Photo
- - - - -

Individualized Capsules

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ageless

• 219 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

Just to let everyone know... I recently ordered my own custom made supplements from the company that goes by custom capsule. I must say, I like the concept and am very satisfied by the product, from the bottle to the service, etc... [thumb]
I'm planning future orders, as who doesn't here like the idea of developing their own supplement.
Looking forward to even more ingredients to choose from and I am wondering if others here have tried this service out and their thoughts. Good and bad of course!

#2 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:10 AM

I plan on trying them; been waiting for some more and better quality ingredients. I imagine you must be saving quite bit of time every day. What's in your custom stack?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

i checked out their website and it does look interesting. more ingredients would definitely be a better option.

#4 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

I have placed my order and it has been processed and apparently shipped. The tracking info however is a bit curious:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 23, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Given that it is now the 30th, what gives? Have they really not recieved it or are they just not very good at at updating this info?

I have been waiting for CC to add to their supplement list and they have promised that they are doing so. I think it would be nice if they published a list of what they intend to order. I also think it would be nice if they published a list of supps on their web site that they are considering so that people can vote whether they would be intrested.

I think this is a great service that could make life a lot easier here for everyone if they are able to adapt a bit to the needs of people here on this group.

Finally I have also come across a similar service:

http://www.mitamins.com/

They have a few supps that CC don't but i see 2 drawbacks with this service;

1. Less flexible doseage amounts.
2. Price - considerably more from what I can tell.

Never the less, for those with the money, they may be a good addition to CC at least until CC gets more supps in their range.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

OK, I will leave this thread open, as long as I don't see a lot of "CC is great", "order from CC", CC this, CC that. No links, unless they are for comparison purposes. I realize this is a nice service for members, but Imminst does not allow commercial spam/advertising in the forum posts. If you have a question about your order you can send an email or PM to capsule_guy. He is the company representative and a member.

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

Since we would like to discuss the service and not one particular company I am changing the name of this thread to "Individualized Capsules". Unless someone can think of a better name ("made to order capsules"?)

#7 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:09 AM

Mind, the original post "is" one of them "CC is great" posts.

I'd say this is an advertisement thread. The first post by the CC guy was obvious by lacking any clear substance at all. This thread should be deleted.

Am I the only one who can conclude this?

#8 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:17 AM

I think this is a great service that could make life a lot easier here for everyone if they are able to adapt a bit to the needs of people here on this group.

Finally I have also come across a similar service:

http://www.mitamins.com/

They have a few supps that CC don't but i see 2 drawbacks with this service;

1. Less flexible doseage amounts.
2. Price - considerably more from what I can tell.

Never the less, for those with the money, they may be a good addition to CC at least until CC gets more supps in their range.

Thanks for pointing this out. Competition is is always good!

They do have a few ingredients that CC doesn't have, like CoQ10 (although unfortunately not ubiquinol), IP6, Omega 3, SAMe, GABA, Huperzine A, Fo-Ti Extract, and more. They dont yet have Resveratrol, which I'm hoping someone gets soon in a highly pure form (and at a competitive price) so that I can make a custom synergized res capsule to get around the issue of taking too much quercetin for example, if taking high doses of AOR's Res supplement.

Edited by niteinnyc, 30 April 2007 - 03:09 AM.

#9 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:24 AM

I'd say this is an advertisement thread.  The first post by the CC guy was obvious by lacking any clear substance at all.  This thread should be deleted. 

While you could possibly conclude that from the first post alone taken out of context, I don't feel that this is an "ad thread" nor biased in any way towards CC when viewed in it's entirety. The introduction of a competitor to the conversation, which could potentially be superior to CC, may even in fact make this thread negative in bias towards CC. Also, the first post seems to be from a member with a diverse history of posting. I believe that the moderator took the appropriate course of action in posting a warning, changing the name and allowing this thread to exist for the benefit and education of the members.

Edited by niteinnyc, 30 April 2007 - 01:43 AM.

#10 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:30 AM

While you could say that about the first post alone, I don't feel that this is an ad thread nor biased in any way towards CC when viewed in it's entirety. The introduction of a competitor to the conversation, which could potentially be superior to CC, may even in fact make this thread negative in bias towards CC. Also, the first post seems to be from a member with a diverse history of posting.  I believe that the moderator took the appropriate course of action in posting a warning, changing the name and allowing this thread to exist for the benefit and education of the members.

Name me one competitor. That is what I thought.

This debunks your theory in its entirety, sorry.

#11 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:33 AM

While you could say that about the first post alone, I don't feel that this is an ad thread nor biased in any way towards CC when viewed in it's entirety. The introduction of a competitor to the conversation, which could potentially be superior to CC, may even in fact make this thread negative in bias towards CC. Also, the first post seems to be from a member with a diverse history of posting.  I believe that the moderator took the appropriate course of action in posting a warning, changing the name and allowing this thread to exist for the benefit and education of the members.

Name me one competitor. That is what I thought.

This debunks your theory in its entirety, sorry.

Debunks which theory? I stated the obvious, no theory here.

You have me confused - why do I need to name a competitor when you can simply read the thread?

#12 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:44 AM

Ohhhh, mitamins. Don't I feel dumb now..... :(

#13 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:50 AM

Ohhhh, mitamins.  Don't I feel dumb now..... :(

Well at least you came back with some humility. :) Don't sweat it, I've made a few of cocky assertions only to end up with the ol' scrambled egg mask.

#14 ageless

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:51 AM

I'd say this is an advertisement thread.  The first post by the CC guy was obvious by lacking any clear substance at all.  This thread should be deleted. 

Oh my, boo hoo. Again you're wrong for the second time in this thread, by assuming that I am in some way related to custom capsule and their advertisement scheme. The only connection I have to them is as a customer with an interest in such a product. No different than someone posting about a particular company or a particular product and having a discussion about it. ie. AOR ortho mind, Now Adam, LEF CoQ10, etc...
I welcome more competition to this 'individualized capsules' idea and was quick to check out Mitamins... thank you resvhead!!
I would encourage CC to look into more ingredients and high quality ones and I encourage Mitamins to be more specific when it comes to their ingredients. ie.. L-selenomethionine and not just selenium and if the doses are standardized to what % and if they are elemental, etc... I think they should add a feature similar to CC where you can click on the ingredient and get detailed info on it and what source they use and the % standardization, etc... Overall I find the Mitamins site confusing but I only took a quick look thus far. Not sure on the price comparison issue yet.
This customized idea really hits the nail on the head for me in terms of allowing me to get exactly what I want, dose and ingredient wise, while allowing me to use my creativity in doing so. I welcome more companies. Maybe this is the future of supplementation for the picky supplement users, such as myself and many more here, I would be inclined to guess. If only a company such as AOR could venture into this territory with their expertise and vast array of quality ingredients.
I don't want to be playing with 50 different bottles everyday, twice or more a day.

#15 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

My intrest in getting an individualised capsule is basically to make life easier and to allow me to spread out my dosages. It also works out cheaper for me.

If I can take 2 caps 5 times a day and not have to think if I have the right combo, I think this is a big plus for me. I see it in the same way that I see a multi Vit but I get a bit more control. I also will be gettin 5 smaller doses throughout the day which saves me from worring about sustained release to a certain extent.

I have found that things like Policosanol is much cheaper this way as compared to my local vitamin shop but probably wouldn't beat a dedicated multi.

The disadvantages I see are, the need for multple formulations if you take different doses during the day, the limited set of supps available and the single supplier for all your supps.

Personally I would like to see this succeed, not so much for the individual supplier but because success breeds copycats which in turn will give me more choice. My positive attitude to this is about the concept rather than the individual suppliers. I have no loyalty and will switch if something better comes along.

It is nice that there is at least one competitor but I would love to hear of more so if anyone knows of any, please let me know. Perhaps Anthony L will get intrested in something like this??

#16 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

I am all about saving money. That is the most important thing for me. When one takes the quantity of supplements in which I do, I has to worry about their expenditure! I would have to take probably 15-20 capsules 3-4 times a day. This would no doubt cost me a fortune if I were to use a service such as this. This is a good thing for them people that are albeit a little too lazy and have the A LOT of money (I hope) to waste.

There are pros and cons to almost everything in life. There are cons to using a service such as this.

In my opinion, it is way more feasible to buy bulk powder and cap your own or just take your stuff by the powder.

Don't get me wrong, I do take around 20 pills a day also along with probably a tbsp or two of powder LOL.

Good for lazy, rich individuals! Bad for those of us trying to abide by a budget.

#17 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

It isn't for everyone, especially right now. It depends on how much time and headache you can save per month and what that is worth to you. You can spend the time and effort to shovel your own snow off your sidewalk or you can give the kid $20, it just depends on which you value more (you people living in warm climates don't laugh at me, just substitute mowing the lawn in the analogy).

I think whoever becomes the "Amazon" of this business will win. That is, whomever offers every supplement available, at a good price and with good service.

For right now, a custom 98% resveratrol capsule with your custom synergist dosages will be pretty ground-breaking, I think.

Edited by niteinnyc, 30 April 2007 - 07:48 AM.

#18 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

I am hesitantly posting in this thread as the previous thread, which I started, ended up being too company specific and thus I am hesitant to get involved in this thread... But here goes. So far this service has made my life a lot easier (and over all cheaper). I created and take 1 generalized "edward mix" and 1 "resveratrol/flavanoid/synergistic mix" twice a day along with other stuff that is just not available with customized solutions yet. I am hoping that some company (or the "unnamed" company I order from) will come out with a greater variety of ingredients and more concentrated herbal extracts (my big gripe because the less concentrated the extract the more space it takes up in the capsule, just like the enemy: fillers). Although 50% t-res is not bad, the emodin really does a number on me so a 98% or even an 80% would be great.

Edit, Note: I would love to be able to cap my own supplements but the bottom line is that to create a complex formula I would need scales, capping machines, patience, time and expertise that I do not have.

Edited by edward, 30 April 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#19 ageless

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

I am hesitantly posting in this thread as the previous thread, which I started, ended up being too company specific and thus I am hesitant to get involved in this thread... But here goes. So far this service has made my life a lot easier (and over all cheaper). I created and take 1 generalized "edward mix" and 1 "resveratrol/flavanoid/synergistic mix" twice a day along with other stuff that is just not available with customized solutions yet. I am hoping that some company (or the "unnamed" company I order from) will come out with a greater variety of ingredients and more concentrated herbal extracts (my big gripe because the less concentrated the extract the more space it takes up in the capsule, just like the enemy: fillers). Although 50% t-res is not bad, the emodin really does a number on me so a 98% or even an 80% would be great.

Edit, Note: I would love to be able to cap my own supplements but the bottom line is that to create a complex formula I would need scales, capping machines, patience, time and expertise that I do not have.

Edward mix eh...lol nice.
I am hoping to use the best service provided by whatever company can woo me with quality, selection and service, while remaining affordable. I am planning on developing my own products to complement AOR's Multi Basics and a few other supplements I regularly use. I want to eventually develop a flavanoid/anti-inflammatory/anti-oxidant product that targets the Cox and Lox pathways of inflammation (Boswellia + Curcumin plus others); a mitochondrial optimizer (NRLA+ALC), A methyl donor (B6, B12, folic acid+TMG); and ideally an anti-glycation product (Benfotiamine+Pyridoxamine). Currently I can do all with CC, except for the last one and use AOR's Age Amadori for this. This targets and supports my research into anti-aging theories, while preventing disease and optimizing health.
I also have my fat burner and sleep aid scoped out and think it more pratical to use bulk powders for my pre-during-post workout ingredients.
I will support whatever company does this best and look forward to this technology improving as competition heats up. If people take advantage of current providers of such service, I can only see things get better as competition sees this service as viable and profitable.

#20 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

I am all about saving money.  That is the most important thing for me.  When one takes the quantity of supplements in which I do, I has to worry about their expenditure!  I would have to take probably 15-20 capsules 3-4 times a day.  This would no doubt cost me a fortune if I were to use a service such as this.  This is a good thing for them people that are albeit a little too lazy and have the A LOT of money (I hope) to waste.

If I took what I want as individual supplements, I would end up taking many more caps than my individualised caps. For instance in the individualised cap I have just ordered, I have 24 ingredients. If I take 10 of these a day, I should get about the dose I am seeking. I could also buy 24 different supplements and take 24 or more caps per day. I take less caps this way as I have less filler, unwanted ingredients and all the caps are 00 which hold a reasonable amount.

If I brought 24 different seperate supplements, I would be paying at least $10 per 30 day bottle. That would be at least $240 per month. My individualised caps cost me around $55 for a single batch which has 300 caps ie. 30 days supply. This service is SAVING me a fortune.

I am not lazy and am certainly not into wasting money.

There are pros and cons to almost everything in life.  There are cons to using a service such as this.

In my opinion, it is way more feasible to buy bulk powder and cap your own or just take your stuff by the powder. 

Don't get me wrong, I do take around 20 pills a day also along with probably a tbsp or two of powder LOL.

Good for lazy, rich individuals!  Bad for those of us trying to abide by a budget.

I currently buy bulk powder but mainly for things that I take larger quantities of. I made a new batch up over the weekend of 250 caps with 8 supps. I have made up a whole array of different caps in the past and will no doubt do so in future. Buying bulk powder has it's place but is not the be all and end all.

Sometimes, having the facilities and equipment to make stuff quickly makes if unviable to do it at home. I always laugh at people who spend $500 to make a book case at home when I buy my equally goo one for $50. Then they tell me that they did it to save money. Bad maths is bad maths so stop hitting on everyone for being lazy rich individuals and start looking at your own poor budgeting.

#21 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:13 AM

Now that Custom Capsule is a imminst sponsor, can we talk about them? I would love to know their timetable for new supplements requested as I want to place my next order soon.

#22 ageless

• Topic Starter
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

When did this happen? Any chance custom capsule could have a savings code for imminst members? I know I've been a customer and fan since I found them.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi ageless,

Try looking here:

http://www.imminst.o...&t=16101&hl=&s=

Thread on "Unsaturated Fat"

I was not aware that sponsors have savings codes for imminst members, now if I can only get iHerb to sponsor, I'd save a fortune ;)

Do you have any idea about when CC will be updating their supps list?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users