Photo
- - - - -

SharpPS™ gold

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

Enzymotec Corporation in Israel manufactures SharpPS™ gold.

LEF is hyping this in their Cognitex product. I cannot find a single scientific study in which this product has been shown to do anything.

They claim:

SharpPS™ gold  is the orginial form of PS on which most of clinical studies were based.

I can obtain it, in powder form -- and sell it -- for much more cheaper than LEF; but I am unsure there is any interest in this product -- or if it even does anything at all.

Does anyone have any interest or information about this product?

Peace.

Attached Files

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

Their magazine had a big article on it last month, or maybe the one before. I know that they claimed some pretty impressive results, but I forget the exact details of the study cited.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:20 AM

The only reference that might be about this specific form of PS/DHA is:

[3] Unpublished data, Enzymotec LTD., Isreal.

The rset seems to be either about PS or DHA.

#4 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

LEF hype. ;)

#5 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

I find this rhyme handy when evaluating claims for PS:

PS thats's bovine is super-fine.

PS from soy is just a ploy.

[lol]

#6 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

[lol]

;)

How about this:

Roses are red, violets are blue,

If you read LEF's magazine, don't believe it's all true!

(Sorry, I made that on the spot)

#7 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

For what it's worth below are some details of an 'internal' [:o] study Enzymotec did on a product called Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM on schoolchildren with ADHD. This product is similar to their Sharp●PS™ GOLD except the PLATINUM version is a unique PS-DHA/EPA conjugation whereas the GOLD version is simply a PS-DHA conjugation. Now the GOLD formulation is available now in Country Life's Sharp Thought product as well as being in LEF's Cognitex with NeuroProtection Complex. It may be interesting to try the PLATINUM version (if anyone knows of a source?) though it may not give better results for ADHD than simply taking the same amounts of Fish Oil and Soy-derived Phosphatidyl Serine separately... Of course Soy-derived Phosphatidyl Serine may simply be slightly beneficial for ADHD just by lowering cortisol levels a little rather than providing any other real cognitive benefits...

http://www.enzymotec.com/Page.asp

Enzymotec to expose successful ADHD trial findings

[05,2007] Enzymotec' study on the effect of Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM on ADHD schoolchildren was presented at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS), in Toronto. The study, conducted by Prof. Nachum Vaisman from the Sourasky Tel Aviv Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel, involved over sixty children, divided in 3 groups .

"Providing Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM to these children had a pronounced impact on their Test of variables of Attention (TOVA) scores, inasmuch as 60% of them presented asymptomatic total TOVA score at the end of the intervention" says Dr. Dori Pelled, Enzymotec's CTO.
"We find it very reassuring that the alleviated TOVA results, were highly correlated with the incorporation of this product into the blood components. It seems that conjugation of Omega-3s to phospholipids have a significant beneficial effect on cognitive performance." concludes Dr. Pelled.

Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM is a unique PS-DHA/EPA conjugation, based on Enzymotec's unique line of cognitive products, including : Sharp●PS™ and Sharp●PS™ GOLD , which are already being marketed in the US and elsewhere. Earlier this year , the company has announced of a second, large clinical trial, which will be conducted in Israel and will further evaluate the product efficacy on the same product.

Enzymotec (www.enzymotec.com) is an Israeli biotech company, that seeks to provide branded nutrition companies with a better value proposition in 3 main health areas: CVD management, improving cognitive performance and balanced nutrition for babies.
We do that by taking ingredients, which have already gained market and scientific acceptance, such as: DHA, PS or plant-sterols and enhance their efficacy by mode of conjugation or modification. We also increase their value proposition by investing significant resources in clinical trials, regulatory affairs and patent protection while ensuring highest quality standards.

http://www.nutrition...ok.com/news.php

Omega-3 Enriched Phospholopids Show Promise For Pediatric ADHD Patients
ISRAEL – Pediatric ADHD patients may benefit from omega-3 LC-PUFA conjugated to phospholipids (PL-Omega3) according to a study presented during the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS), in Toronto.

The study, conducted by Prof. Nachum Vaisman from the Sourasky Tel Aviv Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel, involved over sixty children, divided into three groups and randomized in a three month, double blind, placebo-controlled study. One group received PL-Omega3 (250 mg/d EPA+DHA and 300 mg/d PS), another received fish oil (250 mg/d EPA+DHA), while the control group received canola. Sustained visual attention and discrimination were objectively measured using the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA). Omega-3 LC-PUFA incorporation into blood compartments also was analyzed.

The study reported that the PL-Omega3 and fish oil treatment groups showed marked increase in plasma phospholipids omega-3:omega-6 and in EPA:arachidonic acid (AA) ratios.

The TOVA average ADHD index z score improved by 3.35 SD and 1.72 SD for the PL-Omega3 and FO groups, respectively, compared with a decline of -0.42 SD for control patients (P<0.001).

All TOVA indexes under investigation were significantly (P<0.05) improved for PL-Omega3 group (0.75 SD 1.01 SD). Accordingly, in PL-Omega3 (11/18) but not in FO (7/21) a significant (P<0.05) ratio of subjects demonstrated asymptomatic ADHD index score, compared with control (3/21). Interestingly, the increase in EPA:AA ratios was shown to correlate with ADHD index score alterations only for PL-Omega3 group. No Adverse effects were recorded.

"Providing Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM to these children had a pronounced impact on their Test of variables of Attention (TOVA) scores, inasmuch as 60% of them presented asymptomatic total TOVA score at the end of the intervention" said Dr. Dori Pelled, Enzymotec's CTO.

"We find it very reassuring that the alleviated TOVA results, were highly correlated with the incorporation of this product into the blood components. It seems that conjugation of Omega-3s to phospholipids have a significant beneficial effect on cognitive performance." concludes Dr. Pelled.

Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM is PS-DHA/EPA conjugation, based on Enzymotec's line of cognitive products, including: Sharp-PS™ and Sharp-PS™ GOLD, which are already being marketed in the US and elsewhere.

Earlier this year, the company announced a second, large clinical trial, which will be conducted in Israel and will further evaluate the product efficacy on the same product.

For more information, visit www.enzymotec.com
published date: 05-15-2007

#8 zacky

• 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

Enzymotec Corporation in Israel manufactures SharpPS™ gold. 

LEF is hyping this in their Cognitex product.  I cannot find a single scientific study in which this product has been shown to do anything.

They claim:

SharpPS™ gold  is the orginial form of PS on which most of clinical studies were based.

I can obtain it, in powder form -- and sell it -- for much more cheaper than LEF; but I am unsure there is any interest in this product -- or if it even does anything at all.

Does anyone have any interest or information about this product?

Peace.

If anyone has an interest they should buy it from a large company that does 3rd party testing like nutraplanet or bulk nutrition. I'm surprised to see you personally claim to be able to sell it super cheap when you don't have a supplement company anymore. That sounds much more like hype that the reasonable research LEF has stated based on studies done by the company. Research takes time and lots of money as with anything. Hopefully if the products sells well enough it supports their research and LEF which supports our rights to supplements.

#9 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

If the price was reasonable, I'd be quite interested in trying this.

#10 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

Is it the DHA or is it really the PS that is helping with the cog decline ? I think the PS and not the DHA. I would need to see a study showing positive effects of DHA on cog decline first.
I wouldnt just assume dha is good for the brain, research is coming out that shows epa is the active one in terms of mood, perception, memory, adhd etc.

Dr. Alexandra Richardson, Oxford university expert on fatty acid supplementation explains:

Fish oil contains two major omega-3 fatty acids: EPA and DHA. Both are necessary, but until recently, it wasn’t at all clear which of these was more important in producing the benefits reported for ADHD and related conditions. In early life, plenty of DHA is needed for the growing brain – and because this fatty acid is so important for actual brain structure, it was thought that this must be reason for the apparent benefits from fish oil.

However, the latest research makes clear that it is EPA, not DHA, which is more effective in reducing the problems with attention, perception and memory that are associated with ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia.

This is probably because EPA plays a more important role in the minute-by-minute functioning of the brain, and also helps to make many other substances (such as prostaglandins) that are crucial for proper signalling between cells.

Of the omega-3 fatty acids, the latest evidence indicates that it is EPA - not DHA - that is likely to be most beneficial for these purposes.”

#11 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:28 AM

[lol]

;)

How about this:

If caloric restriction's.
Your long-lived conviction,
Then buy Life Extension,
They'll empty your kitchen.

#12 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:33 AM

[lol]

;)

How about this:

If caloric restriction's.
Your long-lived conviction,
Then buy Life Extension,
They'll empty your kitchen.

They say its for testing, but why spend money,
When they can just claim it, and claiming is free?

#13 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

I think this may have some cognitive decline prevention ability probably only from its PS content, but I dont think it is a cognitive enhancer, in other words it might keep your IQ from declining over the years, but not boost your IQ while taking it like other nootropics. Had they used EPA/PS like they probably should have it would make an awesome product. After alot of research I personally take EPA only(no DHA) and PS together at the same time everyday. I dont know if mixing and actual preconjugation would help, it might be marketing hype as your digestion might end up conjugating them when taken togther anyway.

#14 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

Country Life do have a product available called Sharp Thought™ which does contain this 'conjugated complex' of PS and DHA ('Sharp-PS™ Gold'). I myself will probably wait until the 'conjugated complex' of PS and DHA/EPA (the formula that Enzymotec calls 'Sharp-PS™ Platinum') comes out before I try this product. That was that one that showed beneficial results on ADHD schoolchildren in their inhouse study I posted about a while back...

I wonder though how this form of PhosphatidylSerine compares to Bovine-derived PhosphatidylSerine. I mean people talk about how Soy-derived PS is ineffective compared to the Bovine-derived variety but perhaps this conjugation with DHA may boost its absorption in the brain somehow... I remember an old post from AORSupport criticising Soy-derived PS...

http://www.countryli...;Product_ID=415

Sharp Thought™
Clinically Proven to INCREASE Mental Clarity!**

Increases Focus and Concentration**
SharpThought™ contains a very special conjugated complex of Phosphatidylserine (PS) and DHA from omega-3 (Sharp-PS™ Gold). It is in this form that phosphatidylserine is found in the brain. The chemical structure more accurately resembles PS found in the brain and it is this form of PS that most clinical studies are based on. This special type of PS can increase the bioavailability of DHA to the brain.

Having the DHA woven into the backbone of the PS allows your body to immediately recognize this structure as body ready. Having this direct recognition supports the following:

Increased cognitive abilities
Faster recall
Increased DHA availability to the brain
Increased memory
This formula is not just DHA and PS simply added together as independent ingredients. Rather, the exacting science of conjugation allows you to achieve the exact form that the body can recognize. Body recognition is the key to increased cognition.**
Item #: 4947
Type: Capsule
Size: 30
Serving Size: 1 capsule

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1.00 Cap
Servings per container: 30.00

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Sharp-PS™ Gold (conjugated PS-DHA (phosphatidylserine-docosahexaenoic acid)(contains soy, lecithin, fish extracts-blue whiting, herring)) (standardized at 45% PS equal to 100 mg and 8% DHA equal to 17 mg) 223 mg

Other ingredients: Cellulose (capsule shell), cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, silica, maltodextrin.

Directions: Adults take one (1) capsule daily with food.
Other Ingredients: Cellulose (capsule shell), cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, silica, maltodextrin.

Does Not Contain: Yeast, wheat, gluten, milk, salt, starch, preservatives or artificial color.

#15 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:46 AM

Here is the only review on the net I could find for Country Life's Sharp Thought™ product (which uses Sharp-PS™ Gold alone -conjugated PS-DHA (phosphatidylserine-docosahexaenoic acid)). I am still very skeptical given my experiences with so many other supplements that claim to be an 'enhanced' version of an existing substance but who knows it may work well for some...

http://www.amazon.co...stp_st_edpp_ttl
This actually works, December 6, 2007
By S. Fowler (Wall Township, NJ) - See all my reviews
"I first got the heads up about this product at Whole Foods where it came strongly recommended from the other customers. My concentration was becoming clouded and this brought me right back down to earth. I also noticed my average score in movie trivia went up ;)"

#16 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

I actually tried a couple of bottles of the Country Life product at 200mg/day out of curiosity. I've previously used 600mg/day of "regular" PS at one point. No noticeable effects from either.

#17 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

I actually tried a couple of bottles of the Country Life product at 200mg/day out of curiosity. I've previously used 600mg/day of "regular" PS at one point. No noticeable effects from either.

ditto

#18 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Can't find it at the moment, but at nutraingredients.com there was a recent study showing that the supplier of SHARP PS had made
a new delivery system of some sort to enhance their formula even further, which could mean more space left in the capsule for other material. A quick search and you'll probably find it.

#19 shamus

• 86 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

I'd be very interested, price permitting.

Nowadays i take my PS 10 mins after my fish oil caps (5 of them).

Would this help at all bioavailibility wise?

#20 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hey Shephard and Tjcbs
just to make sure, you guys (or anyone else) could try higher doses of the Country Life Sharp Thought product. 600-800 mg a day would be ideal though it would have to be an expensive '2 bottle in 1 week' experiment unfortunately :-D Still if you find it works brilliantly for you then it might be worth the expense at such high doses- who knows right...

Below are some reviews going back 4 years+ from Bulk Nutrition regarding the NOW Foods Phosphatidyl Serine product. For reference that product contains 120 capsules in a bottle and per capsule it contains: 100 mg of Phosphatidyl Serine, 100 mg of Choline and 50 mg of Inositol. Interestingly, people seemed to be getting results of some sort when using higher doses (600-800 mg) - from improved workouts to stress reduction to mood enhancement. Now the fact that the bottle contains 120 capsules could be the reason why people could actually 'afford' and take the chance in taking such high doses for a considerable length of time...

http://www.bulknutri...?reviews_id=229
rick1447 (Tuesday 16 September, 2003):
“If you can pay the cost 800 mgs a day will save you from injury plus you grow like a monster. THis item is the missing link in power training!!”
5 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...?reviews_id=569
Chin6401 (Monday 02 February, 2004):
“Yeah, it is expensive.

The brain part - I ain't feeling very much.

Just to let you guys know. I haven't tried taking 800 mg a day yet...

Chin”
3 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...?reviews_id=797
F. Neil22398 (Thursday 25 March, 2004)
“I started out taking 300 mg a day (3X100 mg) and didn't really notice anything. I then saw an article on the web that said you need to take 500-1000 mg a day to really counteract accumulated stress and cortisol. I doubled up to 600 mg a day and have noticed a very positive improvement. By improvement I mean:
- De-stressed
- More energy
- Faster recovery from exercise”
5 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...?reviews_id=853
Kurt5516 (Monday 05 April, 2004)
“In all honesty I didn't notice anything at all when I was taking it. I was taking varied doses. First week I tried 300mg, then week after that I tried 500... then 700..... Then I ran out of pills. I think I'd rather spend my money on some protein.”
1 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...?reviews_id=880
bull82 (Sunday 11 April, 2004):
“Didnt see much in the way of muscle gains, marginal at best but damn does this stuff lift my mood! I take 400 mg a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and I feel great from it. Definitely worth the money just for this effect imo.”
5 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...reviews_id=1122
trouble (Wednesday 19 May, 2004):
“I used 300 mg (3 daily) for 2 months and noted some reduction in muscle discomfort from heavy training days.

On recommendation from this web site, I upped the daily dosage to between 400-600 mg/day and noticed a drastic improvement, with many days of little or no discomfort from intense training.

I decided to evaluate the effect of going without PS for a month. In short order, I was back to the cycle of typical muscle aches. Inflammation response was pronounced (even when taking Omega-3 oils) and muscle growth somewhat reduced - probably from a lack of quality sleep due to mild pain and inflammation (slow recovery) under moderate to intense training loads.

I also noticed the difference in mood, and note that there maybe some possible synergistic effect from use of gugglesterones and PS (better mood elevation). However, this is a speculative observation and has not been tested further for validation.”
5 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...reviews_id=3966
Robert20397 (Saturday 12 March, 2005):
“I havent tried this product in isolation - i used it with the Neural Homebrew, so my review maybe a little biased. However, it di make a marked difference to my mental capacity - I felt even more switched on when i added this stuff, and i used it when revising and taking an anatomy exam recently, in which i got 96%!. So i definately give it the thumbs up.”
4 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...reviews_id=7653
blaquekat9 (Saturday 31 December, 2005)
“good supp. when taken at 600 mg or more wich makes it expensive. i use it help with mood swings i get from test boosters and pro-hormones. seems to take the egde off keeps me from smacking dumb-fucks in the gym who are there to mingle instead of train. i also add SAM-E to the stay out of jail mix, really helps, do not want another assault case.”
4 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...eviews_id=10064
Alex57726 (Monday 08 May, 2006):
“This has to be one of my favorite supps, I owe both my degree and my masters to this keeping me sane during time of stress..let me preserve my strength and minimise muscle wastage too!

In all honesty this is the one product I will happily continue to take, along with ala both very very worthwhile (for different reasons, just products I like). As for a former reviewer, why would you take instead of protein, it's a totally different compound. This is all about preserving gains and sanity. Eliminate cortisol and your protein is made far more useful.

Works for me at 600-800mg split over two daily uses. Morning and prior to training. When studying, just take 3x200 or 4x200 dependant on length of concentrated effort. Really keeps you cool, screw using it for guys down the gym, great when stacked with gorgeous, but argumentitive girlfriends, winds them up a treat as they just can't stress me out.

In terms of training and studying 400-800mg a day will give a far better effect than ergop[harms psychotropin as you remain awake and stress free. 100% love the stuff whether it's NOW or Bulks powder, although now's is more convienient to carry round and the added choline is useful.

10 stars if poss.”
5 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...eviews_id=11740
jackrabbit (Thursday 10 August, 2006):
“I cant say i can pick out the benefits as readily as some of the other reviewers. For me I did not notice any real immediate phyisiological effect, even at 600 mg doses. It wasnt until after i was running out of them and cut down that i noticed how calm i was over the past month. You can go through this pretty quikly and is a bit pricey if that bothers you.”
4 of 5 stars

http://www.bulknutri...eviews_id=11763
MATTHEW88456 (Thursday 10 August, 2006)
“Great product on paper but you may not notice its effects until you stop using it or maybe never, but in the right doses it does work! take prior to your workout and basically it enables you to workout for alot longer that the suggested 45 mins without fear of cortisol levels rising. Ideal for long bulking workouts. MUST BE COMBINED with other products to work just like with every other supplement in existance. On its own, yes it prob wont do much. combined and you will see the results.”
5 of 5 stars

#21 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

For what it's worth below are some details of an 'internal' [:o] study Enzymotec did on a product called Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM on schoolchildren with ADHD. This product is similar to their Sharp●PS™ GOLD except the PLATINUM version is a unique PS-DHA/EPA conjugation whereas the GOLD version is simply a PS-DHA conjugation. Now the GOLD formulation is available now in Country Life's Sharp Thought product as well as being in LEF's Cognitex with NeuroProtection Complex. It may be interesting to try the PLATINUM version (if anyone knows of a source?) though it may not give better results for ADHD than simply taking the same amounts of Fish Oil and Soy-derived Phosphatidyl Serine separately... Of course Soy-derived Phosphatidyl Serine may simply be slightly beneficial for ADHD just by lowering cortisol levels a little rather than providing any other real cognitive benefits...

[05,2007] Enzymotec' study on the effect of Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM on ADHD schoolchildren was presented at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS), in Toronto. The study, conducted by Prof. Nachum Vaisman from the Sourasky Tel Aviv Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel, involved over sixty children, divided in 3 groups .

"Providing Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM to these children had a pronounced impact on their Test of variables of Attention (TOVA) scores, inasmuch as 60% of them presented asymptomatic total TOVA score at the end of the intervention" says Dr. Dori Pelled, Enzymotec's CTO.

Sharp●PS™ PLATINUM is a unique PS-DHA/EPA conjugation, based on Enzymotec's unique line of cognitive products, including : Sharp●PS™ and Sharp●PS™ GOLD , which are already being marketed in the US and elsewhere. Earlier this year , the company has announced of a second, large clinical trial, which will be conducted in Israel and will further evaluate the product efficacy on the same product.

Enzymotec (www.enzymotec.com) is an Israeli biotech company, that seeks to provide branded nutrition companies with a better value proposition in 3 main health areas: CVD management, improving cognitive performance and balanced nutrition for babies.
We do that by taking ingredients, which have already gained market and scientific acceptance, such as: DHA, PS or plant-sterols and enhance their efficacy by mode of conjugation or modification. We also increase their value proposition by investing significant resources in clinical trials, regulatory affairs and patent protection while ensuring highest quality standards.

ISRAEL – Pediatric ADHD patients may benefit from omega-3 LC-PUFA conjugated to phospholipids (PL-Omega3) according to a study presented during the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS), in Toronto.

The study, conducted by Prof. Nachum Vaisman from the Sourasky Tel Aviv Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel, involved over sixty children, divided into three groups and randomized in a three month, double blind, placebo-controlled study. One group received PL-Omega3 (250 mg/d EPA+DHA and 300 mg/d PS), another received fish oil (250 mg/d EPA+DHA), while the control group received canola. Sustained visual attention and discrimination were objectively measured using the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA). Omega-3 LC-PUFA incorporation into blood compartments also was analyzed.

The study reported that the PL-Omega3 and fish oil treatment groups showed marked increase in plasma phospholipids omega-3:omega-6 and in EPA:arachidonic acid (AA) ratios.

The TOVA average ADHD index z score improved by 3.35 SD and 1.72 SD for the PL-Omega3 and FO groups, respectively, compared with a decline of -0.42 SD for control patients (P<0.001).

All TOVA indexes under investigation were significantly (P<0.05) improved for PL-Omega3 group (0.75 SD 1.01 SD). Accordingly, in PL-Omega3 (11/18) but not in FO (7/21) a significant (P<0.05) ratio of subjects demonstrated asymptomatic ADHD index score, compared with control (3/21). Interestingly, the increase in EPA:AA ratios was shown to correlate with ADHD index score alterations only for PL-Omega3 group. No Adverse effects were recorded.

"Providing Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM to these children had a pronounced impact on their Test of variables of Attention (TOVA) scores, inasmuch as 60% of them presented asymptomatic total TOVA score at the end of the intervention" said Dr. Dori Pelled, Enzymotec's CTO.

Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM is PS-DHA/EPA conjugation, based on Enzymotec's line of cognitive products, including: Sharp-PS™ and Sharp-PS™ GOLD, which are already being marketed in the US and elsewhere.

Earlier this year, the company announced a second, large clinical trial, which will be conducted in Israel and will further evaluate the product efficacy on the same product.

It looks like the above study sponsored by Enzymotec is in Pubmed now (see abstract below) and the full text can be viewed at http://www.nutrition...ns/ajcnMay4.pdf.

I want to try it but don't know when the (Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM PS-DHA/EPA conjugation) product will be available - the currently available Country Life Sharp Thought™ and LEF's Cognitex products use Sharp-PS™ GOLD which is simply a PS-DHA conjugation.

Anyway I wonder what the difference would be between Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM and Neptune Krill Oil which, in addition to Astaxanthin, also combines Phospholipids and DHA and EPA? Perhaps Neptune Krill Oil still has DHA and EPA conjugated to triacylglycerol while the Phospholipids are separate components in the oil...

1: Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 May;87(5):1170-80.
Correlation between changes in blood fatty acid composition and visual sustained attention performance in children with inattention: effect of dietary n-3 fatty acids containing phospholipids.
Vaisman N, Kaysar N, Zaruk-Adasha Y, Pelled D, Brichon G, Zwingelstein G, Bodennec J.
Clinical Nutrition Unit, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel. vaisman@tasmc.health.gov.il

BACKGROUND: Increasing evidence supports n-3 fatty acid (FA) supplementation for patients with psychiatric disorders, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. However, the exact metabolic fate of dietary eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) on different glyceride carriers remains unclear. OBJECTIVE: We investigated whether conjugation of EPA and DHA to phospholipid (PL-n-3) or to triacylglycerol (fish oil; FO) affects their incorporation in blood compartments and influences executive functioning. DESIGN: Children aged 8-13 y with impaired visual sustained attention performance received placebo, 250 mg/d EPA + DHA esterified to PL-n-3 (300 mg/d phosphatidylserine), or FO for 3 mo in a randomized double-blind manner. Main outcome measures included plasma and erythrocyte FA profile and continuous performance test results (Test of Variables of Attention; TOVA). RESULTS: Sixty of the 83 children enrolled completed the interventions (n = 18-21 per group). There was an enrichment of EPA (1.5-2.2-fold), docosapentaenoic acid (DPA; 1.2-fold), and DHA (1.3-fold) in the PL fraction in the plasma of FO- and PL-n-3-fed children. In erythrocytes, only PL-n-3 resulted in a significant reduction (approximately 30%) of very-long-chain saturated FAs (C20-24) and in an increase (1.2- and 2.2-fold, respectively) in linoleic acid and DPA. Total TOVA scores increased in the PL-n-3 (mean +/- SD: 3.35 +/- 1.86) and FO (1.72 +/- 1.67) groups but not in the placebo group (-0.42 +/- 2.51) (PL-n-3 > FO > placebo; P < 0.001). A significant correlation between the alterations in FAs and increased TOVA scores mainly occurred in the PL-n-3 group. CONCLUSION: Consumption of EPA+DHA esterified to different carriers had different effects on the incorporation of these FAs in blood fractions and on the visual sustained attention performance in children. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00382616.

PMID: 18469236 [PubMed - in process]

#22 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:27 AM

It looks like the above study sponsored by Enzymotec is in Pubmed now (see abstract below) and the full text can be viewed at http://www.nutrition...ns/ajcnMay4.pdf.

I want to try it but don't know when the (Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM PS-DHA/EPA conjugation) product will be available - the currently available Country Life Sharp Thought™ and LEF's Cognitex products use Sharp-PS™ GOLD which is simply a PS-DHA conjugation.

Anyway I wonder what the difference would be between Sharp-PS™ PLATINUM and Neptune Krill Oil which, in addition to Astaxanthin, also combines Phospholipids and DHA and EPA? Perhaps Neptune Krill Oil still has DHA and EPA conjugated to triacylglycerol while the Phospholipids are separate components in the oil...

1: Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 May;87(5):1170-80.
Correlation between changes in blood fatty acid composition and visual sustained attention performance in children with inattention: effect of dietary n-3 fatty acids containing phospholipids.
Vaisman N, Kaysar N, Zaruk-Adasha Y, Pelled D, Brichon G, Zwingelstein G, Bodennec J.
Clinical Nutrition Unit, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel-Aviv, Israel. vaisman@tasmc.health.gov.il

BACKGROUND: Increasing evidence supports n-3 fatty acid (FA) supplementation for patients with psychiatric disorders, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. However, the exact metabolic fate of dietary eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) on different glyceride carriers remains unclear. OBJECTIVE: We investigated whether conjugation of EPA and DHA to phospholipid (PL-n-3) or to triacylglycerol (fish oil; FO) affects their incorporation in blood compartments and influences executive functioning. DESIGN: Children aged 8-13 y with impaired visual sustained attention performance received placebo, 250 mg/d EPA + DHA esterified to PL-n-3 (300 mg/d phosphatidylserine), or FO for 3 mo in a randomized double-blind manner. Main outcome measures included plasma and erythrocyte FA profile and continuous performance test results (Test of Variables of Attention; TOVA). RESULTS: Sixty of the 83 children enrolled completed the interventions (n = 18-21 per group). There was an enrichment of EPA (1.5-2.2-fold), docosapentaenoic acid (DPA; 1.2-fold), and DHA (1.3-fold) in the PL fraction in the plasma of FO- and PL-n-3-fed children. In erythrocytes, only PL-n-3 resulted in a significant reduction (approximately 30%) of very-long-chain saturated FAs (C20-24) and in an increase (1.2- and 2.2-fold, respectively) in linoleic acid and DPA. Total TOVA scores increased in the PL-n-3 (mean +/- SD: 3.35 +/- 1.86) and FO (1.72 +/- 1.67) groups but not in the placebo group (-0.42 +/- 2.51) (PL-n-3 > FO > placebo; P < 0.001). A significant correlation between the alterations in FAs and increased TOVA scores mainly occurred in the PL-n-3 group. CONCLUSION: Consumption of EPA+DHA esterified to different carriers had different effects on the incorporation of these FAs in blood fractions and on the visual sustained attention performance in children. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00382616.

PMID: 18469236 [PubMed - in process]

I don't have access to the full text of this study but I do know from cutting and pasting on searches it includes the following passage:
"...In the erythrocyte PLs, an increase ( 230%) in nervonic acid (24:1n–9) concentrations was detected in response to PL-n –3 administration compared with the placebo (P = 0.029) but not the FO (P 0.389) treatment..."

Nervonic Acid was found to be significantly lower in children with ADHD in the following study...

1: J Nutr Biochem. 2004 Aug;15(8):467-72. Links
Dietary patterns and blood fatty acid composition in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in Taiwan.Chen JR, Hsu SF, Hsu CD, Hwang LH, Yang SC.
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan.

Nutritional factors may be relative to attention-deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), although the pathogenic mechanism is still unknown. Based on the work of others, we hypothesized that children with ADHD have altered dietary patterns and fatty acid metabolism. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate dietary patterns and the blood fatty acid composition in children with ADHD in the Taipei area of Taiwan. The present study found that 58 subjects with ADHD (average age 8.5 years) had significantly higher intakes of iron and vitamin C compared to those of 52 control subjects (average age 7.9 years) (P < 0.05). The blood total protein content in subjects with ADHD was significantly lower than that in control subjects (P < 0.05). On the other hand, children with ADHD had significantly higher blood iron levels compared to the control children (P < 0.05). Additionally, plasma gamma-linolenic acid (18:3 n-6) in children with ADHD was higher than that in control children (P < 0.05). Concerning the composition of other fatty acids in the phospholipid isolated from red blood cell (RBC) membranes, oleic acid (18:1n-9) was significantly higher, whereas nervonic acid (24:1n-9), linoleic acid (18:2n-6), arachidonic acid (20:4n-6), and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3) were significantly lower in subjects with ADHD (P < 0.05). Our results suggest that there were no differences in dietary patterns of these children with ADHD except for the intake of iron and vitamin C; however, the fatty acid composition of phospholipid from RBC membranes in the ADHD children differed from that of the normal children.

PMID: 15302081 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I wonder if Nervonic Acid is the key to the positive results and where this can be obtained? I understand it is concentrated in the seed oil of Lunaria annua and Nervonic acid is thought to be an essential nutrient for the growth and maintenance of the brain as well as in biosynthesis of nerve cell myelin...

#23 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

I think this may have some cognitive decline prevention ability probably only from its PS content, but I dont think it is a cognitive enhancer, in other words it might keep your IQ from declining over the years, but not boost your IQ while taking it like other nootropics. Had they used EPA/PS like they probably should have it would make an awesome product. After alot of research I personally take EPA only(no DHA) and PS together at the same time everyday. I dont know if mixing and actual preconjugation would help, it might be marketing hype as your digestion might end up conjugating them when taken togther anyway.

Where can you get asupplement that's pure EPA?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

I did try a pack of the SharpPS Gold DHA/PS Conjugation (via Country Life's 'Sharp Thought' product) and felt little difference in effects to regular PS supplements...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users