• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Second Geoethical Nanotech. Workshop(w/ Photos)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:17 AM

Second Geoethical Nanotechnology Workshop to Explore Ethics of Neuronanotechnology and Future Mind-Machine Interfaces

Public Invited Via Conference Call on July 20

MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla., July 13 /PRNewswire/ -- The Terasem Movement announced today that its Second Geoethical Nanotechnology workshop will be held July 20, 2006 in Lincoln, Vermont. It will explore the ethics of neuronanotechnology and future mind-machine interfaces, including preservation of consciousness, implications for a future in which human and digital species merge, and dispersion of consciousness to the cosmos, featuring leading scientists and other experts in these areas.

The workshop proceedings are open to the public via real-time conference call and will be archived online for free public access. The public is invited to call a toll-free conference-call dial-in line from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET.

Callers from the continental US and Canada can dial 1-800-967-7135; other countries: (00+1) 719-457-2626.

Each workshop presentation is designed for a 15-20 minute delivery, followed by a 20 minute formal question and answer period, during which time questions from the worldwide audience will be invited. Presentations will also be available on the workshop's website at http://www.terasemce...gn2program.html or http://terasemfounda...rg/program2.htm .

This year's speakers by order of presentation are: Nobel Laureate in Medicine Baruch Blumberg, M.D., Ph.D., Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia,; Prof. Jack Tuszynski, Department of Physics, University of Alberta; Randal Koene, Ph.D., Center for Memory & Brain, Boston University; Ben Goertzel, Ph.D., Novamente LLC & Biomind LLC; Ray Kurzweil, Kurzweil Technologies; William Sims Bainbridge, Ph.D., National Science Foundation; Marshall Brain, Founder, "How Stuff Works"; Nancy J. Woolf, Ph.D., Department of Psychology, UCLA; Zack Lynch, President, NeuroInsights; and Wrye Sententia, Ph.D., Director, Center for Cognitive Liberty & Ethics.

For additional information, please contact: Loraine Rhodes at 321-676-3690, ext 100, or lori@terasemcentral.org .

About the Terasem Movement

The Terasem Movement, Inc., is a 501©(3) not-for-profit charity endowed for the purpose of educating the public on the practicality and necessity of greatly extending human life, consistent with diversity and unity, via geoethical nanotechnology and personal cyberconsciousness. The Terasem Movement accomplishes its objectives by convening publicly accessible symposia, publishing explanatory analyses, conducting demonstration projects, issuing grants and encouraging public belief in a positive technologically- based future.

For more information, please visit http://www.terasemcentral.org or http://terasemfoundation.org .

SOURCE Terasem Movement, Inc.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:32 AM

Nice! I like the toll free number thing. For anyone that wants to listen to it on their computer in real time (not wait for them to be archived to the internet), they can use Skype, which offers free calls to landlines (and 1-800 numbers like this) from within the US and Canada.

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:22 AM

Looks like it is going to be starting in about 7.5 hours. I am going to try to listen to at least part of it, anyone else going to be listening?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

Susan and I returned home last night from this event. I plan to upload a few pics and post a short review soon.

#5 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

I kick myself for not taking more pictures of Martine and Bina Rothblatt's Terseam Foundation VT retreat. However, here are the pics I did take of the attendeess:

Posted Image
Martine Rothblatt: Founder Terasem Foundation, Nancy Woolf

Posted Image
Martine Rothblatt, Nancy Woolf, Ben Goertzel, Barry Blumburg

Posted Image
Amara D. Angelica, Mrs. Blumberg, Bruce Duncan, Martine Rothblatt is behind Lori Rhodes(aqua w/ black skirt)

Posted Image
Susan Fonseca-Klein on couch with Casey Lynch

Posted Image
Susan Fonseca-Klein, Ray Kurzweil

Posted Image
Ben Goertzel, Ray Kurzweil

Posted Image
Ray Kurzweil, Susan Fonseca-Klein, Bruce Klein (taken by Ben Goertzel, who got us to smile quite nicely)

#6 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Powerpoints have been uploaded:
http://www.terasemce...gn2program.html

#7 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

Thanks, Bruce! It looked really good...I wish I could have been there to meet Kurzweil and many others too...

#8 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Thanks, Adam... Ben, Susan and I had a nice dinnner with Ray, where we talked about all manner related to Singularitarianism and a good bit about Novamente.

#9 chestnut

• 152 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

We ALSO talked about ImmInst [thumb]

#10 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

:)

We also thanked Ray for contributing his essay, Human Body Version 2.0 to our first book.

#11 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

:)

We also thanked Ray for contributing his essay, Human Body Version 2.0 to our first book.

Why hasn't he signed up for a membership yet? I think his membership might qualify for "honorary" member status (in line with Dr. de Grey)?

#12 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:08 AM

Why hasn't he signed up for a membership yet? I think his membership might qualify for "honorary" member status (in line with Dr. de Grey)?

I have been wondering the exact same thing for some time, it would be fantastic. Was there any mention of him becoming an ImmInst member, Bruce? Nice to see you again Susan :).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users