Photo
- - - - -

Where to buy Bacopa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

I am still experimenting with Bacopa. Is there any place to buy this in the US locally, such as a grocery store or drug store? Target? Relentless Improvement is closed and I need to restock.

#2 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

Check your PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 neuroenhanced

• 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

Do a search on yahoo or google and compare brands/prices.

#4 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

I get mine from Vitamin Shoppes locally

#5 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

I get mine from Vitamin Shoppes locally

The problem with that strategy is the fact that many supplements on store shelves in the US don't have what is listed on the label, or too little of it, or have been found to be contaminated with lead, cadmium, and other deadly stuff:

view:

ConsumerLab.com

I don't think Bacopa has ever been tested by consumerlab.com. So be careful with the brands you choose.

#6 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:56 AM

Your local marshland

#7 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:47 AM

I think AOR's Bacopa brand is a very good one. You might want to try that.

#8 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

MethuselahMouse, funny you mentioned Vitamin Shoppe, I passed by one on my way home from work the day that I posted this topic (after striking out at GNC) and found Bacopa+Ginko there, this was before I even read your post. Picked some up. Bacopa is the last nootropic that I am still experimenting with, and I mostly take Bacopa for brain protective effects, I am not seeking cognitive enhancement (but will take it if it comes as an added bonus :-)). As for the third party purity checks that nootropikamil suggested, I agree, he was the first person who made me realize how important third-party purity analysis is. However, in the case of Bacopa, I don't see how it can be contaminated with heavy metals or other harmful substances since it is an herb. I am more worried about the quality of the meat that I am consuming.

#9 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

MethuselahMouse, funny you mentioned Vitamin Shoppe, I passed by one on my way home from work the day that I posted this topic (after striking out at GNC) and found Bacopa+Ginko there, this was before I even read your post.  Picked some up.  Bacopa is the last nootropic that I am still experimenting with, and I mostly take Bacopa for brain protective effects, I am not seeking cognitive enhancement (but will take it if it comes as an added bonus :-)).  As for the third party purity checks that nootropikamil suggested, I agree, he was the first person who made me realize how important third-party purity analysis is.  However, in the case of Bacopa, I don't see how it can be contaminated with heavy metals or other harmful substances since it is an herb.  I am more worried about the quality of the meat that I am consuming.

Uh...you don't need a third party analysis always, dude. That's only REALLY important when you import and/or buy from questionable sources. If you buy from companies that use DRUG GMPs, have World Health Organization (WHO) certification on their operations, third party testing is really not essential. That's why I recommend companies that use Sabinsa's Bacopin in their products.

From Ensuring Quality Crucial to Industry Viability (Natural Product Insider, 07/01/2002):

What types of QC certifications do you hold?

Norton: Sabinsa is the sales and marketing arm for our manufacturing operation SAMI Labs Inc., which is located outside the United States. SAMI Labs recently obtained World Health Organization (WHO) certification for its manufacturing operations.

Uh...Ayurvedic herbs have MUCH higher incidence rates of the MOST harmful contaminants...than ANY other subset of dietary supplement...

JAMA: Heavy Metal Content of Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine Products

Posted Image
Posted Image

So you want to EXTRA careful with Indian herbs...

I like the extra satisfaction from seeing products at CL.com

http://www.consumerl...cl.asp#testprog

Manufacturers and distributors interested in the potential of having their products certified by CL, listed among the Approved Quality Products in CL's Product Reviews and bear the CL Seal may participate in the Voluntary Certification Program. Testing is conducted in the same manner as Product Reviews with test samples not accepted directly from the manufacturer.

There is a testing fee paid by the manufacturer and results are proprietary to the manufacturer. However, if a product "Passes," it will appear in CL's Web site listing of the respective Product Review and is also eligible to carry the CL Seal of Approval upon acceptance by the manufacturer of the CL Seal Use License Agreement (described below).

Due to economies of scale, testing fees are lower for products that fall within a category about to undergo a Product Review. Manufacturers and distributors should contact lisa.sabin@consumerlab.com if they wish to be alerted to upcoming Product Review categories.

Edited by nootropikamil, 10 September 2006 - 09:17 AM.

#10 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

Here are some more articles on herbal toxicity:

Indian spices contaminated with lead:

http://pediatrics.aa...ract/116/2/e314

PEDIATRICS Vol. 116 No. 2 August 2005, pp. e314-e318 (doi:10.1542/peds.2004-2884)
ELECTRONIC ARTICLE
Childhood Lead Poisoning in 2 Families Associated With Spices Used in Food Preparation
Alan D. Woolf, MD, MPH*,{ddagger},§ and Nicholas T. Woolf||

* Pediatric Environmental Health Subspecialty Unit, Boston, Massachusetts
{ddagger} Division of General Pediatrics, Children's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
§ Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
|| Lexington Christian Academy, Lexington, Massachusetts

Although most cases of childhood lead poisoning are caused by contaminated paint and dust in older homes, a variety of unusual sources of lead exposure are occasionally found. We report here 2 families whose children were poisoned by lead-contaminated spices that were purchased in foreign countries, brought to the United States, and then used in the preparation of the family’s food. Six children (2–17 years old) in a family from the Republic of Georgia were poisoned by swanuri marili (lead content: 100 and 2040 mg/kg in separately sampled products) and kharchos suneli (zafron) lead content: 23 100 mg/kg) purchased from a street vendor in Tbilisi, Georgia. The second family had purchased a mixture of spices called kozhambu (lead content: 310 mg/kg) while traveling in India. Both the parents and their 2-year-old child subsequently suffered lead poisoning. The young children in both families required short-term chelation to bring their blood lead levels down to a safer range. Clinicians should be vigilant for all sources of lead contamination, including spices, when whole families are found to have elevated blood lead levels despite a confirmed lead-safe home environment. Families traveling abroad should be aware of the potential health risks associated with the purchase and use of spices that have not been tested for purity.

Accepted Feb 4, 2005.

http://jpp.sagepub.c...stract/18/3/188

Journal of Pharmacy Practice, Vol. 18, No. 3, 188-208 (2005)
DOI: 10.1177/0897190005277217
© 2005 SAGE Publications

Herbal Product Contamination and Toxicity
Susan C. Smolinske, PharmD, DABAT

Children’s Hospital of Michigan Regional Poison Control Center, Wayne State University, College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Detroit, Michigan

Herbal poisoning exposures reported to poison centers increased by 344% after passage of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, with 24412 exposures reported in 2003. Increased toxicity is speculated to be related to lack of child-resistant packaging, new issues of contamination, proliferation of multiple ingredient products, excessive concentration of active ingredients, and discovery of new drug-herb interactions. This review addresses contamination issues such as heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, homeopathic remedies, microbes, insects, environmental chemicals, and mis-identification of one plant for another. Toxicity issues covered include carcinogenicity, delay in seeking medical treatment when using herbs to treat serious illness, toxic components, hypersensitivity reactions, hepatotoxins, nephrotoxins, epileptogenic compounds, cardiac toxins, gastrointestinal toxins, and hematologic toxins. Common drug-herb interactions are discussed. The pharmacist plays an important role in patient education and evaluation of potential toxicities related to herbal supplements.

#11 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

Are we back to the old scare tactics again? Is there any evidence of lead or other heavy metals in vitamins or herbs on store shelves? I haven't heard of any cases lately.

#12 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:54 PM

"Troll Alert"

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 neuroenhanced

• 63 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:25 AM

Xanadu has made some excellent postings in this forum, just because someone disagrees with you and asks you to back up your beliefs does not mean they are trolls.

Personally I don't believe any company or org is 100% correct on any matter, especially the World Health Organization and FDA.

Make your own judgement call.

Oh and nootropikamil your opinions on brands carry little weight since you are recommending products you sell. Although i will say they appear to be an excellent source of Indian herbs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users