• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

"Ending Aging" - getting it on the shelves

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

It's all fine to have the online community pushing "Ending Aging", Aubrey's very cool book which is getting some good reviews, but if we're to maximize the impact of our community on the world at large the message MUST get into the faces of people who don't surf a lot...

One way is to ensure that the book is in the stores in physical form for people to see and touch...

I called up my local Chapters last week and was told that they didn't have any in stock but that it looked interesting and that they would order it. I called them today... and LO and BEHOLD... there are FIVE on the shelf!!! Other stores I called also have ordered stock! I am compelled thus to put out a

Call To Arms

Those of you who advocate healthy life-extension.... you may not be able to donate, you may not be able to afford to buy the book even, but you CAN make a phone call to your local book store and ask if they will order it. Think of the power of having the book in a physical building that thousands of people are walking by. I guarantee your 30 seconds of effort will be repaid in spades by the thousands of impressions the cover will make on people who wouldn't normally even be thinking of the topic!

Who's up for this? Let me know by posting here your interest and intent...

as an added incentive, all those who follow-up and update their posts with the number of stores they manage to convince to order.. (and I'm relying on the 'honor' system amongst immortalists as I will NOT be verifying) will be 'entered to win' some Methuselah Foundation swag.. and a free book..

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

most universities have a system in place where you send an order through to the library and they order. I could order one for every campus at my uni

#3 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

I could do some uni ordering also...why I didn't think of this before [glasses] Chapters would be an easy sell too...just get the books in the store, on the shelves - someone'll buy them. Awesome, Kev!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

most universities have a system in place where you send an order through to the library and they order. I could order one for every campus at my uni

That's a fantastic idea Zoo.. I'll have to check here at the UofA if they give us that kind of authority...

#5 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

Hi Kevin,

I think you have a great idea here.

I agree with your premise. I know people that go to B&N and browse as if it were a library. This is a very good way to help educate those that might not see it on the Internet. Every call is a guaranteed contact to at least one person, the person that answers the phone at the bookstore.

A few days ago I called Barnes and Noble in Garland, TX asking about "Ending Aging". This particular store normally had stock but had sold out. I asked if other stores in the Dallas area might have the book. The guy checked his computer and said it looked like all had some stock, there are about 20 B&N stores in the metroplex.

After I saw your initial message here, I started randomly calling B&N stores and called three other stores. So yes, they do carry the book "Ending Aging".

If everyone here at ImmInst called, or visited, book stores in their city or area, then most likely a majority of book stores in US (and some other countries) would end up stocking "Ending Aging".

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

When you order the book in at the university wait for it to come in and then do the following......

Let someone borrow it and then put it hold straight away ;) That way the person who borrowed the book will have to return it in 2 weeks and if they haven't finished reading it they will have to BUY a copy.

MMMMWWUUUUAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

#7 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

When you order the book in at the university wait for it to come in and then do the following......

Let someone borrow it and then put it hold straight away ;) That way the person who borrowed the book will have to return it in 2 weeks and if they haven't finished reading it they will have to BUY a copy.

MMMMWWUUUUAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

evil man... I like you.. [lol]

#8 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

For ordering purposes:

Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime (Hardcover)
by Aubrey de Grey (Author), Michael Rae (Author)
# Hardcover: 400 pages
# Publisher: St. Martin's Press; 1 edition (September 4, 2007)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0312367066
# ISBN-13: 978-0312367060
# Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.1 x 1.4 inches

#9 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

Did it end up in the science section?

#10 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

I will check if my university has same system! also the local library..

#11 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

Suggested it to Arizona State & U of Arizona libraries.

#12 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:21 AM

Done.

If you're stateside simply enter your zip code and you'll get a list of nearby book stores to call.

Google Maps - Book Stores

#13 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:24 AM

Done.

If you're stateside simply enter your zip code and you'll get a list of nearby book stores to call.

Google Maps - Book Stores

Heck, I just tried postal codes in 4 other countries and it worked too. f'n google rocks!

#14 simple

• 258 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Great advances on book "keeping"

#15 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers, Aubrey

#16 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

Aubrey, whilst getting the books out there is of course an integral step towards increasing sales and ultimately the meme have you thought of donating a few books high impact people/areas. Doing so would aim to increase sales through word of mouth.

#17 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Whilst it may sound a little on the dark side I would consider putting up posters in funeral homes where death i.e end-point of aging, is generally in everyone's mind. Hitting people at the vulnerable times is a cheap but effective marketing method. Having a poster that reads "Ending Aging" will have a huge impact in funeral homes. This would also work in nursinghomes as well.

#18 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

This is just a warning: if someone suggests a T-shirt that says

End Aging Now, Ask me How

1800-END-AGING

you will be automatically suspended (not cryonically) for 3 months. That's a joke of course. I just had the above idea enter my neurotic little mind and to be honest, I was disgusting in myself. Hence this post :)

#19 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:10 PM

A topic just hit the popular list at digg.com. It's titled "who wants to live forever"

There's a lengthy conversation happening as well. I've jumped in and plugged both the institutes missions as well as the book (END AGING).

Topics that hit the digg popular list usually bring about 20,000 hits a day to the origin website. I had a video once hit the popular list and in 3 days my hitcount went from 1000 to 50000.

hence, best get in there to promote the book everyone. Join the conversation and make the plug a soft one or else it will just come accross as viral marketing

here's the link

http://digg.com/offb...ver_2?offset=51

#20 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

I just thought I would update this thread and let people know that all six copies the local Chapters brought in have been sold... ;0 and for around here.. that's pretty good! If anyone else has any idea how the book is moving in their local bookstores it be great to know!

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

I never thought of asking the book store to order a bunch of copies. I didnt think it would work. I thought about ordering one for myself and then never going there to pick it up so they would put it on the shelf, but never did that.

I wonder how many of us have done this, and how we could coordinate and tally an effort like this... We could keep this thought on the top of our minds around here, but no doubt it will be buried deep in its grave here in the forums under nootropics and supplements topics soon.

Ide think we could create a simple sign up list and pin it, then promote it from time to time. Then you add your name and list the stores you have verified have added books like this:

Person 1
---------"address so and so added 5 books"
---------"address so and so added 3 books"

Person 2
---------"address so and so added 5 books"

Person 3

Simple, and the want to be a part of helping build a big list is the incentive. right? wrong?

#22 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:12 AM

did a similar thing when i was into reading comic books and japanese mangas. I used those "ordering"/"book request" terminals at Borders or Barnes&Noble to order the comic books i wanted to enjoy. if some had collection value, i bought them and read and looked the pictures again and again. there're instances when i got busy or didn't want to buy them, and so didn't go pick them up. lo' and behold, they were placed on Borders' bookshelves, free-browsing, and others bought 'em.

#23 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

Im going to include this project in a set of "rounds" we are doing.

For anybody who we contacted so far, round 1 was:
1.do you fold? If not can we convince you to right now, go to imminst.org/fah
2.can you print off the meetings schedule and post it by your computer, imminst.org/meetings
3.what is a project that you think life extension would be well of to get going, or get going more for exposure, can you add it to this bulleted google doc list. http://docs.google.c...evision=_latest

Round two might end up being any of various projects. Any requests for a project to add to it? There are many. We also need more people to help with the rounds. If you want to, then contact me right away and I can get you more of the details. We are going to coordinate the effort with a list of names contacted, who responded, who didnt, who only did the first 1 or 2 in the round, etc...

And then we will break up to cover more ground faster. So far from what we've gathered there is enough material for about maybe 10 rounds, and at around maybe 5000 known life extensionists to contact. That will take a while, and be a very simple and lucrative effort for life extension progress.

#24 A_FITZ

• 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

A good idea to help the main goal..

I like it.

A good idea to help the main goal..

I like it.

#25 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:22 AM

I'll check if I can get an order for my uni library too. That's a very good idea, thanks guys!

#26 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

The "rounds" I was talking about in my last response here has evolved into a project where we list simple things everybody can do to help with the cause for a volunteers page. We will then put something like, probably check boxes next to them and hopefully figure out some way to tally this stuff, like through a graph or a points system in members profiles here at imminst or a web page just for tallying these things. Buying a copy of ending aging for your local library will be on it. Im pretty sure that its going to be on a points system, and then giving a copy of the book would be worth x amount of points. Points could be the incentive themself and or a store can be made in the future that you can trade points in for, like imminst merchandise. That project is being outlined on line 30 of the projects list at LEEEP. The heading where the main part of the project begins is highlighted in blue.

#27 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

That project is on the top 5 list for LEEEP. After we finish up the structure of a few other projects we will be moving on to it.

I gave a copy of ending aging to my local library a few weeks ago and then put up pictures of the front cover on the bulletin boards at the mall across the street. I went back to the library a week later and the book was already checked out. I went back again yesterday and they have the book featured in their new books stand so its getting plenty of exposure. I thought that was great news and wanted to express that here. It works if you get the copies out. Try out that flyer thing too. Im going to continue putting out flyers like that at the mall now probably around once every month or two.

Ive also donated the book to a couple of universities but havent checked back yet.

#28 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

This is a fantastic idea... we need to get as much exposure as possible.

#29 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Is everybody else giving out copies of this book and others, and if so Im wondering why not.

When I gave a copy to my local library, somebody checked it out that week. This meming is crucial. I also found that one library I went to already had a copy. So people are susceptible to this. They want the book, and dont just leave it in the dusty corners of libraries. A lot of people go to libraries. Also, the more we meme this around the internet and on posters and on tv and everything the more people are going to want to go and look for such books. We definetly want them to be there when they go looking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users