Photo
- - - - -

Methionine Restriction Diet/Effects

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

So I just wanted to start a separate thread dedicated to this Methionine Restriction Diet, of which I've only recently learned.

As pointed out, Methionine is a limiting reagent, due to the fact that it's the sole amino which corresponds to the start-codon.

Uptil now, the we've been talking mainly about Caloric Restriction, which is a much broader brute-force approach, and which works by limiting your entire diet, to constrain metabolic activity across the board.

The Methionine Restriction diet focuses on methionine as a particular limiting reagent, to achieve approximately the same effect as CR, but with less effort. It was further pointed out that methionine also creates specific ROS that damage the mitochondria.

But I was reading that methionine deficiency could also make you vulnerable to cancer and other illnesses.
And this is of course because gene expression, which MR reduces, is also necessary to help you fight off cancer and other illnesses.

So I would like to ask what ways can be devised to get around these problems?

For instance, regarding Methionine-produced ROS, are there any anti-oxidants in particular that might work particularly well against them?
Maybe that way you wouldn't need to resort to MR in order to reduce the negative effects of Methionine-produced ROS.

Alternatively, could we forcibly categorize any and all proteins into one of 2 categories: Pro-Senescence or Anti-Aging
(Neutrality is not accepted! In the war on aging, any protein is either with us or against us!) :)
Evaluation is based on net contribution in either direction.

Once we have our dividing line drawn between good and evil, then we can proceed to look for limiting reagents that constrain evil more than they constrain good.
Your target diet is then based on minimizing those limiting reagents, while maximizing the useful stuff.

Mathematically, perhaps a vector-weighting approach is better. (ie. some proteins/pathways are more evil than others in terms of senescence cost, and some are more beneficial than others in terms of longevity benefits)

Nextly, I'm wondering if Methionine restriction helps to trigger recycle activity in the body. Anything that helps to recycle the Mitochondria in particular would probably be a good thing.

Other things that might be useful: occasional oral doses of large/complex molecules that are hard to synthesize, such as Glycosaminoglycans (eg. Chondroitin), which are useful for maintaining the joints. This would save your body the metabolic overhead of having to create these molecules, while it runs in high-efficiency/austerity mode.

Any other suggestions?

#2 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

It would be nice to make cows and pigs that lack methionine.
If someone here knows how to introduce that...
I am sure many people would buy such meat.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

correction: it would be nice to make cows and pigs that partially lack methionine.

#4 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

your start codon idea is key; the drug muciprocin modifies the tRNA that the methionine containing start codon starts

modified ribosomes (deleted small subunit ribosomes) make things live longer; I have thought that the well known 70 pt effective muscle gene therapy treatment could be used to give people longevity ribosomes perhaps those from superlongevity species like turtles

it might be quite possible to make a methionine blocking synthetic amino acid that is preferentially absorbed yet has minimal methionine activity

wikipedia says
Methionine can be regenerated from homocysteine via (4) methionine synthase. It can also be remethylated using glycine betaine (NNN-trimethyl glycine) to methionine via the enzyme Betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase (E.C.2.1.1.5, BHMT). BHMT makes up to 1.5% of all the soluble protein of the liver, and recent evidence suggests that it may have a greater influence on methionine and homocysteine homeostasis than Methionine sythase.

Homocysteine can be converted to cysteine. (5) Cystathionine-β-synthase (a PLP-dependent enzyme) combines homocysteine and serine to produce cystathionine. Instead of degrading cystathionine via cystathionine-β-lyase, as in the biosynthetic pathway, cystathionine is broken down to cysteine and α-ketobutyrate via (6) cystathionine-γ-lyase. (7) α-ketoacid dehydrogenase converts α-ketobutyrate to propionyl-CoA, which is metabolized to succinyl-CoA in a three-step process (see propionyl-CoA for pathway).

the bolded enzymes could all be addressed with drugs like iRNA or possibly immunoactivation to scavenge the enzymes

Yahoo answers http://answers.yahoo...29173224AA7tMJ8 provides a clue methionine might be the start codon as: Probably to generate a disulfide linkage to the substrate. (that a vitro not a vivo approach but highly thoughful) as well as its not the methionine thats important...its really the tRNA that is attached to the methionine that dictates the starting amino acid..
experiments have been done and exchanged the methionine on the tRNA^met for another amino acid, and they found that the other amino acid began the protein..so theres nothing special about methionine [...] its the tRNA that carries the amino acid to the ribosomes

it looks like the sturdy reversability of the s=s as an "anchor" might matter (vitro) as well as the fascinating idea that anything that reregulates tRNA transfer rna could have the same effect as merthionine restriction or small subunit ribosome deletion

thus a clever way to address transfer rna could be a longevity drug muciprocin could be tested on mice regarding longevity I think thats super nifty as I'm aware that agriculturalists feed animals antibiotics to make them weller; I've thought that an absence of care about antibiotic resistance antibiotic could be given to humans to keep humans weller it is possible that a muciprocin like tRNA modifying antibiotic could minimize disease plus generate longevity

Methods to Assay Inhibitors of tRNA Synthetase Activity.

Dieter B, Hein PK, Brötz-Oesterhelt H.
Bayer HealthCare AG, Wuppertal, Germany.
Aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases (aa-RS) attracted interest as potential targets for new antibacterial compounds. Most organisms express 20 aa-RSs: one for each amino acid. Aa-RSs are essential proteins in all living organisms. When one aa-RS is inhibited, the corresponding tRNA is not charged and is therefore unavailable for translation. This leads to protein synthesis inhibition, which in turn causes cell growth arrest. Consequently, each compound that inhibits any of the aa-RS could be a potential antibacterial agent. Only one aa-RS inhibitor, the Ile-RS inhibitor mupirocin, is currently marketed as an antibacterial agent. We focused on phenylalanyl (Phe)-tRNA synthetase (Phe-RS), but the described methods are not restricted to Phe-RS and might be adapted to other aa-RS.

#5 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

I also like this idea http://answers.yahoo...3974f5d0eca70aa

basically as the methionine amount is reduced fewer start codons do their thing thus anything that modifies the rate of transcription might go like methionine reduction improves longwevity effects

At what speed are base pairs formed in human DNA replication?

hayden16...
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

its relatively not THAT fast, its slower than in bacteria who dont have proofreading mechanisms...but we prefer accuracy to speed, so its worth it to take the time to get it right..1000bp/sec

thus anything that overbuilds proofreading might act like methionine regulations longevizing effect; drugs that shift that to 300 bp per s on a developed organism might drastically reduce aging

#6 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

rate of transcription research
using the tRNA rate regulation approach is similiar to methionine rate regulation pubmed.org list hundreds of refs on inhibitors of trna synthetase there is active research on this as changing the rate of transcription is a way to address MRSA

these 240 compounds at this database could all be tested as longevity drugs as they all affect transcription rate

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum
IA, database of known ligands of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases.

Torchala M, Hoffmann M.
BioInfoBank Institute, ul. Limanowskiego 24A, Poznan, 60-744, Poland.
The IA database contains 240 structures of known inhibitors of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. Structures can be downloaded in different file formats (mol, sdf, smile, png). The search engine offers possibility of searching for the ligands with a given functional group. Additionally, one can search for ligands that act on selected synthetases and from particular references. The data include information which synthetase a given ligand inhibits together with the inhibition constant (IC50) if known.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#7 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hi,

http://www.methionine-restriction.org : let's build it together!

Most need for now:
- Litterature and summaries
- web skills

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users