Photo
- - - - -

Heavy metal concentrations in Piracetam

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 thegreatrowah

• 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

I've noticed that on the bulk nutrition website, when one performs a search for piracetam and finds their brand of piracetam powder, it states clearly in the product specification label that there is a heavy metal concentration of less than or equal to 20 ppm.

This scares me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

The Great RowaH

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:53 PM

As far as I know, there are heavy metals in just about anything and everything you could possibly put into your body.

If you would look closely, it says <=20ppm and the current batch (lot #) complies. This means that it is under 20ppm, meaning that it can legally be sold. This was also for 'ALL' heavy metals. It may only have .1ppm lead etc...

Understand?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

As far as I know, there are heavy metals in just about anything and everything you could possibly put into your body.

Certainly not at the part per million level. I've heard it said that there's a part per trillion of everything in everything... Even that is an exaggeration, but it points out that as analytical techniques continue to improve, we have to be sensible about the level at which we get excited about a toxin. I certainly wouldn't voluntarily consume 20 micrograms of lead every day if I could help it.

If you would look closely, it says <=20ppm and the current batch (lot #) complies. This means that it is under 20ppm, meaning that it can legally be sold. This was also for 'ALL' heavy metals. It may only have .1ppm lead etc...

Right. I'd feel better if they spelled out the concentrations, or even said <1ppm, or whatever. 20ppm seems like kind of a loose standard for heavy metals.

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

is BAD

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:37 AM

ok ok that was lame. But hey.....I had to go there there. Just one time

#6 thegreatrowah

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

Guys, I was just thinking, is it possible to go through chelation therapy after using all of these products to rid our bodies of these heavy metals?

#7 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

Guys, I was just thinking, is it possible to go through chelation therapy after using all of these products to rid our bodies of these heavy metals?

I take chlorella, alpha-lipoic acid, and soon enough IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) everyday whilst taking all my supps. I also make it a point to drink distilled water, which I've heard is a very mild chelator. I think this is adequate. Also, in the future, I will be going through rounds of calcium EDTA just to be sure. The multi-vitamin that I take everyday will 'hopefully' ensure that I never have any deficiencies BTW.

I think doing this while taking supps is a good idea as a preventative back up plan to combat possible high level heavy metal build-up within the body. Hey, not to mention all these chelators are also taken for various other health reasons. It is a win win situation! [thumb]

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

I thought it was funny Zoo.

#9 thegreatrowah

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

I take chlorella, alpha-lipoic acid, and soon enough IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) everyday whilst taking all my supps. I also make it a point to drink distilled water, which I've heard is a very mild chelator. I think this is adequate. Also, in the future, I will be going through rounds of calcium EDTA just to be sure. The multi-vitamin that I take everyday will 'hopefully' ensure that I never have any deficiencies BTW.

I think doing this while taking supps is a good idea as a preventative back up plan to combat possible high level heavy metal build-up within the body. Hey, not to mention all these chelators are also taken for various other health reasons. It is a win win situation! [thumb]

Cool, thank you for your feedback luv2increase. Might I ask your current progress with these drugs? Can you comment on their efficacy/side effects/tolerability?

#10 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

I've noticed that on the bulk nutrition website, when one performs a search for piracetam and finds their brand of piracetam powder, it states clearly in the product specification label that there is a heavy metal concentration of less than or equal to 20 ppm.

*Meep*, Warning: I think this thread originates from a MISUNDERSTANDING of chemical analysis values!

When something reads "<20 ppm or 20 or less than..." of heavy metals, bacteria, etc., that usually means that a standard
test detecting above 20 ppm of that contaminant was performed on the batch, and that this test came out negative.
It doesn't imply 'contains near 20 ppm of contaminant'. Also, for heavy metals, that seems almost a very normal
and ok value for environmental/pharma-/food-grade-product "contamination".

AFAIK it is only for things like dangerous bacteria in plant-derived material, that "search tests" are performed, in which case
the analysis says "none detected". Less than (some small ppm value) is a pretty common threshold for many tests of
contaminants, including heavy metals, chem residues, fungi, bacteria, etc. and can even mean there are NONE detected.

And checking this piracetam synthesis paper: www.springerlink.com/index/T008273757278546.pdf, it seems that it is made from common organic chemicals which should not be subject to more heavy metal or other toxic substances than is common in most products/the environment...

#11 thegreatrowah

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

It's still cause for concern, whether routine or not, am I correct? Assuming that it has a value of 10 ppm - 20 ppm, it still presents cause for concern to our health, especially since we will be taking this for a long time..

Using Google, I couldn't find suitable information about safe concentrations of lead in dietary supplements. All I could find was Health Canada's recommendation to keep objects of greater than or equal to 90 ppm of lead out of the mouths of children.

#12 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

thegreatrowah, all progress is going rather well! nootropic wise, all I'm taking is piracetam, choline bitartrate (not exactly a noot but support), acetyl-l-carnitine, and ginkgo (if you call that a noot), idebenone, and fish oil (I consider it a nootropic). I actually just started up again a couple weeks ago after a couple month break.

I also take an extensive list of supplements which will be even bigger once my order from iherb and bulknutrition get here. :)

You also need to realize that the heavy metals past the <= 20ppm cutoff. This is 'all' heavy metals tested for grouped into one category which includes lead. If you want to know the exact levels of lead, you'll have to order the piracetam from them and get your own heavy metal test done at a lab at your expense.

#13 thegreatrowah

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

Bleh, it'll be cheaper just to go for chelation therapy, especially since I can get chelating drugs for free thanks to my union ^_^

Thanks for your input guys. From what I have read, I can deduce that. . .

1) The heavy metal content of various nootropics are very low.

2) Chelating agents are effective in the long-term treatment of heavy metal poisoning.

I'll talk to my family doc about chelating agents. Thanks for the input everyone :D

#14 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:20 AM

Bleh, it'll be cheaper just to go for chelation therapy, especially since I can get chelating drugs for free thanks to my union ^_^

Thanks for your input guys.  From what I have read, I can deduce that. . .

1) The heavy metal content of various nootropics are very low.

2) Chelating agents are effective in the long-term treatment of heavy metal poisoning.

I'll talk to my family doc about chelating agents.  Thanks for the input everyone :D

Conventional medicine's prescription chelating agents are not pleasant and full of side-effects.

You'd be better of finding an alternative practitioner and get natural IV chelation therapy along with oral calcium EDTA. This is a lot safer and healthy. Of course there are risks to this type of chelation as well.

My program of alpha-lipoic acid, IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate), 3-4g daily vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and chlorella is a much more subtle safer and healthier approach.

I doubt your doctor would prescribe chelating agents without first a confirmation that you do in fact have high levels of heavy metals. Hey that rhymed.

#15 thegreatrowah

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:11 AM

You'd be better of finding an alternative practitioner and get natural IV chelation therapy along with oral calcium EDTA.

Are we talking naturopathic/homeopathic care here? I thought it was all a bunch of pseudo-science quackery.

#16 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:01 AM

lol @ coreyx

#17 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

lol @ coreyx

?

#18 thegreatrowah

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:18 AM

Perhaps he's merely demonstrating the side effects of lead poisoning?

Just kidding graatch ;)

#19 quicksilver

• 98 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:44 AM

You'd be better of finding an alternative practitioner and get natural IV chelation therapy along with oral calcium EDTA.

Are we talking naturopathic/homeopathic care here? I thought it was all a bunch of pseudo-science quackery.

EDTA may be helpful. MCP seems alittle more researched.

#20 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:59 AM

EDTA may be helpful. MCP seems alittle more researched.

Modified Citrus Pectin! Damn, I really do learn something new everyday. I just can't resist adding new supplements. I just may have to add this as well. Geeez!

#21 vrittis0

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

How many posts until I can start my own thread?

#22 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

How many posts until I can start my own thread?

You can start a thread now if you'd like. Click on 'New Topic' at the top right. It is the same thing as new thread.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

lol ;-)

well it took me a while ...well it's already late here ...but at the end ...muuhhaaa ;-)

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

is BAD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users