- - - - -

Prevagen?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

http://www.prevagen.com/faq.aspx

I happened to plug in "anti-aging mitochdrial supplement" in to google looking for new things that I may not have heard of and lo and behold..."prevagen"...ha! Sounds quacky and its slick marketing is jellyfish help you live longer, at least a protein from them. How legitimate this is I don't know and clearly sounds shady from the start, but I thought it'd be fun to see what the board thinks.

What if a friend said to you, "Hey, XXX, you're all in to that anti-aging stuff and take all kinds of supplements, right? Well, I was on the internet (or watching an infomercial, or reading in People Magazine, etc.) and this Prevagen stuff is supposed to be a breakthrough. Can you tell me what you think of it?"

I am sure you've heard questions like that. So, I thought it'd be fun to look at one here and have the board break it down.

#2 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

A couple of Q&A's from the FAQ:

Q) Why jellyfish?
A) The calcium-binding proteins found in a rare jellyfish are very similar to the age-fighting proteins contained within our bodies that decrease over time. Prevagen is the only way to replace these proteins.

Age-fighting proteins? Hmm.

Q) What is "calcium-mediated cell death''?
A) Loss of Ca2+ homeostasis, often in the form of cytoplasmic increases, leads to cell injury. Depending upon cell type and the intensity of Ca2+ toxicity, the ensuing pathology can be reversible or irreversible. Although multiple destructive processes are activated by Ca2+, lethal outcomes are determined largely by Ca2+-induced mitochondrial permeability transition. This form of damage is primarily dependent upon mitochondrial Ca2+ accumulation, which is regulated by the mitochondrial membrane potential. Retention of the mitochondrial membrane potential during Ca2+ increases favors mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake and overload, resulting in mitochondrial permeability transition and cell death. In contrast, dissipation of mitochondrial membrane potential reduces mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake, retards mitochondrial permeability transition, and delays death, even in cells with large Ca2+ increases. The rates of mitochondrial membrane potential dissipation and mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake may determine cellular sensitivity to Ca2+ toxicity under pathological conditions.

Any truth to this and aging?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

Brain Res. 1986 Jul 16;378(1):36-48. Links
Involvement of mitochondria in the age-dependent decrease in calcium uptake of rat brain synaptosomes.Vitorica J, Satrústegui J.
Calcium uptake in rat brain synaptosomes decreases during ageing. The possible involvement of mitochondria in altered calcium homeostasis has been investigated. Mitochondria isolated from old rat brain showed decreased calcium uptake rates. Since neither the mitochondrial membrane potential nor the delta pCa decreases with age, it was concluded that variations in the driving force for calcium uptake were not the cause for impaired calcium transport in mitochondria from aged rat brain. The steady state calcium distribution in isolated aged rat brain mitochondria was achieved at higher extramitochondrial calcium concentrations than that of adults. Studying the effects of the selective release of calcium from the mitochondrial pool by the addition of an uncoupler to 45Ca loaded synaptosomes incubated in high-potassium media, it was found that the intrasynaptic mitochondrial pool and the intra/extramitochondrial 45Ca distribution also decreased considerably in 24-month-old rats. Steady state fluorescence anisotropy (rs) of diphenylhexatriene-labelled mitoplasts from 'free' brain mitochondria increased with ageing. However, since no changes in rs from synaptosomal mitochondria were found in 24-month-old rats, it is suggested that alterations in lipid dynamics are not involved in the impaired calcium uptake observed in brain mitochondria from aged rats. The implications of these findings in the calcium homeostasis of brain endings are discussed.

J Neurochem. 2005 Jun;93(6):1361-70. Links
Age-dependent changes in the calcium sensitivity of striatal mitochondria in mouse models of Huntington's Disease.Brustovetsky N, LaFrance R, Purl KJ, Brustovetsky T, Keene CD, Low WC, Dubinsky JM.
Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA.

Striatal and cortical mitochondria from knock-in and transgenic mutant huntingtin mice were examined for their sensitivity to calcium induction of the permeability transition, a cause of mitochondrial depolarization and ATP loss. The permeability transition has been suggested to contribute to cell death in Huntington's Disease. Mitochondria were examined from slowly progressing knock-in mouse models with different length polyglutarnine expansions (Q20, Q50, Q92, Q111) and from the rapidly progressing transgenic R6/2 mice overexpressing exon I of human huntingtin with more than 110 polyglutamines. As previously observed in rats, striatal mitochondria from background strain CD1 and C57BL/6 control mice were more sensitive to calcium than cortical mitochondria. Between 5 and 12 months in knock-in Q92 mice and between 8 and 12 weeks in knock-in Q111 mice, striatal mitochondria developed resistance, becoming equally sensitive to calcium as cortical mitochondria, while those from Q50 mice were unchanged. Cortical mitochondrial calcium sensitivity did not change. In R6/2 mice striatal and cortical mitochondria were equally resistant to Ca2+ while striatal mitochondria from littermate controls were more susceptible. No increases in calcium sensitivity were observed in the mitochondria from Huntington's Disease (HD) mice compared to controls. Neither motor abnormalities, nor expression of cyclophilin D corresponded to the changes in mitochondrial sensitivity. Polyglutamine expansions in huntingtin produced an early increased resistance to calcium in striatal mitochondria suggesting mitochondria undergo compensatory changes in calcium sensitivity in response to the many cellular changes wrought by polyglutamine expansion.

Brain Region-Specific, Age-Related, Alterations in Mitochondrial Responses to Elevated Calcium: Mitochondria and Neuroprotection—In Memory of Albert L. Lehninger
Authors: Maile R. Brown1; James W. Geddes2; Patrick G. Sullivan3

Source: Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, Volume 36, Number 4, August 2004 , pp. 401-406(6)
Abstract:
An age-related Ca2+ dysregulation and increased production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) may contribute to late-onset neurodegenerative disorders. These alterations are often attributed to impaired mitochondrial function yet few studies have directly examined mitochondria isolated from various regions of the aged brain. The purpose of this study was to examine Ca2+-buffering and ROS production in mitochondria isolated from Fischer 344 rats ranging in age from 4 to 25 months. Mitchondria isolated from the cortex of the 25 month rat brain exhibited greater rates of ROS production and mitochondrial swelling in response to increasing Ca2+ loads as compared to mitochondria isolated from younger (4, 13 month) animals. The increased swelling is indicative of opening of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore indicating impaired Ca2+ buffering/cycling in aged animals. These age-related differences were not observed in mitochondria isolated from cerebellum. Together, these results demonstrate region specific, age-related, alterations in mitochondrial responses to Ca2+.

Buck Institute for age research:

Mitochondria, ATP, calcium, and oxidative stress
The cell body and processes of neurons are packed with mitochondria. These use the glycolytic product pyruvate to generate a membrane potential, which is, in turn, used to drive the ATP synthase nanomotor to produce ATP. The membrane potential is also used to accumulate calcium from the cytoplasm whenever its concentration there rises above 0.5 micromolar. This happens during chronic NMDA receptor activation (see above). Four events, singly or in combination, seem to decide whether the cell lives or dies, and if so, how. First, the sodium and calcium entry imposes an additional energy demand on the mitochondria, both to accumulate the calcium and to generate ATP for the plasma membrane ion pumps that are desperately trying to extrude the ions from the cell; this can lead to ATP collapse, from which the cell cannot recover. Second, it is generally assumed that the accumulation of calcium in the mitochondria may lead to the generation of toxic reactive oxygen species, although our recent results (Vesce et al. 2004) may lead to a re-evaluation of this assumption, since an increase in the level of superoxide in the cell can only be detected once the neurons are committed to necrotic cell death following the failure of cytoplasmic calcium homeostasis. Third, so much calcium may be accumulated by the mitochondria that they undergo the “permeability transition,” depolarize, and effectively die. Finally, the associated mitochondrial swelling can release cytochrome c and initiate programmed cell death.

#4 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

So it appears there's some legitimacy for the proposed mechanism and the proposed result of being anti-aging via Calcium and the mitochondrial membrane potential.

As for this specific supplement doing this in reality, clearly I don't know.

Thoughts?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

Prevagen is a protein? If so, what keeps it from being digested as food? Is it injected or taken by some non-oral route? Their language is infomercial-ish. That's never a good sign. (Prevagen is the "only way" to replace...)

#6 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

Brain Res. 2000 Mar 17;859(1):123-31.
Phytoestrogens decrease brain calcium-binding proteins but do not alter hypothalamic androgen metabolizing enzymes in adult male rats.
Lephart ED, Thompson JM, Setchell KD, Adlercreutz H, Weber KS.
Neuroscience Center, 633 WIDB, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA. edwin_lephart@byu.edu

Phytoestrogen [plant estrogenic-like molecule(s)] research has grown rapidly in recent years due to their potential health benefits. However, little is known about phytoestrogen's effects on the CNS. Androgen metabolizing enzymes are known to regulate neuroendocrine functions and reproductive behaviors, while calcium-binding proteins are associated with protecting against neurodegenerative diseases. Therefore, we examined aromatase and 5alpha-reductase enzyme activities in the medial basal hypothalamic and preoptic area (mbh-poa) and characterized mbh-poa and amygdala (amy) calbindin and calretinin levels (via Western analysis) from animals fed a phytoestrogen-free (P-free) vs. a phytoestrogen-containing diet [(P-600); that had 600 microg/g of phytoestrogens]. After approximately 5 weeks on the diets, the male rats were killed at 105 days. P-600 plasma phytoestrogen levels were 78-fold higher than the P-free values and the mbh-poa phytoestrogen content was 8-fold higher than the P-free group, demonstrating the passage of phytoestrogens into brain. In general, brain aromatase or 5alpha-reductase activity levels were not significantly altered by the experimental diets. However, independent of brain site (i.e., mbh-poa or amy) the abundance of calbindin from male P-600 rats was significantly lower than P-free animals. Conversely, for calretinin there were no significant alterations in the mbh-poa tissue site, while in the amy a similar pattern of expression was seen to that of the calbindin results. These data suggest that consumption of phytoestrogens via a soy diet for a relatively short interval can significantly: (1) elevate plasma and brain phytoestrogens levels and (2) decrease brain calcium-binding proteins without altering brain androgen metabolizing enzymes.

PMID: 10720621

#7 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

I saw this company at the NPA Las Vegas show.

I tried to ask about the details, but the rep was not very forthcoming, probably because of the RevGenetics logo on my shirt at the time, not sure. I figure more studies would be found online, but not much as of yet.

They had a pretty booth though.... maybe we will see more findings as more studies are considered.

A

#8 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

Someone here brought this product up a few months back, and not much was said then. Probably because there wasn't (and still isn't) any non-biased info out on it. I did email 2 of the 3 people mentioned in the write-ups for the product, but I don't really expect any replies.

A quick google finds promo articles going back to 2004 or so:

http://www.uwm.edu/N...4.11/moyer.html
http://buswire.ocr.w...ecqa/200501.php
http://www.eurekaler...--ubr102706.php

They also have a "Pro" version (http://www.prevagenpro.com) supposedly only available through "Health Practitioners". Yet if you click on the order button for the regular version, you are taken to a page that says they only accept call in orders right now, and "operators are standing by...to take your order of Prevagen and Prevagen Professional".

Although not a related product, I can't help but think of Protandim. Maybe Bikenut will get some and let us know how it affects his hairline. J/K biknut! :-)

#9 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

mmmmm, jellyfish

#10 neogenic

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

It absolutely is shady and infomercial-esque in the way it sounds...and yet, I like digging in to stuff like this. As I said above, we often get questions from the supplement-uninformed and this question could come from anyone. I thought it'd be interesting to throw this one at a highly intelligent group and see what comes out of it.

#11 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Okay Prevagen has been available online as a supplement since early September now. While independent research on benefits on humans is scant to say the least, the reviews I have found on the net (all pasted in below) look promising. Treat these 'reviews' with a grain of salt of course but it does make me want to try it - the effects seem rather strong for a supplement from the 'reviews'. Also from my reading, the fact that the company producing the substance (Quincy Bioscience) is so focused on the one ingredient (Aequorin) and seems to have invested heavily in it, makes me think that there could be something special here...

http://www.iherb.com...963065792294847

Average Rating: Based on1Review(s)
5/5 Great Product, October 24, 2007
By from United States WI
i ordered the Prevagen for my husband who has hand tremors.He was questionable about taking it so i told him we both would take it for a week and see how it helped us. I noticed while eating breakfast his hands weren't shaking.I mentioned it to him and he said probably the Prevagen is working.Maybe we should get some more and try it a little longer if it isn't to costly. So I'm going to order our second bottle. For me I seemed to not get as tired and selpt better.

http://www.amazon.co...customerReviews

5/5 Migraine miracle/memory recall, October 20, 2007
By Nancy - See all my reviews

Anyone who suffers with migraine headaches should purchase Prevagen. This supplement is a miracle. I have suffered with migraine headaches for years. After a couple of days using Prevagen I am migraine free. Imagine waking up each day headache free feeling refreshed and being able to look into the bright sunlight headache free. Then another wonderful breakthrough. For two years I suffered with word loss. I would start a conversation and forget the word to end the sentence with or forget my thought. After taking Prevagen this has totally disappeared. I am able to hold a conversation without embarrassment. I have complete word recall and lately have noticed I am able to recall more vocabulary words. Migraine free and word recall what more could I ask for. Thank you Prevagen. Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

5/5 Prevagen reduces pain and helps me sleep through the night!!!, October 16, 2007
By John (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews

Prevagen has changed my life. I have a herniated disc in my lower back and a bone spur in my neck. I have suffered through aches and pains for several years. I started taking Prevagen about 1 1/2 months ago and have had a SIGNIFICANT reduction in pain. I also noticed that most nights I am sleeping all the way through to the morning without waking up once (another 1st for me). Finally, I find myself having a good energy level at the end of the day. These benefits might seem small to some but have made all the difference in my life. Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

5/5 Prevagen really works!!!!, October 15, 2007
By Michael (Menomonee Falls WI) - See all my reviews

I have been using Prevagen for almost two months and am very happy to report that:
1) My knees have stopped aching. I have tried glucosamine and did not notice a difference but with Prevagen my knee pain was at least 80& gone within the first week. My back and neck also quit aching. I have not felt the need for a chiropractor since taking the product.
2) I'm sleeping much better. Previously I was getting up three or four times a night. Now I get up maybe once a night and wake up in the morning feeling well rested.
3) My bruised hands returned to normal in a period of a few days where previously the bruises had been there for weeks.
4) I feel better overall mentally, seem to think clearer and am better able to handle stress.
This product is the real thing and I highly recommend it.
Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
5/5 Grandpa finishes crosswords now, October 4, 2007
By Tom (Chicago) - See all my reviews

I bought this product for my father, 81 on the recommendation of a friend who is a doctor. After about a week Dad said he didn't notice a difference. He called me last week to tell me he finished the crossword puzzle in newspaper for the first time in years. He was thrilled! He's been able to come pretty close to finishing the crossword every day now for the past week or so.

My wife and I started taking it about two weeks ago. One odd thing I noticed is that I dream very vividly and actually remember a lot of what I dream. I didn't think much of it and didn't say anything to my wife because I knew she would think I was nuts. This morning she came downstairs and said "you wouldn't believe my dream last night" and then proceeded to tell me in great detail (more than I wanted to know actually) about her dream.

I have taken ginkgo and other memory enhancing supplements that were all a waste of money. This one is pretty amazing.
Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

#12 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

A couple of Q&A's from the FAQ:

Q) Why jellyfish?
A) The calcium-binding proteins found in a rare jellyfish are very similar to the age-fighting proteins contained within our bodies that decrease over time.  Prevagen is the only way to replace these proteins.

rare jellyfish? I wonder if they are a protected species...

If they are the only way to replace the proteins, they will by hunted down and become extinct if this takes off.

#13 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

From the testimonials, it sounds more like an analgesic than an anti-aging drug. Then again, maxwatt is using resveratrol as an analgesic, so who knows.

#14 gene

• 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:41 AM

From their website:

"In scientific studies Prevagen reduces cell death by up to 50%. You can Fight Aging!! Replenish age-fighting proteins with Prevagen."

Their scientific study was done by injecting the protein into the spinal column of rodents. This allows direct entry of the protein past the brain barrier.

The nutritional supplement is a protein which is consumed orally by humans. The protein will be broken down into the digestive system (just like chicken, or any other protein source you eat). The amino acids from the protein will be used to make other proteins-- any proteins (just like eating chicken) The protein will not replenish age-fighting proteins (except in the digestive track, before being broken down), but will be used by the body for general purposes. The initially consumed protein will not pass the brain barrier to protect neural tissue.

There may be a significan placebo effect at work.

#15 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:32 AM

The active ingredient Aequorin is simply a protein that has been used in Mitochondrial research as a simple dye or marker because of the fact that it glows under certain lighting conditions. All of the studies referenced are pointing to its use as a research tool (similar to injecting contrast to better see structures on an MRI).

The whole idea to use this as an anti-aging supplement is basically bullshit. Furthermore as someone mentioned it is a protein and is unlikely to survive digestion. But hey if you want your mitochondria to glow when viewed under specific wavelengths of light inject the stuff.

It's just a dye folks, but since it is used in so many interesting studies (as a simple dye), its easy to show some impressive references.... might as well create a proprietary formulation with Water as the active ingredient then you can reference most every scientific study ever done. Very clever shady marketing and false advertising.

Below is a study in Nature that discusses
"Rapid changes of mitochondrial Ca2+ revealed by specifically targeted recombinant aequorin"

Get it "revealed by aequorin" as in these changes were observed because this dye allowed them to be seen... whoo hoo

http://www.nature.co...s/358325a0.html
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#16 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

According to an earlier thread Click Me

The patent-pending supplement has been lengthy to bring to market because of initial supply issues. After discovering the calcium-binding properties of aequorin, it turned out that two tonnes of jelly fish were required to make just 125 mg of aequorin, or one supplement.

"We had to create a process that allowed it to be created in bulk," said Underwood.

Quincy devised a method to produce the protein through an expression system - meaning no jellyfish are actually necessary anymore to make Prevagen.

#17 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

Another anecdotal experience from taking Prevagen is pasted in below. Note in the user's last paragraph she does mention a negative effect of the supplement on Quality of Sleep which does make her sound reliable and not just a company 'plant' to push product sales along...

http://www.femailhea...s.blogspot.com/

Sunday, November 04, 2007
Prevagen

At the risk of sounding like I've joined the lunatic fringe, this stuff is rather amazing. I've written to the manufacturer for information on human safety data before I wholeheartedly endorse its use.

I have noticed much improved alertness, notably first thing in a.m., after lunch when I struggle at times to stay awake as patients drone on and on and the fluorescent lights buzz softly, and in the evenings over the New York Times crossword puzzle. Most remarkably, I find my essential tremor much diminished.

Essential tremors often have a genetic basis with an autosomal dominant inheritance pattern. If one of your parents had shaky hands or head, there is a 50% chance that you will develop same as you age. It is called an action tremor because it is notable as you extend your arm in action such as using a pen or an eating utensil. Other kinds of tremor are called resting tremors (self-explanatory) or intention tremors that manifest at the end of an action such as pointing at something. The latter two kinds are commonly seen with Parkinson's Disease.

While essential tremors are relatively harmless, they certainly get in the way of everyday activities such as eating. Mine makes it very hard for me to remove sutures, especially teeny tiny ones in facial laceration. If I was a surgeon, I would probably not be a surgeon anymore.

I noted yesterday that the tremor in my left hand was much improved, and today I proved it by easily spooning tea to mouth without spilling or embarrassing myself in front of the cat who was the only one present to witness the experiment.

Prevagen? Coincidence? Psychosomatic tremor reduction? Time will tell. Meanwhile, as Prevagen works by binding calcium within the cell, I wonder about other calcium related duties such as building strong bones and keeping them that way. Do I lose my tremor AND my bone density? I'll let you know what Quincy Biosciences has to say on the subject.

Posted by Femail doc at 11:36 AM

Monday, November 05, 2007
Prevagen safety data

arrived by e-mail today from the manufacturer. Looks good to me, I plan to keep downing this little biolumenescent molecule from the sea in hopes that it will keep my lights on as I age.

Posted by Femail doc at 8:22 PM

https://www.blogger....785857433384459
Femail doc said...
Prevagen sops up all that pesky calcium out of your aging cells where it particularly interferes with functioning of neurons. I don't understand why that action makes me feel more awake except maybe that my brain cells must be so besotted with calcium at times that they can hardly be bothered to transmit an electrical impulse to their next-door neighbors.

I love the clarity of mind from Prevagen and the ease of awakening. I especially like having my left hand free of tremor. Last night when we were out to dinner, I enjoyed drinking wine using my left hand (just to show off). I do not love the negative effects of Prevagen on my QoS [Quality of Sleep] (see next post) finding that I often awaken in the night and feel a bit disoriented by the disconnect between how awake I am and how it is so not time to get up. I hope that effect diminishes with time, but as a result, I am not using Prevagen every day. My choice seems to be shake and sleep or steady but awake.

7:42 AM

#18 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:29 AM

Started taking one capsule per AM with breakfast a few days ago. Haven't noticed anything at all so far.

#19 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

Another anecdotal experience from taking Prevagen is pasted in below. Note in the user's last paragraph she does mention a negative effect of the supplement on Quality of Sleep which does make her sound reliable and not just a company 'plant' to push product sales along...

http://www.femailhea...s.blogspot.com/

Sunday, November 04, 2007
Prevagen

At the risk of sounding like I've joined the lunatic fringe, this stuff is rather amazing. I've written to the manufacturer for information on human safety data before I wholeheartedly endorse its use.

I have noticed much improved alertness, notably first thing in a.m., after lunch when I struggle at times to stay awake as patients drone on and on and the fluorescent lights buzz softly, and in the evenings over the New York Times crossword puzzle. Most remarkably, I find my essential tremor much diminished.

Essential tremors often have a genetic basis with an autosomal dominant inheritance pattern. If one of your parents had shaky hands or head, there is a 50% chance that you will develop same as you age. It is called an action tremor because it is notable as you extend your arm in action such as using a pen or an eating utensil. Other kinds of tremor are called resting tremors (self-explanatory) or intention tremors that manifest at the end of an action such as pointing at something. The latter two kinds are commonly seen with Parkinson's Disease.

While essential tremors are relatively harmless, they certainly get in the way of everyday activities such as eating. Mine makes it very hard for me to remove sutures, especially teeny tiny ones in facial laceration. If I was a surgeon, I would probably not be a surgeon anymore.

I noted yesterday that the tremor in my left hand was much improved, and today I proved it by easily spooning tea to mouth without spilling or embarrassing myself in front of the cat who was the only one present to witness the experiment.

Prevagen? Coincidence? Psychosomatic tremor reduction? Time will tell. Meanwhile, as Prevagen works by binding calcium within the cell, I wonder about other calcium related duties such as building strong bones and keeping them that way. Do I lose my tremor AND my bone density? I'll let you know what Quincy Biosciences has to say on the subject.

Posted by Femail doc at 11:36 AM

Monday, November 05, 2007
Prevagen safety data

arrived by e-mail today from the manufacturer. Looks good to me, I plan to keep downing this little biolumenescent molecule from the sea in hopes that it will keep my lights on as I age.

Posted by Femail doc at 8:22 PM

https://www.blogger....785857433384459
Femail doc said...
Prevagen sops up all that pesky calcium out of your aging cells where it particularly interferes with functioning of neurons. I don't understand why that action makes me feel more awake except maybe that my brain cells must be so besotted with calcium at times that they can hardly be bothered to transmit an electrical impulse to their next-door neighbors.

I love the clarity of mind from Prevagen and the ease of awakening. I especially like having my left hand free of tremor. Last night when we were out to dinner, I enjoyed drinking wine using my left hand (just to show off). I do not love the negative effects of Prevagen on my QoS [Quality of Sleep] (see next post) finding that I often awaken in the night and feel a bit disoriented by the disconnect between how awake I am and how it is so not time to get up. I hope that effect diminishes with time, but as a result, I am not using Prevagen every day. My choice seems to be shake and sleep or steady but awake.

7:42 AM

More from the same person (Judith Paley) as in my above quote...

http://femailhealthnews.blogspot.com/

Friday, November 23, 2007
Prevagen on sale

For those of you who've been intrigued by the jellyfish/brain connection and are considering giving Prevagen a try, Amazon.com is having a one-day sale today; a one month's supply for $40 plus an additional 25% off! That ends up half price compared with the Prevagen web-site.

I'm still impressed with the effects of this supplement. I continue to enjoy less fatigue, less tremor, and here's the newest benefit...or coincidence. I generally avoid alcohol as it makes me extremely tired, like end the evening now and go to sleep tired. Last night, I drank one glass of wine and had no sleepiness with it whatsoever (and this after entirely too much dessert with the T-day dinner!).

Posted by Femail doc at 7:57 AM 2 comments

Labels: The mind and its matter, Wonderful stuff

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

That which makes jellyfish glow in the deep..., November 12, 2007
By Judith Paley (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews

may save your aging brain. And who better than an aging internist to take a keen interest in getting all body parts to the finish line intact? I paid particular attention, then, when I came across this new concept in neuroprotection.

Calcium is, as we know, a good thing. In particular, it holds up our joints and activates our nerves. When neurons are stimulated by a passing impulse via a transmitting molecule called glutamate, they open up their pores and let the calcium trickle in. Not pour in, mind you, just trickle. If they get over-goosed with glutamate, a situation called excitoxicity, too much calcium enters the neuron which upsets it unto death.

Enter aequorin. Scientists have long called on the jellyfish protein as a 'calcium reporter.' In other words, add aequorin to a cell preparation in a laboratory, the aequorin hooks up with the calcium, and bingo! that which is calcium-laden within the cell lights up like a jellyfish.

Mark Underwood of Quincy Bioscience figured out that giving aequorin to rats through the golden months of their lives helped them hang onto the ability to perform tricks despite their advancing age. Rats normally get less tricky as they age because they lose their calcium-binding proteins which allows free calcium to ravage their brains while their tricks leak out. But rats plus jellyfish protein equals peak performance at mazes and bells throughout their lifespan.

I was pleased to recently hear that Prevagen was now available to humans. I fully expected a product that I would take because it would protect me against losing my marbles on down the road but which would not particularly change my day-to-day functioning. To my surprise, not only did Prevagen clear my head of early morning fogs and the urge to nap after lunch, by day three, a longstanding tremor in my left arm was nearly gone. The only downside I've noted with the use of Prevagen is that it interferes with the soundness of my sleep.

#20 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,071 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

Seems like hype to me. I am not 'buying it'. The protein is supposed to reduce cell death.....and according to prevagens maker's this fights aging. I am afraid it is a lot more complicated than that. Also, I am always wary of the 'personal experience' reports. If users start claiming it cures all kinds of ailments from tremors to hearing loss (on thier website) that is usually a red flag for marketing hype or the placebo affect.

#21 denverdoc

• 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

Seems like hype to me. I am not 'buying it'. The protein is supposed to reduce cell death.....and according to prevagens maker's this fights aging. I am afraid it is a lot more complicated than that. Also, I am always wary of the 'personal experience' reports. If users start claiming it cures all kinds of ailments from tremors to hearing loss (on thier website) that is usually a red flag for marketing hype or the placebo affect.

Just had to chime in here that I am not employed by Quincy Biosciences, just an aging lady internist interested in not going down the path of dementia that both my parents followed. As I said, I fully expected no benefits whatsoever from this product, just a theoretical neuroprotective boost based on protein binding that unwanted calcium in my neurons. I am at a loss as to how to explain the effects that I've noted--perhaps an essential tremor is a problem with calcium balance? And what does calcium binding have to do with alcohol tolerance? This stuff is so good it's almost scary.

#22 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

Just had to chime in here that I am not employed by Quincy Biosciences, just an aging lady internist interested in not going down the path of dementia that both my parents followed. As I said, I fully expected no benefits whatsoever from this product, just a theoretical neuroprotective boost based on protein binding that unwanted calcium in my neurons. I am at a loss as to how to explain the effects that I've noted--perhaps an essential tremor is a problem with calcium balance? And what does calcium binding have to do with alcohol tolerance? This stuff is so good it's almost scary.

I've been taking it a bit over a week, so far. Not sure I've much to report except, perhaps, increased (and annoying) jaw tension. Have you noticed anything like this?

Thanks!

#23 denverdoc

• 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:07 AM

When I first started it, I was borderline unpleasantly hyped up. Trouble sleeping. I quit taking it for a few days, then restarted and had none of the speedy sort of feeling return. Now it's more a pleasant alertness. Others I know taking it report the same kind of feeling. Go figure.

#24 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

Started taking one capsule per AM with breakfast a few days ago. Haven't noticed anything at all so far.

tintinet,
If you are not seeing any positive results why not take some more of the Prevagen?
You could try one capsule per AM and one capsule per evening every day.
Why not take some two capsules per AM and two capsules per evening every day.
The supplement seems to be safe enough even at those relatively high dosages (although you never know of course).

I know it is expensive but why not try the higher dosing strategy for a few days as, from a few anecdotal experiences in this thread, this supplement seems quite interesting/useful...

#25 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:48 AM

tintinet,
If you are not seeing any positive results why not take some more of the Prevagen?
The supplement seems to be safe enough even at those relatively high dosages (although you never know of course).

I know it is expensive but why not try the higher dosing strategy for a few days as, from a few anecdotal experiences in this thread, this supplement seems quite interesting/useful...

Thanks for the advice. I may try increasing the dose, but might also try a rest period. My jaw seems to be continuously clenching since I started taking Prevagen. OTOH, the jaw issue might be entirely incidental to Prevagen supplementation.

Edited by tintinet, 05 December 2007 - 08:48 AM.

#26 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

tintinet,

So far, evrything posted is entirely consistent with the placebo effect.

#27 denverdoc

• 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

tintinet,

So far, evrything posted is entirely consistent with the placebo effect.

Well, placebo or not, the benefits of this supplement for me will keep me coming back for more.

More interesting than instant skepticism would be a discussion as to why this supplement might work for some and not for others. Perhaps some of us have deficiencies in calcium-binding proteins--don't make enough, break it down too quickly, or maybe some single gene locus mutation that produces faulty CBPs. And maybe those of us who respond to Prevagen are a subset of those who will go on to develop neurodegenerative diseases.

My father who checked out with Alzheimer's also struggled with essential tremors and motion sickness in his life. Maybe these conditions represent a spectrum of symptoms associated with an inherited CBP abnormality, and the fact that I also deal with them suggests that I am at high risk for developing AD. Of course, if I never develop AD, I'll never know if it's coincidental to Prevagen and nightly crossword puzzles or a result, and if I do develop AD, I won't give a hoot one way or another.

All conjecture, but food for thought.

#28 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

http://www.businessw...=20080117005041

January 17, 2008 04:35 AM Eastern Time

Are Jellyfish the Lost Link to the Fountain of Youth?

Prevagen™, a Recently Launched Product Based on Jellyfish Protein, is Making Big Waves with Health Conscious Consumers
Fitness & Health I
MADISON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For many people who conjure up an image of a jellyfish, a slippery denizen of the deep comes to mind. But since September 1st, 2007, when Prevagen, a dietary supplement designed to fight the aging process became available, many consumers now think of jellyfish as a key to a healthier life.

Yet the jellyfish-to-Prevagen story didn’t happen overnight. Over 12 years of scientific research went into Prevagen, the first product in the marketplace designed to fight the aging process with jellyfish protein.

For millions of people who dream about aging gracefully free of neurodegenerative diseases that their parents might have had, or of having more energy, better concentration, sharper, better memory retention, and sounder sleep, Quincy Bioscience of Madison, Wisconsin has been working for years to help people realize their dreams.

When the company launched Prevagen, they announced the supplement was designed to help fight the aging process by utilizing a calcium-binding protein found in jellyfish. The supplement, which is produced by recombinant protein technologies so no jellyfish are sacrificed, replaces age-fighting proteins which are lost in the normal process of aging.

Mark Underwood, president of Quincy Bioscience explains how the jellyfish protein aequorin works. “Aequorin interacts with calcium and regulates the actions that control the health of cells involved in learning, memory, focus and concentration. As we age, the protein levels diminish. Prevagen works to replace those proteins and ensure optimal brain function.”

Underwood himself has been taking Prevagen for several months and he reports a marked increase in concentration and memory. If you’re trying to visualize how jellyfish can help your brain functions, think of it this way. “Our brain cells can die if we don’t have proteins like those found in jellyfish,” says Underwood. “It’s similar to not having a surge protector on your computer.”

Ever since Prevagen entered the market, people have benefited from that “surge protector” found in jellyfish protein. These are some of their stories.

Champion runner’s results

Nancy Linday, former champion marathon runner from New York City, has reason to be concerned about Alzheimer’s disease. Since she watched her mother struggle with the disease, Linday is following a supplement program based on research results of biomedical deficiencies that could trigger the onset of Alzheimer’s later in life.

Now Linday has made a change to her health program. “When I read about Prevagen in the June 2007 issue of Health Sciences Institute newsletter, I decided to try it as soon as it came on the market in September. After taking Prevagen for two weeks, to my absolute delight and complete surprise, I found that the persistent muscular/skeletal problems that I have had for years eased dramatically.” Linday says the improvement was so pronounced that she gave two weeks of Prevagen to friends with knee problems and lower back problems.

Linday says she was stunned at how much better she felt so soon after taking Prevagen. “I decided to call Quincy Bioscience to ask if others had experienced similar results. When I did, I discovered that many people had contacted the company to report that their knee and back pain, balance problems and other health concerns had improved after a short time taking Prevagen.”

The former champion runner has found Prevagen to be so helpful for pain she has stopped taking Naproxen. “After taking one 10mgs capsule of Prevagen for two weeks, I started taking a second 10mgs capsule. As a result, I no longer need to take any naproxen after doing my rehab exercises.”

From the North Woods of Wisconsin

Roberta Krouth, who owns the Marinette, Wisconsin, R & K Unlimited Health Food store with her husband Ken, understands first-hand the needs and interests of her customers. The Krouth’s store, about an hour north of Green Bay sells health food and supplements and has been a mainstay of the community since 1994.

In this small community, where many people know just about everyone else in town, the Krouths are used to customers talking to them about their health concerns. About half of the store’s business is dedicated to selling supplements. Roberta says, “These are health conscious customers looking for safe and effective ways to combat illnesses and issues associated with aging.”

When Roberta’s customers talk to her about their chronic back and hip pain, fatigue, and other ailments, she empathizes. “I have bursitis in both hips and a painful condition in my back--my lower vertebrae move back and forth. For quite some time, it’s been difficult to go down steps without going very slowly, one step at a time.” Krouth’s physician has used a laser pen to decrease the pain in her back. “I’ve also tried acupuncture and herbs without much help,” she says.

During a recent visit to her podiatrist, he suggested she try new orthopedic shoes in an attempt to decrease her pain. “At the same time he suggested new shoes, I heard about Prevagen. Fortunately, I tried Prevagen, because that’s what has made a difference in my life.”

After taking the supplement for three weeks, Krouth found that she can go up and down stairs almost effortlessly. “Sometimes I almost bounce down the steps,” she says. While she is not a “physical person,” she says Prevagen has given her more energy to do things that some people just take for granted. Before she started taking Prevagen, the pain in her hips and back made it difficult to get out of bed in the morning and put one foot in front of the other. Now, that has changed.

“I fully believe in it,” she says. “Prevagen is a marvelous product”

“We’re sitting on an explosion”

Prevagen’s status as an anti-aging supplement resulted from years of thorough laboratory research conducted by neuroscientist James Moyer, PhD, and colleagues at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Their experiments focused on the role of aequorin’s calcium binding properties in neurodegenerative diseases like stroke and dementia. Once the ability of aequorin to protect brain cells from death was proven and the research results were published and presented at national scientific conferences, Underwood and his team at Quincy Biosciences concentrated their efforts on the manufacturing and launch of Prevagen as a dietary supplement.

Within weeks of its availability both online and in stores, consumer feedback began pouring in. While Prevagen’s ability to fight the effects of aging and slow the process of neurodegeneration may be difficult to measure in a short amount of time, Prevagen users called and emailed to share the many immediate and measurable positive effects they were experiencing. Like Nancy Linday who quickly felt relief from muscular/skeletal problems, and Roberta Krouth who was thrilled about diminished hip and low back pain, as well as increased energy levels, Prevagen users are reporting a wide range of physical benefits. Improved sleep, relief from headaches, lowered blood pressure – these are only a few of the testimonials. While it is touted as an anti-aging supplement, Prevagen is clearly providing more than what its label pronounces.

How can this be? For one clinician in New York City who sees thousands of patients each year and now recommends Prevagen for a variety of ailments, the answer is rather simple. Prevagen works by replenishing calcium binding proteins that exist in our body. These proteins play a critical role in the regulation of calcium molecules, and about calcium – well, it is one of the most ubiquitous components of our overall health. In particular, the movement, or “flux,” of calcium as its levels change inside our cells can affect many bodily functions.

Dr. Robert Pastore, a PhD nutritionist and member of numerous professional associations including the National Association of Nutritional Professionals, the New York Academy of Sciences and the American College of Nutrition, hosts a weekly health talk radio program in New York. Last fall he hosted Underwood on his show and learned about Prevagen. His enthusiasm for this novel product is infectious.

“I think we’re on to something huge with Prevagen, and I don’t even think we fully realize what we have here,” says Pastore. “Calcium flux is huge. We’re sitting on an explosion.”

Like Underwood, Pastore had long been interested in jellyfish research and recognized the potential of a calcium binding protein like Prevagen. Now that the product is available he is using it in his practice and is optimistic about the potential positive effects it may have in his patients with illnesses as diverse as Alzheimer’s disease, autism, even breast cancer.

The very first person to whom Pastore recommended Prevagen was himself. “I noticed a difference and a change in the way my brain works after only three nights,” he says. “I work very long hours and I’m always juggling so many things; as I tell the medical students I teach – it’s all about learning how to “spin plates.” So this requires a constant state of pure focus on the task at hand. But the clarity I’m finding with Prevagen is amazing. It’s helping me take my work to the next level.”

Calm and focused

Dr. Pastore is not the only person to report a tangible change in mental status since using Prevagen. Portland, Oregon public relations director, Linda Dahan was attracted to Prevagen after learning about the strong science behind the product. “My father has Parkinson’s disease so I was interested in adding Prevagen to my daily regimen. I was thrilled to learn it had been developed to fight the debilitating affects often associated with anti-aging and neurological diseases.”

One of the first things Dahan, 57, noticed after taking Prevagen was a feeling of calmness. “Right after I started taking Prevagen I have felt calmer, more focused and I have more energy.”

Something else has happened in the Dahan household that Linda describes as “pleasantly topsy-turvy.” Her husband Sam, a nuclear scientist, is a quiet, thoughtful, patient person. “By contrast, I am a high energy person who sometimes lacks Sam’s ability to focus. But since we started taking Prevagen, Sam has more energy and I’ve gained focus and concentration skills.”

One of the things Dahan enjoys about taking the supplement is her improved memory retention. “I think more clearly now. My memory has actually improved in the first six weeks of taking Prevagen; I don’t stop in mid-sentence to search for the right word.”

Like many people who are taking Prevagen, Dahan says she sleeps more soundly. Summing up her experiences with Prevagen, she says, “I feel like I washed my windows and can see more clearly now.”

Headache relief means improved quality of life

The story begins to repeat itself, the more you listen to surprised and satisfied Prevagen users. Barbara Christian-Hart, an administrative assistant for a sales and marketing firm in Sarasota, Florida, became interested in trying Prevagen after hearing about the improved focus and mental clarity it imparts. What she did not expect however was relief from debilitating headaches.

The 46-year-old was accustomed to migraine headaches, but as a poor pill-taker and susceptible to side effects of headache medication, she suffered through the pain. Something about Prevagen inspired her to try it. After three days of taking the supplement, the pain and pressure from a migraine that had plagued her for several weeks was completely gone. She has taken the supplement every day since then and plans to continue doing so for the rest of her life.

“Of course I was real skeptical at first. You see products all the time, but I won’t just take something because it’s the newest thing – usually I wait and see,” says Christian-Hart. “And unlike many pills that taste or smell badly, Prevagen does not. That has really benefited me.”

From a TV news journalist’s perspective

Teri Barr, a veteran TV journalist in Madison, Wisconsin, has covered thousands of news stories, but the stories she did about Quincy Bioscience’s research with jellyfish protein, were news reports she won’t soon forget.

Barr, a reporter who also anchors the news on WISC-TV, the local CBS affiliate in Madison, says “I immediately knew the jellyfish story was a great story and that it had ‘legs.’ We had never done a story about anti-aging and jellyfish before so we knew our audience would be intrigued.”

She was the first journalist in Madison to cover the news behind Prevagen. After the April 2007 on-camera interview with Mark Underwood, a follow-up story aired a week before the product was launched nationwide.

“The story about Quincy Bioscience attracted my attention as a news reporter due to its unique nature, but it also hit a nerve with viewers. Important news about health and aging affects everyone. Everyday, more people are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s but it is not everyday that you hear about an effort in process to try and help curb this and other diseases.”

The story brought in a tremendous number of e-mails and phone calls to the TV station. “We aired a second story in part due to our viewers’ response to the first piece,” says Barr. “Our coverage about Prevagen created a lot of buzz. When you talk about a product designed to fight aging, it affects a lot of people.”

Contacts
The Blue Waters Group for Quincy Bioscience
Patrick Strickler
thebluewatersgroup@yahoo.com
  • dislike x 1

#29 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

Some more 'reviews' of Prevagen from iherb are pasted below. Tintinet did you try the higher dose of this one? Have any other reliable forum members tried it yet?
I would be interested in hearing more of its effects on relatively healthy young people and those with ADHD...

http://www.iherb.com...mp;utm_medium=f

5/5 stars
Great product for persons with Parkinsons Disease, February 23, 2008
from United States CA
After just taking 1 capsule I noticed a significant reduction of tremor. I also noticed that my movements have speeded up, my energy level and alertness have improved. I have been taking this for just under one week now and intend to continue taking it

5/5 stars
Natural anti-depressant, March 11, 2008
from United States CA
Been taking this for anti-aging, but noticed an unintended benefit, it lifts the mood and increases energy. I suspect it allows a more abundant production of neurotransmitters, as it binds to hindering calcium ions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

For whatever reason, I have been taking it again for the past month or so, along with centrophenoxine, at the same dosages I had been taking previously: one prevagen tablet QAM and 250 mg centrophenoxine BID. This time no jaw sensation or headache. This go 'round I really notice nothing at all I can specifically attribute to Prevagen. Perhaps I'll increase my dose shortly. If so, I'll post an update.

Some more 'reviews' of Prevagen from iherb are pasted below. Tintinet did you try the higher dose of this one? Have any other reliable forum members tried it yet?
I would be interested in hearing more of its effects on relatively healthy young people and those with ADHD...

http://www.iherb.com...mp;utm_medium=f

5/5 stars
Great product for persons with Parkinsons Disease, February 23, 2008
from United States CA
After just taking 1 capsule I noticed a significant reduction of tremor. I also noticed that my movements have speeded up, my energy level and alertness have improved. I have been taking this for just under one week now and intend to continue taking it

5/5 stars
Natural anti-depressant, March 11, 2008
from United States CA
Been taking this for anti-aging, but noticed an unintended benefit, it lifts the mood and increases energy. I suspect it allows a more abundant production of neurotransmitters, as it binds to hindering calcium ions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users