Photo
- - - - -

My Modafinil Experience

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mrmandrake

• 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

I thought I'd write a little about my experiences with modafinil on my first day of taking it. I got some in the mail today that were made by sunpharma with the intas name on it. It was ordered from pharma-orders and took about 10 days to get here. I took 100mg on an empty stomach around 4pm. I had a bit of a coughing fit immediately after that but that went away quickly. I felt the effects after about an hour and the full effects about 3-4 hours into it. I had a little shortness of breath but other than that, I felt a good amount of energy.

I was quite thirsty and drank about 64 fl oz of water in the first three hours. I am a student and am used to studying about 8-10 hours a day and it definitely made a difference in my energy levels. It is about 130am now, 9.5 hours later and I'm feeling sleepy. I feel like I could stay up if I wanted to but it's around bedtime for me. So far a good experience for me. I will update this if anything changes.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

It doesn't surprise me that people want to write about their experiances with psychostimulants. It seems as though they are still awake and writing about their experiances because they have all this energy.

This must be the 20th or so modafinil experiance I have read. You simply don't see that many people writing about their experiances with other meds that aren't pyschostims

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

It doesn't surprise me that people want to write about their experiances with psychostimulants. It seems as though they are still awake and writing about their experiances because they have all this energy.

This must be the 20th or so modafinil experiance I have read. You simply don't that many people writing about their experiances with other meds that aren't pyschostims

true, modafinil seems to be an exceptionally popular topic frequently seen

#4 quicksilver

• 98 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

This must be the 20th or so modafinil experiance I have read. You simply don't that many people writing about their experiances with other meds that aren't pyschostims

People like their addictive drugs.

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

Yes. Especially those from the -finil family

#6 goldenthree

• 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

What evidence is there that modafinil is addictive?

#7 revnik

• 121 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

Non by my knowledge, modafinil isn't addictive at all.

#8 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

In Sweden, Modafinil is Schedule IV - Substances with large therapeutic usage and low risk of dependency.

But that still means that they've deemed that it has a risk of forming dependency.

#9 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

Non by my knowledge, modafinil isn't addictive at all.

all stimulants are psychologically addictive, i dont care WHAT the manufacturers tell you

#10 goldenthree

• 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

Spacey, marijuana is a schedule one, which means high risk of dependency and no medicinal benefit. This is clearly not the case, I prefer my science to not come from scientists. Ajnast4r that isn't evidence that it is addictive. Caffeine is a stimulant, so is acetyl l carnitine. However neither are by any useful definition of addiction, addicting.

Study of the addictive potential of modafinil in naive and cocaine-experienced rats.
Deroche-Gamonet V, Darnaudéry M, Bruins-Slot L, Piat F, Le Moal M, Piazza PV.

Laboratoire de Psychobiologie des Comportements Adaptatifs, Domaine de Carreire, Rue Camille Saint-Saëns, 33077 Bordeaux, France.

RATIONALE: Modafinil is a drug that promotes wakefulness and, as such, is used to treat hypersomnia and narcolepsy. Preclinical and clinical studies suggest that modafinil could possess weak reinforcing effects in drug-experienced subjects. However, its abuse potential in drug-naive healthy individuals is still totally uninvestigated, despite the fact that availability of modafinil has recently increased.OBJECTIVES: The purpose of our study was to investigate the potential addictive properties of modafinil by testing its reinforcing effects in naive rats. The interactions of modafinil with the reinforcing effects of cocaine were also tested.METHODS: First, using i.v. self-administration and place conditioning tests, we studied the reinforcing and rewarding effects of a large range of doses of modafinil in naive rats. Second, we tested the influence of modafinil on reinforcing and incentive effects of cocaine in rats trained for cocaine self-administration. The effects of modafinil were compared with those of amphetamine and haloperidol.RESULTS: Modafinil did not produce reinforcing or rewarding effects and did not modify the effects of cocaine.CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that modafinil does not possess an addictive potential in naive individuals. Furthermore, it would be behaviorally distinct from classical central nervous system stimulants which are known to alter cocaine-induced effects. However, as shown previously in nonhuman primates and in humans, modafinil could possibly have reinforcing effects in cocaine-experienced individuals.

#11 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

modafinil is linked with dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens, which is largely regarded as the addiction pathway through which cocaine, alcohol and other drugs abuse act.

#12 goldenthree

• 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

Food also leads to an increase an extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens. Yes there is a correlation but that does not mean that modafinil is addictive.

#13 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

Spacey, marijuana is a schedule one, which means high risk of dependency and no medicinal benefit.  This is clearly not the case, I prefer my science to not come from scientists.  Ajnast4r that isn't evidence that it is addictive.  Caffeine is a stimulant, so is acetyl l carnitine.  However neither are by any useful definition of addiction, addicting. 

comparing the stimulation of alcar to caffeine is like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle... two totally different worlds.

and caffeine is absolutely addictive, both mentally and physically. the biological means through which we become addicted to caffeine are well known... and caffeine withdrawal is actually a DSM classifiable disorder.

#14 electric buddha

• 76 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

and caffeine is absolutely addictive, both mentally and physically. the biological means through which we become addicted to caffeine are well known... and caffeine withdrawal is actually a DSM classifiable disorder.

Indeed. I could use modafinil every day for two weeks, and still easily drop it at any point. I might feel a tiny bit tired the next day, but that's the extent of it. Caffeine, now finding myself without that is pure horror story material. I can't even imagine trying to cycle it the way I do with modafinil. Even half a day without my coffee and I'm a comatose wreck with a splitting headache. When I'm on a trip, I always hoard caffeine but seldom bring along any modafinil at all.

#15 goldenthree

• 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:37 AM

comparing the stimulation of alcar to caffeine is like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle... two totally different worlds.
Exactly my point, clumping all stimulants together into one category is ridiculous.

Yes caffeine is mildly addictive and has a minor withdrawal. However it is completely different from meth withdrawal. The addiction/withdrawal factors of a substance are not determined by the fact it is stimulating but by the manner in which it stimulates.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Caffeine is addictive (although in that sense a very mildly addictive compared to more notorious drugs), but keep in mind that most addictive drugs like heroin, cocaine, amphetamine etc are detrimental to health. Caffeine on the other hand has proven to have the opposite effect in moderate consumption.
Modafinil is a little more tricky. I have taken modafinil on and off for about 1,5 years. I have noticed that on its own (taken without other psychotropic substances) it has little euphoric effect nor does it cause significant rebound hypersomnia. Although when combined with e.g. nicotine it potentiates tobacco's pleasurable impact. Same goes with alcohol. So it's possible that it makes the brain release more dopamine in regard to dopaminergic drugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users