• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The Future has a PR Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 staphx

• Guest pain in the ass
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 06:28 AM

The Future has a PR Problem:

Names like ‘the Extropy Institute’ and “World Transhumanist Association” are scary. The terms ‘genetic engineering’, ‘cyborg’, ‘nanotech’, ‘artificial intelligence’, all carry negative connotations and associated imagery among the general American & European populaces.

We have to stop scaring people. We have already scared many intelligent and influential people who feel that their anti-progress efforts are for the common good. It’s bad enough that people like the odious Dr. Kass exist; we don’t need to turn good but misguided people against us as well.

We’ve all seen the rampaging robots and evil AI’s that are part and parcel of mindless Hollywood attempts at science fiction. We’ve read Michael Crichton fictionalize a powerful nanotechnology, one which in said fictional portrayal was developed to the point of being able to cure AIDS, cancer, and all of the infectious horrors of this world, and turn it into the stuff of nightmares. And what a superficially convincing and powerful nightmare “Prey” is; Crichton is a cultural heavyweight indeed.

I will not address the issue of religious fundamentalists here. They do not deserve even cursory attention in respect to their points of view.

I will at this point offer some suggestions regarding the various issues above.

General Artificial Intelligence => non-biological person
Nanotech => molecular technology
The Singularity => the new golden age, the new renaissance
Genemod lifeform => enhanced plant, enhanced animal, etc.
Cyborg => (suggestions?)
Uploading => transferring, ‘new afterlife’?? (suggestions?)
Genemod human => gifted?

Of course there are many potential ‘scare-words’ that I have omitted here.

Scare-words are bad, Scare-names are worse. EXI, WTA, SIAI, and many other Transhumanist organizations have very scary names indeed. To those of us who are used to such ideas and goals, these terms and words and concepts feel completely natural. Many of us work in the sciences; many of us teach or are students. A good number have devoted their lives to medicine, whether it is saving lives in the OR or in the lab. Almost without exception, we are well educated, formally, self-taught, or a combination of both. We watch or read the news. We appreciate and often create art, literature, etc. Some of us believe in God, some don’t. Those who believe are sincere and thoughtful in their faith, not intolerant and judgmental.

The traits I listed above are not those of the general population. I know this all sounds very elitist, and I don’t care. It is elitist. In America’s anti-intellectual society, a charge of elitism is a grave one. But without elitism, we would still be on the savannah, gathering fruits and berries and hunting Gazelle. I do not look down on people who live in such societies – they generally lead very fulfilling, rich lives. They matter to their society, and their society acknowledges and rewards this fact. This is not a common feeling among the citizens of the first world.

But make no mistake; an intelligent species that stays at its baseline non-technological social state is doomed unless a friendly alien intelligence drops by. Ironically, the dolphins are quite lucky to be coexistent with us. There is a harsh reality here: any lifeform that never gets off it’s home planet is an evolutionary dead-end.

Elitism pervades everything we do. If it didn’t we wouldn’t go to a doctor when we are sick, and we would invite burger-flippers to speak at graduations. Democracy is wonderful as long as the rights of the minority are upheld. Those who generally subscribe to the ideals and goals of transhumanism are a minority, and our rights are under attack. Simple rights like the right to live free of disease and physical & mental suffering.

The best outcome is if all of the things I talked about involving off shore research and the like were unnecessary. The only way that will happen is by changing the system, and the best but hardest way to do that is by working within the system. I have discussed subversion and defiance as a solution to both problems visited thus far, and I will return to such topics again. For now I will address traditional forms of activism and protest, and political organization

#2 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:33 AM

Great article, Staphx, looking forward to your larger piece. Let me give my opinion on it. :) Sadly, I see very little of these PR issues changing. We can change our lexicons incrementally, but that's about it. The plus side of all this scariness is that it confirms that those who *do* wander into our corner of memespace are serious about the concepts and ready to discuss them in spite of any implicit scariness. Here are some suggestions on terminology:

General Artificial Intelligence => nonbiological person, autonomous intelligence, substrate-independent intelligence, nonhuman person, software-seeded person/intelligence

Nanotech => molecular nanotechnology
Is "nanotech" really that scary? This is starting to become part of common culture...

The Singularity => the new golden age, the new renaissance
I think calling the Singularity the "new golden age" or the "new renaissance" is somewhat inappropriate. All of these still have religious connotations, and completely mischaracterize the fundamental essence of the Singularity. "The Spike" is the friendly term which Damien Broderick uses, although I don't see that catching on. Since the further consequences of the Singularity (a single event, the creation of transhuman intelligence) have to do with superintelligent resources being applied to the solving of human problems, and a genuine change from the pre-superintelligent world, it's hard to call it something that implies a continuation of what went on before. I just don't know.

Genemod lifeform => enhanced plant, enhanced animal, etc.
"Nature-friendly genetic engineering"?

Cyborg => (suggestions?)
Transbiological human?

#3 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:52 AM

The plus side of all this scariness is that it confirms that those who *do* wander into our corner of memespace are serious about the concepts and ready to discuss them in spite of any implicit scariness.

Hi Michael.

I agree with this paragraph....but I wouldn't underestimate the power of our cause to "Influence" others to join our movement -I just think we have to offer more of a "Mainstream" alternative. Keep in mind that people on these forums are here because of personal experiences, and the fact that they are different, -in a variety of ways. Think about it. Most people don't participate in any kind of critical thinking, so why would they join these forums [?] Or any forums [?] We need to give the so-called "Average" people, as stereotypical as that might sound -a way to participate, without having to dedicate so much time & talent.....most people would even consider just reading a newsletter time-consuming, so.....you know....

Also, don't forget that making money selling products is another way to "Drum up support", while funding iniatives at the same time. (Most people define themselves through their spending/purchasing, as sad as that may be.)

Sadly, I see very little of these PR issues changing.  We can change our lexicons incrementally, but that's about it.

You could very well be right about this, Michael, but I've tried to counter this popular belief on these forums -a number of times already. I believe that we can't discount how important it would be to become more "Mainstream". Like Staphx, -I believe we should become more mainstream, but I was more specific: I believe we should use government to accomplish our goals faster, by pursuing changes in policies, and funding formulas, -to fund reasearch and advertise. (Propaganda, if you like.)

I agree that money will become less important as we go along, but we could use more of it to fund the research computers cannot yet accomplish. The "Business leaders" infiltrate our government. Why can't immortalists, transhumanists do the same thing [?] Surely our brains would ovecome any obstacles, eventually, that could prevent us from doing this. Afterall, the tobacco industry, among others, convinced governments to allow them to proliferate in the first place, almost (but not quite) to the point of no return. These people helped the government sell a lie, (and vice versa) -despite the obvious facts. (that were suspected all along.) I believe people are more afraid of truth than myth, but couldn't our brain power sell people "The truth" [?] It can't be impossible.

Oh yeah-BTW, I responded on February 13th to your last post in the "Memento Mori" thread -in case you missed it....not that I expected a quick response......my post was rather long. [blush]

Exeunt.

sponsored ad

• Advert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users