• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Austin Texas

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

At least yearly I'll be hosting a meeting in Austin Texas, I send updates through the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo....Intelligentsia/, but we also have monthly meetings hosted by different members. We have a wealth of well known transhumanists who attend our groups. If you are local please sign up and share with your friends, family, co-workers, co-students etc. -- Thanks!

Future-oriented thinkers welcome. Including transhumanists, futurists, life extensionists, crybernaughts, cryonicists, posthumanists, intellectuals, academics and activists.

We will send out notices of our evening socials, where desserts and wine will be provided, via this yahoo group. We will post about guest speakers and any dinners or brunches that we will be having. The locations, times, dates and topics of discussions/presentations, will be provided generally a month in advance.

An element of our group is a book club. Notice will be sent out about books with a futurist element, that have been chosen for discussion within our group, for any who wish to read them before our next meeting.

Edited by Shannon, 18 February 2008 - 03:07 AM.

#2 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

I'm planning an ImmInst conference/seminar for the TX Gulf Coast. Interested in speaking?

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:51 AM

Yes, that would be a lot of fun!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:33 AM

Brainstorm with me and anyone who has a brain.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Austin Transhumanist Presentations and Social

Monday, June 4th 8:00pm (loosely till 10:30, or
as late as people are able to engage in conversation ;) )

There will be H'orderves provided, dessert and wine.

Ben Best president of Cryonics Institute, having
just attended the Suspended Animation Conference in
Florida, and the American Aging Association Annual
Meeting in San Antonio, will be giving an overview of
the current research in Cryonics and Biogerentology in
general.

People attending will have a chance to introduce themselves. We will
have a question and answer period. Some practical matters of funding Cryonics and the social issues behind cryonics will be addressed by Shannon Vyff. (The meeting is at her home, and there are copies of "21st Century Kids" and "Scientific Conquest of Death" if you'd like one.)

email shannonvyff@yahoo.com, or PM me, for directions and r.s.v.p. (if attending)

If you live in the area--hope to see you there! :)

Edited by wing_girl, 10 May 2007 - 04:06 AM.

#6 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:59 AM

Sounds like a great event. Count me in.

#7 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:03 AM

thanks--we'll have a great meeting of minds ;)

#8 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:58 AM

New Austin Area Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo....Intelligentsia/

Future-oriented thinkers welcome. Including transhumanists, futurists, life extensionists, crybernaughts, cryonicists, posthumanists, intellectuals, academics and activists.

We will send out notices of our evening socials, where desserts and wine will be provided, via this yahoo group. We will post about guest speakers and any dinners or brunches that we will be having. The locations, times, dates and topics of discussions/presentations, will be provided generally a month in advance.

An element of our group is a book club. Notice will be sent out about books with a futurist element, that have been chosen for discussion within our group, for any who wish to read them before our next meeting.

Please check out the link, and invite any Austin area friends, family, co-workers, students etc., or share the link with other forums or on-line communities that you think may be interested!

Thanks!

#9 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

Thanks a lot for the meeting!

It was great to meet cnorwood, wing_girl, and some of the folks I've chatted with on these forums.

Our guest speaker, John Strickland, held forth with great wit and erudition on a variety of subjects of great interest to all, including cryonics, skepticism, global warming, and a great deal more.

I'm very much looking forward to our next meeting!

#10 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

Thanks everyone who came-- the meeting was a lot of fun--to have 'real time' ImmInst community.

We had four ImmInst members together, and 8 attendees total. Started at 7:00pm, ended up with the last leaving at 12:00am. The time flew by, and we all made a lot of connections/ideas.

It was nice to see the manifestation of some of Bruce's dream for ImmInst ;) I look forward to more meetings, and have been talking with Natasha about our July meeting--and our August swimming hole meet-up at John's place. :)

#11 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hey ya' all ! We've got another Transhumanist et. all meeting here in Austin-- this time at Natasha Vita-Moore and Max's Moore's home.

If you are not signed up with our local yahoo group to get notification of our live-time meetups then please do so here...

http://groups.yahoo....Intelligentsia/

If you are interested in attending and don't know about it already, then please PM me or email me shannonvyff@yahoo.com

Thanks--I look forward to more scintillating conversation! (we are a brilliantly clever group, if I don't say so myself! come join the fun :) )

#12 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hello-- this August the 19th we are having a meeting at John Strickland's home. He will do his powerpoint presentation about the science of global warming. Max Moore and Natasha are coming for round table debate on global warming.

There is a beautiful swimming hole, with a spiral slide and rope swing! We are having a birthday party for Avianna (turning 11) and Avalyse (turning 6) out at the swimming hole--you all are welcome to both, the debate in the house or the swimming outside. It will be running from 3:00 to 6:00, please check out the details for driving that are listed in the messages on our yahoo group (link above). Take Care--Shannon

#13 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:23 AM

Tomorrow night we are having a meeting at Carmello's Italian restaurant, one of Austin's oldest and best known establishments. Avalyse had eaten there once when she was 4 and proclaimed that the spaghetti was the 'best ever' and she wanted her 5th birthday dinner there (months later on the actual day we in fact had a lovely dinner there with her grandparents ;) ) The dinner will be at 8:00pm, Max and Natasha will be there. See you there (if you are in the Austin area, and are free :) )

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

This coming Friday September the 28th, at 7:00pm I'll be showing last year's Alcor conference in my home. It will run till 11:00 then we'll stay and talk as long as people want to.

We have some people who are attending this year's conference but weren't able to make last year's, who are coming as well as some people who are new-to-cryonics. We will have a room set up where people can talk, while the video is playing--and all transhumanist/futurist themes are welcome as usual :)

If you are in the area and able to attend, the details are on the Austin Intelligentsia site, or you can email me for more (shannonvyff @ yahoo . com ) It is a desert, wine and cheese potluck social.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:22 AM

This Sunday the 18th, there will be a Thanksgiving dinner at Natasha Vita-More and Max More's Austin home. It will be at 5:00pm, and to RSVP you can follow the link to the Austin Intelligentsia group that is at the beginning of this thread.

This is also an official 'cryo-feast', so many cryonicists will be attending if you would like to meet some. Hope, if you are in this area, that you can attend :p

#16 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:51 AM

http://transhumanism...lendar/7866215/

When:

Thursday, May 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Where:

Pioneer Apartments
624 W. 37th St. Apt. 205
Austin , TX 78705
512-669-9245

Who should come:

Those who fearlessly push the boundaries of the unknown who are ready to meet
the
challenge of building a new social technology based on science, social biology,
evolutionary psychology, and game theory.

Why:

You DO NOT want to miss this meeting! This will be a very important meeting
because
therein will be provided the theory behind and raison d'etre for Eusocial Group.

Unlike the previous meetings, this one will not be a general discussion.
Instead, Aaron will
answer the question: "Why Eusocial Group?"

Michael and I will be attending, if you are in the area then I hope you can make it :-)

Shannon

#17 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hey guys, do you know where I could buy AOR supplements in Austin?

Thanks

#18 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

In two weeks a class is starting at my church that may be of interest to some of the local Austin people here :)

It is about America, Power and Foreign Policy. It is free, there is a 20 dollar book that you can buy that goes with the class, you just have to sign up for the class or show up.

February 8th, Sunday, from 4:00 5:30pm in Room 17. First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin

The first chapter (and only the first chapter) is available online as a PDF by the Stanley Foundation( http://www.stanleyfo...ons_Chapter.pdf ), and there are many resources on line, forums and websites.

The following link takes you to such a cool site (kids like it too) : http://risingpowers....foundation.org/

Beyond that there are a lot of fun things going on at my church, the other day at much church a former Austin Mayor was speaking, there is a video Here: http://www.kxan.com/...tory_and_future

Also, I'm excited that a cryonicist couple with two middle school kids have been coming now for a few months and the kids like our classes, and have made friends with our kids. I'd love it if we can get some more transhumanist, extreme life extensionist types involved :)

#19 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

Tomorrow night I'll be at UT for the Science Outreach lectures, they have activities for kids at 5:45, the lecture starts at 7:00--if you live in Austin you may want to check out this site and sign up for notifications of upcoming talks: http://www.esi.utexa...h/lectures.html

#20 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

Damn, I'm gonna miss it. I would attend if I was there. Heck, I'm in area everyday when I'm in Austin.

I'm in Canada right now and will go back to TX late next month.

Edited by Forever21, 30 January 2009 - 09:21 AM.

#21 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:56 AM

Alcor TX Readiness Team Training July 25th and 26th, 2009

Saturday July 25th 10:00am to 5:00pm, lunch provided at 1:00pm

Sunday July 26th 10:00am to 3:00pm, lunch provided at 1:00pm

Steve Jackson Games 3735 Promontory Point Drive
Austin, TX 78744

All TX area cryoncists are encouraged to attend to learn more about the stand-by, stabilization and transport procedures, what First Responders do, and how optimal suspension is aided by the local community volunteers. Suspensions can be aided by having area cryonicists volunteering and working together. Any suspension is good experience to have the confidence in place to help with further suspensions. Attending a hands-on training gives you the tools to know what to do and how to do it. Whether or not you are interested in volunteering for the cryonicist community this is an excellent time to learn more about the process of suspension and taking the training can help you in your own planning.

Training sessions are attended by one or more Alcor personnel and offer an introduction to biohazard and safety protocols, advanced airway management, cardiopulmonary support and blood washout procedures. Stabilization equipment is used and often simulation with a mannequin for hands-on experience. Training also provides introductory training in negotiating with medical personnel, families and medical examiners or coroners. Local medical professionals and members of Alcor or other cryonics organizations are eligible to attend. There is no charge for attendance, but each person is responsible for their own travel and hotel expenses. Alcor training sessions are given throughout the year in a variety of locations around the United States and Internationally. (for further reading about Stabilization in Human Cryopreservation: http://www.alcor.org...bilization.html & Stabilization Medications: http://www.alcor.org...zationmeds.html, you can also read more about past stabilization procedures by looking at Procedure and Training Manuals posted at Alcor's website: http://www.alcor.org....html#procedure )

Participation in the training is required to become a member of the Regional Transport Team in your area. Members of the Regional Teams may be contacted if an Alcor member needs help and will be compensated for participation in a cryopreservation case. Team members who become Alcor members also receive a 75% discount on their Alcor membership dues (excludes Life Membership).

Anyone who is interested in being on the TX area readiness team as a first responder should attend, but this training is open to those that would just like to learn more about what a Readiness Team does as well.

Regina, the Alcor Readiness Coordinator along with Aaron Drake, the Alcor Transport Coordinator, will be running the TX training. Alcor Team Field Member Todd Huffman will most likely be attending.

Here is a recent interview with Regina if you want to learn more about her and what she is doing now at Alcor: http://www.depressed...regina-pancake/

Here is info on Aaron Drake, Alcor's new Transport Coordinator, at the Alcor Staff information page: http://www.alcor.org...alcorstaff.html

This is a link to Alcor Team Field Member Todd Huffman's home page: http://toddhuffman.p...s.com/FrontPage

Please RSVP to Alcor Readiness Coordinator shannonvyff@yahoo.com if you can attend all or part of the TX training, or have any questions about it. There are currently 5 cryonicists who have RSVP'd that they will be attending, we still have room for up to 7 more.

If you are planning on attending and will need a place to stay for the night, this hotel is just blocks from Steve Jackson's business, has great reviews and is economical: http://www.super8.co...ropertyId=14545

If you'd not like to attend the entire training but would like to come socialize with local Alcor members, there will be an Alcor Information Session at 4:00pm on Saturday July 25th. You are welcome to also invite any friends and family or people who want to learn more about cryonics to this meeting. We'll have a presentation about Alcor as well as hors d'oeuvres, beer, wine and socializing.

Feel free to copy, paste and share the following announcement, or just to invite people on your own to the information/socialization hour :-) :

Ever wanted to learn more about "cryogenics"? Come to an informational session about modern cryonics hosted by the cryonics organization Alcor this July 25th, 4:00pm here in Austin at Steve Jackson Games: 3735 Promontory Point Drive. There will be a presentation by Alcor, and you can meet many Alcor members. Hors d'oeuvres, beer, wine will be provided and there will plenty of time for socializing. For questions contact Alcor volunteer and TX Readiness Coordinator Shannon Vyff at (512) 673-3431 or shannonvyff@yahoo.com.

Hope to see you there~

Shannon Vyff

#22 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

I added links into the above post with additional information for anyone that is interested in attending the training to read over, or anyone who would like to learn more about the cryonics suspension process.

There is still space for this upcoming Austin training-- email, pm, text or call me to reserve a spot. :)

#23 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

TX First Responders Training Postponed

The July 25th and 26th Alcor First Responders Training has been postponed to August 29th and 30th. It will run at the same time of 10:00am to 5:00pm on Saturday and 10:00am to 3:00pm on Sunday at Steve Jackson Games 3735 Promontory Point Drive, Austin, TX 78744

The Cryonics Information Session from 4:00pm to 5:00pm will still be held at Steve Jackson Games on Saturday July 25th.

Additional Information:

All TX area cryoncists are encouraged to attend to learn more about the stand-by, stabilization and transport procedures, what First Responders do, and how optimal suspension is aided by the local community volunteers. Suspensions can be aided by having area cryonicists volunteering and working together. Any suspension is good experience to have the confidence in place to help with further suspensions. Attending a hands-on training gives you the tools to know what to do and how to do it. Whether or not you are interested in volunteering for the cryonicist community this is an excellent time to learn more about the process of suspension and taking the training can help you in your own planning.

Training sessions are attended by one or more Alcor personnel and offer an introduction to biohazard and safety protocols, advanced airway management, cardiopulmonary support and blood washout procedures. Stabilization equipment is used and often simulation with a mannequin for hands-on experience. Training also provides introductory training in negotiating with medical personnel, families and medical examiners or coroners. Local medical professionals and members of Alcor or other cryonics organizations are eligible to attend. There is no charge for attendance, but each person is responsible for their own travel and hotel expenses. Alcor training sessions are given throughout the year in a variety of locations around the United States and Internationally. (For further reading about Stabilization in Human Cryopreservation: http://www.alcor.org...bilization.html & Stabilization Medications: http://www.alcor.org...zationmeds.html, you can also read more about past stabilization procedures by looking at Procedure and Training Manuals posted at Alcor'swebsite: http://www.alcor.org....html#procedure )

Participation in the training is required to become a member of the Regional Transport Team in your area. Members of the Regional Teams may be contacted if an Alcor member needs help and will be compensated for participation in a cryopreservation case. Team members who become Alcor members also receive a 75% discount on their Alcor membership dues (excludes Life Membership).

Anyone who is interested in being on the TX area readiness team as a first responder should attend, but this training is open to those that would just like to learn more about what a Readiness Team does as well.

If you are planning on attending and will need a place to stay for the night, this hotel is just blocks from Steve Jackson's business, has great reviews and is economical: http://www.super8.co...ropertyId=14545

Please RSVP to Alcor Readiness Coordinator shannonvyff@yahoo.com if you can attend all or part of the TX training, or have any questions about it.

#24 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

It has been a while since we have had a gathering in Austin. That last Alcor training went well, my mother was able to attend it and the TX Alcor First Responder's group is still active, if anyone is interested in joining it and attending future trainings or volunteering to help in the event of a TX area suspension--just contact me.

But, now- it is time for another CryoFeast!

Austin TX CryoFeast 2011

Saturday November 26th: 2:30pm

This year's Alcor CryoFest will be held Saturday November 26th at 2:30pm in South Austin at the home of Alcor President Max More and Humanity+ Chair Natasha Vita-More. This Thanksgiving themed get-together is for Texas area cryonicists and life extension enthusiasts. We are delighted that this CryoFeast looks to include not only Alcor members and other cryonicists, but also Humanity+ members, life extensionists, and others interested in the field of human enhancement and life expansion. Feel free to share this invitation with anyone who you think may be interested.

A short meeting will also take place at the CryoFeast for people who are interested in learning more about cryonics but have not yet set up arrangements with a cryonics organization. In the past people have attended from Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, from all over Texas, to reconnect, meet new people, and learn about developments in the cryonics field.

Attendees are only asked to bring a favorite dish or drink they would like to share and to RSVP.

RSVP to Immortality Institute Director and Alcor volunteer Shannon Vyff by email: shannonvyff@yahoo.com, or by text or phone: (806) 445-6417 WhenRSVPing, please include what sort of main, side or dessert dish you will bring and she will get back to you with the address to the CryoFeastlocation. Also please list the number in your party and ages of any attending children. Shannon will be setting up a cryonics Q&A session for any attending children and is coordinating who is coming to the CryoFeast as well as what they are contributing.

Thank you, we look forward to seeing you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users