "works". I do seem to have gotten some increased mitochondrial biogenesis out of taking it. I am in the process of trying to objectively measure this to be sure. If I do find out that Country Life did provide this benefit, then I need to do further tests on whether resveratrol alone will do it for me, or if I have to include some of the other ingredients as well. Hence my question, because if I do end up at that juncture of needing the mixture, I want to be prepared with options.

My main concern, as of late, is toxic impurities and the lack of a Certificate of Analysis (COA) for Country Life. Even if I had one, I wouldn't trust it to be pertinent to the batches I am consuming. They seem to be a reputable company, but I feel much more comfortable with hard, verifiable facts, than merely having a warm, fuzzy feeling about a company.

Back to the main question of whether these other things can be found in cheap/safe supplements, I did find some of them on the shelf in a health food store yesterday. I'm sure I'll find some on the Internet. I just haven't had time lately to look into it. I'll post here if/when I do take the time and find some.

On the topic of COAs, does anyone know of a list of companies that publish their COAs for every single batch they produce? I'd much rather pick my supplements out of this list of companies than at random.

David

#159 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

David

David

IIRC, NOW Foods will send a COA of anything they produce. Revgenetics, also, AFAIK, has a COA for every batch of product they sell.

True. If the Country Life products works for you, I guess I'd stick with it. But be careful (rather goes without saying for all supplements, I suppose).

I'm still testing the degree to which it "works". I do seem to have gotten some increased mitochondrial biogenesis out of taking it. I am in the process of trying to objectively measure this to be sure. If I do find out that Country Life did provide this benefit, then I need to do further tests on whether resveratrol alone will do it for me, or if I have to include some of the other ingredients as well. Hence my question, because if I do end up at that juncture of needing the mixture, I want to be prepared with options.

My main concern, as of late, is toxic impurities and the lack of a Certificate of Analysis (COA) for Country Life. Even if I had one, I wouldn't trust it to be pertinent to the batches I am consuming. They seem to be a reputable company, but I feel much more comfortable with hard, verifiable facts, than merely having a warm, fuzzy feeling about a company.

Back to the main question of whether these other things can be found in cheap/safe supplements, I did find some of them on the shelf in a health food store yesterday. I'm sure I'll find some on the Internet. I just haven't had time lately to look into it. I'll post here if/when I do take the time and find some.

On the topic of COAs, does anyone know of a list of companies that publish their COAs for every single batch they produce? I'd much rather pick my supplements out of this list of companies than at random.

David

#160 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

David

IIRC, NOW Foods will send a COA of anything they produce. Revgenetics, also, AFAIK, has a COA for every batch of product they sell.

Do you know if NOW Foods will send a COA for each batch? I know RevGenetics does, but they don't have all the stuff I want. :) I hope they become a model for the other supplement makers.

David

#161 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

David

Do you know if NOW Foods will send a COA for each batch? I know RevGenetics does, but they don't have all the stuff I want. ;) I hope they become a model for the other supplement makers.

David

They've done so when I've requested COAs from them via email.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#162 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

David

Do you know if NOW Foods will send a COA for each batch? I know RevGenetics does, but they don't have all the stuff I want. ;) I hope they become a model for the other supplement makers.

David

They've done so when I've requested COAs from them via email.

That is encouraging! So you just took the batch number off the bottle and emailed them and they emailed you back the COA?

Thanks,
David

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users