• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Transvision 2003 :: The Adaptable Human Body

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:10 PM

Inside the Movement for Posthuman Rights
Cyborg Liberation Front
by Erik Baard

Posted Image

Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeats's wish, expressed in his poem "Sailing to Byzantium," was a governing principle for those attending the World Transhumanist Association conference at Yale University in late June. International academics and activists, they met to lay the groundwork for a society that would admit as citizens and companions intelligent robots, cyborgs made from a free mixing of human and machine parts, and fully organic, genetically engineered people who aren't necessarily human at all. A good many of these 160 thinkers aspire to immortality and omniscience through uploading human consciousness into ever evolving machines.

The three-day gathering was hosted by an entity no less reputable than the Yale Interdisciplinary Bioethics Project's Working Research Group on Technology and Ethics; the World Transhumanist Association chairman and co-founder is Oxford University philosopher Nick Bostrom. Dismiss it as a Star Trek convention by another name, and you could miss out on the culmination of the Western experiment in rights and reason.

More: http://villagevoice..../0331/baard.php

#32 celindra

• 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 10:20 PM

The Village Voice article is a fine piece of work and very flattering toward transhumanism.

Are we on the road to legitimacy? :p

#33 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:29 AM

As James said, the 'movement' is starting to take shape. When we reach 'legitamacy' is highly speculative, but I think we're on the right road.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 12:00 AM

When I first got active in the reproductive cloning movement and commenced exploring literature on related topics like genetic engineering, I discovered the writings of Ronald Bailey.

One of the most stimulating adventures one can undertake is to go to the http://www.reason.com site and look up all the articles Ronald Bailey has written. His early take on cloning was enlightened. However, his interview with Lee Silver about "pharming" and an article about genetically engineered food entitled "Dr. Strange Lunch" are my favorites.

The only area I find myself disagreeing with Ronald Bailey is in his libertarian approach to the environment. Then again, no one is perfect.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 22 November 2003 - 04:21 AM.

#35 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 22 November 2003 - 04:30 AM

I only added the link so that it crosses back to the source randolf.
Nothing was altered for content.

(disclaimer}

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users