• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

HHO

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

Denny Klein (I am guessing no relation to Bruce) created a novel form of water where the Hs are bonded to the O in a different way that makes it react very differently then water. It is created though electrolysis of water like separating H2 and O2 normally, but there is a twist (haven't read the whole paper yet) that instead creates HHO gas without the energy requirements for evaporation. The gas can be burned as a cold flame, but when it hits a material it instantly can reach temps of 10,000F depending on the material. Mr. Klein created it for welding, but as anyone can see it has a vast number of uses including water as a new fuel (it is not over unity you still need input).

I think this is one of those things that does not look important to people now, but is really revolutionary. I hope a big company does not buy up the rights and silence it like has happened to so many other novel inventions that could challenge the oil/auto industry.

http://hytechapps.com/index.html

#2 mikelorrey

• 131 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

This is merely electrolysed water, hydrogen and oxygen gasses mixed together. It also markets under a similar scam called "Brown's Gas", with tin foil hatters purporting its superiority as a welding gas. Absolutely bogus, beyond being purely hydrogen+oxygen combustion, which does have a heat of combustion around 6500 degrees. Furthermore, it is extremely dangerous to store these gasses mixed together, a single static discharge could cause a serious explosion (think Hindenberg Disaster).

Purely cargo-cult pseudo science.

#3 rahein

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

Check out this clip. It shows them using it to cut metal, brick and coal. It sublimates the surface it is used on. Also the gas is not stored anywhere, it is generated on demand, so I don't see any anger of explosion.

http://youtube.com/w.....h=water power

If this is just BS and would appricate a link that explains why it is BS.

Science today is to quick to discredit new ideas that don't fit in the current model of how things work. Every question and invention is a valid canadite to research. If it is wrong it WILL be disproven.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mikelorrey

• 131 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

Check out this clip. It shows them using it to cut metal, brick and coal. It sublimates the surface it is used on. Also the gas is not stored anywhere, it is generated on demand, so I don't see any anger of explosion.

http://youtube.com/w.....h=water power

If this is just BS and would appricate a link that explains why it is BS.

Science today is to quick to discredit new ideas that don't fit in the current model of how things work. Every question and invention is a valid canadite to research. If it is wrong it WILL be disproven.

I'm the last person to accuse of scientific dogmatism, I tend to have an open mind, but at the same time, actually try to deeply investigate anything making extraordinary claims. Brown's Gas has been around for decades, it is now making the rounds as "Klien's Gas" because the term "Brown's Gas" has been so thoroughly debunked all across the internet at least since the mid-1990's. Old scam, new name.

As one of the few people on this board who actually does have welding and plasma cutting experience, I can tell you that that video is no great shakes.

ALL cutting torches sublimate the surface they are used on. You don't even need to use the hydrogen in the gas to do it. Once you've gotten your base material hot enough, just running pure O2 through your torch with no flame will keep the cutting going, since the O2 combusts with the material being cut.

http://www.tinaja.co...ib/bashpseu.pdf
"Brown’s Gas– The classic stoichiometric mix of nearly two
parts of hydrogen to one part of oxygen by volume has
many unusual and easily misinterpreted properties. The
colorless flame burns quite hot but has amazingly low heat
energy. Actual flame temperature is extremely difficult to
measure. An illusion of tungsten melting can be created by
reversible sublimination side reactions. An illusion of an
implosion can be created by post-condensation effects.
Electrolysis generation is up to one sixth endothermic,
creating apparent "stays cool" heat anamolies. The current
waveforms can be deceptively nonlinear, leading to severe
power measurement difficulties.
Brown’s gas proponents claim that "something different"
is created by minor waveform modifications. This new gas
is claimed to burn at exceptionally high temperatures, has
huge quantities of long term monatomic gases, offers an
"overunity" efficiency and eliminates radioactivity.
Sadly, in the three decade history of Brown’s gas, neither
the temperature nor its composition has ever been properly
measured. Neither have any demonstrable "double blind"
differences ever been shown from plain old stoke gas with
regard to properties or generation. At least not to standards
that would get you a C- in ChemLab 101.
Hydrogen generation by electrolysis is inherently an
integration. Integrations tend to go well out of their way to
reduce or eliminate minor waveform differences, rather
than elaborating upon them. Finally, not one single peer
reviewed paper has ever appeared on what would certainly
be a fundamental breakthrough in physical chemistry."

On the true origins of "Brown's Gas":

"Dear Eric,

I worked with a researcher & manufacturer of hydrogen/oxygen gas generators during the mid- 1980's. I am a welding engineer and entered that particular business fresh from a senior technical position of 10 years with a prominent fortune 500 group. I eventually left the hydroxy gas generator industry in 1990. During my tenure with the company I co-authored several patents related to combustion modification and flame thermal map manipulation of stoichiometric 2H2O2 gas mixtures. At this time I became directly involved in litigation proceedings with Yull Brown. Unfortunately, my colleagues and I wasted a considerable sum of money investigating Brown and his mostly ridiculous claims.

Hearing Brown referred to as a "Bulgarian physicist", "world famous scientist" etc. is extremely nauseating bull****, the man had been coaxing money from gullible investors, morons and unfortunately, innocent little old ladies in Australia for years in the late '70's and mid '80's. Brown asserted that he had been for many years, a professional electrical engineer with Asea Brown Boveri (ABB). It was discovered however, that Brown was formerly employed by ABB as a somewhat more lowly, electrician. Furthermore, Brown unashamedly claimed the title of 'professor' (bestowed by the University of Life Sciences). When contacted in 1986, the 'University of Life Sciences" was actually a residential address (Chicago I recall), a housewife answers the telephone, she knew of Brown because he and the woman's husband had set up this "university". (her husband by the way, was unable to come to the phone because he was actually at his daytime job driving a truck somewhere). Professor ? - yeah, right!

Brown liked to quote Dr. John Bokris. I contacted Dr. Bokris at Texas A & M University in 1986. He knew of Brown but denied supporting his claims or having any involvement with Brown other than allowing Brown to store one of his primitive machines at the (rented) office at Texas A & M.

Brown 'borrowed' his electolytic cell from an expired patent (Rhodes, I believe) who was possibly the forerunner at the Heynes Company (nice guys-producing good quality,small machines for the jewellery industry in the U.S. since the '60's). In latter years his cell designs were I believe, probably borrowed from the preliminary concentric nested tubular designs of "Dr". Alvin Crosby in New Zealand. "Dr." Crosby was originally one of Brown's licensees but was forced to radically re-design Brown's machine to make it work. I became friendly with Crosby and subsequently discovered he was not a "doctor" - his sole qualification was that of automobile electrician. The "doctor" handle was used to lend credibility to "The Brown Gas Roadshow".

I object most strongly to the term "Brown's Gas" - who did he think he was ? Faraday ? Cavendish ?
Using funding from a prominent New York merchant bank, we experimented at great length with proper controls and documentation, at times borrowing expensive equipment from Auckland University's physics dept. to compile data with one aim : to develop this technology to a level where it could compete with, or supersede 'standard' metalworking industry practice for oxyfuel cutting, welding and brazing. We spent several million dollars over the course of this research.

There is nothing 'wonderful' or 'not fully understood' about the combustion characteristics of the stoichiometric mixture 2H2O2. The flame burns with a comparitively low 'specific heat' per unit volume making it impractical / uneconomical for most commercial ferrous metal working businesses. Acetylene derives enormous 'specific heat' via breaking of its triple bond. There is no way, that a hydroxy flame can compete in speed or labor with LPG or acetylene for oxyfuel gas cutting and most brazing applications, even with vapour entrainment of a wide variety of hydrocarbons including alyphatics, aromatics even double-bondeds like Toluene (methyl benzene) or the ketones, as well as alcohols to boost specic heat. In a steel cutting operation each torch will require a minimum 2000 litres/hour of hydroxy fired through the preheat slots of a modified LPG cutting tip (or un-modified MAPP) to even come close to LPG/02 oxyfuel cutting performance. Sublimate tungsten ? read oxidation !

A potential customer would be better off investing in an pressure-swing adsorption oxygen unit and LPG fuel for oxyfuel production cutting systems.

I snickered when I read that people had been trying to fusion weld steel plate with 2H2O2. Just use electric arc in its many different forms MA, MIG/MAG,FCAW,TIG...it is faster, stronger, cheaper and cleaner. If you need to fusion weld thin steel with 2H2O2 it is possible. Methanol entrainment is something "Professor/Doctor/Engineer/Famous Scientist/Electrician" BROWN probably flogged during the discovery procedure for his litigation. What dickhead Brown did not comprehend is that you must use A.W.S.- ER70s-6 wire which is alloyed with maximum deoxidant for mig welding rusty steel plates under a CO2 atmosphere. This wire is a common, cheap MIG wire but will (in a limited way) compensate for the lack of CO & gaseous compound interforms in the flame mantle that normally envelop and shield the weld during acetylene/oxygen welding. - precisely the same reasons why you cannot fusion weld steel effectively with LPG/OXY. Brazing most metals (of low mass) is easy, just use flux either applied externally or as a core inside the filler rod. Accordingly, this type of equipment only has a limited place in a NICHE market.

Brown attracted the "nutters" and "fringe people" with his banter of the "golden mean", free energy, atmospheric motors, passive radiators and of course, he would identify the dullards and latch on to them quickly. I must say that it is really gratifying that wankers like Pat Robertson got taken for big dollars....... tee hee hee. Brown must be laughing his tittys off in that hot 'ol place where his soul (assuming he had one) now resides. After all, the original suckers in Australia and in latter times the U.S., proved to be the bounteous hosts on which he, the Bulgarian electrician with the Bulgarian name, Brown ? fed - and fed really well.

.........Know-all "

#5 rahein

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for posting this.

Do you know why no scientist has tried to figure it out? It seems at least like an interesting phenomena. Thinks that don't quite fit with current theory are great ways to refine those theories.

I don't see anything that addressed why it is not useful though. If it can cut metal why not use it instead of toxic substances? To costly in energy maybe?

#6 mikelorrey

• 131 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

It isn't useful because hydrogen-oxygen combustion of its very low specific heat, compared to acetylene. Many scientists HAVE figured it out, which if you'd actually read my response, you'd see. Sounds to me like you're just trying to up the google ratings of some quack site. Only scientific illiterates buy into the Browns Gas hoax.

#7 rahein

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

So I come here asking a question about science and I get accused of being scientifically illiterate and trying to get the page rank for s quack site up. Nice.

If you have read any of my other posts you would see that I have a degree in CS and am constantly trying to think of ways to promote scientific literacy. Asking questions is a great way to learn, which is what I did. Also I try to promote ImmInst, as well as other transhuman sites, page rankings. I don’t care about this one thing I just hate seeing real tech (not that this is) get suppressed because it does not fit in the scientific norm.

I admit I did not have time to read your entire post, just the first part. A 1500 word post is a bit much when the last few paragraphs can explain it.

Please take your trolling elsewhere.

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

There was a blog entry about this over at Betterhumans yesterday.

#9 mikelorrey

• 131 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:14 AM

So I come here asking a question about science and I get accused of being scientifically illiterate and trying to get the page rank for s quack site up. Nice.

If you have read any of my other posts you would see that I have a degree in CS and am constantly trying to think of ways to promote scientific literacy. Asking questions is a great way to learn, which is what I did. Also I try to promote ImmInst, as well as other transhuman sites, page rankings. I don’t care about this one thing I just hate seeing real tech (not that this is) get suppressed because it does not fit in the scientific norm.

I admit I did not have time to read your entire post, just the first part. A 1500 word post is a bit much when the last few paragraphs can explain it.

Please take your trolling elsewhere.

The only person trolling here is you. You come here with absurd unscientific claims about previously debunked scam under a new name, claiming to be asking questions if we know anything about it, but then you go and ignore everything we post about how much of a scam it is. You are not interested in getting answers, you are a troll, goodbye.

#10 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:40 AM

From what I can tell, neither of you is a troll. Rahein posted something in good faith, thinking he was providing some interesting news. He apparently didn't know that it was an old scam dressed up new. Mike knew this, and informed us, and we're grateful.

Rahein isn't an expert in welding, and he's not an expert in the history of welding, so Mike, please extend a little understanding if rahein was a bit ignorant of the relevant facts.

Let's move on.

#11 Guest_milwaukee_mad_*

• Lurker

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

The Hindenberg Disaster was caused by a spark igniting the COVERING not exploding H2 look on the net for fac6ts be for posting wild statments.

also Browns Gas aka Hydroxy, HHO in most iof the time is POD (Production On Demand) so you dont have lots of gas to Explode and to reduce the liklyhood further the Cell is acrilic Pipes are anti static and there are Bubblers before the torch to catch any flash back limating it to 1L Gas or less.

have seen a car running with Hydroxy to assist the Fuel burn the result is more power more KM/L (MPG) and the egine temp is about the same. ame going to build one my self soon

R

ly electrolysed water, hydrogen and oxygen gasses mixed together. It also markets under a similar scam called "Brown's Gas", with tin foil hatters purporting its superiority as a welding gas. Absolutely bogus, beyond being purely hydrogen+oxygen combustion, which does have a heat of combustion around 6500 degrees. Furthermore, it is extremely dangerous to store these gasses mixed together, a single static discharge could cause a serious explosion (think Hindenberg Disaster).

Purely cargo-cult pseudo science.
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users