Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Donate to save Marce Johnson

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

The Venturists have set up a page where you can donate through PayPal to help pay for Marce Johnson's cryopreservaton, along with an essay by Mike Darwin on why you should. Marce helped to start the cryonics movement back when some of your parents still wore diapers:

http://www.venturist...marce/gifts.htm

I've contributed one percent ($320) towards the fundraising goal of $32,000.

#2 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

Bump

Can someone give us an update. Did they collect the money needed? How much more is needed?

I gave $320 last month.

Thanks

#3 samson

• 180 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Who's Marce Johnson?

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

http://www.imminst.o...f=61&t=14980&s=

has her story...

I sent 200 yesterday. I'll send more next month.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

This was the most recent update I could find...

"Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:06:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Marce Johnson fund raising update

--0-2048378992-1174018013=:37998

MARCE JOHNSON FUND RAISING UPDATE

At present we have raised $10,000 for Marce Johnson's suspension. We are
almost 1/3 of the way.

I will be sending each contributor a personal thank you on behalf of Marce at
the end of this campaign. But in the mean time I want to express my thanks
here on Cryonet. "

#6 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

I hope someone "bumps" this thread at least once a month so that Marce won't be forgotten.

If 100 people gave $320.00 then she would have the money that she needs. :)

1/3 done-- 2/3 to go ;)

Thanks for the information

#7 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Did any of you guys donate by credit card? What name appeared on the bill?

#8 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Did any of you guys donate by credit card?  What name appeared on the bill?

You can make a donation here with PayPal.

If you want to send a check to help out with this, please make the check to:
"The Venturists." Mail it to The Venturists, C/O The Creekside Lodge, 11255
State Route 69, Mayer Arizona, 86333.

I had trouble with PayPal using IE 7 so I sent a check. The check was cancelled by The Society for Venturist a nonprofit group.
Use American funds.

Thanks [thumb]

#9 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:07 AM

Yes, I heard today that they are up to 14,000. (not that much since a month ago, and she is in an end-of-life facility)

This is truly someone who helped create the field of cryonics, and spent so much of her life volunteering--that she deserves our support.

#10 jonano

• 472 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:09 AM

what happenned to Marce from now on? And why she was not so prepared for his cryopreservation?

--Jon

#11 ventureboy

• 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

I donated $25.00 to help out a little over a Month ago.I used a Money Order.

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

bump!
What's the status of this?

#13 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

bump

I hope someone "bumps" this thread at least once a month so that Marce won't be forgotten.

If 100 people gave $320.00 then she would have the money that she needs. :~

1/3 done-- 2/3 to go ;o)

Thanks for the information

#14 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Last night read up on Marce Johnson. After reading Mike Darwin’s open letter requesting help for Marce, I shut down my computer, sat there in deep thought for several hours.

Marce Johnson poses a deep moral dilemma for me. Marce Johnson is a life long member of the cryonics community; she clearly is one of the pioneers of the movement. She through no fault of her own lost her funding simply because she fell I’ll and her health gobbled up her resources. There is currently a fund raising effort going on to help save her. If we start a fundraiser for me, that will compete for dollars that might otherwise go to Marce. I think it goes without saying that Marce is far more deserving of the cryonics community dollars than I am.

What happens if for instance Marce has let’s say 25,000 in her fund and there is 10,000 in a fund for me. Total dollars would be enough to save Marce, but split up, Marce wouldn’t make it. I do want to get cryonically suspended if I can’t beat this cancer, but I’m not jazzed about doing it at the cost of potentially snuffing out Marce’s life. I’m making it known that any dollars raised for my suspension should be made available to Marce should she pass before I do.

I have a better way to deal with this situation. I have a chemo treatment today in Scarborough, I will post later tonight.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

Any money raised for you now, can be given to Marce if you A. don't make it, or B. not enough is raised to cryonicaly preserve you and you choose not to be chemo-preserve.

#16 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

Last night read up on Marce Johnson. After reading Mike Darwin's open letter requesting help for Marce, I shut down my computer, sat there in deep thought for several hours.

Marce Johnson poses a deep moral dilemma for me. Marce Johnson is a life long member of the cryonics community; she clearly is one of the pioneers of the movement. She through no fault of her own lost her funding simply because she fell I'll and her health gobbled up her resources. There is currently a fund raising effort going on to help save her. If we start a fundraiser for me, that will compete for dollars that might otherwise go to Marce. I think it goes without saying that Marce is far more deserving of the cryonics community dollars than I am.

What happens if for instance Marce has let's say 25,000 in her fund and there is 10,000 in a fund for me. Total dollars would be enough to save Marce, but split up, Marce wouldn't make it. I do want to get cryonically suspended if I can't beat this cancer, but I'm not jazzed about doing it at the cost of potentially snuffing out Marce's life. I'm making it known that any dollars raised for my suspension should be made available to Marce should she pass before I do.

I have a better way to deal with this situation. I have a chemo treatment today in Scarborough, I will post later tonight.

I hope you beat the cancer and can secure your own funds for cryopreservation. You deserve to be helped too. Shannon mentioned chemo-preservation, so i'm guessing the other ways of preserving a body like chemical fixation will not be as desirable as vitrification, though they may be a lot cheapter than vitrifying a body.

So say marce got enough raised, but you only have $10,000 , is there no intermediate method of storage for you? I'm not talking about putting you in a big freezer without the proper vitrication steps, b/c you deserve fighting chances at immortality, but no other way to use whatever money raised? no other way to let you be suspended in a temporary storage place until more funds can be raised to properly prepare your body?

I wish you the best. btw, how bad is the cancer? keep us updated of your progress

Edited by HYP86, 20 July 2008 - 01:41 AM.

#17 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:01 AM

I wish you the best. btw, how bad is the cancer? keep us updated of your progress

Thank You for wishing me the best.
I have a better way to deal with this situation. I just haven’t started that thread yet.
As for how bad the cancer is and was. I'm posting that in the link below. You can follow, I will be updating as well as putting original medical info here
http://www.imminst.o...o...c=23100&hl=
Live Long and Well

#18 Cody

• 59 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

I'm definitely donating as soon as I can.

#19 pres

• 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

The webpage currently says that Paypal donations have been suspended.

Anybody know if or how much more money is needed?

#20 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

You can contact the Venturists directly: http://www.quantium.....com/venturist/

Money is still needed, I'm not sure what the exact amount is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users