Photo
- - - - -

prevention of sarcopenia

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

Just a routine day for me in the gym to assist in the prevention of age related sarcopenia.

power clean and jerk from the hang, 90-95% BW 10-15 reps with no breaks....continual.

dips with 120lbs....2-3 sets of 5

straight leg hand stand pushups ( extremely difficult) attempt to do 5 with breaks in between.

10 minutes on treadmill at 6mph.

pullup switches ( switching position mid pull for 10-15 reps)

platform jumps with 225lbs 18-20 inches off ground. 10-15 reps with breaks every 5 reps.

heavy bag work for 5-10 minutes with breaks every 2-3 minutes. ( really intense)...i.e. not tae bo [thumb]

overhead squat 90-110% BW for 5-10 reps.

stair climb with 50-60% BW for 1 minute at level 20(highest level).

my theory is that the addressing of fast twitch muscle fibers should be of primary concern in the battle against sarcopenia(being that aging hits these fibers the hardest), and many of my movements involve the use of these fibers almost exclusively. I also try to incorporate movements that will enlarge the capacity of the left ventricle giving me a larger LVEF ( left ventricle ejection fraction) and providing more oxygen for my body.

I have recently addressed the issue of sarcopenia via a discovery in asthma medication

Br J Pharmacol. 2006 Jan 23; : 16432501
Systemic administration of beta(2)-adrenoceptor agonists, formoterol and salmeterol, elicit skeletal muscle hypertrophy in rats at micromolar doses.
[My paper] James G Ryall , Martin N Sillence , Gordon S Lynch
beta(2)-Adrenoceptor agonists provide a potential therapy for muscle wasting and weakness, but their use may be limited by adverse effects on the heart, mediated in part, by beta(1)-adrenoceptor activation.Two beta(2)-agonists, formoterol and salmeterol, are approved for treating asthma and have an extended duration of action and increased safety, associated with greater beta(2)-adrenoceptor selectivity.The pharmacological profiles of formoterol and salmeterol and their effects on skeletal and cardiac muscle mass were investigated in 12-week-old, male F344 rats. Formoterol and salmeterol were each administered via daily i.p. injection at one of seven doses (ranging from 1 to 2000 mug kg(-1) day(-1)), for 4 weeks. Rats were anaesthetised and the EDL and soleus muscles and the heart were excised and weighed. Dose-response curves were constructed based on skeletal and cardiac muscle hypertrophy.Formoterol was more potent than salmeterol, with a significantly lower ED(50) in EDL muscles (1 and 130 mug kg(-1) day(-1), P <0.05), whereas salmeterol had greater intrinsic activity than formoterol in both EDL and soleus muscles (12% greater hypertrophy than formoterol). The drugs had similar potency and intrinsic activity in the heart, with a smaller leftward shift for formoterol than seen in skeletal muscle. A dose of 25 mug kg(-1) day(-1) of formoterol elicited greater EDL and soleus hypertrophy than salmeterol, but resulted in similar beta-adrenoceptor downregulation.These results show that doses as low as 1 mug kg(-1) day(-1) of formoterol can elicit significant muscle hypertrophy with minimal cardiac hypertrophy and provide important information regarding the potential therapeutic use of formoterol and salmeterol for muscle wasting.British Journal of Pharmacology advance online publication, 23 January 2006; doi:10.1038/sj.bjp.0706669.

while I'm monitoring my LVEF via echocardiogram, I'll be paying extra close attention to the wall thickness of my heart and adjusting the dosage or stopping altogether if the SARM increases wall thickness to much.I'll keep you guys posted as to the results. [glasses]

I'm also looking into myostatin mutators like MYO-021 (wyeth experimental muscular dystrophy drug) which have shown much promise in regards to sarcopenia interventions.(currently in phase III.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:37 AM

Overall it looks like a good program Karomesis. You have definiately done your homework.

my theory is that the addressing of fast twitch muscle fibers should be of primary concern in the battle against sarcopenia(being that aging hits these fibers the hardest), and many of my movements involve the use of these fibers almost exclusively. I also try to incorporate movements that will enlarge the capacity of the left ventricle giving me a larger LVEF ( left ventricle ejection fraction) and providing more oxygen for my body.

There is a little twist on the above theory. Whilst working toward maintaining the fast twitch fibres will maintain size it is not generally going to offset sarcopenia. apologies in advance because I haven't got the time to provide references here but I will try and explain it in simple terms.

It's still very important to consider slow twitch fibres with sarcopenia because they are responsible for all of the oxidative processes eg. fat and carbohydrate (CHO)metabolism. If you have a low concentration of slow twitch fibres in the muscle this means there is a decreased capacity to process CHO and fats. If you can't process the CHO in the muscle it stays in the blood. This could overtime leads to diabetes and decreased insulin sensitivity. If you become insulin resistant as a result then you will not only take up less CHO but you will all take up less amino acid which are required to rebuild the muscle. On top of this, if you have a decrease capacity to oxidaise fat then muscle triglycerides and lipid biochemistry will go up. This of course increases the risk of cardiovascular disease(CHD). If you look at the research you will most likely find a positive correlation between the amount of fast twitch muscle fibres and the % risk of CHD or deaths from CHD. Hence, I would just focus primarily on the fast twitch.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:53 AM

interesting reply Zoolander, thanks.

If you had to guess as to the efficacy of SARM's for the prevention/ reversal of age related sarcopenia you say they predominately effect the fast twitch more than the slow? or perhaps a combination of the two?

and would you recommend one form of exercise over another at different age levels based on the latest research?

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

SARMs? Interestingly, the epaper you quote came from Gordon Lynch's lab at Melbourne Uni. I was at a conference and spoke with Gordon last night about what I discussed. At one point he was going to be a secondary supervisor for my PhD.

#5 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:18 PM

Stud.

#6 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

Stud.

I try. :) axial rigidity is optimum at approx 1400g [sfty]

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:05 AM

dips with 120lbs....2-3 sets of 5

nice

straight leg hand stand pushups ( extremely difficult) attempt to do 5 with breaks in between.

wow!]

=karomesis]
10 minutes on treadmill at 6mph.

[:o]

platform jumps  with 225lbs 18-20 inches off ground. 10-15 reps with breaks every 5 reps.

Are you worried about spinal compression with these? Maybe I'm imagining the exercise incorrectly...

heavy bag work for 5-10 minutes with breaks every 2-3 minutes. ( really intense)...i.e. not tae bo [thumb]

Better the bag than me.

overhead squat 90-110% BW for 5-10 reps.

Does that much weight over your head ever worry you (accident potential?)

stair climb with 50-60% BW for 1 minute at level 20(highest level).

Nice.

#8 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:33 AM

Are you worried about spinal compression with these? Maybe I'm imagining the exercise incorrectly...

your concerns would usually be warranted, however, I take many precautions against both ballistic shock during O-lifting (primarily utilizing the power variations of both the clean and jerkl as well as the snatch) as well as bend at the knees during my platform jumps.
it also helps that i usually finish my workouts with pilates, yoga, or a combination of the two. Thus helping to further reduce potential for compressive injuries.

Does that much weight over your head ever worry you (accident potential?)

only when idiots go behind me when I'm doing them. I've dropped the weight a few times due to using soft sneakers instead of hard ones, and I've had people bitch at me too including the owner of the gym. I politely asked her why she has olympic rubber bumper plates if we weren't allowed to drop them? [huh] and it still amazes met hat 90% of the trainers don't know what o-lifting is.

one of these days I'll post a comprehensive list of my stats, BP, c-reactive ect. .

Health_nutty, what do you usually do during your workouts?

#9 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:05 AM

Health_nutty, what do you usually do during your workouts?

I'll be interested in your stats. You are on the bleeding edge in effective supplementation.

I posted my routine in this section. Did you mean how much weight or how fast do I run?

#10 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:51 PM

I posted my routine in this section. Did you mean how much weight or how fast do I run?

both [glasses] along with as many details as you have. and anything else you feel is relevant to your workout. I'm sure we can learn from each other.

I'm still getting into the running part of the routine, 6mph for 10 minutes is a joke. [sad]

combined I only run for 30 minutes a week, you're at 90+ [:o] you must have an impressive systolic BP along with an increased LVEF.

#11 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

For running I highly recommend sprint intervals.

My blood pressure was around 100-110 over ??? 3 or 4 months ago. Recently it has shot up to 120-130 over 70-80. I'm not sure why (maybe creatine or glucosamine that I've added around that time?).

My resting pulse is now 55bpm.

My steady state endurance is better than average I'm sure, but isn't stellar. I've run 5 miles in 35 minutes but it about killed me. I've run longer (10 miles or so), but was just trying to finish :).

I'm 5'10" 152 pounds and about 8-9% bf (calipers). I feel like a beginner on weights again. I've worked up to the following (after getting back into training for the last 3 or 4 months). I was also fatter in my peak (185lbs @ 15-20%bf)

In pounds:
Bench: 115x8 (185x5 in my peak)
Squat: 160x10 (250x5 in my peak)
Weighted chins: BW+10x8 (BW + 45 x 5 imp)
Sumo Deads: 205x10 (335x10 imp)
Weighted crunch: 57.5x8 (135x8 imp)
Barbell curls: 55x8
Sidebends: 60x8 (115x8 imp)

I really need to get my butt in gear and get my cholesterol reading done as well as other bloodwork.

Edited by health_nutty, 06 April 2007 - 10:53 PM.

#12 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

I'm still getting into the running part of the routine, 6mph for 10 minutes is a joke. [sad]

When I first read that I was impressed because I was thinking a 6 minute mile (10 mph) for 10 minutes (which actually isn't easy).

BTW, For your goals I think you would like HIIT a lot (high intensity interval training). I think you would like too based on your workout.

Edited by health_nutty, 07 April 2007 - 12:09 AM.

#13 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

holy crap!
[:o] [:o] http://www.beastskil...lappingHSPU.htm

and I thought freestanding pushups were hard. it will probably take me months to do clapping freestanding pushups.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

karomesis, have you ever tried the one-armed wheel rollout?

http://www.beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm

#15 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

karomesis, have you ever tried the one-armed wheel rollout?

not yet, but I always enjoy pushing myself beyond the limits. it'll probably take me longer to do that than the clap handstands. 6+ months at least.

have you tried it?

#16 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Yeah, I've tried it. At about 75% of the way down I realized I needed to prepare for impact with the floor. I can get down stable with the two handed rollout, getting back up is a little bit ugly, though.

#17 Karomesis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:45 AM

I'm 5'10" 152 pounds and about 8-9% bf (calipers). I feel like a beginner on weights again. I've worked up to the following (after getting back into training for the last 3 or 4 months). I was also fatter in my peak (185lbs @ 15-20%bf)

In pounds:
Bench: 115x8 (185x5 in my peak)
Squat: 160x10 (250x5 in my peak)
Weighted chins: BW+10x8 (BW + 45 x 5 imp)
Sumo Deads: 205x10 (335x10 imp)
Weighted crunch: 57.5x8 (135x8 imp)
Barbell curls: 55x8
Sidebends: 60x8 (115x8 imp)

I really need to get my butt in gear and get my cholesterol reading done as well as other bloodwork.

you have a great BW-strength ratio. [thumb]

I'm 220 lbs, 5'11" 3/4. needless to say, I'd stick out at the next imminst gathering. [wis]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

you have a great BW-strength ratio. [thumb]

I'm 220 lbs, 5'11" 3/4.  needless to say, I'd stick out at the next imminst gathering. [wis]

Thanks for the kind comment, but I sure don't feel strong even for my size :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users