Photo
- - - - -

Modafinil: taste?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

I'm taking part in a study of using modafinil for certain cognitive deficits. For four weeks I am supposed to take a capsule of what may or may not be a placebo. I am curious as to what modafinil tastes like, so I can know for sure which I am taking.

Will my knowing the contents of the pills contaminate my results?

#2 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

If you must know whether you are taking the drug or the placebo you ought not to be taking part in the study.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

Perhaps you could ask them what the placebo is. Say that you're concerned for your health. If it's citric acid it should taste sour. I don't imagine modafinil will taste good. But you should feel the effects anyway.

#4 catshmat

• 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

Yes it would contaminate results. "Double Blind" is not a catch-phrase.

#5 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:03 PM

i dont think taking 200mg of Modafinil a day is a safe dosage, the way it interrupts certain brain wave (deep sleep?), and half life of say 15 hours, your going ot be pretty pumped up

just my opinion of course, ymmv

well, the obvious way to tell if you are taking Modafinil, is not by the taste but the effects. say if u are getting 100mg a day for a month, then thats pretty noticable. i notice 20mg of the stuff. therefore i doubt this study can be truly accurate, thats like giving someone placebo of adderall or sugar, its no secret which one your getting after the first dose really.

#6 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

If one is 200mg Modafinil and other sugar than you'll know for sure in an hour. But i don't think anyone would make a such a study. It's probably either some other drug/supplement or different doses. In any case knowing what's inside will ruin results.

Modafinil has no particular taste. It's white crystalline powder.

cmorera
100-200mg Modafinil a day is recommended dosage. Many people take this for various conditions and have no problems at all. Besides nasty feeling i get from Modafinil, i'm able to get a noon nap if i take 200mg in the morning.

#7 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:18 PM

If one is 200mg Modafinil and other sugar than you'll know for sure in an hour. But i don't think anyone would make a such a study. It's probably either some other drug/supplement or different doses. In any case knowing what's inside will ruin results.

Thank you da_sense for the only helpful reply. Of course jedsen shouldn't try to mess around with the study, but it's his cognitive liberty, and if he wants to know what he's ingesting that's his right. Anyway, the study is only being done to justify another expensive, side-effect-laden pharmaceutical when reasonable alternatives exist, so I personally wouldn't feel too broken up about messing with the results.

#8 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:34 AM

Thank you da_sense for the only helpful reply. Of course jedsen shouldn't try to mess around with the study, but it's his cognitive liberty, and if he wants to know what he's ingesting that's his right. Anyway, the study is only being done to justify another expensive, side-effect-laden pharmaceutical when reasonable alternatives exist, so I personally wouldn't feel too broken up about messing with the results.

fall off a cliff?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

I didn't know modafinil can affect sleep (when taking at times and doses that do not cause sleep deprivation).

I would appreciate getting a pointer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users