Photo
- - - - -

Modafinil and hyperconcentration

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

Has anybody got this on modafinil: feeling awake etc, but when concentrating on smth your mind seems to block out everything else that's going around you, like being a horse with blinders. For some people it might sound great, but I'm a person who has a lot of inner dialogue going on in my head and on modafinil this becomes so intense that I find myself constantly in situations where I haven't noticed at all what has meanwhile happened "outside". Maybe moda isn't for everybody after all... [glasses]

#2 alexoverhere

• 55 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

It increased my ability to concentrate by a lot, but I don't have a lot of inner dialgoue, so I don't share your problem. However, for a while it was exacerbating my anxious thoughts. Wellbutrin made this go away.

Have you consulted with your psychiatrist about your problem? You might want to see one if you haven't already.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ikaros

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

Yes I've done that. Psychiatrists are good for getting prescriptions, but not fixing your life.

#4 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

Have you tried lowering the dosage, skipping days, etc?

#5 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

Has anybody got this on modafinil: feeling awake etc]

That's why many use it for ADD i guess ;)

For me it works oposite, i get all "speedy" and can't focus well on one thing, my mind races from one thought to another. But I've found that 200mg is too much for me, 100mg works good in a way to keep me awake and altert without speedines and anxiety.

#6 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

Yea i get a complete hyperconcetration effect from Modafinil. On the first day i began to have a great amount of racing thoughts. This ended in the progressive days and of course when i stopped the drug. I think anyone with ADD should give this one a try; it works pretty amazing in that department and certainly has the ability to increase your mood (low dopamine transport system in certain-ADD-ADHD)

#7 ameldedic2

• 91 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

Since my junior, senior years (in high school) and currently as a freshman college student, I increased my capacity to memorize, learn, solve math. problems, etc. dramatically since I study like crazy. But I noticed is that my concentration level increased, and I'm able to stay focus on tests, and writing papers without ever really noticing anything. I sometimes arrive in classrooms where the only information I remember was the face of the professor and the information given. I also experience some inner thoughts sometimes, such as flashbacks, etc. But this is the weird part, since I'm have been increasing my workload in studying (I don't regret it), I'm more efficient at retrieving information severals years ago, some even 10 years old. To summarize what I'm trying to say, it could be the drug that's affecting you, or your improvment in intelligence.
  • like x 1

#8 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

I've always found the same from modafinil. Though only to the extent of really being noticeable when coding. There's something about throwing numbers and libs into the air that melds amazingly well with the state of mind modafinil produces.

#9 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Okay that's great and all... but where can I score this stuff as a powder? Anyone got a recommendation for a good supplier?
  • dislike x 1

#10 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

Since my junior, senior years (in high school) and currently as a freshman college student, I increased my capacity to memorize, learn, solve math. problems, etc. dramatically since I study like crazy. But I noticed is that my concentration level increased, and I'm able to stay focus on tests, and writing papers without ever really noticing anything. I sometimes arrive in classrooms where the only information I remember was the face of the professor and the information given. I also experience some inner thoughts sometimes, such as flashbacks, etc. But this is the weird part, since I'm have been increasing my workload in studying (I don't regret it), I'm more efficient at retrieving information severals years ago, some even 10 years old. To summarize what I'm trying to say, it could be the drug that's affecting you, or your improvment in intelligence.

Im confused by your statement ameldedic. Are you saying your concentration and memory load has in increased with modafinil or without?

#11 darksanity

• 47 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

I wish Modafinil was cheaper... I have ADD and it looks awesome... but the price is fuckin expensive...

#12 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

I would try Strattera or Wellbutrin first if your not manic in any way

#13 ikaros

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

I've been lately using modafinil again and I think I understand why it sometimes seems not to work quite like I would like it to work. I mostly get the annoying overconcentration when I'm not really feeling very tired and unfocused in the first place, but when I'm having days when my head is about to explode due to too much work, it works like a charm - clear head in an hour + mood lift (although sometimes it gives me headaches then, I think it masks the brain overworking and the result is tension headaches). So I'm making out of this that modafinil has some kind of optimal dose for each individual, for me 200mg is just enough for a whole day. Overall it seems wise to use this drug only on days where you really feel like it's not going to be your best day.
Also so far I'm still convinced that modafinil raises blood pressure and pulse, but the reason for it seems to be unknown, at least in my case.

#14 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

50mgs seems to do me good. Ive only tried it for a grand total of 4 days though, so thats not saying much.200 first day, 100 the next, then 50 after that. It began to give me unrelenting anxiety on the higher doses so i cut it down to size. Ive been weighing out the pros and cons of long term use for quite some time now. It makes me completely cool and cognitive while on it, but when i stopped taking it felt like i was coming off of cocaine, so that kind of scared the bajesus out of me. This is probbaly do to prior usage of the narcotic and makes me worry if continueous use of Modafinil could "overexcite the overexcited" so to speak.

Anyways as a whole, Modafinil worked pretty amazing for me in the fields of concentration, self-confidence, mood, and IQ!. Im a member of www.mybraintrainer.com and my scores literally jumped 20 or more points for the days i was on it! I was in the "genius" ranking(120-150 was average). It was quite astonishing and admitably QUITE ADDICTING. These results are from a previous drug user have you and may not show the same benefits for healthy individuals. Id be careful with this one you may like it too much...

#15 ikaros

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Ive been weighing out the pros and cons of long term use for quite some time now. It makes me completely cool and cognitive while on it, but when i stopped taking it felt like i was coming off of cocaine, so that kind of scared the bajesus out of me.

Rebound cognitive decline / hypersomnolence?

#16 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yea around that ikaros. More "rebound cognitive decline" was what i was pointing at; I never really get hypersomnolence anymore. Its like a racing thought, cant shut off your mind kind of thing and then feeling like complete shit. I really havent used it enough to feel it out though so it would be premature to make the assumption that it would do this everytime before my body becomes acustomed to it, and to give the impression that modafinil is somehow neurotoxic. These are just the things ive felt and anyone else whos played in snow would have a good idea.

There is also one BIG factor i forgot to throw into the mix. I had been taking hydergine on and off before taking modafinil.On day 3 of usage i added a 4.5 mg dose of hydergine and felt particularly good but weird... and this continued into my last day of usage and have a feeling this had alot to do with it. Honestly it sent me into a minor form of psychosis (like the feeling you get when you wake up from a nightmare or powerful dream that meshes with reality but is persistant) that lasted a few days after taking modafinil. Reading deeper, Hydergines only real contridiction is people suffering from chronic or acute psychosis. I didnt have Psychosis before i used hydergine but now looking back i noticed i felt kind of out of reality when i was taking the hydergine. This could be the cause of the comedown and after effects when added with modafinil .*I personally would not mix these compounds

All this being said i plan to trial Modafinil again in a few days.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 ikaros

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

my body becomes acustomed to it, and to give the impression that modafinil is somehow neurotoxic

Well caffeine acts exactly the same, so dependance doesn't instantly mean a bad thing though. I've read that some users on modafinil report a need to increase the dose with prolonged use, so we might be talking about possible mild dependance, but certainly not comparable to some of the hard drugs. Anyway it's difficult to say anything right now about modafinil and long-term use, even the research papers are pretty scarce mentioning what effects might modafinil have in people who take it regularly. My own personal oppinion is still that stimulants don't mean good if they make you do more at the expense of natural necessity for rest which is undeniably a built-in self-defense mechanism of the body to avoid excess stress on the components that make us up, I'm afraid that messing with it might have unexpected consequences. It might be wise to add certain brain protecting supplements to one's diet if taking modafinil (e.g. alpha lipoic acid or vitamin e) just to "make sure" that the increased activity doesn't start to crack any walls up there.

But hey...modafinil is a damn useful drug that medical science can offer us, why not to exploit it (moderately though, says Confucius).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users