Photo
- - - - -

GABA Deficiency?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 shamus

• 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:40 AM

So I did the Braverman Test not long ago (along with a grain of salt, as often suggested), and much to my suprise, some of the questions in regards to GABA deficiency identified my problems SO well, I honestly could not have worded them better myself.

I can't remember phone numbers. T/F
I have trouble finding the ‘right word’. T/F
I have trouble remembering things when I am put on the spot. T/F
I know I am intelligent, but it is hard to show others. T/F
When I read, I find I have to go back over the same paragraph a few times to absorb
the information. T/F
I am a quick thinker, but can’t always say what I mean. T/F
I tend to be fickle, changing my mood and thoughts frequently. T / F
I tend to get overly excited about things. T / F
My impulses tend to get me into a lot of trouble. T / F
I tend to be theatrical and draw attention to myself. T / F

The physical questions were of little relevance to me (nervous, shaky, sweaty etc.), but it described my mental and personality problems so well that I immediately scoured these forums to see what I can do about it. I found that most of the test results people posted indicated a GABA deficiency, and the best ways to combat this are Bacopa, Theanine, GABA and Phenibut. This however, was through many unconnected posts, and random bits of material.

Could anyone walk me through a GABA deficiency, it's implications, and possible remedies?

Muchos gracias all [thumb]

#2 shamus

• Topic Starter
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Nobody?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

IMO living life through balanced nutrition, exercise, people etc.
I don't think there's one "GABA pill" that will help here, and I know that's not what you're looking for.

:)

#4 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

I tested positive for a gaba deficiency as well, I find that a nice sencha green tea (l-theanine), and a shake with bcaa's as well as glutamine and taurine seems to help.

#5 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

I think I have posted this at least twice already but again here are the tools that have been effective for me and my GABA issues.

Theanine 200 mg day BID
Ashwagandha very low dose day once or BID (100-200mg) and high dose night 1 gram (NOW brand)
Bacopa at night 500 mg
Pyroglutamate 2-3 grams bid
GABA powder 100 mg BID

* note, phenibut, just like benzos, seems like a bad idea for daily habitual use as both seem to have tolerance and rebound issues.

#6 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

just curious as to what BID stands for?

#7 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

BID stands for twice daily
TID three times daily
QID four times daily

#8 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Are there any pharmacological equivalents of SSRIs for GABA? You know, a SGRI? Something a shrink would give you?

#9 transcendent

• 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:01 AM

Phenelzine elevates levels of GABA in the caudate-putamen and nucleus accumbens

#10 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

I wonder if all GABA-enhancers are MAO-I's?

#11 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

I wonder if all GABA-enhancers are MAO-I's?

Nope, most gaba enhancers are not mao-i s (examples: xanax, valium, ashwagandha, theanine, etc.)

Here is a good article about GABA and it mentions a SGRI (selective gaba reuptake inhibitor) apparently there is only one currently available: Gabitril/ Tiagabine (seems interesting)

http://www.vcu-cme.o...ba/teaching.pdf

#12 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

its interesting yopu mention l-theanine. I used some of the stuff and had stomach cramps. probably because of the capsules.

#13 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

its very hard to get tough, cant find it anywhere

#14 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

According to Wikipedia, phenelzine (being an MAO-I) is dangerous.

I'm having good benefits with phenibut. I wonder if it's a GABA enhancer.

#15 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Here is a good article about GABA and it mentions a SGRI (selective gaba reuptake inhibitor) apparently there is only one currently available: Gabitril/Tiagabine

I'm very confused about this statement (from the URL):

[airquote] A decrease in GABAergic neurotransmission is involved in the pathogenesis of several neurologic disorders, including epilepsy, chronic pain, and anxiety. On the other hand, drugs that enhance activity at the GABA-A receptor are often effective in the treatment of these disorders. GABAergic mechanisms appear to be important in both anxiolytic and sedative medications [/airquote]

How can it both decrease the transmission, and enhance activity at the receptors?

#16 transcendent

• 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

its very hard to get tough, cant find it anywhere

To get a prescription all I had to do was point out its superior efficacy in treating social anxiety to my psychiatrist. Then one phone call to my local walmart and they had some for me by noon the next day.

#17 stillalive

• 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Gaba defiency seems to be realtivly normal. It's bad that there aren't any really good supplements for raising GABA, like there are for other transmitters like sertonine(5htp, st john's worth which are both very effective).

There seems to be some potentional GABA drugs listed in the pdf edward posted. Nut checked them up, but all are way too expensive for normal people.

Phenelzine is a MAOI so you need to follow diet restrications to not get too much tyramine and you cant combine it with other sertonine supplements like 5htp. Dosen't sound like a good idea to fix a GABA defiency.

#18 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

There seems to be some potentional GABA drugs listed in the pdf edward posted. Nut checked them up, but all are way too expensive for normal people.

If you get a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist or neurologist and have insurance these compounds should only cost you about a $15 copay a month. Many of the "mood stabilizers" which were originally marketed as anticonvulsants for epilepsy have effects on the gaba system and anyone could get these, though personally ashwagandha and theanine work great for me.

#19 stillalive

• 28 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

How about L-glutamine, the precursor to GABA? Haven't much of it so perhaps it isn't so effective.

Taurine seems like a good suplement for suporting GABA, even if it's indirect. Anyone with experiences with taurine?

#20 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Taurine seems to have a mild calming effect.

#21 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

Don't forget that a magnesium deficiency is VERY similar in symptoms to a GABA deficiency. Magnesium is a glutamate antagonist and it potentates the effects of GABA. Try to get magnesium citrate if possible (better absorption). I think magnesium oxide effects stomach acids.

Taurine simulates GABA-A receptors, it blocks the reuptake of GABA and it is a glutamate antagonist like magnesium.

#22 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

I'll check my supps for magnesium. What dietary sources provide magnesium?

#23 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

I'll check my supps for magnesium.  What dietary sources provide magnesium?

Broccoli, spanich, almonds, other nuts.

#24 seahorse75

• 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

Here is a good article about GABA and it mentions a SGRI (selective gaba reuptake inhibitor) apparently there is only one currently available: Gabitril/Tiagabine

I'm very confused about this statement (from the URL):

[airquote] A decrease in GABAergic neurotransmission is involved in the pathogenesis of several neurologic disorders, including epilepsy, chronic pain, and anxiety. On the other hand, drugs that enhance activity at the GABA-A receptor are often effective in the treatment of these disorders. GABAergic mechanisms appear to be important in both anxiolytic and sedative medications [/airquote]

How can it both decrease the transmission, and enhance activity at the receptors?

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, enhanced activity at its receptor site would therefore have inhibitory (lowered excitation) hence antianxiolytic effects.

#25 seahorse75

• 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

According to Wikipedia, phenelzine (being an MAO-I) is dangerous.

I'm having good benefits with phenibut. I wonder if it's a GABA enhancer.

MAOIs have horrible side effects, terrible headaches and hypertention. plus intense dietary restrictions. horrible horrible class of drugs. not worth the money time or experiment. I've already tried them, and flushed the entire 90 day supply down the toilet. my 2 cents. better to try non pharmacological alternatives.

#26 seahorse75

• 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

I'll check my supps for magnesium. What dietary sources provide magnesium?

Broccoli, spanich, almonds, other nuts.

almonds have excellent calming effects. I have them everyday.
I tried Mag citrate, it didn't just lower the anxiety it finished it. I actually had absolutely no drive left and didn't feel like doing anything after taking one pill. in other words lowering anxiety is ideal , finishing it , atleast for me , wasn't a good idea.

#27 seahorse75

• 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

I think I have posted this at least twice already but again here are the tools that have been effective for me and my GABA issues.

Theanine 200 mg day BID
Ashwagandha very low dose day once or BID (100-200mg) and high dose night 1 gram (NOW brand)
Bacopa at night 500 mg
GABA powder 100 mg BID

* note, phenibut, just like benzos, seems like a bad idea for daily habitual use as both seem to have tolerance and rebound issues.

i remember taking Bacopa several years ago. I remember I had to discontinue it because it was causing mental confusion; while studying that is, even though I was taking a very small amount. I'm reluctant to try it again. tried ashwaganda for a few months, didn't really feel a difference; mainly its an antioxidant and effects may not be noted. i will look for foods with more theanine though. I haven't tried that yet for anxiety.

#28 seahorse75

• 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

Theanine 200 mg day BID
Bacopa at night 500 mg
GABA powder 100 mg BID

i remember taking Bacopa several years ago. I remember I had to discontinue it because it was causing mental confusion; while studying that is, even though I was taking a very small amount. I'm reluctant to try it again. tried ashwaganda for a few months, didn't really feel a difference; mainly its an antioxidant and effects may not be noted. i will look for foods with more theanine though. I haven't tried that yet for anxiety.

I tried the green tea rich in theanine. maybe it's good for those who don't have to study and process information. I have to study and need the glutametergic activity for information processing. it can be controlled and monitored with foods rich in Magnessium, however.
For me, I think its probably best to cut down on sugar, coffee and teas. these seem to cause me the most anxiety and neuronal overexcitation.
sometimes less of something is more, I believe.
so I will be staying away from drugs and herbs and such and focus more on healthy foods, avoiding the unhealthy ones.
here is a website to help with healthy foods: http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.com/
Good luck to all.

#29 ThrasherDD

• 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

So I did the Braverman Test not long ago (along with a grain of salt, as often suggested), and much to my suprise, some of the questions in regards to GABA deficiency identified my problems SO well, I honestly could not have worded them better myself.

I can't remember phone numbers. T/F
I have trouble finding the ‘right word’. T/F
I have trouble remembering things when I am put on the spot. T/F
I know I am intelligent, but it is hard to show others. T/F
When I read, I find I have to go back over the same paragraph a few times to absorb
the information. T/F
I am a quick thinker, but can’t always say what I mean. T/F
I tend to be fickle, changing my mood and thoughts frequently. T / F
I tend to get overly excited about things. T / F
My impulses tend to get me into a lot of trouble. T / F
I tend to be theatrical and draw attention to myself. T / F

The physical questions were of little relevance to me (nervous, shaky, sweaty etc.), but it described my mental and personality problems so well that I immediately scoured these forums to see what I can do about it. I found that most of the test results people posted indicated a GABA deficiency, and the best ways to combat this are Bacopa, Theanine, GABA and Phenibut. This however, was through many unconnected posts, and random bits of material.

Could anyone walk me through a GABA deficiency, it's implications, and possible remedies?

Muchos gracias all [thumb]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 ThrasherDD

• 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

GABA can be purchased as a supplement in pill, capsule and powder forms, but it can also be obtained through eating complex carbohydrates. Supplements can be purchased at most stores specializing in vitamin and supplement products or on line.When choosing to introduce GABA through dietary means, eating complex carbohydrates will boost your level of glutamine which is an amino acid that works as a precursor to the production of GABA by the body. Complex carbs increase levels of glutamate which in turn creates glutamine, an important amino needed in the production of GABA. Amino acids such as glutamine are destroyed by cooking, so eating plant-based foods in their raw form is best. With this in mind, if you're eating complex carbs to boost your production of GABA it is important to avoid foods that contain large amounts simple sugars, refined white flours and wheat products. Foods to include in your diet include:

* Almonds
* Bananas
* Beef Liver
* Broccoli
* Brown Rice
* Halibut
* Lentils
* Oranges and other citrus fruits
* Rice bran
* Spinach
* Walnuts
* Whole grain oats