• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Wrong topic for this area.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

Wrong topic for this area. sorry.

Edited by Chip, 24 July 2005 - 03:34 AM.

#2 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:13 AM

If the aliens have a physiology dissimilar to our own, they would not tell us directly how to do it. My guess is they'd be chatting mostly about what looks to us like insanely advanced computer stuff. If we get it, then that might help, but it would also not instantly rejuvenate us...
Furthermore, it would be disappointing to have poured all that money into the antenna (rather than the IBG), only to discover that the Fermi paradox continues to hold. The existence of nearby alien civilizations that freely chat about their tech secrets on radio frequency is not something that I'd bet my life on, given the alternatives we're having.

PS: I suppose the antenna would not have to be made entirely of solid material, but rather be like a network of satellites, right?

#3 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:03 AM

It has been calculated that 4 earth diameters for such an antenna would avail us of being able to receive simple radio frequency transmissions from enough stars to find some of those "leaked" by other civilizations.

Such a calculation would presume the knowledge how likely alien civilizations are. There is no such knowledge, only guesses.
IBG is Aubrey's proposal for a massive research instituted to fix aging.

sponsored ad

• Advert

• Lurker

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

Topic moved to Physics & Space.

(this thread is about SETI not about SENS)

• Lurker

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

Despite the closed mindedness expressed in this forum by an apparent troll who has been given power to ostracize speculation, there are still those who do not embrace this dumbing down.

Your speculation has not been "ostracized" by relocation to a more relevant forum.

Chip - first and last warning - incorporating crumbs of information on SETI in order to validate the delivery of indirect insults to members and the policies of the institute will not be tolerated. Thus far your thread was moved from Biotechnology:SENS to Physics & Space because, in my view, it had absolutely not a shred of content associated with the former but included information on SETI. Speculations on the benefits that contact with extraterrestrial intelligence may bring to mankind is not related to SENS. I hope I am clear on this.

If you are unhappy with my handling of the Biotechnology forum you are welcome to address your grievances to the Directors.

#6 knite

• 296 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:15 AM

I think there is far too much assumption going on for my tastes, I can live with the assumption that there is other life out there, as there are just SO many stars, but to assume that they will be more advanced than us, have figured out specifically how to rid themselves of aging(if they even age.) AND have the ability to communicate with us, OR FTL travel, is absurd. With the knowledge of life we have of the universe now(none)its about as likely that we are the first intelligent species, OR that there are many other species that are slightly more advanced or just as advanced as we are. May as well be a belief in the afterlife.

#7 knite

• 296 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:41 PM

Absurdity is denying possibility on the basis of no evidence.

I did not deny the possibility. Im simply saying that what is happening here is like Amerigo Vespucci predicting the new world, the cultures ON the new world, their differences, languages, and that they would have a lot in common with himself.

BTW, what I share here is similar to what you share in your sig. Nice quote.

No sir, you are in the spotlight on this thread. Although in the meaning of my sig, unless you are in a high government office we all share this sig.

#8 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:06 AM

Who's the troll here?

Well, I have finished reading this thread, the third one in evidence against Prometheus by Chip in his charges against Prometheus, alias Prometheus.

I understand the troll Chip is talking about to be Prometheus, who is one of two advisors in biotechnology, the other being John Schloendorn. See this leadership link, where Harold Brenner and John Scholendorn are listed as advisors for biotechnology.

John Schlo here seemed to have a good exchange with Chip, but Prometheus moved Chip's thread here to the subforum on Physics and Space, which I think is completely within his jurisdictional responsibility, even though it is a concurrent competence with John Schlo.

QUOTE[/b] (Chip)<!--QuoteEBegin]
Your speculation has not been "ostracized" by relocation to a more relevant forum.

Chip - first and last warning - incorporating crumbs of information on SETI in order to validate the delivery of indirect insults to members and the policies of the institute will not be tolerated. Thus far your thread was moved from Biotechnology:SENS to Physics & Space because, in my view, it had absolutely not a shred of content associated with the former but included information on SETI. Speculations on the benefits that contact with extraterrestrial intelligence may bring to mankind is not related to SENS. I hope I am clear on this.

If you are unhappy with my handling of the Biotechnology forum you are welcome to address your grievances to the Directors.

I don't know about the indirect delivery of insults by Chip here, but it is completely within the competence and for a solid reason that Prometheus moved this thread from Biotech to Physics and Space -- my humble opinion.

Anyway, Prometheus did propose to Chip to bring his complaint to the directors, which Chip did in his thread on leadership not honoring...; and as far as I am aware, the directors have not yet attended to his complaint.

In the meantime Prometheus had locked up the thread of Chip on leadership not honoring; but I opened a thread in the Free Speech forum on Cool Heads for Cool Issues, to follow up on what directors will say about Chip's grievances against Prometheus.

Susma

Edited by DonSpanton, 18 July 2005 - 01:34 AM.

#9 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:22 AM

Chip,

I tried to draw your attention privately to the unhelpful nature of your comments as of late. I expect that this is your response as I received none in reply. Please be aware that the negative content of your posts is doing a disservice to the many who have come to value the efforts of the individuals who have worked to make ImmInst what it is today and the members who enjoy their time and interaction here. YOU are OUT OF ORDER and are becoming a disruptive influence whose liability outweighs the potential benefit which your obvious intellect might otherwise have offered. I for one am becoming alternately amused and very tired of your infantile tirades where before I actually read and agreed with some of what you had to say intelligently.

Your behavior is unbecoming.

Shape up.

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

Wow Chip, you just got served bro.

But seriously, Kevin is one of the mildest mannered Directors here at ImmInst. If he's gettin upset with you then you know that you're stepping over the line.

I'm curious Chip, how many forums have you been banned from in the past. Is this like you favorite past time or something, seeing how far you can push an organization before its had enough?

#11 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:04 AM

I have been banned by Grave Yard of the Gods after requesting such. I was banned from sciforums after requesting such. I was banned from Internet Infidels because I was too much of an infidel. I participate in three other forums other than this one at the moment and there is no desire by me or the staff to ban me.

Why don't you request us to ban you as you have done in other forums? I'm sure leadership would be more than willing to accomodate your desire.

It is sort of like a once promising relationship that has gone sour. Better to make a clean break, no?

#12 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:58 AM

Chip,

You keep saying you're talking to the 'staff'...

No one here is 'staff', this isn't a business and no one is getting paid. We are friends, comrades in arms in the war against blind forces which have no qualms in dealing death to all. We tolerate each other's pecadillos with an eye on the larger goal of creating a future that everyone can live with. If we aren't properly playing the roles in the script you have written out for us then you might wish to revise the screenplay, maybe open yourself up to a little enlightenment and the common sense that getting along is sometimes more important than getting your way. Or you can continue to move from group to group becoming superficially involved just long enough to get upset over something somebody said and then go haywire and create a reason to disconnect. I do hope you find a home where you can fully put the power of your passions to use. It doesn't seem to be that ImmInst is working out for you.

#13 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:49 AM

I see a breakthrough.

Good friend, Chip, pay attention to the lines in bold below, the message from Kevin.

Chip,

You keep saying you're talking to the 'staff'...

No one here is 'staff', this isn't a business and no one is getting paid. We are friends, comrades in arms in the war against blind forces which have no qualms in dealing death to all.  We tolerate each other's pecadillos with an eye on the larger goal of creating a future that everyone can live with.  If we aren't properly playing the roles in the script you have written out for us then you might wish to revise the screenplay, maybe open yourself up to a little enlightenment and the common sense that getting along is sometimes more important than getting your way.  Or you can continue to move from group to group becoming superficially involved just long enough to get upset over something somebody said and then go haywire and create a reason to disconnect.  I do hope you find a home where you can fully put the power of your passions to use.  It doesn't seem to be that ImmInst is working out for you.

Isn't that already an admission, that they do have pecadillos, and they are not properly playing the script of their own constitution and bylaws.

So, shall we move on?

Anyway there is a lot of free speech available in the section for Free Speech, where anyone can vent out his ideas and his frustrations with immunity. That's where I usually find myself, to save myself the heartache of seeing my simplistic thinking edited, or relocated, or worse, deleted.

And Chip, this is no flattery, but I do get a lot of very subtle and most perceptive insights from your observations, and your statistical approaches to some apparently very simple facts.

Didn't I say earlier somewhere here, maybe in that thread of yours about leadership not honoring user agreement, that my impression here is that there is a lot of regurgitating of concepts and positions but little of real digested materials much less proprietary new thoughts.

As usual, having said that last thought, I await the brickbats that will come my way.

Susma

#14 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

I hope everyone here is able to come to terms in some way.

Chip, you've been a member here longer than I've even heard of SENS or life extension. I've enjoyed reading your posts and I hope this argument doesn't explode into something that gets you banned.

Personally, I don't see what the fight is all about anyway.

#15 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:02 AM

(Chip)
malchiah, I appreciate the sentiment.  If I get banned for speaking truth to power, so be it.

There is a difference between speaking the truth for the truth's sake, and speaking the truth with the added intention of insulting or offending someone.

I never hold grudges and it takes alot for me to get angry at anyone, which is why I find it so difficult to understand why people can't get along. I like to speak the truth too, and I also don't care if it offends someone. But I never intentionally go out of my way to do something that will be offensive.

I'm not entirely sure of your intentions, now that I've thoroughly read both this thread and the one which has since been locked and moved to the catcher. I don't understand the argument, or the desire to continue going on about this.

And while I am trying to be sympathetic to you, I find it extremely difficult to do so when you seem to have insulted every full member of this forum, whether intentionally or not (in your posts dated Jul 12 in the locked thread). I also find it difficult to believe when you say you've never gotten anything out of these forums, because you wouldn't have posted more than 700 times in over 2 years if you didn't feel you had something to say.

Can't you and Prometheus just avoid each other or something? [huh]

#16 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

Now, back to this thread, I can see where there might be a connection between SETI and SENS, but certainly not until SETI has actually found life, sentient or otherwise.

I am extremely optimistic that there is life on other worlds, that there may have once been life on Mars, and that there may even be life elsewhere in our own solar system. But to gain any real understanding of that, and for that understanding to have a positive impact on our efforts for negligible senescence, we've got a lot of work to do.

Now, assuming we actually find simple life, how would that ultimately improve our understanding of our own bodies? Just knowing that cells can adapt to live in different environments?

Certainly, the REAL work in SENS is what intelligent alien life may know. If there is any intelligent life out there, it is logical to reason that they would have gone through all the research on SENS for themlselves, and could offer aid to our own endeavors. But some of the theories I've heard recently would suggest they know all about us, and may have even had a hand in our being here in the first place.

#17 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:07 AM

Okay, Chip. I really didn't want to bring this up and waste more time on this, but since you asked, these quotes from you are what I was referring to:

(Chip on July 15 in this thread)
Ban me and remove any and all of my posts.  I have garnered little of value from this forum and much disenchantment.  My time is better spent elsewhere to further my own immortality and that of others.

(Chip on July 12 in the locked thread)
Maybe if I play my cards right I too can become a member of the higher echelons and seek to fulfill my personal agenda with the lofty stated purpose of this forum just worthy of some lip service now and then. All I got to do is put some money down and I can go see the fun and games of the FULL MEMBER FORUM, the priviledged elite...

...Probably blew my chances to be a part of the chosen few. Looks like I'm gonna have to suffer fire and damnation while the exalted ones float up into the air to meet Jesus for the Rapture where they will get to have big 42" plasma displays and surround sound Dolby theatre presentation of the suffering low-life in all the sweat, blood and gore splendor, sipping a diet coke and nibbling on a big mac while the air conditioner keeps everything comfortably womb like. No way am I gonna make it to the next plane of existence. I have blown it royally. Excuse me. Think I'm gonna toss my cookies.

YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaa

Okay? And yes, perhaps I do have a desire to belong and find solutions to problems. Is that wrong? I've always stuck my nose where it doesn't belong. Sorry about that. :)

Now... I am as optimistic as you are. I believe all this is really out there. But, I am just so upset that it isn't happening fast enough. We went to the moon on a computer less sophisticated than an Atari 2600. Why aren't we doing anything now?

I love the fact that private corporations are finally getting involved in space, but the X Prize should have happened decades ago.

#18 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:29 AM

I was merely responding to your question. No need to get defensive. But if you prefer, I will refrain from offering you any support or sympathy in the future. I am sorry.

Edited by malchiah, 18 July 2005 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users