Photo
- - - - -

Berry Extracts.....confused

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hst1

• 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:45 AM

I'm having a hard time understanding the value of berry extracts. My LEF blueberry supplement has less 15mg of Anthocyanins while a serving of fresh blueberries (100g or 4 oz) has between 100 and 200 mg. So my Lef supplement is equivalent to less than .5 oz of blueberries?? Correct?? See the below chart (I did cross reference it with other studies and found similar results). I found the same results for bilberry, raspberry, cherry, and cranberry extract supplements. The supplements just don't add up to any significant equivalent.

On the bright side, during my search for equivalents I found several extracts that are very potent (high equivalencies). Pom, green tea, curcumin, grape seed extract. Any others?

Am I missing something about the berry extracts?

Anthocyanin Content in mg per 100g fresh weight
Cranberry 60
Black currant 250
Currant, red 15
Grape, Merlot fruit 120
Raspberry, red 40
Raspberry, black 300
Strawberry 45
Blueberries - wild lowbush 200
Blueberries - highbush 100
Bilberries 450
Partridgeberry/Lingonberry 130
Blackberries 200

#2 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

BAC sells a "Fruit Antioxidant Extract" containing (per labeling) serving size 1/5 tsp or 530 mg: 30 mg Optiberry Anthocyanin Extract; 100 mg each of the the following- apple skin extract, blueberry extract, white cherry extract, pomegranate extract and prune extract.

No doubt other, relatively potent extract supplements are available, ISTM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

Your best bet is to get the fruit itself, dried, frozen or fresh if you can.

#4 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

While the dose in a supplement is relatively low you will probably have less of a problem downing them daily for the next 30 years then x servings of n foods.

#5 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:04 PM

I don't use any of these multi-berry powders. They basically give broad anti-oxidant coverage, but they're not standardized for anything, AFAIK. For me, raising my ORAC intake is of no importance -- instead I want to target polyphenols/berries that deliver a proven unique benefit.

That said, these *mixed* berry extract powders are better than nothing, and would likely be of benefit to most Average Joe's on the street. But, if you already eat fairly well and have a decent supp program, I think you'll not gain much value from them.

Edit: Added "mixed" for clarity.

Edited by DukeNukem, 07 April 2007 - 06:20 PM.

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hmmm....dunno. Is not t-resveratrol a highly purified fruit or plant extract?

#7 hst1

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

tintinet,

I'm not saying that all fruit/berry extracts are weak. Assuming the evidence that a glass of wine has about 1mg of resveratrol then the supplement that I take daily is equivalent to 37 glasses of wine.

The same for pom, green tea, grape seed extracts, curcurmin...all have very good equivalents.

I just cannot justify taking a berry extract pill that is equivalent to just a few berries (maybe a tablespoon).

I agree with Duke, the only people that would benefit from these weak berry extracts is someone that doesn't eat berries.. the "average joe" that only eats berries a few time a year. In this case some is better than none.

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

Likely so. I eat many berries daily (blue, straw, goji, inca/golden, cran) and I still take fruit/berry extracts, at least intermittently (but I'm a habitual supplement addict! [tung] )

#9 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

tintinet,

I'm not saying that all fruit/berry extracts are weak.  Assuming the evidence that a glass of wine has about 1mg of resveratrol then the supplement that I take daily is equivalent to 37 glasses of wine. 

The same for pom, green tea, grape seed extracts, curcurmin...all have very good equivalents.

I just cannot justify taking a berry extract pill that is equivalent to just a few berries (maybe a tablespoon).

I agree with Duke, the only people that would benefit from these weak berry extracts is someone that doesn't eat berries.. the "average joe" that only eats berries a few time a year.  In this case some is better than none.

I came to the same conclusion as you and Duke.

#10 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

I have no access to fruits such as mangosteen, noni, goji or acai. Well, goji is the only one I can get in dried form or expensive pulp (finally found a 100% pure pulp in a glass bottle so no nasty preservatives!). So those inexepensive extracts are a nice way to introduce otherwise impossible nutrients to my diet.

The extracts are also a good way to get the nutrients, without the sugar. Also some of these are really cheap, so you can take more than 1 serving without much added cost. 1 punnet of blueberries is sometimes AU$8 or more, and your lucky if there is no fungus attached!

#11 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

BAC has a black raspberry extract powder that is 25% anthocyanins. 400 mg will get you the anthocyanins in 100 grams worth of blueberries for around $0.25 .

#12 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

Anthocyanins, yes, but I don't think they are the same profile of substances present in blueberries. Even different varieties of blueberries possess a different profile WRT to
their chemical constituents. But likely a worthy addition- I rarely eat black raspberries.

#13 chrisp2

• 166 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

I take two of LEF's Blueberry extract with Pomegranate a day, one in the morning and one in the evening... And generally eat blueberries (frozen) daily at lunch.

#14 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:10 AM

I use "Mircale Reds" from iHerb ( http://www.iherb.com...s&pid=MGI-00108 ) and at $60, for 90 days supply, I don't think I could beat that with real fruit. First I would have to eat too much and second the price would be prohibitive and anyway, I don't like fruit.

I think the broad spectrum of antioxidants and variety of special compounds in these powders provides a good overall protection. I don't believe that eating 5grams of one antioxidant is as useful as eating 5 grams of 50 different antioxidants. I think variety is more useful, puts less strain on the body and allows for different areas of the body to be catered for.

As for strength of the extract, if one dose is not enough take another or even several doses.

#15 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

Interesting stuff, that...I have a sample pack in my pantry, likely from iherb.com or the like...might have ta give it spin, perhaps also this company's Miracle Greens etc.

#16 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

That miracle red stuff is pretty cool, I wish they had standardized extracts along with the exact amount of each berry, but then i guess you cant have it all

#17 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Agree: "proprietary blends" always rather annoy me- often so much I'll refuse to purchase the product.

#18 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:51 AM

BAC sells a "Fruit Antioxidant Extract" containing (per labeling) serving size 1/5 tsp or 530 mg: 30 mg Optiberry Anthocyanin Extract; 100 mg each of the the following- apple skin extract, blueberry extract, white cherry extract, pomegranate extract and prune extract.

The product description is vague

Each dose also contains 100mg each of extracts of prune skin, blueberry leaf, apple skin, pomegranate, & white cherry which contain 60-80% polyphenols

so I asked for more detail. BAC's president said that

apple skin is >5% phloridzin; pomegranate is 70% ellagic acid; and 70:1 blueberry leaf is >25% chlorogenic acid

I'm disappointed that it isn't standardized for punicosides instead of ellagic acid. The president said he mixes it with some Pom40p extract to make up for this.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

I take the BAC "fruit antioxidant blend" and also the Pom40p, seems like a good combination as I want both the ellagic acid and the punicosides.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users