Photo
- - - - -

Anyone taking Rosemary

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:46 AM

In rats it increased glutathione levels.
Also appears to be a fairly potent anti-inflammatory (and of course a powerful antioxidant).

Natures way rosemary can be found for 2.50 a for a bottle of 100 400mg caps.

#2 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:58 AM

i do take it... part of my SOD/GPX/CAT booster stack :-)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

Is the nature's way an extract, or powdered herb?

#4 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

Powdered herb

#5 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

Resurrecting this thread in my never ending task of expanding my potential more bang for the buck supplements.

Anyone still taking this and or interested in it?

Inhibition of lipid peroxidation at very low doses, anti-viral etc.?

#6 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

I'm taking the extract. Other members of the mint family, like oregano and thyme also have potent antioxidants and probably have other beneficial effects. So you might want to include them in your diet.

#7 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

I'm taking the extract. Other members of the mint family, like oregano and thyme also have potent antioxidants and probably have other beneficial effects. So you might want to include them in your diet.

The water-soluble extract is Rosmarinic Acid; the alcohol soluble portion is Carnosic Acid, and to a lesser extent Ursolic Acid.
Rosmarinic and Carnosic acids work in tandem to inhibit viral replication, and are potent anti-bacterials and anti-oxidants. They are replacing BHT and tocopherols in processed foods, being both more potent and less expensive. A problem has been too strong a flavor for some foods, but the use of super-critical CO2 extraction makes it less of a problem: higher purity extracts have less of the strong rosemary flavor. What I've seen available as extracts in the supplement industry are low-purity powders and simple alcohol extracts.

#8 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

I take one of these (Zyflamend) every day, which has some rosemary:
http://newchapter.in...p;-KeyValue=108

Been taking this for several years. There's been interesting research done on this product, with several press release type articles on the site, like this one:
http://newchapter.co...ologytimes.html

From New Chapter, I also take one of these daily (GingerForce):
http://newchapter.in...p;-KeyValue=107

And a heaping teaspoon of this (Berry Green) in my daily morning oatmeal:
http://newchapter.in...p;-KeyValue=173

Edited by DukeNukem, 04 January 2008 - 06:17 PM.

#9 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:38 AM

Biol Pharm Bull. 2003 Nov;26(11):1620-2.
Carnosic acid, a component of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.), promotes synthesis of nerve growth factor in T98G human glioblastoma cells.
Kosaka K, Yokoi T.
Beauty Care Products Division, Health Care Business Group, Nagase & Co., Ltd., Nihonbashi-Kobunacho, Tokyo, Japan. kunio.kosaka@nagase.co.jp

Nerve growth factor (NGF) is a factor vital for the growth and functional maintenance of nerve tissue. The authors found that a rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) extract enhanced the production of NGF in T98G human glioblastoma cells. Furthermore, the results indicated that carnosic acid and carnosol, which are major components of the rosemary extract, were able to promote markedly enhanced synthesis of NGF.

PMID: 14600414

#10 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

Biol Pharm Bull. 2003 Nov;26(11):1620-2.
Carnosic acid, a component of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.), promotes synthesis of nerve growth factor in T98G human glioblastoma cells.
Kosaka K, Yokoi T.
Beauty Care Products Division, Health Care Business Group, Nagase & Co., Ltd., Nihonbashi-Kobunacho, Tokyo, Japan. kunio.kosaka@nagase.co.jp

Nerve growth factor (NGF) is a factor vital for the growth and functional maintenance of nerve tissue. The authors found that a rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) extract enhanced the production of NGF in T98G human glioblastoma cells. Furthermore, the results indicated that carnosic acid and carnosol, which are major components of the rosemary extract, were able to promote markedly enhanced synthesis of NGF.

PMID: 14600414

I have a dozen samples of rosemary extracts sitting on my shelves, including one that is 60% carnosic acid. What would be the best way to use it? What benefit could be derived from it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:47 AM

I have a dozen samples of rosemary extracts sitting on my shelves, including one that is 60% carnosic acid. What would be the best way to use it? What benefit could be derived from it?

My posting was primarily a warning to those with chronic headaches or fibromyalgia. There have been findings of elevated NGF in those conditions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users