• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

My Modifinil Side Effect (Wierd/Dangerous?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iforgotmyname

• 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

I take 100mg of Provigil (Modafinil) daily upon waking. For 3-4 months now.

The first week my facecheeks were extremely red (I took 200 the first day) and had alot of "face tension" in my cheeks.

Now I take 100mg and I still have face tension, but i've gotten used to it and its off and on, however my cheeks and face tend to be more red than normal.

Could it just be increased blood flow, what about the tension?

If its important I am mediocre healthy.

I only get tense in my face (pretty much cheekbone area only.) And I tested it, over this Christmas I didnt take Modafinil, no more tension.

EDIT - I've been *trying* to research, two more possible causes, im 16, and im 6'6" tall, could it be my skin just growing fast *I have stretchmarks on my lower back, theyre small but..still... arent cheekbones always under light pressure anyways...any ideas fellas?

Also, "Inflammation in the Maxillary Nerve. Early studies suggest that some chronic tension-type and migraine headaches may be caused by inflammation in the nerve that runs behind the cheekbone (the maxillary nerve)--not around the covering of the brain. In fact, some work using ice water for reducing swelling in areas of the gums above the last upper molars has relieved some severe migraine and tension-type headaches." - About.com

I dont have any headaches at all. So i dont know.

I would also like to say I have Depression and Anxiety... I heard Modafinil increases Anxiety... Could this be causing tension?

EDIT- Cleaned it up so its shorter read.

Also, I think I have halitosis (bad breath), nothing I do seems to stop it, is there any way I can figure out whats wrong without going to a doctor? thanks.

Edited by iforgotmyname, 12 January 2007 - 06:44 AM.

#2 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

I take 100mg of Provigil (Modafinil) daily upon waking. For 3-4 months now.

The first week my facecheeks were extremely red (I took 200 the first day) and had alot of "face tension" in my cheeks.

Now I take 100mg and I still have face tension, but i've gotten used to it and its off and on, however my cheeks and face tend to be more red than normal.

Could it just be increased blood flow, what about the tension?

If its important I am mediocre healthy.

I only get tense in my face (pretty much cheekbone area only.) And I tested it, over this Christmas I didnt take Modafinil, no more tension.

EDIT - I've been *trying* to research, two more possible causes, im 16, and im 6'6" tall, could it be my skin just growing fast *I have stretchmarks on my lower back, theyre small but..still... arent cheekbones always under light pressure anyways...any ideas fellas?

Also, "Inflammation in the Maxillary Nerve. Early studies suggest that some chronic tension-type and migraine headaches may be caused by inflammation in the nerve that runs behind the cheekbone (the maxillary nerve)--not around the covering of the brain. In fact, some work using ice water for reducing swelling in areas of the gums above the last upper molars has relieved some severe migraine and tension-type headaches." - About.com

I dont have any headaches at all. So i dont know.

I would also like to say I have Depression and Anxiety... I heard Modafinil increases Anxiety... Could this be causing tension?

EDIT- Cleaned it up so its shorter read.

Also, I think I have halitosis (bad breath), nothing I do seems to stop it, is there any way I can figure out whats wrong without going to a doctor? thanks.

Well, your 16 years old and like you said, you are still growing/maturing physically. Taking pharmaceuticals like Modafinil during this phase of development may have unpredictable effects (e.g. the connection between suicide, SSRI's, and adolescents). You should have a regular general medical practioner with whom to advise on issues relating to health such as these. Internet forums are absolutely no substitute for medical examination and consultation. You should also be protected by doctor-patient privilege, so that you don't need to worry excessively about parental concern.

That being said, my off-the-cuff guess would be that increased noradrenegic activity is causing a possible increase in blood pressure, which could in turn increase blood flow to the facial area, if certain physical conditions permit. The side effect you described is not documented officially in any of the literature I have seen on Modafinil, but speculatively I think this is probably the main cause. Others may differ in their opinion.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 iforgotmyname

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

My doctor, like most, don't even know what modafinil is. I am the one who researched it, showed him the research in the office, and pretty much pushed him into giving me it. I'm jsut wondering (since I found out about Modafinil from here) if you think these kinds of side effects are a major concern. Can I live with higher blood pressure, or can't I? =)

I also don't take it on weekends or vacations, or summertime. I don't believe any non-natural medicine is good for you, I just think its a neccesary evil to go on living. I'm asking, just how evil is it?

#4 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Exactly what benefits are you receiving from Modafinil that you would want to continue using it despite the side effects you are experiencing? Seeing as to how you admit to having certain psychiatric issues such as anxiety and depression, it seems a bit reckless to be experimenting/self administering with drugs such as Modafinil without a consultation with a psychiatrist first to make sure that they aren't aggravating your symptoms.

#5 juanjo_asdf

• 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

What conditions are you taking modafinil for? (why did you ask your doctor for it)
What are you treating with modafinil?

Maybe modafinil isnt made for you. A lot of people are unconfortable with the effects of certain drugs.

What other things are you taking? (caffeine, noots, meds...)

I for one get anxiety from modafinil. I use modafinil to study but I have to make sure to calm down and quite possibly do some relaxation exercises with it (Im also taking quality fish oil and thenanine).

#6 ~ prometheus ~

• 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:44 AM

there's one case study suggesting that modafinil can cause orofacial dyskinesias... not sure if your symptoms are the onset of something like this, but you might wanna do some more reading into it.

re your halitosis, are you consuming lots of dairy products or meat?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

Here's what the Cephalon has to say on side effects of Provigil (modafinil),.

Link to Provigil website.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A toll-free (USA only I presume) phone number is available at the Provigil website where you might find more information.

***Keep in mind the last update was 2004; however, I imagine most side effects have been well documented.

Take care.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users